Hobbit meal schedule: Anyone tried it??

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Hobbit meal schedule: Anyone tried it??

Postby Acituan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 pm

I was skimming over my copy of FOTR and remember that Hobbits have at least six, seven if possible, meals:
Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Elevensies, Luncheon, Afternoon Tea, Dinner, and Supper.

I know I have tried to have the full hobbit experience, culinary-wise so I was wondering, has anyone ever tried it? IF so, what was your experience?
Acituan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rwhen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Hello again Acituan. There is no way that I could eat that much in one day, even in little servings. I eat once a day, so far from a Hobbit that it isn't funny, I think I am more akin to an elf than a Hobbit.

But we do have some Hobbits here that will be able to reply better to you.

Glad to see you getting out and about here on TORC.

Have a great weekend!!

rwhen

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:12 pm

Full Hobbit experience!! Now we're talkin!!! :D Now.. if my waistline would permit.. I certainly would enjoy this 'experiment'!!

Let's see.. if we made the meals smallish.. this could be done.. and could be good for a person, especially if they have blood sugar issues, which benefits from more frequent small meals. They also say it's a good way to lose weight because you never get really hungry.

SO.. just what would this look like?

Hmm..
Breakfast: a small serving of oatmeal with fruit .. or a small biscuit or scone with jam.. or perhaps an egg... and of course some tea.

Second breakfast: maybe a small bit of cheese and fruit or crackers or a bit of whole grain bread and jam.. and tea.

Elevensies: Perhaps a few nuts and raisins.. or an apple. And tea.

Luncheon: hmm.. maybe a bit of nicely baked fish and some fresh greens. Or some mushroom soup. And a pint of ale or cider.

Afternoon tea: a small sweet morsel.. perhaps a cookie or two.. and tea. Of course. ;)

Dinner: A bit of chicken or pork with baked apples. Some fried taters too. Maybe some green beans. A pint of ale or some fine vineyard.. or a glass of milk.

Supper: Perhaps a small bit of meat &/or cheese on a nice 9 grain bread. Or maybe some potato-leek soup. With ale.

How does that sound Acituan? How about you make up a menu?
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Rodia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:47 pm

I used to eat like that- not by schedule, but I could easily have seven meals a day. Then I started counting calories and realised I was consuming, oh, about three times the recommended daily amount.

Yeah, I don't do that anymore :P.
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Acituan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:49 pm

I will take up your challenge Rose! It might take me a bit but I will come up with one.
Acituan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:31 pm

This is how I'd do it;

Breakfast: The works... bacon, sausage, fried egg, beans, toast & a pot of tea

2nd Breakfast: Croissant & glass of orange juice

Elevensies: Proper Yorkshire parkin & another cup of tea

Lunch: Fish & Chips & fizzy drink

Afternoon Tea: Scone with fresh cream & yet more tea

Dinner: Slow cooked belly pork with mashed potatoes & a glass of wine

(Start on the beer...)

Supper: Donner Meat & Chips from the greasiest takeaway one can find, washed down with lots more beer.

Perfect!

(This may require surgery the next day)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:44 pm

.. OK.. I need to know what a proper Yorkshire parkin is.. and 'Donner' meat.. I'm afraid to ask.. the only 'Donner' I can think of is well, the 'Donner' party that was stranded in the Sierra Nevadas.. (and we certainly DON'T want to be eating what they ate.. :( )

Rodia.. to prevent the surgery Hobbituk refers to, I think one would just have to make the portions small..
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Hmmmmm . . . let's see. This could be interesting Acituan. ;)

Breakfast: This would be the big meal . . . maybe scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast and a dish of fruit. And a big ol' pail o' coffee. :P

2nd Breakfast: A fresh piece of fruit with some sort of sharp cheese. Tea.

Elevensies: A Granola Bar and low fat yogurt. Tea.

Luncheon: A fresh green salad with a toasted flax pita on the side, another piece of fresh fruit and a handful of nuts, like cashews or almonds. Milk.

Afternoon Tea: What else?? :P A freshly baked scone with butter and seedless raspberry jam. Tea.

Dinner: Skinless Chicken (either thighs or breasts) baked with a crumb coating, Jasmine & Wild Rice, steamed brocolli and carrots. Glass of red wine.

Supper: Small serving of hummus or salsa with baked tortilla pita or tortilla chips. Herbal tisane.

I'd probably explode, negating the need for surgery the next day . . . ;) :P:D

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Dubatuluk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:33 pm

The way I've been eating lately I think counts as eating like this...'cept I can't plan it. :roll: :P (luckily I found out it was because I stopped taking my vitamins and they have chromium in them which is a good appetite depressor)

But if I could eat that way and get away without 'sploding, gaining too much excess baggage or needing surgery...

Breakfast: Coffee, over medium eggs, bacon, sausage and a corn cake

2nd Breakfast: Coffee, fresh black berries and strawberries and yogurt

Elevensies: Coffee (see a trend here?) and scones

Luncheon: Chicken and avocado sandwich with bacon and goddess dressing, small salad, water

Afternoon Tea: MUFFINS! Blueberry, cherry and chocolate, raspberry, pumpkin you name it but MUFFINS! And tea (preferably Earl Grey-hot- or vanilla almond)

Dinner: Elk stew (w/poTAYtoes, carrots, onions, celery and garlic) Irish Soda bread with butter and honey, water

Supper: Chicken broth and leftover soda bread and an Irish Cream hot coco

Wow...took me a while to figure out the supper part. :P I can't eat THAT much in a day (not consciously anyway :whistle: :D )
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:46 pm

I wasn't sure if we were just sticking to 'traditional' hobbity foods... although, now that I think of it.. those are the types of foods I tend to eat.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:47 am

Rose, Parkin is a sort of Ginger-y cake which looks like THIS and I chose it for Elevensies because it's pretty much the traditional choice round here. I suppose because it's neither too heavy, nor too sweet.... so won't spoil lunch.

I won't show you a picture of Donner meat because it's, frankly, disgusting. Unless of course you've just drank a lot of beer, at which point it becomes the ONLY food in the world.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:02 am

Jamaica ginger cake - that's what I'd have. :D

I couldn't cope with a hobbit diet - in a very short time you'd have to roll me everywhere. :D
Image<-- Heliona and White Shadow making their lazy way to The Prancing Pony for MoME.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss lips slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady. - (From Facebook - it was too good not to quote.)

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:22 am

I wonder if that is WHY they call it Donner meat.. do you know the history of the Donner party? (and by 'party' we don't mean celebration.. but used more in the way 'group' is used). *shudder* The ginger cake looks really tasty however!

heliona.. I think if one chose to 'eat like a hobbit'.. to have many meals.. they would just have to be SMALL meals.. many of them small snacks really. And, I would think.. most of the stuff would be foods they could grow for themselves or trade. That is one reason I left out oranges, bananas, avocados, etc.. I don't know if they had those in the Shire.

*edited to add: I just looked up 'donner meat'.. it sounds like the stuff they make gyros out of.. multiple meats.. including lamb.. formed into a cone and roasted on a spit and slices are carved from it. I .. erm.. dare say they MAY have gotten the name 'Donner' meat from the previously mentioned Donner party after reading the entry from the Urban dictionary..
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby vison » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:09 pm

Yeah, I think "donner meat" is "donair".

It's good when it's good. :)
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Exactly.

Donair meat is like haggis. When it's good, it's absolutely excellent, but when it's bad, it's absolutely disgusting. ;)

I think us modern folks (except for those with Atomic Metabolisms) would have to make our "hobbit meals" very small, which is, I think, similar to what is recommended for diabetics (to keep their blood sugar more constant and not stress the pancreas).

However, knowing what prodigious eaters the Hobbits really were, I bet they could have packed away full meals at every one of those breaks, LOL. No wonder they're such round little folks . . . ;)

SilverScribe

Postby Morwenna » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:04 pm

I already eat about five times a day, because what I bring to work for lunches usually gets split up into all three breaks in the work day: midmorning, lunch, and midafternoon. Of course, that means the portions are necessarily small!

When I'm home, though, I eat maybe twice (due to rising late, like today), with maybe a snack if supper's running late.

But it I could eat six or seven meals a day...

Breakfast: fruit juice, omelet with cheese and sauteed onion, peppers, & mushrooms, and coffee

I think I'd skip second breakfast, or merge it with Elevenses: muffin, piece of fruit, and tea

Lunch: piece of fish (broiled or fried), salad, fruit drink

Tea: Creamy sandwiches, and tea

Dinner: SOOOO many possibilities! With water, at that point...

Supper: some light finger food, with herbal tea

But I think I'll refrain from the actual experiment. I'm round enough. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:22 pm

I guess the Donair is a slightly different Canadian version because the Canadians didn't like the Doner kebab.. which is, I think, what Hobbituk is referring to.

In either case.. yes.. the meals would have to be necessarily small. Those hobbitses were round.. but they weren't obscenely fat.. they must have had great metabolisms! (something I wish I had!)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 am

I can verify that Hobbi was referring to the Doner kebab that you linked to, Rose. It's very popular food after a night out, when you're feeling the effects of excessive drink. :D I think I've only ever had one, though. Not really my cup of tea. :D
Image<-- Heliona and White Shadow making their lazy way to The Prancing Pony for MoME.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss lips slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady. - (From Facebook - it was too good not to quote.)

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:34 am

It does require arteries of steel :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:44 am

Well, I see that it's akin to gyros, which I love: lamb gyros can be had fairly easily here in the Northeast. I've had it as far away as western Pennsylvania. And I think I've always seen it advertised as gyros, whatever the ethnicity of the establishment.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:01 am

There are restaurants here that serve Gyros (which do have lamb in them) and Donairs, which are primarily beef.

I love them both, however for me they are a rare treat since the few places that serve the very best ones (and I won't buy them anywhere else) are not close to my home or office. So, either one is a "reward" whenever I'm out and about running a rare, full day of errands. ;)

I think they'd make an excellent Hobbit Dinner, with a Greek salad on the side and a pot of hot tea. ;)

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fare thee well vison and dear rowanberry.
May you have only joy and peace in that far green country, under a swift sunrise . . . Namárië

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Morwenna » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Speaking of Greek salads and such, hubby makes a frittata with feta cheese, spinach, and mushrooms. In fact he made one for me to take to church today, and it was well received. Last SF convention, he made a couple (one with added ham) and cut them into wedges, and brought them to microwave for breakfasts. Along with the muesli. (Why should we pay for hotel food when our friend and fellow merchant is willing to bring her smaller microwave?:))
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby gimli_axe_wielder » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:50 am

I just want to point out that if you are drinking ale three times a day, every day, there is a different name for you than hobbit... :shock:
gimli_axe_wielder
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:52 am

Scottish?
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:23 pm

At our MAC Moots in Michigan we always have a Sunday Morning Hobbity breakfast with Salt taters, mushrooms, strawberries and creme, scrambled eggs, toast, fruit, some sort of meat dish besides tons of bacon, probably ham. There are usually about 10 of us there who have put in to this breakfast and it is so good.

But I could never eat so many even small meals in a day. How would I get anything done if I did? :P
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose: and Alex :rose:

In Loving memory of our beloved friend, Rowanberry! Rest in Peace my friend! :rose:

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Due to his surgery my father has to eat 5-6 times a day. He just can't handle eating big meals anymore. So he eats less overall, spread out over more meals. So they are quite small.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Hubby was supposed to do that. Right... :roll:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Martin the Warrior » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 pm

When I went through college the first time (I'm going through for a second time same place though) I started to eat like a hobbit. This continued until I had my wisdom teeth removed two years ago (and had seen what I had looked like! In general hobbit shaped) I had to stop eating all hard foods. Since then I've lost like 40-20 pounds (I don't know exactly how much I weighed at my heaviest.) Therefore I don't condone eating a huge meal if you go the hobbit way.
Martin the Warrior
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Well with my job it would never allow me the chance to do that. The manager would expect us to eat once on a 9 hour shift and I do not get breaks. I am a department manager so I have to work through and make sure everyone else gets breaks and lunches. My schedule changes daily so it would be extremely difficult.
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose: and Alex :rose:

In Loving memory of our beloved friend, Rowanberry! Rest in Peace my friend! :rose:

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Hobbituk wrote:Scottish?

:lmbo:

And was that a Gimli sighting? :shock:

Martin, I think it would be impossible to actually eat a Hobbit's diet. I think they DID eat large meals all the time. :D I can't imagine, one large meal a day is all I can handle.

Vanadarlin', that sounds lovely actually. Every now and again it is okay to indulge.

There are people that are hypoglycemic that have to eat every few hours or pass out. Small amount to be sure, but it is hard for me to get in one a day.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Next

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby