ALEP II: There and Back Again

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

ALEP II: There and Back Again

Postby MithLuin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:39 am

As some of you may recall, there was an event called 'A Long Expected Party' held in Kentucky a couple of years ago (old thread) Well, they're at it again!

There and Back Again will be held at the Shaker Village near Lexington, Kentucky.
Dates: September 28th - October 2, 2011 (that's Wed. evening through Sunday)
Food and lodging are provided by the staff of Shaker Village, so you must register for the event as well as book rooms.
Cost: $350/person (discount for children under 12) includes food and all events (though not accommodations). Day passes are also available for anyone who is local(-ish).

So, what *is* this?

It's an opportunity for Tolkien fans to get together and celebrate their love of these stories and enjoy one another's company. The setting of Shaker Village is rural, so much more amenable to such an undertaking than a hotel in an urban environment. [Shuttle from the local airport is provided.] There's a boat ride on the river, talks by guests, music and entertainment in the evenings, etc. There's lots of chances to wear costumes if you want to, but *everyone* will wear costumes at the Saturday night party. There are probably over 1000 pictures up in the old thread, if you're curious. The people who are organizing this (Bilbo and Gandalf) have a great attention to detail as their website might suggest, and having already organized this event once, they know what they are doing.

It is a blast, but it turns out Shaker Village can only accommodate so many people. So, if you are interested and know you can make, you might want to consider putting down a deposit to reserve your spot.

I have no idea what my plans are for 2011, but if I can possibly attend this, I will!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:05 pm

I remember seeing your photos, they were absolutely amazing. Mith, do you have any idea how far in advance a person needs to book this? A year & 1/2 away is too far for me to schedule at this point! :D I'll bookmark the page but keep us informed!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby MithLuin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:43 pm

I believe the intention is to sell registrations until September 15, 2011 (no registration at the door). But the venue isn't going to house/support 300 guests, so once they sell out...there's not really any opportunity to go. I'm not sure when that will happen, but I imagine most of the people who went last time will wish to return, and so they will likely sell out well before Sept. 2011. Certainly, most people don't know what they're doing a year and a half from now, so I'd say bookmarking the page and waiting is okay for now. But I wanted to put the notice here sooner rather than later!

Update: 100 registrations have already been sold. Most of these are likely people who attended the last one. So, if you know you can make it...act sooner rather than delay; this event is likely to sell out well in advance.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:07 am

Just thought I'd stop by and post some more details.

Some Events that will be taking place during There and Back Again. Some are repeats from last time, and some are new.

Also, an update on the Rooms Available - anything marked in red is taken, so as you can see, quite a bit of the Village is already booked. The accommodations are simple (this is a Shaker village!) but quite comfortable and nice. You can go to Inn at Shaker Villate for more information, but you have to book through the TABA website, since the entire place is reserved for them.

I hope some of you are able to attend! It's a wonderful event :).
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 pm

Mith.. I recall looking at your photos.. and it was amazing, but it's been awhile. Would you say that people of all ages attended? I would love to go to something like this.. but it's a bit far away for our planning yet.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby MithLuin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Yes, it is an all-ages event. There was a little girl there last time (maybe 4?) who had a dress matching her mother's. Too cute. I know of two women who plan to bring their young sons (maybe 7?) this time around. There were a handful of college-aged people in attendance, two teens who were still in high school. Most people were closer to 'middle-aged' though, to be honest (20s, 30s, 40s). A few people who were getting up there in years, but I think the majority of attendees were under 60, easily. Here are some sample pictures to give you an idea of the demographics:

Some elven ladies:

And hobbits:

Bilbo and Frodo at Bag End:

The Took family (tween Pippin with his older sisters!):

Group shot:

Raise a glass!
(the original is too big, sorry)Image

And the cute little girl:

Tons more pictures are available on the internet :)
Last edited by MithLuin on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:46 pm

OHMYGOODNESS!! The costumes are amazing! I have a 'hobbit lass' costume.. but.. hmm... maybe I'd have to make a new one... ;) It does seem like SO much fun. The 'authentic' type thing that would be right up my alley. I like that it is a family type event.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby MithLuin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:16 pm

So, it's definite - I'll be there :)

I think there are a few spots left, so if anyone would like to come....please register ASAP!!

Registration Page

There will be fellowship and music and dancing and skits and costumes and walks in the woods and games and boat rides and yummy food and time to relax and...well...whatever you want! :)
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Hero's Song » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Hey, Mith!

I'll be there with two other TORCers and I know there will be two more there that are part of our Middle Aged and Crazy group.

It was WONDERFUL in 2008 and I'm really looking forward to it!
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

ALEP II

Postby leroyneiman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:24 am

I looks like THE event of the year. Can't wait!
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MithLuin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 pm

It'll be great to see you again, Hero's Song! Looking forward to meeting up with your MAC group :)

WELL, that's it, it's the last day for registration...and I think the spaces are full.

Now, to do a lot of costuming work in the next two weeks!
MithLuin
Mariner

The BEST

Postby leroyneiman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Hands down, the best Moot EVER!!! :)
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hero's Song » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:56 pm

I agree! There's nothing like it. What were the names used by our TORC attendees there? I probably saw you and maybe spoke with you, but didn't recognize you!! This was my second time and I know I will go again. I sang in the Hobbit choir and answered to McIntyre in the Old Dun Cow song. :)

Hero's Song
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby leroyneiman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 am

Easy to spot me out. White guy with a black wife.
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MithLuin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Yes, it was great to meet you this weekend! I was in the line dance (aka Secret Hobbit Dance) with you guys :).

So...ALEP2 was awesome. Amazing. Wonderful. There are no words...

First, the showing off of my costumes. I had a ton of fun doing that, of course!

Curufin, Son of Feanor...not killing someone...but definitely thinking about it!

An ent? said Merry. What's that? In this case, it is an attempt at disguising myself as a sycamore tree. I'll have to make some improvements if I do this again! But I've wanted to make an ent costume ever since I saw the musical botch them horribly as ZZ Top on stilts.

A woodelf ranger. The third iteration of this costume, with very minor changes (ie, you've seen this before!)

Woman of Rohan. Yes, that's a hakama. Hey, it's basically a skirt that you can ride horses in, so it fits, right? Very little of this outfit is made by me.

And Shaker Village rooms conveniently have pegs to make switching between all these costumes (relatively) easy.

So, what else did I do all weekend other than wear silly costumes?

Well, we went on a hike. That involved fording streams.

Image Image

I got to play with swords....

Image Image

...and bows and arrows.

Image Image Image

And dance.

Image Image Image

And drink.

Image Image Image

And sing silly songs.

Image Image

And pose for silly shots.

Image Image Image

...with about 100 great friends!

Thanks so much to JP and Tim (the organizers) and their many helpers that made this so memorable and worthwhile.

If you live in Phoenix, AZ, you may see them on the morning news tomorrow!
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/morning_show/fans-meet-favorite-lord-of-the-rings-characters-10052011

I can't wait for AL3P: The Road Goes Ever On!!!
Last edited by MithLuin on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby leroyneiman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:37 am

Great photos! I just sent you a Facebook friend request. My wife and I plan on going to the next event.
Loved the one with all of your costumes on the pegs. We were wondering what they were for. Now we know that the Shakers were planning on us being there all along!
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MithLuin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:58 am

Shakers have no closets. Shakers need no closets. And yes, those are my roommate's costumes hanging there. Mine were across the room ;).

I keep dreaming about being back there!

There's a photobucket and facebook page full of photos; these were pilfered from there. I don't even have a camera! But if anyone is interested in an actual write-up of what I did, check out my livejournal post.

And for a list of what made it awesome, check out mellymell's. :)

And elf choir:
From the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AOUjynM1lA
From the musical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AOUjynM1lA

I have a lot more facebook friends now than I did a week ago!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby leroyneiman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:13 am

My room had a closet.
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MithLuin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Really? They were unusual in 1800s architecture, so I wonder if that was original or added later. Here's the website for Shaker Village for anyone who's interested in site where this was held.

Here's Marc Gunn's write-up: A Long Expected Party 2: There and Back Again -Another Glimpse at Perfection

And another blog entry by Lady Celebrian, a local: A Piece of Middle Earth: To the Shire!

Mellymell's post on livejournal is also a good account of why it was so much fun. It reads like a list of inside jokes, but should still be amusing even if you weren't there.

The videos are starting to pop up on YouTube now.

I posted the elf choir singing two songs above from Thursday night. That same evening, we had some amusing skits: The Council of Elrond and The Mines of Moria (only part).

Here is the artist Jef Murray reciting 'Earendil the Mariner' to Gregorian chant, with 'A Elbereth Gilthoniel' at the end. The first two minutes of the video are just the introduction, where he explains a bit about who Earendil is, before he begins chanting at 2:13. The poem is very long of course, and runs to 9:25. 'A Elbereth Gilthoniel' begins at 10:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_-boPZQHbk

Enjoy! I might add more later.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 pm

As promised...it's later, and here are some more links. :) These are all YouTube videos.

Still focused on Elf night, videos by WhiteLadyEowyn:

Elf Choir 'A Elbereth Gilthoniel' from the movie and 'Saruman' from the musical

The Council of Elrond skit

Earendil was a Mariner, Jef Murray chanting Bilbo's poem from the Hall of Fire (begins at 3:23)

Galadriel recites the movie prologue to FotR

Constance Wagner recites some of her own poetry

And Rohan night, appropriately brought to you by White Lady Eowyn:

Helm's Deep skit

Gollum's Song (with the aftermath of Helm's Deep)

Grima and Eowyn movie scene from TTT

Rohan theme music from the movie, played on flute and violin

Gandalf the White monologue about the balrog

And Saturday, the Party day, was focused on hobbits (of course!) These videos were taken by leroyneiman :)

Practicing Archery Cooincidentally, it was a hobbit (Frodo!) who won the Advanced archery competition :)

Storytelling at Bag End It was a bit cold to be doing this out of doors!

Dancing

...and some more singing! with the Hobbit Chorus

There and Back Again

The Greatest Adventure

Into the West and of course we all joined in on this one to finish off the night. :)

Perhaps next time there'll be an Uru-choir for those of us who can't sing! ;)
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Speaking of 'next time'....

Bilbo wrote: let me put this out there.. tell anyone everyone if they are not on my email list to send me an email to bilbo_alep@yahoo.com and request to be put on the list for this and any future events. Information to/from there will be the official info.

The 'this' mentioned in this message is a get-together on the weekend of the release of The Hobbit movie (in Dec. 2012). It won't be a full-blown event like ALEP or ALEP2 (no programming or events), simply a group of people getting together to watch the movie and then hang out and talk about it that weekend. So, if anyone is interested in watching the movie and spending some time in fellowship with other fans in Lexington, KY...shoot him an e-mail! All are welcome.

Or, one could rely on me to update you as to when the next event will be, but....that might not be the wisest course of action. I'm moving to Ethiopia in 2 weeks, so...probably will neglect to do that.
MithLuin
Mariner

Re: ALEP II: There and Back Again

Postby MithLuin » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:30 pm

AL3P: The Road Goes Ever On

http://www.alep-ky.us/

This will be happening on Sept. 24-28, 2014, so you have one year to consider if you'd like to attend. However, it's more or less booked at this point, so I think you might have to room off site, buy day passes, and find your own food. It is possible to contact the organizers and get yourself on a waiting list, as well (in case anyone who is currently signed up has to bail out some time over the next year).
MithLuin
Mariner

Return to Events