Amazon LOTR Show adds Bryan Cogman of Game of Thrones

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Amazon LOTR Show adds Bryan Cogman of Game of Thrones

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Cogman, one of the three main screenwriters for Game of Thrones, will be joining the Amazon show as either a director or a consultant: his job on GOT was to ensure that the show remained as faithful to the George R.R. Martin novels as possible. Whether this is good news or not remains to be seen - I've seen both positive and negative reactions to the news, with some saying his fantasy-loremaster status ensures that the show will have a purist tone, and some noting that Cogman diverged from the Martin novels in a controversial Game of Thrones episode featuring a brutal rape scene.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/ ... hrones-vet
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Re: Amazon LOTR Show adds Bryan Cogman of Game of Thrones

Postby Elmtree » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Hmmm.... so it he a writer who will ensure the program is true to Tolkien? Or is he a writer who will make it as graphic as Game of Thrones? Is this show going to be a Game of Thrones knock off? Or will it still be Tolkien?

I will still be surprised if Amazon gets this right. Peter Jackson made some missteps with LOTR imo but overall he did an amazing job keeping the spirit true to Tolkien (I know Christopher disagrees). I guess we shall see what we see. :-/
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Re: Amazon LOTR Show adds Bryan Cogman of Game of Thrones

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:58 am

Well, he seems to be a Tolkien purist, I think. It doesn't look like the show will be a Game of Thrones knock-off just yet (though it's possible) but I think something that should be kept in mind is that this show is going to be set in the Second Age of Middle-earth: i.e this is a time period that is much darker, much more brutal, a time in which the good guys don't win, or at least not wholly. We're going to watch the entire civilization of Numenor collapse into the sea, we're going to have Sauron sacrificing humans to the worship of Morgoth, there will be a lot of war and horrible things happening. I hope that it doesn't go too dark and gritty, but I do recognize that this is a very different time than the Third Age.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien