28mm scale Minas Tirith

From games based in Middle-earth, to the latest MMORPG, first person shooter, or strategy game, come on in and talk about the games you play!

28mm scale Minas Tirith

Postby darclegion2 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:29 pm

http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/customer/ ... g_tomy.htm

Above is a link to a 28mm Minas Tirith that I made for myself to game with. It is designed for gaming, and not an exact replica from the book. I was not interested in creating a movie version. It is completely made of foam. It is 5 levels, not 7 levels. I had to make it so that I could store it, as well as play it. I had alot of fun making it, and I think it turned out ok. There are tons of versions out there, and way better than mine, thought I would share. I have been reading Tolkien since I was in the 5th grade back in 1979. It has all the elements of the book version, except that I painted the outer Orthanc wall white, instead of leaving it black. The gates are all on opposite ends. The last gate is inside the cliff that leads to a top 5th gate or tunnel on the Citadel top. I am still working on it, should be completed in 2 weeks. I have about 5000 Harlequin LOTR minis, and plan to set up a large battle for pics. I was thinking about submitting them to Wargames Illustrated as well.

Cheers,

Tom Young
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby FrodoTook » Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm

I think this is way cool. I love the detail and knowing the time it took to create. I so appreciate your being able to create something. An ability which I don't have and have so much envy of...but so very much enjoy seeing in others.

Thank you for sharing your love of Tolkien darclegion2 / Tom Young. 8)
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Location: South Carolina...Near the ocean. I wish I could be more Pacific.

Postby darclegion2 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:07 am

thank you very much! I am true Tolkien fan, for a very long time. I also have Helms Deep, that someone made for me. I wish someday to make Gondolin....but need alot of storage space for that fortress.

Thank you for the kind words, means alot.

tom
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Mon May 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Darclegion2, let me for starters give you a warm welcome to Torc. :)

And secondly tell you that your Minas Tirith creation of foam is amazing. I love the detail and as Frodo Took said it is great to see people who do have the talent to make something show it off. :)

Defenitely submit them to Warmgames Illustrated.

Well done, I hope you get your creation of Gondolin finished, i am particulary interested in that one. :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby darclegion2 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:59 pm

The,real,Maeglin wrote:Darclegion2, let me for starters give you a warm welcome to Torc. :)

And secondly tell you that your Minas Tirith creation of foam is amazing. I love the detail and as Frodo Took said it is great to see people who do have the talent to make something show it off. :)

Defenitely submit them to Warmgames Illustrated.

Well done, I hope you get your creation of Gondolin finished, i am particulary interested in that one. :wink:

Thank you very much! I am very happy with it, for one that I have one finally in my game room, since I have been waiting awhile. I tried to have someone make it, but then I just decided to make it myself. I was amazed that it turned out good, good enough for me.

I should have it completed within the week. Thanks for the kind words! It is great to see people appreciate it.

Tom
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Tue May 15, 2012 9:15 am

Not only do I appreciate it, I wish i was that good in creating stuff :wink:

So safe to say I am a bit jealous :lol:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby darclegion2 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:15 am

The,real,Maeglin wrote:Not only do I appreciate it, I wish i was that good in creating stuff :wink:

So safe to say I am a bit jealous :lol:

You know, I was inspired because I really wanted to have a Minas Tirith to game with, and I have had very bad luck with having someone make it for me, to the point of being over upset about it, I had a negitve experience with a castle maker in NJ, I pretty much had some money basically stolen from me.

So I took that negitive expericence and turned it into a positive. I was upset about losing some money, but more upset because I really just wanted a nice Minas Tirith for gaming, pretty much since I was a kid.

So I learned watching some wood working videos, some videos on wire foam cutting techniques, and just gave it a try.

It is not hard at all, all you need is a little patience..and you can make it. It is almost like sculpting in a way. I am only a amatuer.
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby FrodoTook » Tue May 15, 2012 11:39 am

I too want to see your vision of Gondolin.

Please do share your model.

The,real,Maeglin

I know why you are
particulary interested in that one.
:thumbsup:

Me too.

=============

Tom Young

Looking at your pictures once again, I see your model of Minas Tirith is quite large, judging from the scale of the figurene book shelf beyond it. It has to be at least 12 feet wide. :shock: I saw your pictures before but am taking the time appreciate them more now.

Very cool room. Love the wall hangings as well. Very cool. 8) I would love to see that room in real life. 8)

I am imagining Gondolin within the encircling mountains on the field of Tumladen.

I so agree with Maeglin, I really do want to see your vision of Gondilin . No pressure...well some. I really do want to see it.

The last glorious kingdom in The Silm. Mirroring Tirion. Thinking...I want to read The Silm...again.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Location: South Carolina...Near the ocean. I wish I could be more Pacific.

Postby darclegion2 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:46 pm

FrodoTook wrote:I too want to see your vision of Gondolin.

The,real,Maeglin

I know why you are

Me too.

=============

Tom Young

Looking at your pictures once again, I see your model of Minas Tirith is quite large, judging from the scale of the figurene book shelf beyond it. It has to be at least 12 feet wide. :shock: I saw your pictures before but am taking the time appreciate them more now.

Very cool room. Love the wall hangings as well. Very cool. 8) I would love to see that room in real life. 8)

I am imagining Gondolin within the encircling mountains on the field of Tumladen.

I so agree with Maeglin, I really do want to see your vision of Gondilin . No pressure...well some. I really do want to see it.

The last glorious kingdom in The Silm. Mirroring Tirion. Thinking...I want to read The Silm...again.

I will post a few paintings from various artist to give you a feel of what I have in mind.
Outer walls
http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gall ... age_id=287
Gondolin
http://sharmacontractors.com/test/new/p ... ndolin.jpg

First off, I would probably keep it simple. A outer wall, square towers, plenty of arches for support, and the concept of circles within circles. It would be on a high Mountain plat form. And in the center a citadel of some sort.

That project my friends is a long way off....if you seen how much space I have left in my game room.....which is zero....you would understand. Plus I have a baby coming, and I have some minis to paint too. Plus I want to game for awhile before another large project.

I get my ideas first from paintings, and drawings...and ofcourse the books.

I would have in the city many arched bridges that connect the inner circles. And a large bridge connecting to the mountain gate. I believe there was 7 gates...before you reached the main fortress. It would be fun to make.
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby darclegion2 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:00 pm

FrodoTook wrote:I too want to see your vision of Gondolin.

The,real,Maeglin

I know why you are

Me too.

=============

Tom Young

Thank you. The mountain range is 12 feet long when put together. The back of MT is about 60 inches long roughly. The height of the most upper wall is 2 feet tall. The cliff with the citadel is 28 inches tall. The Mountain peak is at 34 inches tall.
The outer ring circle circumference...is about 10.5 feet. The radius of the outer most circle is close to 5 feet.

So it is a large model, however, it was made for gaming, not diorama. Keeping in mind I made it to be easily stored and being very modular. It basically can sit on a 12' x 6' table easily. You can place another 4 x 8 table infront of that for Pellennor fields. As I made the design for it, it just so happened accidently, that you can play every part of the castle, so it is easy to get to all of the model. The citadel is the only part that is hard to get to. My table is about 12' x 16'.

I also have Osgilith ruins and Helms Deep. Most of my LOTR minis are 28mm Harlequin minis that are Out of Production, with a mix of Mithril minis.
I have about
600 Gondor infantry/archers, 48 Cav (Harlequin)
200 Rohan infantry/arhcers, 120 cav (Harlequin)
100 Dol Amroth infantry/arhcers, 48 Knights on horseback or cav (Mithril)
500 orks
300 High Elf army (Warhammer)
200 Dwarfs (Vendel)

So basically I have enough to game all the Middle Earth Ages, especially the 2nd age and 3rd age

In a way, the architecture of Gondolin is simular to Minas Tirith, but ofcourse not totally. Most of Tolkien's cities are circles, backing up to, or on top of mountains.

The cool thing, the mountains I made for Minas Tirith, I can use for my Helms Deep, and also for any castle I have, but can be used for the entrance into Moria, or even Erebor (especially).

I pretty much want to game all of Middle Earth, all periods...and I am almost there.

For now, I am going to be making a make shift Gondolin out of a few other castles I have (that I didnt make)....

but one day...I will make Gondolin....

Oh, and my game room is a two car garage, it has too many shelves in it. I have close to about 15,000 plus painted minis, that I have painted in the last 7 years, all in 28mm scale. I am into Warhammer, LOTR, Greek Myth, and (planet of the apes....)

I think I have listen to Lord of the Rings, the Similarion and Children of Hurin about 20-40 times varing while painting minatures over the years. And have hardly played, just paint, buy, build and collect everything for gaming, and have hardly gamed.
tom
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu May 17, 2012 6:48 am

Ok seems we have to be patient about Gondolin than.

But I promise when you have finished it I will not betray it to anyone and let it be destroyed... :wink:

Btw you have 15.000 mini's...??? :shock: :shock: NO wonder you are out of room!
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby darclegion2 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 pm

The,real,Maeglin wrote:Ok seems we have to be patient about Gondolin than.

But I promise when you have finished it I will not betray it to anyone and let it be destroyed... :wink:

Probably over that....the terrain and other castles I have take up alot of space, on shelves and under the table. I sorta have a collecting problem/ habit.

I seem to cant stop painting minis...and just game.

tom
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby darclegion2 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:49 am

The,real,Maeglin wrote:Ok seems we have to be patient about Gondolin than.

But you have made me start really thinking about it....someday....
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby leroyneiman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby darclegion2 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Thank you!
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby darclegion2 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Thank you!
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Re: 28mm scale Minas Tirith

Postby darclegion2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:58 pm

I have now the full blown out Battle of Pelennor fields on my game table. About 2000 minis. Pics of the game are located on my blog.

Tom

http://tidesofwargaming.blogspot.com/

I will probably be playing Osgilith or revert backwards and do the battle of Gondolin.
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Games (Tolkien and More)