Latest News and Rumors about the Amazon Prime LotR series

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Latest News and Rumors about the Amazon Prime LotR series

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 am

Coming from TheOneRing.net's Justin on the TORn Tuesday livestream of September 15. Note that none of this has been officially confirmed:

1. (0:06:25) Weta Workshop (not necessarily Weta Digital) is reportedly on board with the Amazon Prime series.

2. (0:08:10) The first season will allegedly consist of eight (8) episodes (length unknown). So reports of 20 episodes might be for the first two seasons or plans might have been altered.

3. (0:09:40) There are supposedly discussions taking place between Amazon Prime and Howard Shore. It's being said that he does not want to be the main composer for the entire series but does want to be involved in the "design and development" of the music.

4. (0:10:40) The first two episodes (directed by J.A. Bayona) will be long enough to be combined into a possibly 3-hour feature-film length.

5. (0:11:10) Production for The Lord of the Rings has essentially taken over all film production taking place in Auckland, NZ.

6. (0:30:30) Two researchers who worked on the Hobbit movies have been named the Concept Illustrator and Concept Artist for the Amazon Prime series. Evan Shipard (Art Department, Unbroken) as Concept Illustrator and Liam Beck (Art Department, Aquaman) as Concept Artist. IMDb seems to confirm this item.

7. (0:43:45) The Stunt Coordinator, Assistant Stunt Coordinator, and four of the conceptual and storyboard artists are all experienced in underwater and water-based stunts and production. Justin speculates about filming the destruction of Númenor, but it seems far to early in production for that. A flashback to the drowning of Belariand makes a bit more sense.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Re: Latest News and Rumors about the Amazon Prime LotR serie

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:13 am

I don't put much faith in many of the The One Ring.net's various rumors (their social media account's tendency towards dramatic hyperbole, in particular, has damaged their reputation as a reliable source of information), but these do feel a bit more legitimate. I especially like the idea of Howard Shore returning to help with the score, as that's something I've been giving a lot of thought to recently. And two episodes long enough to form a 3-hour long film? I am certainly intrigued by that notion!
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:58 pm

This began with a rumor sparked by a casting call for a production in Auckland, NZ that specified being comfortable with nudity. Speculation was that the call was for Amazon Prime's Lord of the Rings series. This seems to be confirmed by the news that Jennifer Ward-Lealand been hired as Intimacy Coordinator for the show. TheOneRing.net's Cliff Broadway has the details.

This was also the main topic of discussion in tonight's TORn Tuesdays livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7wDupNwbl0.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Denethor » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:50 am

I prefer a wait and see approach on the sex and nudity question, and unlike others, don't actually see it as an inherent negative:

https://phuulishfellow.wordpress.com/2020/10/07/naked-tolkien-the-amazon-lotr-tv-series-and-sex/
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby GoodSam » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm

It looks like I will need to reread the Akallabêth. I really don't care if there is nudity or not, as long as it doesn't go all last half of Stranger In A Strange Land on me.
GoodSam
Mariner

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien