Yes, by God, a new thread (with Autobiographies &Life)

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Yes, by God, a new thread (with Autobiographies &Life)

Postby Witchwench » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:31 am

I was researching the topic of Tom and Goldberry...my search led me here.

To be honest, I thought this place had gone to the dustbin of the internet. I searched a couple times, albeit sparingly, and came up empty...but alas here it still sits, in the cyber realm, still looking the same. Literally a couple decades have come and gone since first entering these rooms.

Before FB, the "web" was still relatively new. It was a joy to find fellow Tolkien travelers, and was such a trip, to interact with fellow Tolkien lovers across the world.

So many conversations, with people I didn't know, who adopted online "pseudo-names" to stay anonymous (remember, pre Facebook) and stay safe. Despite this, friendships were formed, names were revealed, lives shared..and shared in a way that was somehow more intimate and privileged than the daily spewing that can be found on Facebook.

Alas, life becomes..well, life, and Facebook is easier if not as gentle or kind, and whether it's Facebook or here, life has a way of moving in and online activities are curtailed to the easiest of venues.

I recently opened The Fellowship of the Ring..to look at Tolkien''s writing style. It has been a long, long time since opening his works. I opened them with older eyes, and yet, magically with fresher eyes...and I am once again, wandering out of the Shire, into lands unknown, with four, very good and very dear friends.

Which led me here. ...to another comforting place, with fond and nostalgic memories..which begs the question, who would ever think of anything on the internet as being an actual location that one can be nostalgic about?

So it is much quieter here, than in it's heyday..I feel by starting a new thread that I'm suddenly shouting in an abandoned library. I see Ladykat and rhwen have been posing (hello there)...I looked through some old threads, that have long since crumbled into internet obscurity...and I remember, and I smile.

Ironically enough, I had wandered away from TORC webpage mainly because it was so darn busy, couldn't get a word in edgewise, harder and harder to locate my friends..and eventually stopped checking in...now..the opposite

Been awhile, greetings. I do plan on popping in more often on my renewed journey to Mordor and see if there are check ins..to my old fellow travelers, I may not know your real names, but I do remember YOU...

To those who would like to check in on FB, I am known as: Lynai Blodgett Torabpour

Image <Purple Witchy
Last edited by Witchwench on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Witchwench
Mariner

Re: Yes, by God, a new thread

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:37 am

Wow. As you can see, once you step out your front door and head down the road, you never know where you can end up. :D

Glad to see you back, Witchwrench. I certainly remember you from back 'in the day'.

For Calma. :) :(
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Witchwench » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:40 am

What is eating at me right now Tooks is how you have managed to rack up those posts with thing so slow around here? lol..inquiring minds and all
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am

Well, to be honest, most of them were made years ago. :P

Lately I have been cranking it up a bit. :roll:

Sadly, some long time TORCers have past away over the last few years. rowanberry, Cock-robin, oldtoby, Calma, and others. :(
With them around, we still talk and laughed and griped.

Regarding your renewed interest in the books, perhaps we ought to start up a group read. It has been a few years for me too. I have them sitting in my bookshelf, waiting....

Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Witchwench » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Calma? oldtoby? Cock-robin..oh say it isn't so.. :(

Twenty years it's been since this board started going, I was afraid I'd hear this kind of news..I'm sad..anyone else travel off to the Grey Havens in my absence that you know of?

I would love to start a group read! I truly am beginning these books with fresh eyes..it's wonderful. I'll start a thread!! Let's do it
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:24 pm

Although they were probably more active on Hall of Fire of recent years, vison passed away a few years ago and Primula Baggins passed a few months ago. :(
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Witchwench » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi Rose!

Oh I am sorry to hear about vision and Primula..

I had some good conversations with vision in the past :(
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:46 pm

Hey Witchwench it is great to see you posting again!!

I will be looking you up on fb for sure too. Yeah rwhen and I are close friends and even met a few times to watch the movies or just to chat. She came to Guruthostern's and I's wedding many years ago now. I am not even sure I am spelling his name right now, it's been so long since I have called him that.

So wench darling girl what have you been up to these last few years? I don't believe we really post much together but I recognize your name very well.

A book read along would be great!! What a way to spend the fall and winter then to travel once more with our beloved hobbits and elves and rugged ranger!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Borin who passed away in March 2020 I believe
Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Witchwench » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi Vanaladiel!! It is good to see you are still here...big hugs <3

I started a book reading discussion, I am already to the Barrows, but the next few days I am working so my reading time will be shortened immensely..yes, wonderful way to spend the autumn...Great time to begin the adventure..again. It's been a very long time since I have read these books and it is such a delight to crack open the cover after all the years and delight in what Tolkien wrote down for us.

When I first came here, my youngest was just and infant..now he is 20! All my boys (except the youngest) have left to have their own adventures and families, wow what changes 20 years make. I was so sad to hear about the losses of some of our beloved torcers ...and those are the ones we know about..how many have dropped by the wayside and moved on to greener pastures that we don't know about :(...
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Well if you remember in the Lord of the Rings they started their adventures in late September so we are not far off base for setting out on adventures at all. I do know the Hobbit was a different time but I used to read the books yearly. Alas with real life things seem to have gotten in the way. It sounds like the perfect time to start them again. So I will join you on your journey and catch up and enjoy it again!!

Love seeing you too hon!! :love: <3 :rose:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:35 pm

You know I love ya!! I am all in for a book read, just say where and when.

I felt your words deeply actually. I was gone from TORC for close to five years.....and most of my posts were racked up back in the day when the movies were out and still a hot topic for all of us.

But there is a coziness now about the joint. Still I miss so many people and my heart still aches for CR, Rowan and of course our beloved Calma...those pains are not going away.

Grand to see you post on up and even start a new thread for us!! :hug:
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Witchwench » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:30 pm

rwhen...Big hugs to you lady. I hope you have been well. I agree, this place just has something about it...feels like a comfortable pair of slippers and a warm fire, a cup of coffee on the table..who runs the board now?

I have started a LOTR reading group..in the book section...!

I'm afraid to ask, is Rowan no longer with us either?
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby heliona » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 am

Rowan passed away suddenly in 2014. I can't believe it's been 5 and a half years she's been gone. She passed away in her sleep, with no warning. I miss her still. :cry2:
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:11 am

Truth be told, you can track my leaving to Rowan's passing. I just couldn't deal with it and had to get away from TORC....that lasted five years. I didn't plan it that way, but that is what happened. Big holes left in my heart for the suddenness of her passing......it just didn't and still doesn't make any sense to me. But death rarely does.

I will head over to books and check out the plan for the reading group. :D And to further comment on how TORC feels these days for me....there is no more urgency to be here. Instead a comfortable environment has been established that moves at a much slower pace. Hard for a mad poster like me, but I have adjusted and it works. Does that make sense?

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:46 am

Yea, back in the day.....

Some threads moved so fast you couldn't hardly keep up.
Some noobs were over-whelmed by the place and somewhat intimidated.

Now we have noobs visiting us folks in the rest home, where we munch on our applesauce and sneak some wine. ;)

Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am

Rowanberry's passing was a shock. I had always hoped to get to meet her, either in Finland or at one of the Oxford M00ts. It's an added shock when it's someone near one's own age (or worse yet, younger) and it happens suddenly/unexpectedly.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Witchwench » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:06 pm

rwhen, I get that..such a sad loss :(

Kind of a weird board thing, but I knew the peeps here better than quite a few on FB...perhaps it is the shared love of Tolkien that made the difference.

Sorry you didn't get to meet Rowanberry Rose..:(
Rowan gone too :(

Tooks..pass me that applesauce, I'm gonna hang out in the old folks home awhile.

So..a toast to those who have moved on and are no longer with us...your thoughts, humor, kindness live on...here, in the comforting halls of TORC and in the hearts of the ones you loved and loved you back.
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:32 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:Rowanberry's passing was a shock. I had always hoped to get to meet her, either in Finland or at one of the Oxford M00ts. It's an added shock when it's someone near one's own age (or worse yet, younger) and it happens suddenly/unexpectedly.

I agree with you here. Rowan was younger than myself, but we were very close over all the years RPing together and well just posting together. We knew of her daughters and her love of music and concerts and her belly dancing, her love of Tolkien and the MoME years....she had such a lust for life and then...POOF....so young, then gone.....and no explanation, just passed in her sleep. Of what? Oh I need to let it go, it has been over five years now and I don't want to be tempted to run off again.

Also this is a lovely thread for Witchie.....sorry, don't want to be such a downer here. You are a lovely lady and you have your own memories as well. The comfort that TORC brings is a solace to the soul, a balm for our weary brains and a place to connect with friends who are very much with us and ready to connect. Right? Right!!! :D So let's get on with it and enjoy the slower pace, slow down and get to know each other.

I did post over to the new thread....and already up to chapter 3 in FotR's. I'll be up to you in no time.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Witchwench » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:30 pm

Also this is a lovely thread for Witchie.....sorry, don't want to be such a downer here.

No downer at all..information I would want to know regardless of where it was posted and gives me a chance to reflect as well. :love:

I want to know about you guys still hanging out here and what has been going on IN YOUR lives...this way, I can be all caught up on the conversations.

Here is me.

I first stepped into this place 20 years ago, finally got the courage to join several months later...had lots of fun, long running conversations.

Alas, a divorce, a promotion at work, remarriage, bringing on three extra bonus children, life and so forth..plus the pace of TORC was ridiculously fast, I came less and less, until I didn't come at all..I popped in I think back in 2013...then gone..I thought for good.

I cannot easily put down everything that occurs in 20 years..nor would you want to read it, so the highlights/refresher.

All my boys grew up and left to live their own lives,..my youngest son, was unfortunately diagnosed with schizophrenia 3 weeks after he graduated, on top of his learning disablity, the poor kid struggles, but he is a wonderful young man and helps me so much with my horses and dogs.

My husband and I have been married now almost 16 years...we still love eachother..whew!
I breed/show and raise Standard Poodles and Goldendoodles
I still work full time, hoping to retire in 6 years.
I started rescuing unwanted, injured and slaughter bound horses
I am starting a federal non-profit in Equine Assisted Learning/Ministry, working with children and adults struggling with grief and trauma in their lives..
my website if you want to take a gander is unlimitedhopefarm .org
My elderly father has come to live with us, to avoid a nursing home, we have a full time home health aide that works with him while I'm working.

Please, I beg you...add your story
Last edited by Witchwench on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 am

No begging needed friend, I will share....though I believe most folks about here know me and my "since TORC 2001" past....but here goes and oh

Thanks for sharing all about you and getting us caught up on our life. I love that you rescue horsies.....how wonderful is that!!! <<----not a question. And that you raise standard poodles and goldendoodles.....standard poodles, considered to be the very smartest breed of dog. *nods* Congrats on your still in love marriage of 16 years and from what I am reading a very full life, so we are fortunate that you are also finding the time for TORC. I promise to check out your website. ((hugs))

Okay me....

How did I come to TORC in the first place? In June of 2001 I moved (after a horrid marriage of 16 years was over I needed my family around me) from Portland ME to the Portland OR area of Vancouver WA. I was on the internet looking for work, something new to me....I knew nothing about social media and my first trip to the internet I wanted to find about places to stay in the Grand Canyon, so I put in Grand Canyon and a window popped up with a naked woman named Grand Canyon...I couldn't close it fast enough. So needless to say I was jaded on the internet. But after a week or two rattling about my brothers home while they were working, I said I was bored and my brother suggested browsing the net for information about the m00bies coming out that December....okay. Right off I found TOR.c and registered, but didn't know about the message boards until August 8th to be exact, I was just reading articles and looking at the excellent drawings the members had made and submitted and one day I noticed this message board option and from that day, I was hooked for about 13 years or so....I left for five years as I have already explained trying to come to terms with the untimely death of Rowanberry. I have been back now about five or six months I guess and very happy that I have returned. :D

About me now???

Work - When I did start working in OR I had a great job as a purchasing manager, the company moved after 5 years to CA and I didn't want to relocate, so then I went to work for my brother's company for 8 years in communications.....then to a different company in the same field of communications until they downsized to just family and I was laid off. I was just about to turn 65 so I decided to retire. Little did I understand that working since I was 15 years old wouldn't garner enough money to live on so after getting my first check from Social Security I realized I needed a part time job at 65....not an easy feat. But I took one as a cashier at the Dollar Tree very close to me. That is were me and my poor aching feet spend 4 or 5 days a week part time....about 20 or so hours. It works. I still browse the admin positions on Indeed, who knows where my work life will take me.

Love - I really just am not in the mood for a man in my life, but who knows, it could happen. I think since I was about 17 I was either dating, living with or married to a man and I really like my independence now. Don't get me wrong....I love my lady friends, but I am a "man" sort of gal and maybe someday...

Health - Not so good. I take a small pharmacy twice daily for neurological conditions, heart conditions, stomach stuff and general pain stuff....but no pain pills, just Advil. It keeps me going and feeling normal except for when I have an episode with the neurological stuff. But I have adjusted and life is good.

Family - We don't see each other as much as I would like. My sister passed 1.5 years ago from cancer and that made our family unit much smaller. Just my brother Jim and myself left of the original unit. But my sister left a lovely daughter my niece who is a PhD and heads the Autism department at UCLA Hospital and she has two children. My brothers son Garret who is married with two kids and my niece Rachelle.....well she is a unique bundle seeming to be always searching for the next thing. LOL we are an American family. I have no mothers or fathers, grandparents or aunts or uncles still living.....cousins are all in the deep South, which is where I was born and my mother was from. Don't know them really at all.

Pets - None. But I love doggies and I hope someday to get a Corgi. The next place I live (as I do want to move out of this expensive cracker box) I hope to have the space for a doggie. I now have the time, so it is just a matter of doing it. My heart is torn.....my last doggie Gussie, which I speak of often here over the years was really very special and I haven't quite got over her passing....she was a mini doxie and I just can't have another doxie. But I love Corgi's, so that is that...

What else. I am a very spiritual person. I have studies all forms of religion and sort of come up with my own spiritual lifestyle that works for me. I do pray a lot and I do believe we all belong to the Universe....which has immutable laws and they seem to work for all of us...you know like gravity and such. ;) I am not vocal about it much but it is a part of my life everyday...reading and studying.

Oh and last....the thing that most all folks here know about me......I am a foodie. I consider myself the long lost child of Paul and Julia (yes, I am Julia in real life) Child. I learned to relish food and cooking at the butt of my mother in the kitchen when she cooked from about age 8 and never lost the passion for it. I cook mostly because I love to eat really good food. Well, at least really good to me. ;) I am consumed with kitchen gadgets....when I move I have like 17 boxes just for my kitchen. I KNOW...but it is a huge part of who I am and a way that I keep my mother alive, through all her recipes. She was a fabulous cook, when she cooked. Single mother of three and all that means. But I could put a full home cooked meal on the table by the time I was in my early teens......I guess it is something that is just innate and I love it to this day.

Now for really last. I cherish all the wonderful people of TORC that I have had the ridiculously fortunate chance to meet in real life or get to know so well just being together for almost 20 years. My heart swells to think of friends that I just couldn't live without now. I fear to name names that I would forget to put someone down and hurt feelings....(I started to list, but it is impossible from all the years) I have met many TORCers whom I hold very dear and maybe ..... who knows, it could happen.

I guess that is all....hope that wasn't too boring for you all...and now....

IT'S YOUR TURN

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Witchwench » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 am

Oh rwhen, sounds like a full life...sorry about your sister..my brother died about a year and half ago as well to cancer..sucks, especially when extended family is so far away..

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, north of Seattle..know that area well. Went to college in Olympia..just a bit north of Vancouver

I get you about the man issue. If something were to happen to my husband, not sure I'd be venturing out to find another..not that I don't like men, I love men, just not sure I'd be up for the effort, lol..:D
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:35 am

:hug: Witchie. I am sorry to read of your brother as well. Are you from a large family?

Ah, you did live in the PNW. What part of the planet do you call home today? It is not really my home so to speak, I just wanted to be near family. If I could live where my heart would take me it would be San Francisco or Santa Barbara, both places I have spent a great deal of time in and lived in. But both are SO expensive. Maybe someday I will make it back there. :D

Come on folks, share with us your life since finding TORC. It isn't that hard to do. ;)

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Witchwench » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:06 am

rwhen, hanging out in Minnesota nowadays...I like it and it's much more affordable than the west coast... It is only my older sister and me now (well..and my elderly father)..holding down the fort here on this side of the Havens.

For instance, we sold my dad's house out in the burbs of Seattle for 650k..same house in the Twin Cities would have been around 450K..and down south in the more rural MN small cities, around 350K..there is no way I could have my property and be in commuting distance to any city in Western Washington...land alone would put me close to a mil...but in rural MN..much much more affordable.

Santa Barbara..beautiful area..but yes, expensive.
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:12 am

Indeed, the whole of the west coast is stupidly expensive....unless you want to live in an area that no one has ever heard of....too far from the major ports of call or in the desert....and I am not a desert gal.

Glad you are happy in MN. AND have your family about you. :D

I also checked out your website and I would encourage all posters to check it out if for no other reason...it is lovely and very well done.

A few questions....can one sponsor a horse for any amount of money monthly??? Or is there set fees that I missed and is Paypal the only way to pay?

I am still getting past bills up to date, but I am almost there....this seems worthy to me. I love horses and children. I will admit something though. I could never be a vet (or even a nurse for that matter). I just can't stand to see animals in pain, it hurts me so deeply. I think that is called anthropomorphic. Whatever it is called, I want to help....but please understand that I would lose a ton of sleep to actually visit these poor neglected horsies. :cry: :cry: :cry:

It is too bad that you can't get that siggie going....this website should be pinned.

Could I drop you a line away from here about one concern? I am at jaycee_davis@msn.com :D

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Witchwench » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Aww that is very sweet, I had fun building that website...and it's been quite the adventure getting this started..going for another certificate this winter..gotta pay up my insurance and still have to complete the IRS paperwork..it is...interesting..government is crazy for paperwork...but it is a labor of love.

Those can be set up as a one time deal or monthly, no minimums ...,<3,,,one of my rescues, Finnick was in such bad shape..he was pathetic, I didn't know if he would live..now he is gorgeous.

this is his story https://www.unlimitedhopefarm.org/finnick

LOOK WHO I FOUND

Witchwench
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:59 am

YES YES....that is the photo that I remember!!!!

Aw what you are doing is amazing. Keep up the great work and I hope you get a ton of sponsors. The story of Finnick is amazing and indeed he is lovely.

:hug:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Wenchie is it great to hear about you and all that you are doing! :hug: :rose:

rwhen I already knew so much about you since we have hugged in real life and visited a few times now!!! :hug: :rose:

So I guess it is my turn now.

I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest north of Seattle in the beautiful country. Trees and the Puget Sound are right by me. 30 minutes most any direction and I am either in the forest or at the beach. About an hour and a little more and I could be in Canada.

I came to TORC when I heard of a movie being made by PJ in 1999 but I had heard all the horror stories of chat rooms and things so I just looked at the pictures gallery and avoided the messageboard, because I thought it was a chat room. Well in Feb. 2002 I took a peek because curiosity got the best of me. WOW! I could not believe all the people posting about things that had to do with the movies so I joined right then and there. I was married to a bad person and was so lonely and found some fabulous friends. They actually saved my life. I was torn between leaving and living on the streets or killing myself. I was pathetic and so lost. With the good friends I made, I made the choice to leave so in March on Easter 2002, I asked for the divorce. He got violent and I was scared but many friends stepped up and offered me a place to go if I needed it. In June I set up a mini moot in Seattle for Washington TORC members. I had met a gal online from over on Whidbey Island and Idril from over on the Eastern side of the mountain. We got together in Seattle and my friend from Whibey had a brother who had just joined TORC who came along. Well to make a long story short we noticed each other and as my divorce proceeded we became friends. He went to school then up in Bellingham and we began to go to movies and dinners together. His name online was Guruthostirn! After the divorce he wanted to date me officially. I had one requirement for that. He had to tell his parents that I am a fair bit older then he is and if they had a problem with it we would just remain friends. Well needless to say his dad and step mom we ecstatic about us. His sister approved too as did his real mom. So in 2003 we became an item. In 2004 my ex kicked me out of the room I was living in that was in the garage of the home I had lived in. Ryan's mom asked for me to move in with Ryan, his sister and her but she gave up her room for Ryan and I to have.

Move ahead to 2007 Christmas, Ryan proposed to me on our way down the island to spend Christmas with his family. He stopped at a place called Ebbys Landing and in the dark beneath the stars he dropped to one knee and asked me to marry him. His dad later told us that is where he proposed to Ryan's step mom. So we set out wedding for August but got a major shock before we could get there. My aorta ruptured on March 20th 2008 and I was rushed to University of Washington Medical center for emergency surgery. I was there for a week and luckily survived without having to have more extensive surgery then just the aortic repair. I was so weak for the longest time and forced to not work for about 3 months. Luckily I healed okay so the plans were back on but I only had 4 months to plan the wedding. I pulled it off with so many stepping up to give us gifts of their time and talents for a wedding gift. My boss and his wife made our wedding invitations the way I was going to do it. I had ordered the materials but then the aortic thing happened so I could not get the materials. Luckily I had ordered them from the bosses wife's business so when they came in they refused to let me pay for it.

Ryan found us a wedding venue outside at Deception Pass State Park with a open covered building where another friend cooked hamburgers and everyone brought food to add to the lunch after the wedding ceremony. It was a perfect day! Sunny but not hot or cold. Erinhue wrote and sent a poem to be read at the wedding as did PARM! I had rwhen read one and Idril read the other at the ceremony. Ryan's mom played the harp with his sister played the hammered dulcimer. IT was really perfect!

Now that has been 11 years ago and we are very happily married and living in Bow. I have had several health issues rear their ugly head. I have been on oxygen since Feb. 2016 when they could not figure out why I was always so short of breath but oxygen apparently allowed me to move and breathe much better. Since then I have been hit with diabetes and last November my aorta sprung another leak. Seems that the repair they did in 2008 got a leak. Needless to say I was taken back to U of W Medical and they put a plug in it. Seems to be holding just fine for now. They have had me apply for disability and it has finally gone through so I am not allowed to work any more. I do dishes and laundry at home and that wipes me out. But I am alive and happy with my home and hubby. He's a snuggle bug! He works hard and does a great job around here with what I can not.

We also do the SCA Society of Creative Anachronism where we live medieval and stay in a pavilion living and working like folks from back in 1250 Europe. It is so much fun!! We both do archery and thrown weapons.

We have our kitty China who is now 12 and we got her when she was 1 1/2 years old. We have my brothers cat till tomorrow. He has been here almost 2 years because my brother went in for surgery that went well but suddenly his entire system shut down and they apparently felt they did something wrong because he has been granted disability too and they never charged him for his surgery or hospital stay. The doctors gave up on him 2 months after his surgery because he was being kept alive on feeding tubes and a ventilator, they told us to pull the plus but I refused. It had only been 2 months since his surgery, I was not ready to give up! The next day he woke up and pulled the hoses out of his nose and said I am hungry! He has had a rough haul since he will probably always be on dialysis but everything else is working and he has even gotten a part time job. He just moved last weekend into his own place and now will be coming for Leroy tomorrow. We love Leroy but he and China have never become friends and I took him so my brother could get him back when he was able. Now that is coming to be. I am so happy for both of them.

I am the youngest girl in a family of 4 children. My mom is in the rehab center right now because she fell and broke her hip om the 8th of this month. They did not have to replace it but she can not put any weight on it for 8 weeks. My oldest sister Barb is a cancer survivor of 2 years. My sister Vicki is the one taking care of mom and my brother. Of course, Barb and I help as we can. We do not live where they live. My dad passed away in May of 2016. My brother celebrated his 60the birthday the January after his surgery and all of us kids and mom were there to celebrate it because we had almost lost him. And he is the baby.

So now I am working on making the beaded necklaces that viking women wear on their viking aprons. Not really a necklace but strings of beads for ornamentation of their outfits showing their wealth. My facebook pic shows me wearing a viking apron with the beaded necklaces I made for myself. Now I sell them to other SCA members. It keeps me busy some. Otherwise the cats and I are avid tv watchers because I have to keep my blood pressure and heart rate down so that my fragile aorta does not rupture again. It would be a 2 part surgery this time to undo all they have done to put it together again so they can fix it more after a surgery to change some arteries to give more blood flow to my brain for the second surgery of the repair. I would rather avoid that as long as possible. I love this side of the sod! I am a devote Christian but was out of church for 14 years after the divorce. Big story but boring. I had promised my dad that I would go back to church and so when he died I kept my promise and have been back to church now for 3 years!

Okay that was long and very very boring but that is me! I am on a ton of medicines to keep me going and lots of inhalers for the now diagnosed COPD with Asthma. And all this because I got Systemic Lupus Erythematosis when I was a kid of 14. They are all autoimmune diseases and if you have one then you will probably have more. I definitely do!

So who is next?
Last edited by Vanaladiel on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Wow, Witchy, that is a cool website. I love the horses. :D And the pups!!! :D

Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Batter up! My turn, with way too much!

I came to TORC when I was.... (checks sign up date) 16ish... signed up a year or so later. I was into the “Redwall’ books by Brian Jacques in a huge way and had started writing on a Redwall RP forum way back before they were the thing of beauty and easy to use like they are now-a-days.

It was called Redwall 3000, then Redwall 3K, then Fur Future, then... other stuff (we moved around a lot over the years). I go look for it now and then, but I think all there is is an archived homepage, maybe a members list (look for “Gurth”)

As that died, I dabbled in a matrix rp board (meh), but nothing scratched the itch like that first Redwall board and the amazing community of writers there until I found TORC in conjunction with my first read through of the books and the first movie coming out shortly after.

Rp’d like crazy those first few years, but as things started to slow and life got busy I became a ghost that would solidify only momentarily in between college and grad school terms. Then “real” life happened and time started getting away from me years at a time. Here right now, but life has not slowed down in the slightest, so I will probably still be somewhat transparent at times. But like others have mentioned, I like the pace. Though I do miss the RP hay days as that is what first drew me in. Epic tails of daring do, manic OOC discussions. Man, you guys know what I’m talking about. We’ve produced quite an anthology of extended LOTR lore.

Ahem! Grew up in the Alaskan interior. Moved down to the west coast. We affectionately refer to it as the the “south-east” because it is the south east of the massively long west coast that Alaska has. Confused? Yeah....

I was not particularly driven so my folks gave me the option of applying to the Naval Academy or attending a Christian school in Florida. I chose the Christian school because the military life did not appeal to me at all and I didn’t really have much of any other direction in life.

Sat out Hurricane Ivan in shelter (gave me a touch of PTSD or similar, I think. I don’t do well in strong winds to this day).

Met my bride at school, so I thank God daily that my parents chased me down there. Speaking of God, I am a Christian, and attend a non-denominational “Bible Church.” I would say “strong” Christian, but I know its less about religion and more about a love relationship with my Creator, so words like “strong” or kinda relative and not very descriptive. I do spend a considerable amount of time studying and teaching the Bible, and God is definitely the primary corner stone of my identity.

I married my beloved before grad school and began working for the college to help pay tuition. I had a Commercial drivers license so they had me drive some of the kindergarten routs for their academy. Since I had a major in English and a minor in math and biology, they assigned me a couple 7th grade science classes to teach as well since I was already at the facility driving busses. That is when I discovered I LOVED to teach! I taught english and grammar the next year! The next we moved back up to the South-east of Alaska and I have been teaching up here for the last eight years. My bride and I just celebrated 10 years of wedded bliss (most of the time).

I have a bro and a sis. My brother has seven kids and I have begun to write Minecraft books for them. I have one already written and self-published, another being illustrated by my bride, and a third in the process of being written. They are not at all serious business, just fun and simple. Though I do have an ISBN number! :P I also notice they are getting longer in true series tradition.

A year and a half ago I had some health issues come up. Don’t know what kind. They continued, but the docs could never quite pin down what could be causing it aside from maybe sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I took the hint and dropped 60 lbs and definitely feel much better these days, though I have never quite felt my old self. *sigh*

I’m definitely on the upswing of life getting more and more hectic. We do not have any children yet, and we don’t really know if we ever will. She has had some health issues from an early age and we are not sure if having our own children is even an option, though we have not had the... (fill in appropriate noun)... to go find out for sure.

We are also very selfish and enjoy our us-time and serving together in our church. Ironically most of what we do (both professionally and churchy) is centered around children. I love working with teens and middle schoolers and she loves the littler ones.

Ummmmmm..... that’s it. Sorry, not long enough life yet to make it epic. ^_^ but its going places!
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Witchwench » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Vana..what a wonderful, harrowing and full life, I am so glad you have love in it. I love the proposal and how it all came together in-spite of medical emergencies..and will pray for your health.
I love that you are staying crafty and using beads (your eyesight must be better than mine) with your kitties surrounding you. I'm so glad you found your way back to your faith after an absence. I found my way to the faith during difficult times as well.
You story was neither too long nor was it boring!!

I love the PNW, growing up we had property up on the Skagit River, and would spend the summer up there on the river..good memories. I lived and pretty much grew up in Edmonds, could see Whidbey Island from my parents house..know that whole area...miss it, miss the islands and traveling up to Orcas Island..but mostly I miss that area that I remember as a child. When I went back last year to visit my sister (lives in Carnation) it was so crowded and so much pavement, it made me ill. Just looking at all the beautiful forest areas I used to ride my horses in..now torn down and home to huge apartment complexes.
little side roads I used to ride along, now four or five lane mini highways, pavement, traffic noise...gone were the tall douglas firs, the beautiful ferns and moss, the little trout streams we used to cross. They were all...gone. Made me tear up to tell the truth. But it is still beautiful despite the crowding and excess, but it is no longer a home for me. If I moved back to WA ever, I'd probably settle on the eastern side of the mountains, in a more rural setting..i just don't do traffic any longer .

Vana, where is erinhue these days do you know?

QR..my brother lived in Wasilla, been up to visit him a few times, beautiful country.
Self published...look at you! Wonderful way to express your creative side. I often think that people who enjoy Tolkien and well, just enjoy reading often lean towards writing themselves. I never read the Redwall books, but they look interesting. I always have my own stories going on in my head, but lack the confidence to put them to paper. So I ponder and think about them, and I'm content with them rattling around in my head.
Naval Academy or Christian School? No brainer, you made the right choice (says the USAF vet :D :D )
Glad you found your vocation and that you love it as well is a double blessing. Children come when they will or when they wont, you'll know if it is time (if ever) to take the plunge. My first was adopted, after the Mayo clinic said it was a no go for fertility for me. My second was Mayo Clinic's "no go"..surprise! lol.

I'm glad you are prioritizing your health. Weight is my nemesis and I have recently lost 70 and have another 60 or so to go..oh well, baby steps. WTG QR

Image <Purple Witchy
Last edited by Witchwench on Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Witchwench
Mariner

Next

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby