the Long Winter (Third Age 2758-2759)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Arthedain » Wed May 24, 2000 8:58 pm

<i>The fighting with the <b>Dunlandings</b> have not gone well, and the remnents of the <b>Rohirrim </b>had retreated into the strongholds in the <b>White Mountains</b>. In one stronghold hideout near <b>Dunharrow</b>, <b>Énora</b> was the only remaining member of her family, with her brothers being killed in the battle at <b>Edoras</b> earlier. He father and mother was captured, and he was hung upside down in the stables and was forced to watch while her mother was brutally raped and killed, and her body was sent into the hills on her horse with <b>Dunlandish</b> curses carved in her. Her fathers fate is unknown, but rumor had it that he died of a broken heart because he was helpless to defend his beloved. <BR>Yes, it was a dark time for <b>Rohan</b>. <b>Énora's</b> spirit was darkened some years before when the love of her life went into the wild and returned not. It is said he was buried near the <b>Bruinen River</b>, but she had not found it. Now at the sight of her mothers body riding in on her horse, <b>Énora's</b> heart grew hard and bitter, and she would at times sneak to the lowlands in stealth and kill an unsuspecting <b>Dunlander</b> in the night. She vowed in her heart to battle and kill all things evil as revenge of her mother, until she killed herself or was killed in battle. If it came down to it, she would not allow the fate of her mother happen to her. After that day, she talked little to anyone, and many thought her mind was gone. But it was instead consumed with hate. She would sit out in the cold wind and snow as if frozen and ponder her next move.<BR><BR>-<BR><BR><b>Énora</b> crept down into <b>Edoras</b> one night, as the weather broke and it was extremly cold and clear, with no moon. She found some of the food stores and loaded her pack, and was set to return, when she heard a sound and all went black.......<BR><BR>-<BR><BR>Waking from darkness, <b>Énora</b> found herself under a big brute of a <b>Dunlanding</b> who was trying to take advantage of her. He grabbed her long blonde hair and tried to kiss her, saying,</i><BR><BR>"You strawhead bich, yer gonna luv me long time."<BR><BR><i>She could not move under his weight so she feigned kissing him, then suddenly pulled the <b>Dunlanding's</b> knife from his nearby belt and thrust it deep into his kidney. He screamed in pain and hit <b>Énora</b> in the face before he slumped down dead. She struggled to get out from under him, and she was covered in his blood. But she gathered her things together and left the storeroom, and made her way back into the hills. A commotion was rising as the dead <b>Dunlanding</b> was discovered. She did what she could to cover her tracks in the snow.<BR><BR>-<BR><BR>Winding her way back into the stronghold before sunrise, <b>Énora</b> dropped the bag of food she had stolen near those by the fire. The women and children were grateful that they would have something to eat for another few days, and they thanked her for her bravery and kindness, but she said nothing. She went to the cistern and took water, and she laid down near the fire and was fast asleep.<BR><BR>-<BR><BR><b>Énora</b> was awakened by the sounds of battle. A troop of <b>Dunlandings</b> had searched and found their stronghold, and the sound of swords clashing could be heard. Two burst into where they were and <b>Énora</b> deflected a sword blow aimed at one of the other women. She yelled to the others,</i><BR><BR>"Fight! Fight to the death, for much worse awaits if you are captured!"<BR><BR><i>More <b>Dunlandings</b> came, and the women were no match for their strength. The children scattered out into the wilderness, and <b>Énora</b> and <b>Édeyn</b>, a beautiful young girl of 16 years, managed to escape into the wood, though the others were all killed. <b>Édeyn</b> had a shoulder wound from a sword blade, and was bleeding, and was leaving a crimson blood trail in the white snow, but there was no sign of pursuit. After trudging through the deep snow, they took refuge under some large trees where there was little snow, and they rested.</i>
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Thu May 25, 2000 8:15 pm

<b>Snowdog</b><BR><BR><i>Near the shoreline, <b>Arfazon</b> landed with his men and started inland to battle the small garrison of <b>Dol Amroth</b>. This would be the invasion that would overthrow <b>Gondor</b> and their strawhead minions of <b>Rohan</b>, for many ships were coming and would be landing all up and down the coast, near <b>Enedwaith</b> and <b>Anfalas</b> We had supported the <b>Dunlanding's</b> rape and pillaging of <b>Rohan</b> and we planned to do the same to <b>Gondor</b>.</i><BR>
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Snowdog » Sat May 27, 2000 4:03 pm

<i><b>Darzonan</b>, a captain of Umbar, and his men run off the ships and immediatly start fighting the small Gondorian guard in Anfalas. Where a fight is put up, all is destroyed. The people flee to the White mountains, and little help is coming from Minas Tirth, for the Orcs were attacking there and into Rohan. It was dark days for Gondor and Rohan.<BR><BR>Meanwhile, in Rohan...<BR><BR>Garash, found his brother slain in a stable near Edoras. In anger, he and some of his men took leave of Wulf, and went into the hills in search of his slayer.</i>
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Arthedain » Tue May 30, 2000 12:28 pm

<b>Énora and Édeyn</b> slept long under the trees, trying to keep each other warm. With a start, <b>Énora and Édeyn</b> both had blades at their necks. They looked up and saw that several boys, about 12 of them from age 8 to maybe 11, had discovered them sleeping and, seeing that they were <b>Rohanian</b>, brought thm to a cave that was hard to access, but was well warmed by a fire in the back. They had what seemed as plenty of food stored also. One of the boys, not the biggest or oldest, but seemed to act as leader of the group was named <b>Eldain</b>, and he said,<BR><BR>"<i>Ladies, I see you have been striken with hard times. We hid here with my father when the <b>Dunlandings</b> invaded. We had much cached here as we used this place as a base when we would come hunting. You need healing and rest, and here you will have it. No Dunlanding has found this place, and those who ventured up this far have never returned.</i>"<BR><BR>...as he felt the sharpness of his short broadswoard's edge. Énora saw the youngest, and realized it was not a boy, but a girl. Eldain saw her gaze, and said,<BR><BR>"<i>She has 5 kills, two being her mother's attackers. Her father rode off to war last year and returned not.</i>"<BR><BR><b>Énora</b> slipped into the memory of her own mother, and held out her hands to the young girl, but she would not come to her. <b>Énora</b> said,<BR><BR>"<i>Such are the tales of these times. I cry at the fact that she came to know of death and killing at such a young age. What is your name?</i>"<BR><BR>The little girl replied quietly,"<i><b>Édowyn</b></i>".<BR><BR>Right then, <b>Édeyn</b> screamed as one of the boys, put a healing herb powder on her sword wound. The boy was a son of a healer, who studied in the healing house of <b>Gondor</b>, and the boy knew much for his age.<BR><BR>They all rested, and the boys posted a guard at strategic places so they could see the approaches.
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arthedain » Wed May 31, 2000 5:44 pm

A sound of voices was heard by <b>Énora</b> as she slept. She got up and drew her sword, for her and <b>Édeyn</b> were alone in the hideout cave. In came 6 young men of <b>Rohan</b> with <b>Eldain</b>, and <b>Édeyn</b> saw her brother, <b>Édeor</b> leading them. She was overjoyed to see him, as she thought he too was lost in the battle of <b>Isen</b>. <b>Énora</b> withdrew by herself and only listened to the others talk. She was happy the <b>Édeyn</b> found one of her kin, but was saddened for she had no family alive. She sat and wept.
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Wed May 31, 2000 5:56 pm

<i>The landing in <b>Dol Amroth</b> had not gone as well as <b>Anfalas</b> and farther north. The Lord of <b>Dol Amroth</b> had a small but gallent force of men to meet them on the beach, and heavy were the losses of <b>Umbar</b>. But Dol Amroth's force was too small to prevent the landing and they had to retreat ere nightfall or risk losing too many men. The kept vigilant watch on the approaches off the beach, and and the forces of Umbar dared not try forcing the way because of their high losses upon landing.</i>
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Arthedain » Thu Jun 01, 2000 8:51 am

<b>Énora</b> slipped into a daydream as the others talked. She could see an old Oak tree with carving on it. It was an Elven script, which she had never seen, but she was able to read it in her mind....<BR><BR><i>...Here, Arveg, son of Ardain, Loyal Guardsman to King Ahmien Mendereth, sleeps eternally. His spirit goes to Ilúvatar, and his love goes to Énora...</i><BR><BR>She jumped awake crying,<BR><BR>"<i>He's Dead too!</i>"<BR><BR>and she ran past everyone and ran from the cave....
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Thu Jun 01, 2000 4:37 pm

The landing at the mouth of Isen went well, and the Dunlandings welcomed the Corsairs and Southrons as allies. they began attacking Helm near the mountains.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Arthedain » Sat Jun 03, 2000 7:38 am

<b>Énora</b> found a horse lost in the wood and its bridal was caught on some branches. It was blood stained, and <b>Énora</b> assumed its rider had been a casualty in the battles, and the horse wandered her. She mounted it and they rode off tho the north and east, avoiding the Dunlandings as the camped and tried to stay warm.
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arthedain » Mon Jun 05, 2000 11:04 am

<b>Enora</b> broke into the fields as a snowstorm rolled in concealing her moves, she made for <b>Fangorn Forest</b> across the frozen steppe....
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Wed Jun 07, 2000 6:08 am

Reinforced by some from <b>Minas Tirth</b>, The Lord of <b>Dol Amroth</b> attacked the <b>Corsair's</b> beachhead, and defeated them utterly, and destroyed their ship. They then moved to reinforce the line on the river <b>Ringold-Morthund</b> as far as <b>Erech</b>, and aid the small force of <b>Lamedon</b> that was fighting there.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Snowdog » Sat Jun 10, 2000 9:59 am

As Enora rode across the plains toward Fangorn, she came across a body of a man. He was pale and covered with frost. She stopper her horse and went to him. There was slight steam coming from his open mouth, but he was cold to the touch. <BR> <BR><i>"He is alive!"</i> <BR> <BR>She bundled him up and got him up on her horse, and she got up behind him and she rode on, and came to the edge of the Fangorn Forest.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Arthedain » Mon Jun 12, 2000 10:09 am

Coming under the edge of the errie trees, Énora took the near frozen man from her horse, and the horse lay under the trees out of the snow, and Énora held the man near the horse, and lay with him to warm him from death.
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Mon Jun 12, 2000 2:35 pm

In the darkness, the man stirred. Énora woke and tried to calm him. She asked what his name was, and he replied <BR> <BR><i>"Aromir of Gondor. Orcs dragged me across the field after killing all in my company, my wife and child. I fought them and they tried to drag me to death. Their grip failed and they left me. I thank thee Lady for your kindness."</i> <BR> <BR>And he went again to sleep, and Énora did also.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Arthedain » Tue Jun 13, 2000 7:18 pm

Énora woke wrapped up around Aromir, and the horse was starting to move, so she got up and Aromir woke also. He sain with a shiver, <BR> <BR><i>"I have not to eat, and I burdun you of yours. You should have left me to die for I have nothing left to live for." <BR> <BR>"Nonsense"</i> cried Énora, <i>"There is always something to live for, if to just get revenge on the ones that did you wrong."</i> <BR> <BR>Aromir thought of this, and fell asleep again. Énora lifted the man up on her horse, and she led them deeper into Fangorn.
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Wed Jun 14, 2000 11:06 am

As the two went into the forest, an errieness came over Énora, and she became disorientated. She followed what appeared as a trail, but there were no footsteps in the snow. The sounds of birds echoed around her as she went, and soon other sounds were heard...growing louder...It became so unbearable to Enora that she stopped and grasped her ears, and screamed....and remembered no more as she faints into a dreamworld. There she meets Aromir, and they are in a warm place. there is drink that warms the inside, and they are comfortable. Soon they are asleep........
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Arthedain » Fri Jun 16, 2000 10:10 am

<i>In Aromir's mind:</i> <BR> <BR>The dreamworld was strange, and Aromir thought he had finally died. But the woman, Énora was there also....did they freeze to death atthe edge of the wood? No, this is different... <BR> <BR><i>In Fangorn where Aromir and Énora were:</i> <BR> <BR>Longroot found the two humans and a horse freezing in the latest round of snow. His bark was thin and wasn't himself used to the unusual cold of this fall. He carried them to a thick bush covered cavelet in some rocks, and pushed leaves around them where the were laid. Quickbeam was visiting Longroot, and he left to tell Treebeard and the otherof the visitors of Fangorn.
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Mon Jun 19, 2000 8:38 pm

Aromir felt warm for a change. He couldn't remember when he felt warm last. yes...it was the last night he was with his wife. he started wo wake, and saw teh unfamiliar place they were at. Énora was asleep soundly beside him, but the horse was gone. The only sound was that of the wind blowing and teh leaves rustling in the cavelet. some snow blew in through the brush that was quickly losing all its leaves in the icy wind. He shivered, and again laid close to Énora and pushed more leaves up around them.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Snowdog » Thu Jun 22, 2000 11:01 pm

Longroot returned to the cavelet, and saw that Arimor was awake. He was startled at the movement of the Ent, and tried to find his sword, buthe was too weak. Arimor said loudly, "So the myths of the Fangorn are true! Have mercy on us !" <BR> <BR>Longroot heard the strange speech and all he could do was let out a loud "HMMM", and he went and stood by the opening. <BR> <BR>Enora awoke and was groggy, but asked what the sound was that she thought she heard. Arimor tried to explain, but finally said, "look out there." <BR> <BR>Enora crawled over and looked around. and she saw trees, but nothing else. She thought Arimor was still drugged on Orc swill and hallucinating. She did wonder how they got there and where her horse was.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Snowdog » Sat Jun 24, 2000 11:03 pm

Enora's horse was close to Longroot, and was comforted by the presence of the Ent. Enora crawled out from the brush an dsaw her horse, and she went to him.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Arthedain » Mon Jun 26, 2000 1:03 pm

The wind was cold, but the snow had stopped, for now at any rate. Énora looked over the horse and could see it suffered some from frostbite on the hooves. She tried to get her to lay down on them in a gathering of leaves near a large evergreen tree, but the horse was reluctant. She tied the horse loosly to the tree and went back through the brush into the cavelet. She had no idea why she came here, she wasnt even sure where she was. They came to Fangorn...thats right...the mysteries there would offer some protection she thought from roving Dunlandings and also Orcs from the North. But the tales that ones who enter Fangorn never return, was unsettling, but who would miss her? All she cared for were gone....
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Wed Jun 28, 2000 7:49 am

Meanwhile....on the beaches of Gondor: <BR> <BR>The Corsairs of Umbar were not making much headway on Dol Amroth, and were having little more sucesses in Anfalas. But the Landings at the River Isen wendt off well, and with the support of friendly Dunlandings, they were able to make good progress toward the strongholds of Rohan. Rohans strength faltered, and they retreated into Helms Deep on their northwestern front. Meanwhile, Orcs attacked out of the southern Misty Mountains, and what little strength Rohan had in the east fell back to the White mountains. There seemed to be some that fought underground around Isengard, but they were secertive, and not much is known of them. Rohand main winter camp was at Dunharrow and Helms Deep. It was questioned whether the Rohirrim would survive the dual onslaught of the Dunlanding/Umbar assault and the extremely cold weather that had gripped the lands north of the White Mountains. It was only November, and the snow drifted inthe wind acros the plains of Rohan. WHat would the winter bring?
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Anriel Mendereth » Mon Jul 03, 2000 3:55 am

As enora slipped back into sleep, she cught sight of a pair of eyes looking at them through the undergrowth. She blinked and sat up, but the eyes were no longer there, and though she went and quietly searched she found no sign that anyone was there and was forced to admit that she must have been dreaming...
Anriel Mendereth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arthedain » Mon Jul 03, 2000 12:59 pm

Énora came back to the cavelet where Aromir was sitting in thought. She said, "I must be really going insane. I swear someone was watching me, but I looked, and could not find anyone or thing. The snow seemed to have had some tracks, but it was hard to tell with the wind blowing the snow around." Aromir looked up and was in grief. He was in thought of his massacred family. Énora went and sat and comforted the grieved man the best she could.<BR><BR><i>(ooc: welcome Anriel! I look forward to your contributions to this thread.)</i>
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Anriel Mendereth » Tue Jul 04, 2000 2:43 am

(ooc - thanks Arthedain!)<BR><BR>She lay on a branch just outside the cavelet and watched the intruders closely. They had not yet given any indication that they were dangerous, but when they did the others would arrive. For the moment though, she was simply content to watch them. Outsiders had always interested her, and now two were in her possession. A man and a woman. neither one immortal. Te immortals were allowed to escape from the forest, but they were not to see who allowed them to do so.<BR>The two retreated a little farther into the cave, and her view was obscured. Moving silently round to the back of the tree, she dropped silently to the ground, the brown of her skin fading to a bright white that matched the snow, and she crept closer.
Anriel Mendereth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arthedain » Mon Jul 10, 2000 5:46 pm

Aromir was freezing, and sweating at the same time. He was shaking and slipping in and out of consciencesness, and here was nothing for Énora to do, except to try and keep him warm. They laid ther and the combined body heat warmed them both, and Aromir seemed to relax. Énora dozed off with the heat and remembered how it felt to be in a mans arms who wasn't trying to hurt her.
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Tue Jul 11, 2000 12:24 pm

<b>Aromir</b> in his fever was lost in his mind. He held close to <b>Énora</b> as the scent of her hair was similar to that of his deceased wife. He fell into a deep sleep and visions of happier days floated through his head.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Anriel Mendereth » Tue Jul 11, 2000 12:42 pm

As the two mortals fell asleep, her daring increased and she crept forward, right into the cave. Her curiosity got the better of her and she moved forward until she was looking into both their faces. She had never been this close to any other race, save the Ents, and her willpower fading she reached out and touched Enora's face as light as a feather.<BR>Unfortuantel, Enora was a light sleeper, and she immediately woke and sitting bolt upright, caught cold of her wrist. The dryad immediately faded to the grey colour of the cave, but it was no use. She was caught and was not aware of how to deal with this situation. he felt sure she would die as she stared into the woman's face.
Anriel Mendereth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arthedain » Sun Jul 16, 2000 1:07 am

"Who are you and why are you spying on us? You are strange, and this wood is filled with tales of strange comings and goings."<BR><BR>Énora was a bit frightened as she knew it would be a risk coming into Fangorn, but it seemed a sanctuary from the Easterlings and Dunlandings that were roaming over the land of Rohan. <BR><BR>Énora wzs not sure whether to let go or kill this stranger.
Arthedain
Rider of the Mark

Postby Anriel Mendereth » Sun Jul 16, 2000 9:57 am

When the creature realised that camoflage was not going to help her, she moved to a more comfortable colour of green. The woman seemed startled by the change in her skin colour.<BR>"I am Shaoth, a dryad, and as long as you prove no threat to the trees here, you shall not be harmed."<BR>"A dryad?" asked Enora. "What's that?"<BR>"I should not tell you, for none who see us live to tell, but i see deeper than many, and I believe you to be honest and good. it is said that those who come into Fangorn never come out again. Those who give any sign of danger, or damage the wildlife here in any way are taken by the dryads. We are the dreams of trees that exit to take the nightmares away. we sing the trees to sleep, and bring each season to the forest. But now I have told you all this, you must leave, without touchin any tree or plant, or the rest of my people will arrive, and then you will never leave Fangorn again, and will remain here for eternity. only the immortals are allowed to pass the borders of the trees withou being watched, but I will let you pass. come with me, if you will. I will lead you to the forest edge."
Anriel Mendereth
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)