Mithril Knights Warrior's Guild: The Red Dawn of Esgaroth

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Elbren » Sat Mar 31, 2001 6:27 am

NOTICE March 14, 2003: Membership in the Mithril Knights Warrior's Guild is now closed for the duration (at least) of the current Knight in Training tales. Please see our website for updates.<BR><BR><BR>If you are interested in joining the Mithril Knights Warrior's Guild, contact any Mithril Knight and/or the Guild Master, Elbren at <BR>[E]elbren@mithrilknights.org[/E]...or visit our website: <BR> [l url="http://www.mithrilknights.org"]Mithril Knights Warrior's Guild Website[/url] <BR><BR>Upon the shores of the sea sits a building that looks lonely and weatherbeaten. But, in truth, inside lies the history of the Mithril Knights along with many reminders of the rich history of this Guild. Those that have petitioned to join the Guild have been summoned to this remote place in order that they might swear their allegiance and take the Oath that has lived through the Ages of Middle Earth...
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Freahelm » Sat Mar 31, 2001 10:02 am

Freahelm rode slowly as the sun's golden rays beat down upon him. He stopped atop a small hill, and beheld the sea for the first time. The heavy surf beat upon the shore, the sound rising and falling with the movement of the waves. He let his eyes drift to the horizon, and the sea continued on, the same wet mass, stretching beyond his powers of sight. He shook himself, and nudged Blanca, his horse, into a slow trot. <i>"Such places are not for you or I, Blanca. Give me firm ground underfoot, and a sturdy steed to carry me - I will not trust myself to the fickle moods of the sea."</i><BR><BR>He trotted along the sand at the edge of the ocean, churning the earth in his wake. He rounded the point and saw his destination. He frowned, for it was not the great and glorious palace he had led himself to expect. Nay, it was old, and worn. <i>"But then, is it not fitting, Blanca? A warrior, veteran of many battles, never looks so clean and handsome as an untested youth."</i><BR><BR>Blanca picked up his pace, and soon they were at the front of the building. Freahelm rapped boldly upon the great oaken doors of the entrance.
Freahelm
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elbren » Sun Apr 01, 2001 2:33 pm

The door screeched open to reveal a dark wooden room inside. There was a fire burning, a table with fruit and breads, and a few lanterns of Elven making lighting the room.<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby sandra » Sun Apr 01, 2001 3:00 pm

So peaceful and cosy. The smell of stewed rabbit scented the air. Reminents of silver lay on a chest to the right and carcus's of white winged sea birds hung from the ceiling. Every wall displayed reminders of the battles these gallant Knights fought in.....
sandra
Ringbearer

Postby Idril » Sun Apr 01, 2001 7:21 pm

Idril was riding for the coast even though she had not been there. She could smell the seasalt on the air and knew that she was getting closer to her destination. She spots the building that was described to her and she pats <i>Thalion</i> and whispers to him that they are almost there.<BR><BR>Once there, she dismounts and sets <i>Thalion</i> free to wander in the green fields nearby, grazing as he pleases. She walks to the door and knocks and the doors are opened to her. She passes the great oak doors and sees inside the table ladened with food and a fire burning. She nods to <b>Elbren</b> and grabbing an apple goes to the fire to warm herself awaiting the ceremony that will soon take place here in this magnificant old building.
Idril
Ranger of the North

Postby Barad-dur » Mon Apr 02, 2001 2:05 am

(note: since it is unclear to me what the time setting is here, I will not use the name Barad-dur since it would be out of place if we are in the 1st Age.)<BR><BR>The Black Knight slowly lifted the visor of his helm, gazing at the ancient fortress with an expressionless face. Beyond the keep, the sea raged, waging its endless battle with the earth, while gulls circled above the surf, their piercing cries mingling with the crash of the waves upon the lonely shore.<BR><BR>The time had come at last, the summons received. He alone had come, for of his peers that followed the path of darkness, only he could claim any right or kinship with those that would gather here today.<BR><BR>He had passed one riderless steed upon the fields, and as he rode up to the gates, he saw another horse tied to a hitching post. So, at least two of the others had already arrived. He wondered briefly if their host waited within.<BR><BR>Dismounting, the Black Knight tied the reins of Dûralkar, a fine and strong black warhorse, to the post and walked up to the great doors. He raised one mailed fist and struck the oak door twice. Soundlessly, the door swung open, and the Black Knight proceeded within, taking notice of those inside.
Barad-dur
Mariner

Postby the mouth of sauron » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:59 am

Helazzar made his way along the little used path as it rose to meet a stony coast line, the track bent to the east and he made his way to the old outpost and tied his horse up with Blanca and Dûralkar.<BR>. The sea sang a sweet and deadly song in his ears, Helazzar knocked twice on the door and entered the room as the great door swung open and closed behind him with out effort or sound as Helazzar to made his way to a poorly lit corner, he made no eye contact with anyone, yet he took in the features of every person and object in the room.<BR>Helazzar sat in the corner and closed his eyes and fine tuned his other sense such as hearing and smelling to name a few, moments later he knew the sent and breathing pattern and distance of everyone in the room...<BR>Helazzar smiled to himself<BR>
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby meneltarma » Mon Apr 02, 2001 6:20 am

Meneltarma rode on her horse,Silvermane,towards the appointed place,wondering what she would find there.She looked at the sea,and there was a look of peace in her face,for her mother had been of Dol Amroth,and there was elven blood in her veins.She made her way to the building chosen for the oath swearing,and pushed open the door...
meneltarma
Ranger of the North

Postby Elemmire » Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:53 am

Elemmire's small boat ground against the shore at the foot of a hill. At the top of the hill was a lonely house, worn, yet with a look about it that said it would stand for a long time yet to come. She removed her shoes and stepped into the water, pulling the boat farther onto the shore and tying it to a small, gnarled tree. Stiff from hours spent on the sea, she stretched, then began walking up the hill.
Elemmire
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elbren » Mon Apr 02, 2001 2:33 pm

(Heh, I don't know what Age we're in right now, 3rd or 4th I guess, but during the Initiation, we will "visit" the 1st Age with our minds)<BR><BR>Elbren stood and welcomed the arrivals, "Welcome to the first Guild House of the Mithril Knights, thank you for journeying here to take the Initiation journey. If you will proceed through the double doors at the South end of the Hall, once you have been fed and warmed by the fire, you will find a room where you can store your gear and clothing. Your horses will be tended to by our stablemaster, so worry not of them. Eat well, though, ere you leave the Hall, for after this meal, we will fast for three days."<BR><BR>**The room through the double doors is beautifully carved in dark wood with one wall completely covered in a mural of both paints and carved wood depicting a battle against what looks like Melkor in the North. Each of you will find a wooden trunk with your name carved upon it in this room for gear storage**
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Jasera » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:15 am

As Jasera rode over the rise and caught a glimpse of the see a smile played across her features. She always loved visiting the sea and this was to be a particularly pleasant visit. The smell of the salt, the sound of the waves, she had forgotten how wonderful it all was. It had been too long indeed, and now she was returning to join the Mithril Knights. How exciting. <BR><BR>After dismounting and tethering her steed, she walked up to the door and knocked gently. The door opened and she saw the room beyond. It was spectacular.
Jasera
Shield Bearer

Postby Aglanor » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:37 am

Aglanor walked along the beach. The sun was already fading behind the horizon. A soft wind played with his hair and cloak. His sword was by his side.<BR><BR>In the distance Aglanor saw a building atop of a cliff. <i>That is the place of my dreams. That's where I must go.</i> He started walking around the cliff to find a way up. After walking another hour he finally came at a gate. It was open. Inside there were about half a dozen horses. A stablemaster was attending to them. Aglanor did not waste time. He walked the stairs and came into a room. <BR><BR>It was beautiful.<BR><BR>Already a large crowd was there eating and drinking. When hearing of the activities for the next few days, Aglanor started eating as much as everyone else, now and then shaking hands with the strangers to familiarize himself with every other called to this destiny.
Aglanor
Mariner

Postby Freahelm » Tue Apr 03, 2001 12:26 pm

I bowed to the Elf, in response. I had not yet touched the food, for I had been engaged in closely observing the intricate workings on the wood. It was exceedingly fine, even by the standards of the Riddermark, and we take great pride in our skill with wood.<BR><BR>But now I stepped to the table, and carefully sampled a piece of fruit. For some time I ate in silence, until I had consumed my fill. I glanced about at the others, who were still eating. Silence reigned, at first, and when it was broken it was only by soft speech. I knew all felt, as I did, the solemnity of the ages that weighed upon this place. But slowly the coversation grew, and others entered. I greeted each with warmth, but otherwise kept to myself. I thought briefly of Blanca, but then relaxed. The Elf had said the horses would be well cared for, and I have not yet known an Elf to break his word, nor give it lightly. <BR><BR>The Elf rose again, calling for silence, and said,<BR><BR><i>"At dawn, after you have rested this night, we will meet here again and begin the ceremony. It will be necessary that you eat no more after midnight and that you leave all weapons and metal in the trunks provided for you in the Inner Hall. I am going to the meditation chamber, which you will all visit in the morning with me; until then, I bed you all a good night...and,"</i> he added with a strange smile, <i>"I wish you good journeying."</i><BR><BR>I turned to the great doors at the south, and walked toward them. I placed my hand upon the firm wood and looked for a handle, but found none. I put my wieght against one and pushed, and it silently swung inward. <BR><BR>I walked into the center of the room beyond, and turned in a slow circle, drinking in the sight. Then I walked slowly to the wall with the mural, and a slow breath of wonder escaped me. I know not how long I walked up and down the wall, feasting upon the sight. Again and again I came to a certain panel, where men with golden hair battled furiously against great hordes of enemies. Golden hair...the hair of my fathers, and myself. The hair of Eorl, and all my ancestors as far back as our tales went. Were these my ancestors, that fought in the wars against the Dark Lord of ages long ago? <BR><BR>At long last, I turned and strode to the trunk that bore my name. It opened easily, and within lay a garment of a silver sheen. I touched the fabric with my fingers softly, marvelling at its smoothness and intricacy. I removed it, and lay it aside. I took off my things, and lay them carefully in the trunk, and donned the garment. Then I raised my eyes to see a servant, standing at a doorway I had not seen before.<BR><BR>As I walked to him, he turned and went throught the doorway. I followed.
Freahelm
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elbren » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:41 pm

Elbren called for quiet in the Hall, standing near the fire in a tunic of silver that shone like the moon and starlight together. <BR> <BR>"At dawn, after you have rested this night, we will meet here again and begin the ceremony. It will be necessary that you eat no more after midnight and that you leave all weapons and metal in the trunks provided for you in the Inner Hall. I am going to the meditation chamber, which you will all visit in the morning with me; until then, I bid you all a good night...and," he added with a strange smile, "I wish you good journeying." <BR> <BR>**The foods have been spiced with an herb that will induce very lucid dreams, not quite a "vision" inducing herb or hallucinogenic, but something that will open your senses to the elements and the energies in the house**
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Idril » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:09 pm

Idril was quite full and the announcement of the ajoining room had her curiousity up. So soon after Elbren's announcement, she rose and silently walked through the double doors and into the room that was described to them. She was very taken with the mural and she stood looking at it for some time almost as if she remembered the battle herself. That was of course impossible but it was a great battle and the peoples were so familiar to her. <BR><BR>Suddenly she remembered that she must stow her weapons and things away and she reluctantly turned away from the mural and looked for the promised trunk. She easily opened the beautiful lid and it had a silver robe likened to Elbren's. She took it out and started wtih placing her sword in its scabbard and then at the bottom of the trunk. This gave her an odd feeling of vulnerability, even or especially here. She did not understand the feeling and she thought on it as she placed her other weapons, mail and clothing in the trunk and donned the beautiful garb provided for her. She wondered about her hair for a moment and decided that she must keep it braided and tethered. <BR><BR>So with that decision she closed the trunk and turned finger combing her hair, looking again at the mural as she started to braid her hair. About the time she was done, she turned and noticed a servant had appeared. She walked to him and he turned so she followed him to her sleeping chambers for the night.
Idril
Ranger of the North

Postby Aglanor » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:59 am

Aglanor laid down on the bed. His sword and chainmail were now lying in the trunk that was appointed to him. The bed was soft, with beautiful silk sheets and soft cushions. But Aglanor did not prefer sheets and cushions. So he threw them off and laid on the bare matras. <BR><BR>He watched around the room. The beautiful and intricate wall paintings reminded him of the Elven caves in Mirkwood forest. The chandelair that hung from the ceiling was a sight to behold in itself. This all has to be made by elves.<BR><BR>Very soon he was of to sleep, and his rest was peaceful....
Aglanor
Mariner

Postby the mouth of sauron » Wed Apr 04, 2001 5:19 am

Helazzar ate what he thought would be needed to sustain him for the next three days. Helazzar did not speak to anyone but kept a close eye on Freahelm. Sometime later Helazzar also made his way down the south passage, until he came to apart of the tapestry that had a great Elf lord in battle with a Balrog on some distant mountain peaks, if only such great foe's as the balrogs still remained in ME... who knows, maybe they do? For sometime Helazzar marveled at the fair picture and then having his fill, he made his way to the chest that bore his name, he checked the hallway, there was nobody to be seen, Helazzar removed his armor and swords as well as his many hidden weapons. He removed from the chest a black robe with silver trim; it was a perfect fit. A short time later Helazzar found a stately room in which he found a bed to sleep upon, and he did so.<BR><BR>****They were there again, the Elf lord "Glorfindel" and the great Balrog, the battle was played out as if he were there upon Cirith Thoroath with them "Helazzar, you are the son of my people and of mortal man, in you is the even temper of both and there weaknesses, great deeds lay before you and even greater foe's, but you are of my blood and my courage and you shall not fail.... As I did" and with that Glorfindel fell to his death, and the great beast which is the Balrog laughed and was consumed with fire and was gone****<BR>
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby Elemmire » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:49 pm

The finely carved chest with Elemmire's name on it was beneath a portion of the mural depicting a fiery battle. In the distance mountains shone harsh against the blue sky. In the foreground flames and Elves were whipped with a bitter wind. Only those fleeing on horses could outrun the searing blaze.<BR><BR>Elemmire turned her eyes to the trunk in front of her and opened it. Inside lay a simple garment of silver and white. She quickly donned it and laid her weapons and traveling clothes in the chest. With a last glance at the painting she turned and exited the hall.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Elemmire
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elbren » Wed Apr 04, 2001 5:02 pm

Elbren left the meditation chamber where he had prepared each darkened nook for the morning's Initiation; he lit the incense and placed the proper herbs upon the fire until a misty fog veiled the room in gray.<BR><BR>He walked out, locking the doors, and then moved soundlessly to the front double doors. He opened them and looked from the sea to the plains, awaiting to see if the others would come...for soon, he must lock the doors to all but those who would enter the place from which they would never be the same...<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:13 pm

Arriving late, Tempest entered through the large oak doors as a gentle rain began to fall. The room inside was dimly lit, but the tables were laid full with food, the delicious aromas meeting her senses and drawing her further inside. <BR><BR>She wrung out her hair by the door, trying hard not to drip too much water on the dark wooden floors. Her hands were icy from the long trip and she held them next to the fire. Her features were softened in the warm glow and she rubbed her hands together as she eyed the food. She picked up a piece of fruit and held it under her nose, breathing in the sweetness. Then, with a quick movement, she unsheathed her sword and tossed the fruit into the air, slicing it neatly in twain. <BR><BR>She smiled with satisfaction, but then sat down tiredly. She wondered if Elbren was still around to show her to a room.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Barad-dur » Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:57 pm

In his room now, the Black Knight stared intently at the mural upon the wall. Painted in masterful strokes of red and black, mingled with green and white, the scene depicted was that of the Fall of Gondolin, as the armies of the Dark Lord washed upon the high walls of Turgon's city like mighty waves against a crumbling cliff. Closing his eyes momentarily, he could almost hear the cries of the dying once again, the creaking of the engines of war, and the roaring fire of the dragons. A wistful smile played about his usually grim lips. What a glorious battle it had been!<BR><BR>Removing his suit of armour and helm, he carefully placed the accoutrements of war inside the chest with the plaque that bore no name, for not even his host knew what his true identity was. He then did likewise with his great mace and black shield, then closed the lid and dressed himself in the dark robe provided for him. Wondering what dreams the night would bring this time, the Black Knight lay down upon the bed and waited for sleep to claim him.
Barad-dur
Mariner

Postby strider- » Wed Apr 04, 2001 7:41 pm

The message arrived in secret with cryptic words and ancient script. Long had she been on the road to the sea. She could smell it now, it's clear crisp salty smell moved across her face with the breeze. She sighed and breathed deeply, this place had a sense of home about it, if ever there could be one. As if in a whisper that surrounded here, rain began to fall. First lightly then heavily down upon her.<BR><BR>She had ridden far and both she and her horse were tired. He was great war horse of the North, tall and black with a long thick mane and a tail that swept the ground behind him. His bridle was black and silver, scrolled by the hand of the tanner of Edoras. Across his chest he bore the coat of arms of the Northern Kingdom of Arthedain. His rider, a woman, was dressed plainly in black with light silver mail and the mark of the King on her breast. Around her was a black hooded cloak and at her back the sword, Mòralach. Jaxon urged Bydand into a faster trot, the rain was not letting up. <BR><BR>The final stretch of road that wound to the weather worn building seemed longer than it first appeard. Finally she reached it, from the outside it appeared as empty and in darkness. She began to wonder if this was the right place.<BR><BR>She dismounted, stroking her horse, Bydand's, neck and looking for a reasonbly dry place to tie him. Just then, a young man appeared, as if from the rock walls themselves, bowed low and took the reins from her and motioned to the great oak doors. She pushed them open and walked through. Inside was quiet, the smell of a wood fire burning met her senses. She was glad to be out of the rain. She could see the warm flickering glow of the fire in a room ahead of her. Reaching the room, she stood in the doorway. She first was in awe at the rustic beauty of the place. The great chests, the murals, there was so much to look at. She pulled back the dark hood of her cloak, there was only one other person in the room. A woman near the fire, sat eating.<BR><BR><i>"Good."</i> she thought, judging by the other woman's wet hair, <i>"I'm not the only one who is late."</i> She took a seat near the fire, and nodded to the woman sitting there.
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Jasera » Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:03 am

Jasera nodded to the woman who had just walked in and continued eating. When she had finished she stood and walked over to the newcomer.<BR><BR><i>Hello, my name is Jasera. You may have my seat by the fire if you wish, I'm going to get some rest before tomorrow. We each have a trunk in the next room where we are to put all of our belongings. Farewell until the morning.</i><BR><BR>She then walked into the adjoining room and quickly located her trunk. After stowing her weapons and donning the silver robe she found there, she studied the mural for a few moments and then went and found her bed.
Jasera
Shield Bearer

Postby orodreth111 » Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:24 am

Orodreth111 was weary,many times in the past he had recieved the summons and each time he had declined to answer. But something was different this time. Ages past his people had learned the folly of participating in the politics of middle-earth. Yea, his family had paid dearly for it's involvement. But something was different this time, there was a sense of urgency in the summons that could not be denied; and so , he had come. As he wound his way up the lower ramparts he observed some markings upon the weather-beaten masonry work that reminded him faintly of the beautful dwarven craftsmanship in the halls of Nargothrond back in his early youth. He smiled wistfully as he made his way to the great doors marking the entrance to this intriguing castle..........
orodreth111
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Thu Apr 05, 2001 9:14 am

Elbren strode into the Fire Hall, nodded to the two ladies there, with an especial, knowing grin for Tempest, and then stopped at the huge double doors. He opened them, peered out into the darkness of the deep night, waited a moment, and then shut them again.<BR><BR>He drew a key from around his neck, and locked them with a loud, audible click. It even sounded like the doors whispered something as a light breeze blew through the room and then a silence descended.<BR><BR>He then turned and walked over to where Tempest and Jaxon were sitting and made himself comfortable by the fire. No one spoke at first, though he could tell that their curiousity was peaked.<BR><BR>"I could tell you what to expect, but then I would be a liar, and," he grinned, "I would lose my Guild status and, most likely, be killed by an elder member." He stood, "I'll see you in a few hours."<BR><BR>For dawn was not far off...<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Thu Apr 05, 2001 6:16 pm

**All through the night, distant sounds of battle horns, horses' screams, sword upon sword, the twang of bows, the scream of dragons, the dreadful cries of horrid, nameless things...the distinct clanging of metal gates resounds through the house and the hills surrounding it, leaving the Guild invitees wondering if the House is enchanted in some way**
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby orodreth111 » Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:33 pm

Orodreth saw a gleam of light coming from the gigantic door that quickly disappeared followed by an authorative click.He quickly scrambled up the remaining steps to the great entrancway. Grasping the ornate knocker he paused. Was it truly time for a prince of the Noldor to again partake in the affairs of the world? What kind of reception would he recieve.Years spent wandering the wilds alone had made him introspective. He knew that there would quite possibly be ancient enemies drawn to the Guild hall for initiation and he wondered how he would feel meeting them on neutral ground."Ah well",he thought, " it will at least be interesting". Mastering his resolve he knocked loudly. A moment passed before the great doors shuddered open revealing a great but darkened hall, the embers from a fire casting eary shadows amongst the tapestries and arms displayed throughout. Looking down he spied an ancient dwarf who peered warily back up at him." Do you answer the summons my lord?" croaked the wizened dwarf."I do", responded Orodreth, shuddering alittle as a strong breeze blew in through the open doors." come in, come in, quickly before this wind becomes the death of you and me!" cried the dwarf, as he quickly slammed the doors shut." The others have all retired for the evening, but I think I can find you a warm bed somewhere in this place. Please, follow me." Orodreth said nothing, but followed the old creature up the winding stairs and down a long hallway to a small butcozy room, a bed turned down and a small fire crackling merrily." Will you be needing anything else before I retire , m'lord?" Asked the old dwarf. " No, this will suffice nicely."replied Orodreth. The door shut and Orodreth cast himself down upon the bed and was soon in an Elven slumber..........
orodreth111
Ranger of the North

Postby Elemmire » Fri Apr 06, 2001 2:34 pm

Even before sleep fully enveloped her, Elemmire could hear the cries of friends and enemies alike, though what they said she could not make out. The crackle of flames grew nearer as as she slipped deeper into her dreams, and she could almost taste the acrid smoke.
Elemmire
Rider of the Mark

Postby Idril » Fri Apr 06, 2001 11:29 pm

She had fallen into a deep sleep and dream. A nightmare of sorts and she lay tossing and turning. She was uneasy as the dream was more around an ancient battle. Suddenly she saw her sword but could not make out whom it was that wielded the sword. There were many different groups of people around her fighting; there were elves, dwarves, and men. They all seemed to be fighting the battle against a great blackness. She could only make out what she deemed were the fighters for good and the black ‘shadows’ were faceless wisps of smoke that they were unable to catch or kill. They would disapate when struck and then re-emerge suddenly behind their foe or to the<BR>side. <BR><BR>She focused on the sword. It was her sword, the one that she carried, <i>Silmar</i>. She knew it was one and the same because of the many jewels upon the hilt of silver, and the intricate carvings<BR>upon the shard where it connected to the hilt. It was a massive sword whose blade was an unassuming dark grey and when struck, a bright flash of white light would be seen, sometimes blinding its foe. <BR><BR>Suddenly in her dream, it was used and it was used against one of its masters kindred! The elf fell to the great blade and it shown with a white hot light. <i>Silmar’s</i> master had gone mad! The battle rages all around the one holding it and yet, he does not fight now. He bends and looks to be yelling at the fallen elf. He grabs him, jerking him up and then drops him as he lay dying. The dying elf reaches up as in friendship and trust, only to take his last breath and die in a pool of his own blood. The battle has veered off in the distance by the time the warrior stands up and looks for another to fight. Finding himself standing off from the battle he turns, leaving the battle behind him.<BR><BR>She awakens with a scream, finding herself standing up and ready as if to fight an unseen enemy. It takes her a few moments to realize where she is and what she is here to find out and do. It was the same dream that she had been having for some time. And each time it left her wondering about Silmar’s master in the dream. Was it her? Was it her father? Was it another? Why did the master of <i>Silmar</i> kill one of his own kind? She must find the answer to this question before she left here. And no matter what, she hoped that buy her own deeds, she could somehow 'redeem' her sword and herself. <BR><BR>The morning lite had yet to rise as she kneels next to her bed and tries to remember what face she saw in her dream as he always eludes her. She will sleep no more this night.
Idril
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Sat Apr 07, 2001 8:01 am

Elbren stood in his silver robes, lighting the candles in the meditation chamber as the incense layered the room in misty gray. He had the oils prepared on the tray, each one meticulously infused with the ancient recipes. He looked up to see the massive mural that surrounded all four walls...<BR><BR>The Invitees would face first the East wall where the battle of Dagor-nuin-Giliath was portrayed. His keen, grey eyes traveled the length of the painting, noting the intense life-like expressions of the paints. He shook his head; it was still impressive, even after seeing it so many times. <BR><BR>In the top left corner was the arrival of Feanor, his sons, and the Exiles with them, landing in the waste of Lammoth, the Great Echo, at the shores of the Firth of Drengist. They all had their mouths open and their fists raised as they screamed a mighty challenge to Morgoth that they had arrived.<BR><BR>Farther up, near the dark mountains, were orcs, Balrogs, and other dark creatures that were clearly listening in bewilderment and then anger. Elbren winced a bit as he fancied hearing the growls and foul language of the dark creatures, but then, he knew the murals contained life and energies of their own. <BR><BR>His eyes continued along the colors until he then focused upon the Exiles as they traveled the Firth into the land of Hithlum, and then finally to the long lake of Mithrim.<BR><BR>Elbren's heart stopped and his mouth went dry as he looked up to see the hosts of Morgoth moving at an unnaturally rapid pace through the passes of Ered Wethrin and then falling upon Feanor's people, completely caught off guard, with no defenses built or permanent dwelling yet raised.<BR><BR>But the Noldor were mighty and filled with the spirit of Exile that had led them back to Beleriand. The orcs actually fled from them, defeated and baffled at the incredible energy coming forth from the Exiles. Then there was the figure of Celegorm, pointing and drawing his sword, as more orcs joined the fleeing host. It was no matter; Celegorm's band fell upon them and left them in mounds of death. Ten days the battle lasted. A handful of orcs made their way sullenly back to Angband. <BR><BR>Morgoth was not pleased.<BR><BR>But then, Elbren's eyes moved near the end of the East wall mural, and there was Feanor, in his anger and white heat, pursuing the orcs alone and into certain peril. There he was, in his shining mail, his sword brandished mightily, fighting valiantly upon the Plain of Dor Daedeloth before Angband, Feanor's laughter echoed upon the iron walls before him.<BR><BR>Elbren's mouth went ghostly dry as Balrogs were let forth from Angband and with swift precision, surrounded Feanor, who stood alone. <BR><BR>Feanor never faltered nor did his pores issue the scent of fear; he fought on, determined, though he was wrapped in fire and lashed with whip again and again. Finally, though, a mightly Balrog, Gothmog, stepped forth and smote Feanor such a blow that the Elf Lord fell to his knees, dazed, and his sword fell from his hand.<BR><BR>His sons came then, finally, and drove off the Balrogs. But, Feanor had taken his death wound, and he knew it. They carried him from that field and tried to get him to their new home for tending, but Feanor, when they reached Ethel Sirion, he bade them stop. There he cursed Morgoth thrice and as death drew near, the veils between the spirit and mortal world began to intertwine. With anger in his heart, he was granted the foreknowledge that the Noldor would never overthrow Morgoth on their own.<BR><BR>He spoke to his sons of their Oath, and they kneeled next to him, swearing it again and swearing to always serve their own hearts and their own minds above anyone else's. Feanor then took one of the mightiest of talismans and gifted it to Maglor.<BR><BR>When he died, his spirit was so hot and full of fire that his body was consumed and turned to ash before their very eyes.<BR><BR>Thus ended the East wall mural.<BR><BR>Elbren stepped back, sweat upon his brow and his heart pounding. No matter how many times one studied the mural, its power was never lessened in any way. The power of its creator was pulsing like a Silmaril.<BR><BR>He then walked to the doors, opened them, and waited for the Invitees to enter and begin their dreamquest...<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)