Contraception coverage and related insurance issues

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Postby Minardil » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 am

hamlet wrote:
Actually, I'd go so far as to say people don't actually know what healthy is at all anymore. I can't remember, honestly, the last time I saw a positive body image anywhere in the media, at least one that pointed to a realistic body image.

But weren't we suposed to be talking about contraception here?


Is there a more effective form of contraception than images of fat people? I know when I look in the mirror, I lose all interest in sexual activity, and clearly I have that same affect on all the women I know. . .
User avatar
Minardil
Mariner

 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:06 am
Top

Postby hamlet » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 am

Minardil wrote:
hamlet wrote:
Actually, I'd go so far as to say people don't actually know what healthy is at all anymore. I can't remember, honestly, the last time I saw a positive body image anywhere in the media, at least one that pointed to a realistic body image.

But weren't we suposed to be talking about contraception here?


Is there a more effective form of contraception than images of fat people? I know when I look in the mirror, I lose all interest in sexual activity, and clearly I have that same affect on all the women I know. . .


This coming from someone married with children?

You sir, may stick it where the sun don't shine. And I say that as a representative of all singles on the board.
User avatar
hamlet
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 10131
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2001 12:01 pm
Top

Postby vison » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 pm

hamlet. For pete's sake, lighten up.

Minardil can laugh at himself, if he wants.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
User avatar
vison
Ringbearer


 
Posts: 12696
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:15 pm
Top

Postby Democritus » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:16 am

Turns out that attacking reproductive rights are a real big vote winner for the GOP... real big........ http://www.salon.com/2012/04/02/when_gender_gaps_save_presidents/singleton/#comments

I hate to say I told you so... but I told you so... :)
User avatar
Democritus
Mariner

 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:08 pm
Top

Postby Dave_LF » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:27 am

This is exactly why I said that Obama should provide more rope when the whole birth control thing came up. :)
User avatar
Dave_LF
Mariner

 
Posts: 7186
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:39 pm
Top

Postby vison » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:30 am

Democritus wrote:Turns out that attacking reproductive rights are a real big vote winner for the GOP... real big........ http://www.salon.com/2012/04/02/when_gender_gaps_save_presidents/singleton/#comments

I hate to say I told you so... but I told you so... :)


Not sure what you told us? Can't remember. :?


The lunacies (for there are several) that have overtaken the GOP makes the whole thing look like the famous circular firing squad. They are out of touch with a significant portion of the population. I suspect that women who might otherwise vote Right will vote Left over the women's rights issue, and can't quite see why anyone would be surprised by that. (Not that anyone here will be.)
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
User avatar
vison
Ringbearer


 
Posts: 12696
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:15 pm
Top

Postby Minardil » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:20 pm

hamlet wrote:
Minardil wrote:
hamlet wrote:
Actually, I'd go so far as to say people don't actually know what healthy is at all anymore. I can't remember, honestly, the last time I saw a positive body image anywhere in the media, at least one that pointed to a realistic body image.

But weren't we suposed to be talking about contraception here?


Is there a more effective form of contraception than images of fat people? I know when I look in the mirror, I lose all interest in sexual activity, and clearly I have that same affect on all the women I know. . .


This coming from someone married with children?

You sir, may stick it where the sun don't shine. And I say that as a representative of all singles on the board.


Let me just say that as a Person of Heft, I have lots of places which haven't seen sunlight in a while.
User avatar
Minardil
Mariner

 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:06 am
Top

Postby Cerin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:22 pm

TMI
User avatar
Cerin
Mariner

 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Tue May 02, 2000 12:52 am
Top

Postby hamlet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Excuse me while I try to locate the mental Brillo pad and scour that image from my head . . .
User avatar
hamlet
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 10131
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2001 12:01 pm
Top

Postby Democritus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 am

vison wrote:
Democritus wrote:Turns out that attacking reproductive rights are a real big vote winner for the GOP... real big........ http://www.salon.com/2012/04/02/when_gender_gaps_save_presidents/singleton/#comments

I hate to say I told you so... but I told you so... :)


Not sure what you told us? Can't remember. :?


The lunacies (for there are several) that have overtaken the GOP makes the whole thing look like the famous circular firing squad. They are out of touch with a significant portion of the population. I suspect that women who might otherwise vote Right will vote Left over the women's rights issue, and can't quite see why anyone would be surprised by that. (Not that anyone here will be.)


Hee, hee, a while ago, when this issue of contraception reared its head, I wrote that this issue would ultimatey come to hurt the GOP, not the Democrats, with reasons why... and now it has come to pass. The "told you so" was mainly to the universe and the minority of folks around here who thought it was the President who was setting himself up for a fall on the issue.

But when you have ahats like Santorum and Limbaugh around, you can always count on them to blow up the issue well beyond where the party leaders wanted to draw the line.
User avatar
Democritus
Mariner

 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:08 pm
Top

Postby portia » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:52 am

Not to imply that the Party leaders had any sense about the result.
User avatar
portia
Ringbearer
 
Posts: 10501
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:57 pm
Location: Lost in the forest
Top

Postby Democritus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 am

portia wrote:Not to imply that the Party leaders had any sense about the result.


That is very true, but I think privately they would have been tearing their hair out at Limbaugh for the beautiful gift he handed out.....
User avatar
Democritus
Mariner

 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:08 pm
Top

Postby Minardil » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:08 am

But when you have ahats like Santorum and Limbaugh around, you can always count on them to blow up the issue well beyond where the party leaders wanted to draw the line.



Limbaugh IS the GOP leadership. Plain and simple.
User avatar
Minardil
Mariner

 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:06 am
Top

Postby Cenedril_Gildinaur » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 am

Minardil wrote:
But when you have ahats like Santorum and Limbaugh around, you can always count on them to blow up the issue well beyond where the party leaders wanted to draw the line.



Limbaugh IS the GOP leadership. Plain and simple.


He's influential in Republican circles, and a conservative leader, but the party leadership is composed of people with titles like "chairman" or "executive committee member".
User avatar
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 11197
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: The Real World
Top

Postby TheEllipticalDisillusion » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Minardil wrote:
But when you have ahats like Santorum and Limbaugh around, you can always count on them to blow up the issue well beyond where the party leaders wanted to draw the line.



Limbaugh IS the GOP leadership. Plain and simple.


He's influential in Republican circles, and a conservative leader, but the party leadership is composed of people with titles like "chairman" or "executive committee member".


Chairmen or executive committee members can't be heavily influenced by other individuals missing those titles?

I doubt Minardil meant his comment seriously (though, I could be wrong).
User avatar
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Mariner

 
Posts: 6454
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 7:42 pm
Top

Postby Minardil » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:02 pm

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Minardil wrote:
But when you have ahats like Santorum and Limbaugh around, you can always count on them to blow up the issue well beyond where the party leaders wanted to draw the line.



Limbaugh IS the GOP leadership. Plain and simple.


He's influential in Republican circles, and a conservative leader, but the party leadership is composed of people with titles like "chairman" or "executive committee member".


Chairmen or executive committee members can't be heavily influenced by other individuals missing those titles?

I doubt Minardil meant his comment seriously (though, I could be wrong).


While Mr. Limbaugh is not an official leader of the Party, in that he holds no designated rank within the party structure, it is undeniable that he wields tremendous influence over the party, and few if any Republicans dare to challenge or even contradict him openly. He sets the agenda and the TONE of the party, so in that regard he is most definitely their leader.
User avatar
Minardil
Mariner

 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:06 am
Top

Postby portia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:15 am

I think that is essentially true, Minardil, and it is strange to me in that I do not, ever, listen to him.
User avatar
portia
Ringbearer
 
Posts: 10501
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:57 pm
Location: Lost in the forest
Top

Postby Minardil » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 am

portia wrote:I think that is essentially true, Minardil, and it is strange to me in that I do not, ever, listen to him.


I think there are LOTS of rank and file Republicans who are disgusted by Limbaugh, or at least who don't listen to him or his show, but I think the party leadership toes whatever line he lays out.
User avatar
Minardil
Mariner

 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:06 am
Top

Postby JewelSong » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:07 am

Minardil wrote: I think the party leadership toes whatever line he lays out.


The question for me is WHY? Why does the GOP party leadership listen to him? Why are they so intimidated by him? Where does he get his "power?"

To me, he is a blowhard - nothing more. Attention-grabbing, nasty and mean-spirited.

What is the attraction to the GOP?
User avatar
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4616
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:31 am
Top

Postby Griffon64 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:32 am

The GOP party leadership perceive him to have power. And they are attracted to power like flies to cow dung.

Whether their perception of his power is in scale with the power he actually has is another story.
User avatar
Griffon64
Mariner

 
Posts: 7262
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:47 pm
Top

Postby vison » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Griffon64 wrote:The GOP party leadership perceive him to have power. And they are attracted to power like flies to cow dung.

Whether their perception of his power is in scale with the power he actually has is another story.


I think you're right, Griffon64.

I suspect that the PTB in the GOP are, themselves, so removed from the ordinary Republican, and have such contempt for the ordinary Republican, that they think ordinary Republicans ALL worship Limbaugh and therefore they ought to publicly kowtow to him, to please "the base".

It's that "elite" thing. "Elite people" think regular people are all really the Great Unwashed: to be courted and appeased in meaningless ways. The Elites toss bones, in the form of Sarah Palins and her ilk, to The Mob, while at the same time never for ONE second intending to give up any real power to anyone other than their little club.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
User avatar
vison
Ringbearer


 
Posts: 12696
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:15 pm
Top

Postby Cenedril_Gildinaur » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Sounds like the other party too.
User avatar
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 11197
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: The Real World
Top

Postby vison » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:Sounds like the other party too.


Well, in this case, not to the same extent. But you have a point. :)
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
User avatar
vison
Ringbearer


 
Posts: 12696
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:15 pm
Top

Postby Cenedril_Gildinaur » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:17 pm

vison wrote:
Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:Sounds like the other party too.


Well, in this case, not to the same extent.


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
User avatar
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 11197
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: The Real World
Top

Postby JewelSong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:11 am

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:


yeah, yeah, we get it, C_G. You hate everyone equally.
User avatar
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4616
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:31 am
Top

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:37 am

The basic point is that an unscrupulous press can and does assassinate a chosen victim's character. The worst are not slow to use that for political advantage.
User avatar
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:31 am
Top

Postby Minardil » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:31 pm

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:The basic point is that an unscrupulous press can and does assassinate a chosen victim's character. The worst are not slow to use that for political advantage.


Yes, why here's noted media victim Newt Gingrich, complaining about how Fox News gave him a raw deal:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57412780-503544/gingrich-charges-fox-news-with-pro-romney-bias/

Really??? FOX???? I find that impossible to believe.
User avatar
Minardil
Mariner

 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:06 am
Top

Postby oldtoby » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:32 pm

It makes perfect sense, once you realize Mr Staypuffd's definition of raw deal is "Them mean old media types didn't slavishly parrot every word that came outta my mouth"
User avatar
oldtoby
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 15091
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2002 10:40 pm
Top

Postby portia » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:24 am

A person needs a really big ego to run for President. Or to be President. But there are egos and egos, and Gingrich's ego has not seemed to be a healthy "big" one since the mid-90s. He is convinced that he is right, and not only right, but so blindingly, obviously right that anyone who disagrees, or thinks that he doesn't have the right stuff to be President, has got to be jealous or something worse.

And, he is not shy about saying so, which antagonizes even those people who would be willing to cut him some slack.

A loose cannon, and one that doesn't very often shoot accurately.
User avatar
portia
Ringbearer
 
Posts: 10501
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:57 pm
Location: Lost in the forest
Top

Postby Minardil » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:06 am

Hmm, I think Gingrich's problem isn't so much that he thinks that he and ONLY HE is "right" and that everyone is wrong, I think he thinks that he can say anything he wants and that no one else is smart enough to pick up on it.

So, when he says that politicians who work with Fannie Mae should go to jail, while he is personally pocketing millions of dollars working as a consultant for Fannie Mae, HE thinks he'll be able to get away with it.

When he was pummeling Bill Clinton for having an extra-marital affair WHILE he was cheating on his own wife, he thought he wouldn't get caught.

When he criticized Mr. Obama for "doing nothing" in Libya, then two weeks later criticized Mr. Obama for doing something in Libya, he thought no one would remember what he had said earlier.

The list of examples of his hypocrisy and his politically motivated and opportunisitic flip-flopping on issues goes on and on. This essentially defines his career and his character. Either he is completely delusional and doesn't realize that he behaves in this way, or he's completely delusional and thinks that everyone else is too stupide to realize that he behaves this way.
User avatar
Minardil
Mariner

 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:06 am
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests