The 5th Course, The Foodies Thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: The 5th Course, The Foodies Thread

Postby JudyA » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:56 am

Barefoot Contessa? I thought that was a really sad film? Or is it someone's nickname?

The Little Fairy and Poppet (my older daughter) often tackle something in the holidays when there's a bit more time. They're more likely to make sweet things, but that's fine by me! Apart from the fact I've got a sweet tooth, they're still learning to read a recipe, put the thing together and make it work. It's what I did most of the time until I was in my late teens. :P

As for my cooking this weekend, yesterday I made hot cross buns - best effort ever, I reckon - and this evening I made a simple but hearty vegetable soup. Cooler over here at the moment, as we move into the second half of autumn. Tonight I prepared a plum jam tart, which I have popped in the fridge and will bring back to room temperature after we get home from church in the morning with Mr JudyA's mum and sister. But before I cook that I will roast a butterflied leg of lamb and a truckload of potatoes, and prepare a salad with cubed roast pumpkin (roasted today), blanched green beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, baby spinach and rocket. And maybe a sprinkle of walnuts or taste almonds. Mmmmmm....

Happy Easter everyone :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:58 am

My local supermarket had Catfish on sale. I LOVE catfsh. I froze one and intend to eat it tonight. The only problem is that the fillets in the market have a vein (??) taken out that I like. It gives the catfish an "earthy" taste.

There is a good Indian/Nepalese restaurant in town that I like, but the people with whom I usually go out to lunch will not only never go there but my suggestions to go are met with a long speech about how they would NEVER go. So, I went alone. That means I am pretty much limited to their lunch specials, which are nice, but do not inlude a couple of my favorites.

Earlier this week, I woke up thinking about VietNamese fried spring rolls. Fortunately, I was plnning to go down the hill shopping and added a side trip to a VietNamese restaurant.Yum. Another thing I try to add when I go off the hill is a Chinese buffet. These vary a lot, but this one has all my favorites.

I haven't been cooking much for myself, which is sad.

My next project is to find a Greek restaurant with more than Gyros. It is 125 miles to my real favorite, and that is too far.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:34 am

portia wrote:Earlier this week, I woke up thinking about VietNamese fried spring rolls. Fortunately, I was planning to go down the hill shopping and added a side trip to a VietNamese restaurant.

We wonders what you was dreaming about, precious, if you woke up thinking about fried spring rolls :lol:

I have eaten myself to a standstill today. Roast lamb lunch and plum tart a great success... have had a very light dinner but supplemented it with chocolate :whistle:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Alasséa » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:32 pm

It's Easter Day, one supplements everything with chocolate!

The Barefoot Contessa is otherwise known as Ina Garten, the overweight-in-a-jolly-comforting-motherly-way wife of a very rich man (though she made a fair bit of money too) with a beautiful house in the Hamptons. There, she cooks up all manner of delicious recipes, most of them beginning with 'we'll need two sticks of butter...' My idea of TV heaven. :-D

So my housemate decided it would be interesting to buy one of those dodgy frozen 'four bird roasts' from a budget supermarket. They consist of boneless chicken, duck, turkey and goose rolled together with stuffing and tied up like a single joint of meat. Sounds horrendous, but I have to say that after adding my magic touches and damn good roast potatoes/gravy, it turned out not only edible, but rather tasty! Who knew, eh? :roll:

All in all, a clucking/quacking/gobbling/honking success of an Easter lunch. :P
Alasséa
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:37 am

Spent Sunday making Easter Dinner with the family. Ended up being a family affair with everybody contributing to the mess. Turned out really well. Roast turkey, wild rice, stuffing with mushrooms, gravy, green beans with bacon and onions, and my baby sister made cupcakes with home made buttercream frosting and stuffed with berries. It's a good thing, but it's also 5 pounds of weight gain.

*sigh*

Tonight I was supposed to make up a batch of "healthy" General Tso's Chicken for supper, but I've decided to slip that chicken right back in the freezer and let it wait till later in the week. Instead, it'll prbably be some fresh fruit or yogurt or something like that. Paying pennance for overeating yesterday.

I also have some very nice portobella mushroom caps that I plan on grilling up and using as "burgers" later in the week depending on how the weather goes.

*sigh*

We, as a species, have to figure out a way to celebrate these big events without consumption of mass quantities.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:37 am

Made a very tasty Chinese supper last night. Home made General Tso's Chicken, though I made it much healthier by taking out the breading, deep frying, and lots of the goopiness of the sauce and made it all around lighter. So I suppose I should call it . . . Corporal Tso's Chicken?

Anyway, very tasty, bright and fresh and with the brocolli in it felt relatively healthy. All good things.

Tonight, if I get home before dark, I'm gonna make grilled mushroom sandwiches. Mmmmm, my favorite summer time supper.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Alasséa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:53 pm

What's General Tso's chicken? I haven't heard of that before, but it sounds tasty! Chicken with broccoli Chinese-style is always delicious.

I made spag bol tonight, but took out some of the (extra lean) mince and replaced it with finely diced carrot, celery and extra onion. Couldn't tell the difference, it was still delicious. :)
Alasséa
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 am

"General Tso's Chicken" is an American-Chinese dish served at restaurants. Pretty much deep fried chicken slathered in a supposedly spicey goopy sauce. Mostly, it's just immensly bad for you, not spicey, and not terribly tasty, but better than most of what's on the menu at yer average take out Chinese place. My recipe removes the deep frying, breading, and the goopy sauce is much thinner and lighter and so much healthier. It also has the benefit, in my eye, of being dramatically more spciey. Melts your fillings. =:)

Last night, made a couple mushroom sandwhiches. Unfortunately, we had 40mph winds, so I had to cook them inside. Not as nice as grilling them, but tasty nonetheless. Probably do the same tonight, though outside this time. Winds are calming, which is good.

This weekend, I'm going to a "Med-Fest" (a miniature Rennaisance Faire I'm told) with somebody and there will be some food available. We'll probably nosh there. Not looking for anything on the healthy side, I think.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:35 am

Medieval festival! What fun! But just make sure they're not using traditional recipes for the food or some of it might taste really weird... ;)

Starting to chill down here, at last. Had a small barbecue today but it was pouring outside so did it all indoors on the stove. Italian sausages, chicken meatballs, grilled vegetables and salad, with a hot (not made by me!) apple danish for dessert. Tonight Mr JudyA whipped up a warming pasta dinner... Yum.

I'll have to tell you all about my foodie adventure this week with Mr JudyA to Hobart (the capital of Tasmania, our southernmost state). But can't do it right now as it's dreaaaaaadfully late...

Night all :hihi:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:46 am

Well, they were not using traditional recipes for food. I had a choice between a hot dog on a stick (ewww), a small loaf of pumpernickle bread with some cheese cubes semi-melted on it, and a turkey leg . . . the size of a poodle. I chose the bread and cheese, which was by far the easiest to deal with and had a bit of fun poking fun at the folks serving that turkey was, by far, the least authentic option they had. I was threatened with being locked up in the stocks.

Don't think I'm going to be cooking until at least Wednesday. I'm going out tonight and then again tomorrow so I'll probably end up eating things that I probably shouldn't. Having a social life is a lot of dang trouble.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Thu May 08, 2014 7:38 am

Well, most days, I eat half my breakfast at about 5:00 am when I wake up hungry. This morning, some cottage cheese and blueberries.

Then, about two hours later after I get to the office, I get a little hungry so I usually run to the cafeteria to pick up the other half, which is probably something like a bit of oatmeal or toast with some peanut butter or the like. This morning, it looked like they had one of my favorite things, cinnamon raisin cream cheese. It looked great, so I made a bit of wheat toast and spread some on, got back to my desk, and realized to my horror . . . it was olive cheese. :x Yuck. Who in the world mixes cream cheese with olives? *shudder*

That ended up in the trash and I had to go back just now to pick up an english muffin with some peanut butter.

That'll teach me to trust the labels in the lunch line.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu May 08, 2014 7:52 pm

:evil: Olives in cream cheese??? Foodcrime!

They call him Flipper...

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri May 09, 2014 11:12 am

That just sounds disgusting! Of course though if the olives aren't on a pizza then they are terrible in my opinion. I just am not an olive person.

I love doing the Medieval thing and eating more authentic foods. When we go to SCA events we usually take stuff like cheeses and breads that we can tear apart and fruit. For dinners we cook over an open fire pit and then we grill all sorts of stuff. But we do things like chicken or grilling fresh veggies. I love fired cooked foods. They just taste more natural and you don't need a ton of spices or things on it.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Fri May 09, 2014 11:52 am

Reading back a little: I love cream cheese with olives!

But breading and goopey sauce are the good parts! :D

Korma is wonderful stuff. :) They make some really good korma (among other things) at a great Indian restaurant downtown. But it's rather pricey so we don't eat there too often. (And they don't give you enough to have leftovers, which annoys hubby.) I suppose we should try the other Indian restaurants, just because. There are a couple more in hailing distance.

This morning's breakfast was leftovers from yesterday; hubby and I had gone out to breakfast after his doctor's appointment, and I can never finish those 3-egg omelets! So today was broccoli-cheddar omelet with home fries, redux. He had leftovers too.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Mon May 12, 2014 12:40 am

Three-egg omelettes? :shock: and :shock: again... there's no way I could ever eat that much for breakfast. Why do places offer such massive serves?

Although having said that our local Indian DOES do big serves so we almost always have leftovers. Sometimes it's worth it :D

Yesterday was a big food day here. Mother's Day, and my mother-in-law was invited to lunch. I made a chicken, veg and thyme casserole with fresh bread and salad, and soft-centred chocolate puddings for dessert (yum). And I made some hommus for people to dip into with their cracker while the casserole was cooking :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Mon May 12, 2014 7:26 am

JudyA, your meal sounds wonderful. :)

Yesterday morning hubby made a spinach, ham, feta, & mushroom frittata; we each ate one quarter of it, and this morning we're finishing it. It's a 5-egg operation, and we get 4 servings out of it. (Of course there's all that filler... we could probably do with smaller servings!) 3-egg omelets are definitely too much for me, and nowadays for him as well; this is why we take half home.

Last night, and I blush to admit it, we ate the leftover pizza from the Sunday before when we had company. :shock:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon May 12, 2014 5:18 pm

Following self (blush): Tonight we simply made sandwiches. Mine was liverwurst, cheese & lettuce on rye.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Fri May 16, 2014 8:19 am

Liverwurst, the only spreadable lunch meat. :P Don't think I've ever actually tried it, though.

Anyway, was down in Delaware for the last couple of days taking care of my mother after her surgery. Mostly went out to eat at Finn's Ale House or whatever it's called down in Rehobeth, but on Wednesday I made up a batch of home made Chinese food that really made her happy. A batch of green beans with ground turkey and then a dish literally titled "Ants Climbing On A Tree," a dish of ground meat and noodles with lots of spicy chili sauce, which was absolutely loved. Between teh two of us, we ate all of it, enough for six people. Gonna have to make those recipies again.

Tonight, back on the dieting bandwagon and hving just a couple of simple tuna salad sandwiches.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri May 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Chinese food :heart: Last night we went with a friend to our favorite Chinese restaurant, which this friend introduced us to a year or so ago. And I have a favorite dish there, which I ordered again yesterday; it's called Singapore Mei Fung. What's not to like? - mei fung noodles, chicken, shrimp, egg, onion, sweet peppers, sprouts, other veggies that I can't recall, all curried!! :heart: :heart: :heart: I'd love the recipe for that! And I have leftovers for supper tonight!

Another thing they make there is sauteed green beans, and I love them to bits. We all do. We have leftovers of that too. It's not even 4 PM and already I'm hankering after supper! (Maybe I should have had more lunch?)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby prmiller » Sat May 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Morwenna wrote:Chinese food :heart: Last night we went with a friend to our favorite Chinese restaurant, which this friend introduced us to a year or so ago. And I have a favorite dish there, which I ordered again yesterday; it's called Singapore Mei Fung. What's not to like? - mei fung noodles, chicken, shrimp, egg, onion, sweet peppers, sprouts, other veggies that I can't recall, all curried!! :heart: :heart: :heart: I'd love the recipe for that! And I have leftovers for supper tonight!

Another thing they make there is sauteed green beans, and I love them to bits. We all do. We have leftovers of that too. It's not even 4 PM and already I'm hankering after supper! (Maybe I should have had more lunch?)

I should rally my Chinese students together and see what they come up with making a potluck Chinese
supper. Almost all of them have had restaurant experience, and are constantly talking about cooking.

My love for Chinese food is only exceeded by love for TORC...and you know now much I love
being here!

The merest suggestion of almond gai ding
causes by blond and blue-eyed heart to sing!
Noodles and noodles and noodles galore,
would keep me well-fed, though I would ask for more.
Wor won ton soup, with spring rolls and rice,
finished with cookies! Ah, that would be nice.
Plates of chop suey with duck, beef, or pork,
I'd eat with my chopsticks, eschewing my fork.
Ah! Chinese food! In Cantonese style...
that is a feast I've not had in a while!
I love the worldI am in...
prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:12 pm

We haven't been on, fellow foodies, for a long time. How was your Christmas/holiday meal? I prepared a marinated NY Strip Steak with Bearnaise sauce, the typical baked potato and asparagus almondine with hollandaise. Spumoni for dessert.

I'm planning a New Years dinner now, with salmon with roast tomato and herb. I've never tried black eyed peas, which is a traditional New Years dish. They look a little bland, so I'm trying them with chopped shallots and some hoisin sauce. With cornbread on the side. Asparagus and spumoni again. It's been years since I had that, and I just love it!

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby hamlet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:31 am

Mmmmmm, asparagus. *drool*

Can't wait for spring to come back so I can throw a pound of it on the grill again. Best supper ever with a nice fried/poached egg or two on top. Serves a couple of folks real well.

Last night I made up a batch of split pea soup for the fiance. Made it with parsnips in there and then applied the "boat motor" to make it nice and smooth with just chunks of ham. Gonna serve that to her tonight with some home made multi-grain garlic toasts. Not exactly healthy, but just the thing for a cold night.

Hopefully this weekend I'll actually break out the pizza stone that I got as a gift last year and make use of it. I've never actually made my own pizza, so it'll be a real experiment. Hopefully my ailing oven can actually get up to 500 degrees still.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:28 pm

I have been often enough to a "local" Chinese all you can eat to make comments. If you are in Redlands, CA it is in a shopping Center with J.C. Penny's.

When you walk in, there is a display of sushi. Mostly, it is shredded crab, or some such, but there is also tuna, octopus, and some other fish. Then there is a section with steamed buns, hot fried whole shrimp and some Western items. There is also a section with one or two Chinese dishes such as Orange Chicken and clams, Mussels, butterflied shrimp and scallops. There is also Salmon. They also have a section where you can pick out what you want the Korean cook to cook, together. There is a section with fruit. I am sure I have left out many things, but I recall what I usually eat. Weekday lunches, this costs $7.99. I usually have two plates, but I have seen others eat a lot more.

Everything is nice, tho' some of the sushi is boring.

Chinese places vary amazingly in what they serve and how good they are, but I suggest you look over a few of them and see what you think.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:29 am

Tonight I am going to attempt to make my own home made version of Chicken Parmesan. Home made sauce and everything. Never tried it before. *crosses fingers*
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Minardil » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:37 am

portia wrote:I have been often enough to a "local" Chinese all you can eat to make comments. If you are in Redlands, CA it is in a shopping Center with J.C. Penny's.

When you walk in, there is a display of sushi. Mostly, it is shredded crab, or some such, but there is also tuna, octopus, and some other fish. Then there is a section with steamed buns, hot fried whole shrimp and some Western items. There is also a section with one or two Chinese dishes such as Orange Chicken and clams, Mussels, butterflied shrimp and scallops. There is also Salmon. They also have a section where you can pick out what you want the Korean cook to cook, together. There is a section with fruit. I am sure I have left out many things, but I recall what I usually eat. Weekday lunches, this costs $7.99. I usually have two plates, but I have seen others eat a lot more.

Everything is nice, tho' some of the sushi is boring.

Chinese places vary amazingly in what they serve and how good they are, but I suggest you look over a few of them and see what you think.

That's pretty much the standard model for Chinese Buffets all over, these days. There are three virtually identical places within five blocks of my office here in Reading, PA right now, one of them even has Mongolian BBQ, where pick out your ingredients and the "chef" grills it up for you while you wait.
Minardil
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:24 am

There are Chinese buffets around us too, but unfortunately our favortie one went away a year or two ago. So now we go to the non-buffet ones.

Sunday hubby roasted a boneless turkey breast, and roasted some cut and seasoned and oiled potatoes as well, heated up some leftover stuffing out of the freezer, and made gravy. We had that for a few nights; last night we killed the potatoes but I think there's some turkey left.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Well, I finally found a good-looking recipe for lembas. I can't wait to try it.

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe- ... ipe=267358

They call him Flipper...

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Previous

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby