More TV shows

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Re: More TV shows

Postby Melwa » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Just finished working my way through seasons 1-3 of All Creatures Great and Small. A rare instance where I love both the book and its adaptation. My family likes the audiobook read by the actor for James Herriot for long road trips.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Witchwench » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:08 pm

basil wrote:Finished bingeing my way through season 4 of The Expanse.

You would have to read the book background behind it to appreciate the weirdness.

b

I was thinking of starting this series..but wasn't sure I'd like it..I'm very hit or miss on SciFi and Fantasy movies/tv adaptations. Do you think a person can appreciate the series without having read the book(s)

Image<Merry Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby basil » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:28 am

Witchwench wrote:
basil wrote:Finished bingeing my way through season 4 of The Expanse.

You would have to read the book background behind it to appreciate the weirdness.

b

I was thinking of starting this series..but wasn't sure I'd like it..I'm very hit or miss on SciFi and Fantasy movies/tv adaptations. Do you think a person can appreciate the series without having read the book(s)

You can, the book version fills the characters out better than the TV series and some changes were made to the story to adapt for TV.
The underlying theme of both book and TV versions is the main character Holden, an anti-hero who finds himself in difficult situations as he tries to do what he considers the right thing. A tragic flaw.
And a noir detective.
I like the cast. The first couple or 3 episodes of the first season are adequate to inform you what the entire opus is like.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby basil » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:56 am

I started The Witcher. Game of Thrones-like in basic structure and Tolkienish too.

The first scene of Ep 1 is the Witcher Washing the Watcher creature.

Sort of.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:17 pm

The Witcher on Netflix. Pretty good - I like the gothic horror vibes, which is a little more unique than just being reminiscent of Game Of Thrones. Henry Cavill, Anya Chalotra and Freya Allen are all strong leads, and I like the chemistry between them when they interact (which isn't too often, all things considered). Definitely looking forward to the second season.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:23 pm

Have only watched the first two episodes of "The Witcher". Will get back to it. Been too busy. Not too sure about the show but will say Cavill is an excellent choice for
Geralt.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:02 am

Lost In Space on Netflix. A very wholesome and family-friendly show, but filled with genuine thrills, suspenseful moments, and scares. I'm quite enjoying it, and I think the cast is fabulous.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby basil » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Also on Netflix, I've restarted "The Last Kingdom", based on the "Saxon Tales" books by Bernard Cornwell. I caught Season 1 somewhere and then lost track of it until I came upon it on N. just a few days ago.
It's another Game of Thronish type of thing, with Vikings/Danes at the time of King Alfred of Wessex
The lead and the other cast, for as long as they stay alive, are good, & strong female roles. Even the Danes are likeable.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:55 pm

Started watching "Dracula" on Netflix Friday and oh my !! if they're all as good as the first two I'm in for the long haul. I've seen many renditions of Dracula in my day and this is,(so far), is turning
out to be fantastic. On right now. If you want to be on the edge of your seat with toes curled up under you go for it. Am keeping hopes that this show stays as it is !!!

Edited to add: .. Okay. Who's the one who failed to tell me this was a limited episode series ?????.. :x
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:27 pm

"Good Girls" on Netflix. Started watching just to watch on a boring nothing on night. Kinda drew me in and I just finished the second season. Hope there will be more and that they
don't change too much.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:22 pm

Catching up with the Witcher. I don't know about this one. It is getting better but still ...... :?
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:12 pm

Finished watching " AJ and the Queen" with Rupaul in the staring role. Not bad. Too loose and predictable ending. Still watchable if your a Rupaul fan or have least seen
Rupauls Drag Race. Seemed as if those acting in this show struggled with their parts. I'd say the ones playing "Cocoa Butter" and "Fabarge" were the best in their portrials of their characters.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Witchwench » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Ninui wrote:Started watching "Dracula" on Netflix Friday and oh my !! if they're all as good as the first two I'm in for the long haul. I've seen many renditions of Dracula in my day and this is,(so far), is turning
out to be fantastic. On right now. If you want to be on the edge of your seat with toes curled up under you go for it. Am keeping hopes that this show stays as it is !!!

Edited to add: .. Okay. Who's the one who failed to tell me this was a limited episode series ?????.. :x

I really liked the first one..it's different, scary but at time very funny..Dracula is so acerbic, he cracks me up. Yeah limited series..but maybe they'll do additional "limited" series

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:13 pm

Finished The Witcher. Was good. Don't think I'll become a true fan but will more than likely watch the next season. Started watching "The Punisher"
Jon Bernthal does a good/fair portrayal just not a really good rendition of the story. Will try and finish the first season but if I don't I won't be sad.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:56 pm

Damnation .... Netflix .. finished this one just the other evening. Was going just to see two or three episodes of the last remaining eight I needed to see. Ended up watching all eight :shock: :roll: This one, after a slow start, drew me in real good. Story is a bit soap opera-ish but still well done. If you're ever able to see this one give it at least three episodes before you change the channel. Originally on the USA channel this network is up in the air on a season two for this show. Netflix is a "wait and see" right now. Hope one of the does make a decision soon.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Witchwench » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:19 pm

Really enjoying HBO's The Outsider..heavy Mystery drama meets Fringe and I liked the first episode of Picard alot

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am

Netflix just started the 8th and final season of "Arrow" Almost watched all 10 episodes. Stopped after 5 'cause I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. Will probably finish tonight.
Didn't think I'd like this show. But I do :lol:
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:33 pm

Finished "Arrow" last night. Episodes were good. I'd recommend the series to anyone who asks me about them. Hope the "maybe" and "almost sealed the deal" "Green Lantern" gets going
soon. David Ramsey is the only choice to play the Green Lantern in m. o. Would fit the part like a glove. Let's go guys and dot those eyes and cross them t's !!!!
... :wink:
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Finished "The Punisher" last night. Will still keep with meh but also add the second season was a bit better than the first. "I am A Killer" second season was good but was it a shorter season or did I imagine it ? Just crusing through now to see what catches my eye :wink:
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:26 pm

[b]"Supernatural". Watched the first season of this one way back when and only a few from the 2nd season. they put the show in the 10 o"clock slot and this person had to get up way early
for work at the time so missed too much to start watching. Love this type of show but have gotten "choosy" in those I watch. Glad to see that,so far, it seems to have not lost it's
appeal.

:wink: 8)
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:31 am

"Grace And Frankie" on Netflix, starring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. I know this show is very popular, but I had never seen it before the other day. It's quite good - a little over-the-top and inappropriate at times, but Fonda and Tomlin are irresistibly funny, and this is one of only a few shows I can think of where I adore almost every character in the large ensemble cast.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:52 pm

Have been tempted to give that show a look see, Thor 'n'. I'll give it look in a few days'
Finished season 4 of "Supernatural" Will start season 5 tomorrow
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm

On season 11 of Supernatural. Haven't started anything else. Yet
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Have mad it to season 13 of Supernatural. Will be bummed when I do finish. Will look forward to season 15 when Netflix puts it up
Ninui
Mariner

Previous

Return to Movies and Media: Other