The last movie you saw thread

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Re: The last movie you saw thread

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 am

Avengers: Endgame, starring Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson and Chris Hemsworth. A brilliant movie, which perfectly concludes ten years of expansive storytelling by bringing everything back down to where it began: with the original Avengers, and their character arcs. There were a few choices that bothered me, but for the most part everything was excellent. The third act is a spectacle like nothing I've seen before.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Fri May 24, 2019 9:48 pm

Tarzan the Ape Man ..... 1932 ..... Maureen O'Sullivan ..... Johnny Weissmuller ...... C. Aubrey Smith ..... Neil Hamilton
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat May 25, 2019 8:41 am

Aladdin (2019). A really enjoyable film with a lot of humor and heart - unfortunately, even as it adds new (and sometimes very good) material to the original story, it never expands upon that, leaving just glimpses of potential here and there. Regardless, the changes to the character of Jasmine made her the MVP of the movie, with Naomi Scott's brilliant acting and incredible singing voice having ample opportunities to shine. Mena Massoud as Aladdin is decent. Will Smith's Genie is absolutely superb. I didn't expect to like this film at all, so I was definitely pleasantly surprised by how fun it is.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Wed May 29, 2019 11:47 am

The Lovely Bones ..... 2009 ..... Mark Wahlberg ..... Saoirse Ronan ..... Rachel Weisz ..... Stanley Tucci ..... Directed by Peter Jackson

Much better than first thought it would be. Felt it was a bit "loose" in a few places but still good.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 am

Queen of the Desert, directed by Werner Herzog, starring Nicole Kidman, James Franco, and Robert Pattinson. Quite an interesting film, rather meandering and slow-paced, but beautifully filmed. Pattinson's role as T.E. Lawrence is a small one, but brilliant - it gives me hope that he'll be a great Batman.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:03 am

Always Be My Maybe, a new Netflix film starring Ali Wong and Randall Parks...a pretty cute and humorous film, very romantic. Not exactly my type of movie, but good enough. Keanu Reeves has a wonderful cameo as himself.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:48 pm

My Dog Skip ..... 2000 ..... Frankie Muniz ..... Kevin Bacon ..... Diane Lane
What can I say. I like dog movies .. :P
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 am

Ninui wrote:What can I say. I like dog movies .. :P

Have you seen the trailer for The Art of Racing In The Rain? An upcoming dog movie starring Kevin Costner - looks pretty adorable.

Meanwhile, I watched The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society (that is one mouthful of a title) last night, and extremely enjoyed it. It's a romance/historical fiction set in Post-War England as a young writer (played by the brilliant Lily James) tries to reconnect a family on the isle of Guernsey with their lost daughter.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Miss. Pettigrew Lives For a Day ..... 2oo8 ..... Frances McDorman ..... Amy Adams ...... Lee Pace ..... Ciaran Hinds
Pleasant movie. Surprised that I liked it. Not my usual genre.

Thor -n- I did go in and watched the trailer for The Art of Racing In the Rain. Looks good. Hope there isn't a heck of a lot of romance to it. Does look well done so will probably give it a go
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:11 am

Murder Mystery, a new Netflix release starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston, reuniting onscreen for the first time since 2011.

All in all, not a bad movie. Not necessarily a good movie either, though. I expected much more from Sandler, and thought that Aniston was carrying the film by herself for a large duration of the runtime. Luke Evans has a role in the film too, and he is, as always, perfectly suave and elegant. The supporting cast is pretty good, especially Terence Stamp in his only scene before his character's untimely death.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Toy Story 4, the final chapter in the Toy Story franchise: one of the best Pixar movies in a while, this film is a beautiful conclusion to more than twenty years of incredible, emotional, and very personally relevant storytelling. I have a few gripes, but nothing that detracts from my overall enjoyment of the movie - I really loved it.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody ...... 2018 ...... Remi Malek .... Gwilym Lee .... Ben Hardy .... Lucy Boynton
Was it worthy of it's best picture nomination? In my point of view, no. Was Malek's performance good enough for his win. Possibly. I'd have to go back and see who was up against him
to give a more decisive response. All in all it was a good one to watch.
:)
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:45 am

Binge-watched all four Indiana Jones movies last night, for no particular reason. Oddly, I feel like my favorite is probably Temple of Doom, followed by Raiders of the Lost Ark, Last Crusade, and then Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (the weakest of the bunch, even with all of Cate Blanchett's talent). Temple of Doom is just so much fun to watch, it's so frightening and thrilling, the action is incredible, and the only downsides really are some very outdated tropes: I'm actually quite fond of the character of Willie Scott, because I can relate to her horror at entering that tunnel filled with insects. Raiders is good, but it's a bit too slow-paced for me, and the action isn't quite as thrilling, though the mystery is involving. Crusade has its problems (that whole opening scene, for one), but it's the funniest of the four, and the Sean Connery/Harrison Ford duo is excellent: plus, the battle in the desert with the tanks is the best action scene in the entire franchise. As for Crystal Skull...the problems are huge. Indiana surviving a nuclear blast, too much CGI, Shia Lebouf, waste of John Hurt, waste of Ray Winstone, unoriginal aliens, and the biggest crime of all - promising, early on in the film, to show a psychically powered Cate Blanchett and then never delivering (not to mention sticking her in a ridiculous-looking wig).
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:46 am

Hostiles .....2017 ..... Christian Bale ..... Rosamond Pike ..... Wes Studi

Was disappointed that I missed this one when it was in the theaters. Now that I have seen it, I'll say I'm not unhappy with the movie but am disappointed in the movie. Acting was fair. A fair drama. Would have paid matinee price to see it.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:11 am

Shazam (2019) and Alita: Battle Angel (2019): both very good movies. The former is a light-hearted superhero comedy with some very heartwarming moments, while the latter is a post-apocalyptic dystopian thriller. I genuinely enjoyed both movies: lots of fun, lots of thrills.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm

The Silence .... 2019 ..... Stanley Tucci .... Keiman Shipka .... Miranda Otto.

A German horror movie. Not a bad or terrible movie. Reminded me of "A Quiet Place" only "loose"? Not as solidly made as "A Quiet Place". A good one to watch just the same.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:46 am

Derry Girls, a truly hilarious Irish comedy series on Netflix - five-star material.
Jupiter Ascending: a film that was being promoted on Netflix as a wacky space opera, so I tried it out on a whim. Oh boy. Oh, this was wacky alright: a young Russian woman named Jupiter Jones (who just happens to be completely un-Russian until the plot requires her to be) discovers that she's the queen of the earth because the bees recognize her genetic code, and the "bees don't lie" according to Sean Bean, who makes a really random appearance in this film, sandwiched in between two hours of Channing Tatum being a werewolf/alien/angel with hoverboots and Eddie Redmayne whispering. This was such a forgettable experience that I literally just spent two minutes wracking my brain to remember what it was even called.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:13 pm

Hidden Figures

I had heard a lot about it, and really wanted to see it. It just never came to any of the media’s and methods by which I watch my movies. It was on the plane on the way back from Florida so my bride and I shared some earbuds and watched all but the last 15 minutes because then we landed. It was really good! What a great expanding upon an era and adventure into space by the US that is very near and dear to my heart. We were consistently shaking our heads in dissapoitment at the way that black women (and that the black community as a whole) were treated back in that time period, and it was nice to see some folks portrayed in a positive way standing up for other people’s rights.

PLUS!

I really love math!
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Batman: Hush and Karl Urban as Sgt. Rock

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 pm

I picked up the animated movie Batman: Hush once the Blu-ray became available. I just finished re-watching it; the story holds up pretty well and differs in significant details from the comics story from which it's adapted. I would say it works better than Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Rises and might have benefited from a limited theatrical release.

Batman: Hush was accompanied by a new DC Showcase animated short: "Sgt. Rock" with Karl Urban (Éomer) voicing the titular hero. A slightly spoilery description follows:
Sgt. Rock is executive produced and directed by Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) from a script by award-winning comics writers Louise Simonson & Walter Simonson and Tim Sheridan (Reign of the Supermen). The original tale finds battle-weary Sgt. Rock thinking he has seen everything that World War II can dish out. But he is in for the surprise of his life when he is assigned to lead a company consisting of legendary monsters into battle against an unstoppable platoon of Nazi zombies. Karl Urban (Star Trek & Lord of the Rings film franchises) provides the voice of Sgt. Rock. Also voicing characters in Sgt. Rock are Keith Ferguson, William Salyers and Audrey Wasilewski.

Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Ninui » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:20 am

How It Ends ..... 2018 ..... Theo James ..... Forest Whitaker
A snoozer. Not good at all. Don't watch unless nothing else on that night. Waste of time.
:|
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:48 am

The Clouds of Sils Maria, starring Juliette Binoche, Kristen Stewart and Chloe Grace-Moretz. An interesting, thought-provoking film about an actress realizing that her own life has begun to mirror that of her on-stage persona. Stewart does a fantastic job with limited material: Moretz, less so, maybe she's purposefully trying to seem like a bad actress.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Rogue One : A Star Wars Story ..... 2016 ..... Felicity Jones .... Diego Luna .... Mads Mikkelsen
Thought it was good. Bought it for my library
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Good Will Hunting ..... 1997 ..... Matt Damon ..... Robin Williams ..... Ben Afflek ..... Minnie Driver
Hvae seen this one more than once. I don't know what draws me to it But I watch it whenever there isn't anything on
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:Jupiter Ascending: a film that was being promoted on Netflix as a wacky space opera, so I tried it out on a whim. Oh boy. Oh, this was wacky alright: a young Russian woman named Jupiter Jones (who just happens to be completely un-Russian until the plot requires her to be) discovers that she's the queen of the earth because the bees recognize her genetic code, and the "bees don't lie" according to Sean Bean, who makes a really random appearance in this film, sandwiched in between two hours of Channing Tatum being a werewolf/alien/angel with hoverboots and Eddie Redmayne whispering. This was such a forgettable experience that I literally just spent two minutes wracking my brain to remember what it was even called.

A guilty pleasure, I do like the actors, from Bean on down. Love the visuals

Recently viewed, John Wick 3 Parabellum The first installment for me was typical revenge action story, the second better and this one I couldn't help think of Wile E. Coyote. Still gets hurt, but more successful.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Witchwench » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Downton Abbey ...yeah baby!!

Image <Purple Witchy
Last edited by Witchwench on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby basil » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:49 pm

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/downton ... 1569155495

I saw Ad Astra, Brad Pitt's Daddie movie, today. Very introspective and the Elf Princess did not have a large role, maybe a minute or 2?, and didn't get into space. Subtle environment worries and who can help us out?
All in all, worth seeing. Visually great.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Witchwench » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:34 am

Nice link, thanks basil.

Not sure I would like ad Astra...I understand it is more like Solaris than anything else and I wasn't a big Solaris fan, it was alright, just not something I'd pay for in the theater. I did like Interstellar, but I think I'll wait for ad Astra to stream, then I'll watch.

Seriously, anymore I rarely go to the theater, I usually watch from home which is more comfortable, has a pause and rewind feature and still a large enough screen that I don't feel too cheated.

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby basil » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:08 pm

More like Bullock's "Gravity" which is enduring physical challenges to get home. AA is getting home through personal issues. I don't believe it deserves the high ratings critics have given it.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:08 pm

Aliens ..... 1986 ..... Sigourney Weaver .... Michael Biehn .... Bill Paxton
My favorite movie series and favorite of the series. Seen so many times I think I've memorized the script !
Trivia lovers: Bill Paxton has been killed off by a Terminator, Alien, and Predator !!
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Witchwench » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 am

Interesting basil, my own opinion was that Gravity didn't deserve it's accolades either...but that's just me. It was okay, just forgettable.

Ninui, Aliens definitely a classic. I'm one of the few that really like Prometheus almost as much . Those are my two favs of the Alien franchise, but I haven't seen the most recent: Covenant

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Other