BELERIAND

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Amarie » Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:08 pm

All was still in the pine-laden forests of Dorthonion except for the occasional flutter of wings overhead and the slight rustling of the leaves. It was a beautiful night. The stars decorated the dark sky with their glittering splendor; the wind blew through the land with a soothing calm; the earth murmured with a contented sigh. Indeed, all was well in Beleriand. The hard-earned victory in the Dagor Aglareb had given its people a temporary respite from the evil terror of Morgoth. Almost three hundred years had passed and the Siege of Angband seemed secure. <BR><BR>Amidst the darkness, a silver-haired elf came riding from the green plains of Ard-galen. He was Ehtur, captain of the Guard and loyal servant to the House of Finarfin. He came singing for he was to be with his family again. He smiled, thinking of his wife and his children. It was almost dawn and soon, the sun would rise over Dorthonion and over the other realms of Beleriand.
Amarie
Mariner

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:28 pm

disregard this
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:56 pm

(Celebrimbor, see the thread titled "Sil lovers, any ideas for an RP set in the 1st age".)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:03 am

As the sun rose over Ered Luin far in the East, her first golden beams filtering down amid the dark trunks of the pine-trees fell yet upon another rider. Seen from afar he appeared no more than a wisp of mist among the trees, for his horse was grey, as were his garments: a long cloak of soft, flowing cloth, hiding a knee-long shirt of light chainmail as well as a grey, plain tunic and trowsers. He was armed with a longbow of black yew-wood, a quiver of grey-feathered arrows, and a simple, unadorned sword. His horse was equipped as for a longer journey.<BR>The rider's face was covered by the cloak's hood against the cool nightair. But when he had reached a ridge where the trees stood less dense, and the first beams of sunlight touched the ground, he halted to have a look around, and cast back the hood to let the sun shine on his face: it was neither old nor young - as is it common with the Eldar, but a little stern, the pale skin contrasting with his dark hair. He studied his surroundings with keen grey eyes. Suddenly the sound of faint singing came to his ears, and he listened attentively to determine the direction of the clear voice wandering in merry song. Judged by his fair voice, and the tongue he was using, the singer was of Elven-kind as well. Curious to see who journeyed in this land, the grey horseman rode on descending a slope, following the voice of the singer.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby skrewball » Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:10 am

(ooc-where should i begin the fleeing to mordor. what have i stolen.)
skrewball
Ranger of the North

Postby asaris » Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:02 am

As the sun rose over the hills, a tall elf dismounted from his horse, kneeling close to the ground as if he was looking for something. He cupped a bit in his hand, and smelled it. "The orcs have been here," he muttered inaudibly to himself. Leading his horse by the bridle, he carefully began to follow the trail. It was not hard -- Curufë had been hunting for millenia, and orcs were not difficult to track. But as he tracked, he heard singing in the distance. The hunter followed the singing, his horse closely behind him. He saw two elves ahead of him, and hailed them.
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:21 am

The rider in grey had almost reached the singer, who must have heard his horse, for he had stopped singing and halted in the midst of the clearing he had been passing, and looked in his direction. The rider descended a low bank and came out of the trees. He was just about to address the elf, when he became aware of movement amid the trees on the other side of the clearing. He tensed, straining his eyes. A figure stepped out of the forest, leading his horse behind. The grey rider relaxed as he recognised him as yet another elf, who raised his hand and hailed the two of them. They returned the greeting, and rode towards the newcomer.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby asaris » Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:53 pm

"Hail!" Curufë called out in Quenya. "What brings two Eldar to these woods? They are dangerous; there is a band of orcs about."
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby Amarie » Thu Aug 30, 2001 10:02 pm

"Orcs?" Ehtur replied in Sindarin. His face showed disbelief and astonishment. "You are mistaken. There have been no sightings in Dorthonion. The watch may have been not as strict as once was, but certainly not ceasing." He rode a few feet away from the two elves then whistled. In the distance, two other elves sprung from one of the tallest trees and headed towards them. <BR><BR>Ehtur then rode back towards the two. He turned to the elf who spoke in the ancient Tongue. "I am Ehtur, captain of the Guard. I have just returned with my party from Ard-Galen and we have had no sightings of the foul creatures. I am almost certain there were none here, too."
Amarie
Mariner

Postby Khorazir » Fri Aug 31, 2001 4:33 am

"But there were on our northern borders, not long ago," the grey-clad Elf said. He spoke Sindarin, of the mode as it was used in Doriath, which sounded a little strange and old-fashioned to the ears of the other two. "I am march-warden of King Thingol of Doriath, Faeneldor is my name. About a month ago we heard that a band of orcs had come down the Ered Gorgoroth, and tried to pass into the Guarded Realm. We managed to fend them off, but some fled again northwards. A strange thing we deemed it, for long we had lived untroubled by these foul creatures. Now my Lord is indeed alarmed, and has sent me with a message to Angrod and Aegnor in the North, to inquire if their borders have been tried as well. We do not doubt their vigilance, but it seems that lately the power of the Dark Lord waxes again, and more and more evil creatures pour into Beleriand from the North. And now you say that you have indeed found orc-traces in these woods? This is evil tidings. What know you of their number, and their purpose? Wither are they bound?"
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby asaris » Fri Aug 31, 2001 7:17 pm

"Yes, indeed there are." Curufë said, this time speaking in a somewhat heavily accented Sindarin, as if it were a tongue he was unused to speaking. "I, Lord Curufë, have been tracking a band of orcs for about a week now. They stole something from my lord Celegorm, and as I am captain of the his guard, and the best tracker in Beleriand next to him, I was sent to retrieve it. They do not seem to be a large party, and I hope to catch them before they reach others of their kind and increase their numbers. Your help would be appreciated, but it is not necessary." He looked at the two Sindar, awaiting a response.
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Sat Sep 01, 2001 5:33 am

Faeneldor's face had darkened a little at the mentioning of the name of Celegorm. He frowned slightly at Curufë, especially when he claimed to be the best tracker in Beleriand. But he refrained from voicing the sharp comment that lay on his tongue. <BR>"If it were not for the orcs, I should say that the matters of Lord Celegorm do not concern me or my errand," he said a little coolly, while trying not to sound too haughtily. "But as things stand, I think you could use any help you can get, <i>Lord</i> Curufë. Even the best hunter cannot take on a whole company of orcs single-handedly - should those you were tracking indeed join forces with others of their kin. Also, and I will not deny this, I am greatly interested in learning more about their number and purpose. What is it they stole from your master?"
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Amarie » Sat Sep 01, 2001 7:53 pm

Ehtur held back a harsh reply. Curufë was beginning to annoy him and the fact that he served Celegorm irked him even more. Bitter was the hatred that Ehtur held for the House of Feanor and only great love for the sons of Finarfin was keeping him from losing his temper. "If what you claim is true, you are gravely mistaken in thinking that our help is not necessary. You will find no other elf who knows this area as much as our guards. If you do indeed need help, I must speak of this to Lord Angrod and Lord Aegnor." <BR><BR>The two elves he had whistled to earlier had now joined them. One of them spoke, paying no heed to the newcomers. "Mardil had seen a small band of orcs travelling through our borders, Ehtur. We chased after them but they managed to elude us." The elf paused. "We were thinking that perhaps you should leave the border watch to the more competent." He bowed slightly, evidently embarassed by their failure.<BR><BR>Ehtur's face was grave. "Our vigilance is not as it once was. Yet it is not faltering as well. I have no doubt, Meldon that you did all you could." He turned to Curufë. "This is troubling. However, you must tell us all you know for I must relate this to Lords Angrod and Aegnor." <BR><BR>(ooc-Ehtur is not a Sindar, by the way. He just chooses to speak Sindarin.)
Amarie
Mariner

Postby Khorazir » Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:11 am

Faeneldor nodded in agreement. He had noticed that Ehtur, although a Noldo, seemed not friendly with Curufë and the House of Feanor either, and Faeneldor could understand this attidute only to well, feeling likewise. Nevertheless he also knew that in a case like this old resentments had to be put aside, hard though it be. Strife among the Quendi would mean playing into the hands of the Dark Lord.<BR>"I must see the lords as well, for my errand was to bring them a message from the King," Faeneldor said. "But first we should find out more about these orcs and their purpose. What else know you about them? What is it they took?" he asked Curufë.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby asaris » Sun Sep 02, 2001 1:23 pm

"It was a kidnapping; one of the ladies of our court was out riding, when the orcs must have happened upon her. It is not a large group of orcs -- perhaps five or ten at the most. Else more elves would have been sent with me. But time is of the essence; as much as aid from Angrod and Aegnor would be helpful, I cannot spare the time to visit them now. The orcs must be stopped before they can reach Ard-Galen, and they are still about a day ahead of me."
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Sun Sep 02, 2001 1:34 pm

Faeneldor's face had turned grave at Curufë's words. He would not have cared had the orcs stolen a treasure from Celegorm, but an abduction was another thing. There were rumours enough of what orcs were wont to do with prisoners, and more than once Faeneldor had found captives cruelly tortured and slain when hunting orcs on the borders of Doriath. "You are right, Curufë", he said. "There is no time to lose. I am willing to help you. I think my lord will forgive me when I set his errand aside to attend to a more pressing matter. Or perhaps one of your people can take my message to the sons of Finarfin," he added, turning to Ehtur.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Amarie » Sun Sep 02, 2001 7:41 pm

Upon hearing Curufë's words, Ehtur spoke to Meldon. "Tell the Lords of everything you have heard here. I must accompany them on their chase. Time is against us and we must retrieve the maiden before anything horrible happens to her." He paused. "Please stop by my house, too and inform Narellë that important matters call on me. Otherwise, nothing would have kept me away." Meldon bowed slightly and left with his companion. Ehtur turned to Faeneldor and Curufë. "I shall go with you although I must tell you that much of this affair baffles me. Nevertheless, we should depart now."<BR>
Amarie
Mariner

Postby Khorazir » Mon Sep 03, 2001 1:05 am

Faeneldor had handed a sealed letter to Meldon, and described to him shortly what his message consisted of, and that he should tell Angrod and Aegnor Faeneldor would try and see them later, to perhaps take their answer back to King Thingol. Then he turned again to the other two. "Let us ride then. I deem it best if you led us, Curufë, since you were on their trail already."<BR>
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby asaris » Mon Sep 03, 2001 7:48 am

"Follow me. The trail is just a little bit this way," Curufë said, leading his horse back down the trail. He explained how he thought that the orcs were headed northwest, towards Serech, but he wanted to follow them carefully for a little bit to be sure. "Post-noon we should begin riding again."
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:44 am

Faeneldor looked with disgust at the footprints heavy iron-shot shoes had left on the needle-covered ground. "No other folk makes such a trampling," he said comtemptously. "And no other folk delights in hewing and slaying everything that lives. Look what they have done to this small pine-tree over there." He shook his head sadly, for he loved trees dearly. But at the same time he felt a surge of hatred towards the foul orcs, as was usual with him when he saw the evils they had wrought.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Amarie » Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:08 am

Ehtur was silent. Like Faeneldor, he was disgusted by the reprehensible disregard the orcs had for all living creatures. He looked back longingly towards the pine trees of Dorthonion. There, Meldon would tell Narellë that he wouldn't be coming home. Sighing, he forced himself to face north. From afar, he could see the river Rivil lazily following its course. To his left, the great Sirion separated their land from Mithrim and Ered Wethrin. <BR><BR>"They would not have gone east, of that I am certain," he said to Curufë. "They would have to deal with our sentries if they did." Seeing that the elf paid no attention to him, he turned to Faeneldor. "Doriath must be enchanting. I have heard tales about Menegroth and the beech-trees of Neldoreth." Ehtur knew that he was engaging in idle talk when a maiden could be in danger but he could not help himself. His nature included a great love of forests. It was the main reason why he had chosen to dwell in Dorthonion, instead of Nargothrond with Finrod.
Amarie
Mariner

Postby Khorazir » Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:05 am

"Aye, 'tis a beautiful realm," Faeneldor said. "Of the wonders of Menegroth I myself have seen little, I must admit, for I go there seldom, and only on pressing errands. But to describe the many-pillared halls in all their splendour my words would not suffice anyway. You need a poet, or a minstrel like the renowned Daeron to do them justice. For myself, I delight more in forests and woodlands. Neldoreth in particular is beloved to me, for I have always felt greatest admiration for the beech-trees of that part of our realm - thence my name. My mother had much insight into my character there." He smiled. "Unfortunately I was not granted to spend much time under my beloved beeches of late. My charge is the eastern part of the north-march, the lands east of Esgalduin, and as I have mentioned, trouble has increased upon our borders." He sighed. "And it seems to be only part of the trouble all realms face. I doubt that the Siege of Angband will last much longer. The Dark Lord has been silent too long."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby asaris » Tue Sep 04, 2001 2:13 pm

Curufë remained silent, deep in thought and contemplation. It was true that these woods, and those of Doriath, were beautiful, but they could not compare to those of Valinor, in which he used to hunt so long ago, alongside Celegorm and Oromë. He almost mentioned them, but thought it the course of wisdom to hold his tongue. Instead, he said, "We should mount now, and ride at a steady trot. I do not think we'll lose their path, and speed is of the essence."
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby Amarie » Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:56 pm

Unknown to Curufë, Ehtur had been thinking of the forests in Valinor. He wasn't a hunter but he spent many days wandering about. He had been thoroughly delighted when he had come across Oromë and Nahar one day. As the elf mounted his horse, his thoughts shifted to the orcs. He was troubled at the possibility that the orcs would have probably crossed paths with the sentries who guarded the west part of the Rivil that led to Serech.
Amarie
Mariner

Postby Khorazir » Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:17 am

Faeneldor mounted also, and followed the other two. Curufë was right: the trail was hard to miss, and thus they were able to ride speedily, as swiftly as the rugged countryside allowed. After about two hours ride, on which not many words had passed since everybody seemed lost in his own contemplations, they drew near a small clearing. Birches grew here instead of pines, their white stems glinting in the bright sunlight, and their many leaves rustling merrily in the gentle breeze. But as the riders approached, they could see that two of the slender trees had been hewn with crude axe-strokes, not long ago. Their leaves were still green upon them. The soft grass was trampled and at one place slightly burned. <BR>Faeneldor looked around in disgust. "This looks to have been their camp," he said, with a mournful glance at the two hewn birches. "But it seems as if they were more than only five or ten, as you said, Curufë. Perhaps they have already met and joined with another company." He dismounted to study the ground more closely.
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby asaris » Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:06 am

Curufë walked around the campsite, looking carefully at the destruction the orcs had wrought. Such wanton violence turned his stomach -- it was one thing to cut down a tree in need, but just for some sick pleasure? It was disgusting. Looking near the hewn trees, he saw something that caught his eye. "Wolf tracks. They must have met up with a group of wargs."
asaris
Ranger of the North

Postby Khorazir » Wed Sep 05, 2001 10:47 am

"And the wargs were many," Faeneldor said gloomily, studying the traces of the animals at one edge of the clearing. "Some of their footprints are deeper than the others. Most likely they were burdened with a rider." He looked at the others. "This is evil," he said gravely. "It greatly increases the speed the company can travel, and wolves are better suited for these dense woodlands than are our horses. Time is pressing indeed, if we want to catch them still. Have you found where they have left the clearing again? If so, were it all who met here, or did you find traces leading away in other directions? We must make sure that we follow the right company, should they have split up again."
Khorazir
Ranger of the North

Postby Amarie » Wed Sep 05, 2001 3:36 pm

"Wargs," muttered Ehtur disgustedly. He had seen them cross the plain of Ard-galen occasionally. They were fierce and cruel enemies. Many of the guards had been slain by them. He dismounted and studied the tracks. They mostly led north. The soil to their left was untouched.
Amarie
Mariner

Postby Elemmire » Wed Sep 05, 2001 6:37 pm

A small group of scouts waited patiently in the northern eaves of Dorthonion. It had become known that a band of orcs may have passed this way not long ago, heading south. If that was true, and if they managed to return out of Beleriand alive, they would not find the unceasing vigilance kept over Ard-galen so easy to pass a second time.
Elemmire
Rider of the Mark

Postby Nilson_The_White » Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:22 pm

A white figure sped upon horse from Menegroth. The trusted and loyal advisor of King Thingol and Melian had been sent to find Faeneldor, March Warden of Thingol. He was travelling at tremendous speed through Doriath. He was travelling North, as that was where Faeneldor was heading to deliver a message to Aegnor, and Angrod.<BR><BR>He was Nilson... Loremaster and Advisor of King Thingol. He was robed in White with a Grey Cape. He was upon his brown horse, Alvorn. <BR>The trees passed swiftly. He was in need of great haste, for he had a message of his own to deliver.
Nilson_The_White
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)