Plans to film LotR television series in NZ under threat

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Plans to film LotR television series in NZ under threat

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Here we go again:
The Government has held a crisis meeting with Amazon TV executives as the network threatens to pull plans to film the Lord of the Rings series in New Zealand.

At US$1 billion (NZ$1.49 billion), it is touted as the most expensive television series in history – and accordingly, the most lucrative for the country where it is filmed.

Earlier this year, production company boss Jennifer Salke confirmed New Zealand was being considered as the location – but now, that's in jeopardy.

Read more about it here: https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/109543455/plans-to-film-1-billion-lord-of-the-rings-television-series-in-nz-under-threat. My take has been that the show will probably not film entirely in any one country, though New Zealand is certainly a likely contender.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Re: Plans to film LotR television series in NZ under threat

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:57 am

It never ceases to amaze me how rabidly New Zealand hoards Middle-earth - not that they don't have good reason to, I mean, they have beautiful landscapes and vistas, and Lord of the Rings was like being introduced to the world in a way they never had been before; but it seems a little ridiculous to assume that Amazon has to film the whole series there. I mean, what if they plan to go to, you know, the Ice Wastes of Forochel during the series, or the deserts of Far Harad? I would definitely love to see NZ's other natural wonders explored, and to see places like Matamata that have become so embedded in the public mind, but I wouldn't mind seeing some new locations too.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien