The Annúminas Inn

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Arthedainian » Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:42 am

The West Tower stood deserted for many years, but it never fell totally into evil with the vigilance of the Rangers of the North. There was always a small, somewhat secretive place that remained even through the dark times from the days of Arvedui. But these days of King Elessar, the end of the War of the Ring, and reunification of the Kingdom of Elendil, there was more life once again at the <b>Annúminas Inn</b>. But still only a few yet came there. The Inn had come into ownership of Aveg Anorian, who being a veteran of the war and a Ranger who rode with the King through the Paths of the Dead and to Umbar, he took leave of the King 10 years after his marriage to Lady Arwen. He rode about the lands in those ten years and settled the people of Khand, Rhún, Harad, and Dunland before finally riding to his beloved north. He used his wartime pay he saved to buy the old Inn from its shady and aged owner, Henry Ferny. Aveg spent much time and effort fixing up and restoring the ancient works that were the Annúminas Inn.<BR><BR>Aveg tended the place and didn't really make much money, but he didnt go broke either. The selection of drinks varied on what he could get at the time and such, and the few rooms were comfortable. He was wiping down the bar and looked at the few who had gathered there making sure they were pleased.
Arthedainian
Ranger of the North

Postby Amarie » Tue Jun 19, 2001 11:02 am

At a corner table, a young maiden was drinking. Her head was bent and her dark locks framed her fair face. A five-rayed star hung from a chain around her dainty neck. She was busy scribbling something down. Scrolls, maps and parchments were spread all over the table. She suddenly looked up and gestured for another drink.
Amarie
Mariner

Postby RavenTinuviel » Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:36 pm

Yawning and stretching, A fair young mortal woman came into the common room from her room still sleepy. <i>"Do you have any strong tea or something to wake me???"</i> she asked the propieter.
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby strider- » Tue Jun 19, 2001 4:16 pm

The sky outside the Inn turned a dark blue with rain clouds moving in under the morning sun. A loud booming crack of thunder rumbled far off and the air that had been so still and quiet was now alive with the steady whisper of rain. Soon the rain was pouring down so hard it became difficult to even see across the quiet cobblestone walk to the stable.<BR><BR>The door opened quietly and a tall dark figure cloaked in black stood in it's entry. Quickly the traveler removed their cloak and hung it near the door. Turning into the bar the figure glided onto a nearby bar stool, shoved some coins at the Innkeeper and said,<BR><BR><i>"Warm brandy."</i> she said, then taking the towel offered to her by Arveg the Innkeeper she began to dry what little of herself she could.<BR><BR>He returned with a drink for the lady with a questioning look of curious familiarity.<BR><BR><i>"Have you a room?"</i> she asked lowly.<BR><BR>
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby Lomedhel » Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:55 am

Sami came down the stairs and sat at the bar.<BR>"I'm going to leave tomorrow, please wake me and make my horse ready." he said to the innkeeper, "And bring me an ale."
Lomedhel
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:32 am

A gust of cold air that made the young maiden's scrolls and parchments rattle and flutter, and the smell of rain indicated that the door had been opened again. Those who cared to look up beheld another cloaked and hooded shape, its garments wet and stained with travel. The stranger closed the door swiftly behind him to shut out the beastly rain, and shook himself in disgust. "What a weather", he muttered to himself. Even though he spoke Westron, there was a strange accent to his voice. Those who had been to the South knew that it was an Adûnaic one. And when the stranger lowered his hood to address the innkeeper, there was no mistaking him for a Haradan - a rather unusual sight in an inn so far to the North, as he was well aware of. <BR><BR>He, too, hung his drenched black cloak near the door, revealing long, flowing dark-coloured garments typical for the denizens of the Harad, and, surprisingly, a broadsword of Gondorian made at his side instead of the usual Haradaic scimitar. After glancing around and studying the other guests, he went over to Aveg. <BR><BR>"Greetings", he said, "I need stabling for one horse, and a room for the night. And something warm to drink. The weather you get here is awful."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:34 am

A gust of cold air that made the young maiden's scrolls and parchments rattle and flutter, and the smell of rain indicated that the door had been opened again. Those who cared to look up beheld another cloaked and hooded shape, its garments wet and stained with travel. The stranger closed the door swiftly behind him to shut out the beastly rain, and shook himself in disgust. "What a weather", he muttered to himself. Even though he spoke Westron, there was a strange accent to his voice. Those who had been to the South knew that it was an Adûnaic one. And when the stranger lowered his hood to address the innkeeper, there was no mistaking him for a Haradan - a rather unusual sight in an inn so far to the North, as he was well aware of. <BR><BR>He, too, hung his drenched black cloak near the door, revealing long, flowing dark-coloured garments typical for the denizens of the Harad, and, surprisingly, a broadsword of Gondorian made at his side instead of the usual Haradaic scimitar. After glancing around and studying the other guests, he went over to Aveg. <BR><BR>"Greetings", he said, "I need stabling for one horse, and a room for the night. And something warm to drink. The weather you get here is awful."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Arthedainian » Thu Jun 21, 2001 7:46 am

Aveg got a cup of fresh brewed Khand coffee for the dark-haired lady who awoke, and an ale for the elf, saying to him,<BR><BR><i>"I wake no one and is you ask the stable hands they will have your horse ready."</i><BR><BR>Stepping over to one who seemed familiar, Aveg gave them a room saying,<BR><BR><i>"You been about these parts have you not??"</i><BR><BR>Leaving 'em with that thought, he handed the dark gent a key to a room, and signalled the hand to stable the two men's horses. He poured some of the Khand coffee for the dark man and said,<BR><BR><i>"Yeah, it rains alot, but it keeps the grasses green and the lake blue and full."</i> <BR><BR>He walked back over and refilled the brandy for the familiar stranger.
Arthedainian
Ranger of the North

Postby Lomedhel » Thu Jun 21, 2001 11:26 am

"<i>Even not if I going to pay for it?</i>" said the elf and raising his hand he let three pieces of gold falling on the ground. Then sipping his ale he smiled sadly and said: "<i>Men up here used to be friendly, in times ago...</i>"
Lomedhel
Ranger of the North

Postby Amarie » Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:03 pm

The young maiden at the corner was studying the Haradan with keen interest. After a while, she smiled to herself and went back to her scrolls. "The weather here is terrible," she murmured to herself. The winds and the rain were much gentler in her home in the South. She sighed, knowing that she wouldn't be able to get much sleep for she had work to finish.
Amarie
Mariner

Postby Khorazir » Thu Jun 21, 2001 1:58 pm

"Yes", the Haradan said as he took the cup of coffee, smelled it, then took a rather careful sip, "the welcome here is almost as cold as the weather". Once more he studied his surroundings. For a moment his eyes rested on the maiden in the corner, busy with her scrolls. Then he gazed at the elf, and there was unveiled curiousity in his glance. "Do you mind if I join you?" he asked. "We do not see many of your folk where I come from."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby ~Luthien~ » Thu Jun 21, 2001 4:51 pm

Immortal though seeming too look young, ~Luthien~ walks in and sits down on a chair near the conflagration. Seeing the owner she asked, <i>"Sir, may I have a champagne?"</i>
~Luthien~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arwen740 » Thu Jun 21, 2001 11:12 pm

Strolling from the back, a tray in hand, Alya wove her way towards the morning group. Swishing by Aveg, giving him a wink with her black eyes, she smiled a delicate pirate's smile as she handed out drinks. Strong tea, warm brandy, ale; everyone was thirsty. And Alya was mindful of the door as the cold air rushed in, making sure to close it quickly when it was left open. Feeling a tug on her long, black braid, she turned swiftly to laugh at the Haradan, pulling quickly away. <BR>Her exotic slanting eyes nestled high upon olive cheekbones, she was only half Haradan. She gazed across the room for a moment, a loving pause, a glance at her dear Aveg.
Arwen740
Ranger of the North

Postby Idril » Fri Jun 22, 2001 12:25 am

He walked in cloaked in a weathered old cloak and before stepping inside, had shaken off most of the water from the down pour outside. He had also pulled the cloaks hood back only a little so he could see better. He need something to warm his old bones and he couldn't find a quiet place. He walked in and saw that there was a few people already there at various tables. He chose a secluded table in another corner of the room and put his staff in the corner behind him.<BR><BR>He sat down and looked up as a young lady come to his table and asked him what he would like.<BR><BR><i>"I would appreciate some hot, black coffee with whiskey if you have it to warm these old bones."</i> He eyed the young lady's figure with appreciative eyes but he was older than the hills and figured that she had a beau. <BR><BR>The man that was standing at the bar looked familiar to him but he was sure that it could not be the one he was thinking of as he was dead. But they could be relatives or it was just a great likeness. He nodded to the man as he prepared his coffee for him and he sat back as his robes showed through the cloak and he was careful to hide not only his money bag but his herb pouch and another that hang close by. He took the coins out of the one pouch and laid them on the table as his coffee was served.
Idril
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen740 » Fri Jun 22, 2001 12:44 am

The older gent had a wizened look as he dropped the coins on the table. "Coffee and whiskey, Sir," I said softly, as I caught the gleam in his eye. I turned and glanced down to see the edge of fine, heavy cloth folded beneath the tattered cloak. 'Must be an important so-n-so, hidin his identity so carefully,' I thought.<BR><BR>I caught the edge of a parchment with my foot as it drifted across the room. I returned it to the curious young maiden who was studying maps and papers in the corner.<BR>I looked over at my love as he set more glasses on the bar, sighing to myself. The day had just begun and the memories of his arms around me, keeping me from rising early, were still fresh on my soft skin.
Arwen740
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 22, 2001 1:18 am

Over his coffee, which was quite strong, but an excellent means to return some warmth to his body, the Haradan glanced around and studied the other guests of the inn. He was amazed by the number of Elves he saw. He knew them mostly from tales, where, since it had been Haradaic tales, or tales from Númenor in its late years before the "Downfall", the Elves had been enemies. But he had never believed that they were indeed as fell and evil as the stories made them. Had he not recently been forced to change his opinion on and his image of the tarks as well (he smiled slightly to himself as this name for the Dúnedain came to his mind, for he still liked the impression somehow)?<BR>Well, but now they were allies. He looked down at the sword hanging from his belt, and an image of the person who had given it to him came to his mind, and all the - mostly - hard feelings that he held for him. And yet ... now they were allies ...<BR><BR>He shook himself to get rid of these thoughts, and took another sip of the coffee. He was far away now from Gondor, and this was good so.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Fri Jun 22, 2001 5:56 am

And yet another traveller entered the inn. He looked like a Dunadan in features, yet his hair was blonde. With him entered a dwarf.<BR>They stopped for a moment, astonished at the illustruous gentry that had assembled in the inn. Especially a man from Harad caught their interest.<BR>"Do you think that's him, Maradir?" the Dwarf whispered.<BR>"I don't know," Maradir answered. "Let's go and ask him." They went over to the Southron's table.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 22, 2001 7:15 am

The Haradan had just finished his coffee when he realised that two people were approaching him. Or one and a half rather. Even more than Elves, Dwarves were strange to him. He had come across a few on his travels, and during his sojourn in Minas Tirith, but he had to admit to himself that he knew next to nothing about this folk. And those two walked straight towards him. He straightened a little in his chair, and waited, suddenly feeling a strange thrill. It seemed almost as if they knew him, and he was not sure if he liked it.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Fri Jun 22, 2001 7:40 am

Maradir stopped short in front of the Haradan. The man glowered at him and did not seem to like being thus briskly approached. Maradir remebered his manners and bowed towards the Southron. He only stared back in silence.<BR>"This is going to be interesting," Maradir said to his small companion. The dwarf only shrugged. Maradir turned back to the Haradan.<BR>"May I introduce myself?" No reaction. "My name is Maradir, Lord of the Hidden people of Minas Thoron." He did not know whether he was accosting the right man and even if he indeed faced the man called Khorazîr, there was still a chance that the Southron had never heard about him.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 22, 2001 8:05 am

The Haradan studied him closely (especially his weapons). Then he nodded his head, only slightly. Apparently this was supposed to be a greeting. "Pleased to meet you, Lord Maradir", he said, and gave the man another long glance. "You approached this table as if you were looking especially for me. Yet, to be honest, I cannot recall having met you, or your companion, before. And your name is strange to me as well. So what is it you want of me?" Realising that this had been a rather curt greeting, and not intending to offend the stranger, who at least had shown some courtesy, the Haradan gestured to the other chairs at the table, and added: "But please, take a seat."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Fri Jun 22, 2001 8:19 am

"Thank you very much," Maradir said and sat down at the table. The dwarf followed his example. <BR>"I'm sorry, I almost forgot," Maradir added. "This is Libur from Khibîl-Gathol up in the Blue Mountains." The dwarf nodded towards the Southron who acknowledged the nod. <BR>"Might I now inquire your name?" Maradir ventured. "We might have a mutual acquaintance..."
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Khorazir » Fri Jun 22, 2001 8:31 am

"Of course", said the Haradan. "My name is Khorazîr son of Salkanthôr."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby RavenTinuviel » Fri Jun 22, 2001 10:54 am

The petite, dark-haired Gaelon sucked on her coffee as she watched Aveg pour and mix drinks and fill cups with tea and coffee. People were arriving and arising regular now, and it was getting busy. The weather was still rainy, and the wind blew the rain against the windows as the lake was covered in a grey mist, whitecaps blowing ashore. Gaelon saw Aveg's hand come by and he re-filled Gaelon's cup without her asking... he had gotten to know her by now as she been living in the Inn for some time. She would have liked more of his attention, but he was focused on that half-breed wench, slapping her on the rear as she passed.......<BR><BR>Gaelon thought back as she was lost for a moment in a daydream and a voice in her head spoke to her.....<BR>....'Ha! half breed! Such jealousy! And you think you are better?'<BR>gaelon thought of her mother, and the time when she wondered why they were alone without a father, and as she developed into a young woman she noticed she would be small, unlike the Dúnedain of her mother... and her mothers tears as she told her of the war, and the Easterling invasion, and her rape. The voice spoke to her again...<BR>'See! Your father was an Easterling soldier, pillaging the overrun ville Rhovanion. Your mother was there by accident, as it became too dificult to cross the Mistys then, so she stayed with a family the night they came out of the dark east. You are lucky to be alive Gaelon.'<BR><BR>She shook as Aveg tapped her cup with a knife, making a bell sound.<BR><BR><i>"You ok Gaelon?</i> he asked.<BR><BR><i>"Yes... fine... just thinking."</i> Gaelon said as she again had her cup refilled.
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby Arthedainian » Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:59 pm

Aveg felt extra relaxed today, and he made sure things were taken care of for the elf. As Alya walked back by he slapped her curvacious bottom and whispered for her to wake Sami early the next morning as he requested. Yes, Aveg seemed hardened, but it was a shell as he cared about all his patrons. He walked over and asked one who seemed secretive,<BR><BR><i>"More brandy for you?"</i><BR><BR>As he waited for the answer, he smiled at Alya as she continued to work at distributing drinks and breakfast to the patrons. He was happy he had found her. He had mustered out of the King's service and as he was on his way home to the Lake, he came across her along the South Road. Her sun-browned body caught him in its grips the first time he saw her. For he knew only of killing, and he wanted that to be behind him. So he offered her to come along with him, and well, she has been with him ever since.<BR><BR>He shook himself out of his thoughts and walked over the the dark-haired maiden studying many scrolls and maps. He asked her,<BR><BR><i>"may I ask what it is you study so, and would you like a refill on that drink?"</i><BR><BR>She looked up at him and nodded for the drink. Alya quickly served her some more coffee.<BR><BR>Aveg stepped over to a young and beautiful Elven lass who ordered chanpaign.<BR><BR><i>"Yes lady, I have a light red here, and it is yours. Thank you for coming to my Inn fair lady."</i><BR><BR>Setting a bottle of chanpaign and a glass in front of the young elven woman, Arveg smiled and gave Alya am arm as they went back to the bar.
Arthedainian
Ranger of the North

Postby Amarie » Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:38 pm

Looking up at him, she smiled. "You have a full house today, Aveg. Any more people and you'd have trouble." Her bright eyes were brimming with amusement at Gaelon and Alya. <BR><BR>She turned to Aveg again. "I study maps," she replied. That was all she would say as she fingered the five-rayed star on her chain. "Can I have a cup of your strongest coffee? I need a drink before I go to bed."<BR><BR>After Aveg had fetched her drink, she picked up all her papers and put them in her pack. She gave the room one searching glance before she went upstairs.<BR><BR>
Amarie
Mariner

Postby Arwen740 » Fri Jun 22, 2001 7:17 pm

Stepping lightly on delicate, brown feet, Alya gracefully swept up orders and retrieved cups. The silver amulet wrapped around her slender but muscular upper arm gleamed against her olive skin. She briefly flashed another smile at her love as she remembered the dance that had captured him on the white sands of a distant beach. <BR><BR>The caravan had been her home since birth. The kind mother who had picked the orphan child up as a babe, had raised her with her own small son, nursing them together as sister and brother. Alya had been told many times of the beautiful Northern woman who was dressed in ragged clothing, a prisoner of the Harad who was attacked beside the road and left to die. The baby daughter was found nearby in the tall grasses. It was distant legend to her as she had felt at home on the road all of her life, traveling and trading, dancing and exploring. But sometimes when she was alone, staring out at the horizon, she wondered about her birth-mother's people, who she was, where they came from.
Arwen740
Ranger of the North

Postby Idril » Fri Jun 22, 2001 7:55 pm

As Aveg had asked him if he would like a refill, he had said yes ... and to add some more bourbon to it would be nice also. He finally had stood and stretched his old creeky bones out for a bit and when he did he noticed both the wench and the owner eyeing him. Or was it the dark rich cloth underneath and the long white beard and hair that he had managed to conceal until now. His cloak had dried more and rather than having a damp cloak about him, seeping the wetness deeply into his bones, he had decided to stand and remove his cloak. <BR><BR>This revealed a marvelous deep purple robe, a color that only Kings wore or bestowed upon people. And he had on his hand a intricately designed ring with a opaque stone. The outer sleeves were long and flowing in one color and the inner sleeves were fitted of another color, a deep shade of burgandy, which lined the robe inside. <BR><BR>As he sat back down he thought to himself that he had announced his prescence to all but most would still not know him for what he was. He hoped to speak with the proprietor some to find out the news of the area and maybe even to get a room for to rest in as it had been a long, cold and wet journey for him.
Idril
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:21 am

As he told his name, Khorazîr studied the other closely. And yes, by his reaction, a slight, knowing smile, he apparently had heard it before. Khorazîr's dark eyes narrowed for an instant. He was not sure if he liked this. The events of the recent months had made him extremely cautious when confronted with strangers. But this one seemed open and friendly enough. Khorazîr remembered his last words. "You spoke of a possible mutual aquaintance," he said, studying Maradir with another keen glance. "May I inquire who this might be?"
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:27 am

"Faramir, the Steward of Gondor. I believe you carry his sword."<BR>Khorazîr's mien betrayed his surprise. <BR>"I received a letter from the Steward, telling me of your journey up into the North. So I came looking for you. I need your help."<BR>
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Khorazir » Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:58 am

It took Khorazîr indeed great effort to conceal his surprise. But he did breathe in sharply at the mentioning of the name, then let the air out slowly again, shook his head slightly and muttered under his breath: "The man seems to haunt me." The others were not sure if this was spoken in jest, or contempt, or if it was simply the statement of a fact.<BR><BR>Khorazîr looked at Maradir again. He did not like admitting it to himself, but things were going a little fast. First of all it seemed plain that this stranger knew a great deal about him. Certainly, he could have recognised the sword here and then, and then drawn his conclusions about his identity, but apparently he had been looking especially for him. And the Steward telling him of his own journey? Why should he do that? Why should he mention Khorazîr at all? Was this Maradir a friend of his? <BR><BR>Many more questions of this kind racing through his mind, Khorazîr cocked an eyebrow at Maradir, and said: "My help?"
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)