Recruiting Station

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby theblack » Tue Aug 08, 2000 1:53 pm

Into the crowded inn strode <b>Telmar the Black</b>, it wasn't the sort of place he normally frequented but tonite it was necessary. As he walked towards the bar he flung out his arms and an almighty thunderclap sounded.<BR><b>BOOM</b><BR>Every person inn the inn turned to look at him in absolute silence.<BR>"OK," he said, "that’s got your attention. If you'll be so kind as to hear me out I believe I have a proposition that may interest some of you. I'm looking for four good warriors to accompany me on a quest."<BR>At this the assembled crowd let out a low murmur.<BR>"No," he continued, "I'm not mad or anything like that. I know it may seem a little odd that I've come to a place like this to recruit a party to accompany me on such a quest but I have my reasons. Do not worry, all will be made clear shortly."<BR>As the mage settled himself down onto a barstool he could see that the crowd was beginning to get restless.<BR>"Alright then," he said, "The reason I've come to this place to recruit for my quest is that I heard rumours that the regular customers who frequent this place are the toughest in all of ME. I'm going to need some really tough people to accompany me on this quest if we are going to succeed."<BR>"what's the quest for?" came the cry from a anonymous person at the back of the room.<BR>"Ahh, settle down and I'll explain." came his reply.<BR>"You said that before!" came the voice again.<BR>"Ok, shut up and I'll tell you. The mission I plan to undertake is to retrieve a stolen artefact for the dwarf king. The reason I'm going to try and do this is that he has promised a huge reward of gold and mithril to the person who recovers his lost item."<BR>Now the crowd seemed a little more interested in what he had to say. A Reward!<BR>"What's he lost?" called out one of the crowd.<BR>"<b>His Ring</b>" replied <b>Telmar</b>.<BR>A gasp rang out across the crowded room. No, he couldn't mean <i>that</i> ring. Did he?<BR>"The ring was taken from his ancestors in the dungeons of Dol Guldur by Sauron in his previous guise. He has spent the past decade using all the mages he can find to try and locate the ring so the dwarves can be restored to their former glory. In this past month it has been located still within the bowels of Dol Guldur still within it's deepest dungeons. The dwarf king has sent twenty of his best men to find his most prized possession. However the way will be fraught with peril so I have come here, to this godforsaken place in the hope that some of you have the courage and the strength of will to accompany me on this quest. If any of you are brave enough or foolish enough to believe you have got what it takes to earn the reward then you may come over to me and be tested. Do not come to me if you lack courage or skill for you will not survive the testing. Does anyone have the courage to approach me?"<BR>The crowd let out a low buzz as people decided what to do. Then all of a sudden there was a commotion at one of the table's. Someone was coming to be tested!
User avatar
theblack
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:23 am
Top

Postby trampiaton » Tue Aug 08, 2000 2:07 pm

"I'll be tested," said a dark-skinned barbarian type warrior as he rose from the crowd, "I know I'm a double 'ard bunnyslipper so I'm not worried in the slightest."<BR>As he reached forward to touch the mages hand he was trembling slightly, "Is this likely to kill me?" he asked in a low whisper.<BR>"Hopefully not!" replied the mage with a wink.<BR>As Trampiaton took the mages hand in his own he recoiled screaming, "What the f**k was that!"<BR>"Don't worry it's worse at the start" said Telmar as he grabbed the barbarians arm and muttered arcane words.<BR>Trampiaton screamed in agony and fell to the floor, after a few seconds he suddenly stopped screaming and sat up straight.<BR>"Oh, my God!" he said, "I could see all the way into the depths of my own soul."<BR>
User avatar
trampiaton
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 4:00 am
Top

Postby theblack » Tue Aug 08, 2000 2:13 pm

"And you were not consumed by it. Congratulations, you've passed the test. Have a seat."<BR>The wizard pulled out a chair for Trampiaton and ordered him a beer.<BR>"As for the rest of you ," he said, "Don't think it's going to be that easy. This man had already proven his courage by standing up when no one else did so all I had to do was test his integrity. For the rest of you it will be even harder!"<BR>He sat back down in his chair and started to discuss the quest with the barbarian while they waited for anyone else to come forward.
User avatar
theblack
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:23 am
Top

Postby Tempest » Tue Aug 08, 2000 5:32 pm

"Come, it can not be that terrible. I, too, wish to accompany you on this mission." The crowd turned to see a fair-haired women dressed in a warrior's garb. There was a black cloak on her back and a longsword at her side. She stepped up to the mage and stared at him with her dark eyes. <BR><BR>"I have been traveling since the fall of Sauron, picking up jobs wherever I am. I have a, let's say, personal interest in looking in dark places for such a treasure. For you see, I have walked the courts of Sauron. I could be of much help to you." <BR>
User avatar
Tempest
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:12 am
Location: Wandering in the wilds
Top

Postby Caranthir » Tue Aug 08, 2000 10:12 pm

From a seat across the room, a thin (but not skinny) hooded man rose up.<BR><BR>"Whatever your quest may be, I volunteer myself. I am afraid I may be not of much use, but I have heard many stories of far-away lands and peoples, and must experience them myself. For as inexperienced as I am, my heart yearns for adventure." As he walked towards the others, he removed his hood, revealing a proud face, with dark brown hair. "If you will accept me, I shall travel with you, no matter what the circumstances. Shall I be accepted, or no?"
User avatar
Caranthir
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2000 2:30 pm
Top

Postby Tempest » Wed Aug 09, 2000 9:39 am

"A mistake I hope to someday remedy," Tempest replied, bowing slightly to Snowdog, although he could see her eyes were blazing. She turned back to Telmar and said, "If you really believe that I would kill you in the depths of Dol Guldur, then you must think me a fool. Your death would mean my death in such a place. One person left alone would surely die."
User avatar
Tempest
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:12 am
Location: Wandering in the wilds
Top

Postby Snowdog » Wed Aug 09, 2000 10:18 am

"Ha Ha!" Snowdog laughed as he leaned his back to the bar. "I am sure you know your way around the dark places of Middle Earth. Telmar, I'm also sure you are wise enough to know what you reap from an Inn." Snowdog turned around and leaned forward again on the bar and sipped more of his ale and listened more to the words said in the place with his keen hearing.
User avatar
Snowdog
Mariner

 
Posts: 8305
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 8:45 am
Top

Postby theblack » Wed Aug 09, 2000 11:03 am

"<b>Tempest,</b> do not attempt to beguile me with your fair looks for I have destroyed men for less than that. I must tell you before the testing that as I will see into the depths of your soul I will know your heart and mind on the matter. Think well on this before you rashly decide on your course of action.", said <b>Telmar</b> to the beautiful woman. He continued,<BR>"<b>Snowdog</b> I would be honoured to have you accompany me for I know that you are pure of heart and soul if not body (Elentari). However if you do not wish to accompany me on this journey then I accept your decision and bid you farewell."<BR>As <b>Telmar</b> picked up his beer and took a swig he realised that everything appeared to be going well. 'Somethings wrong' he thought, 'nothing's ever this easy'.<BR>As he turned back to face Caranthir a knife whistled towards his face and clattered to the floor after hitting his apruptly conjoured shield. <BR><b><i>"Who Dares?!?"</i></b>, he thundered. As he caught sight of the dagger thrower he began to cast a spell of immense power... <BR>The dagger thrower was lifted off of his feet and suspended in mid-air. Without any warning his body was abruptly torn apart and scattered to all four corners of the room.<BR>"Right then," TheBlack said calmly, "shall we continue? You say you wish to be tested <b>Caranthir</b>. Come here."<BR>The thin man walked across the floor of the inn and placed his hand in <b>Telmar's</b>.<BR>"I'm ready," he said...
User avatar
theblack
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:23 am
Top

Postby Caranthir » Wed Aug 09, 2000 12:11 pm

"What do you wish of me, mage?" The man asked. "I shall do my best to complete any test you give me, be it for strength, courage, honor, or any other virtue."
User avatar
Caranthir
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2000 2:30 pm
Top

Postby Snowdog » Wed Aug 09, 2000 1:15 pm

<i>"My heart and soul may be pure but my mind and body are sometimes out of control, especially when beautiful women like Elentari are concerned, for my one and only love has been lost long ago."</i> Snowdog sipped hard and drained his ale glass and turned around to face Telmar and first whispered, <i>"She is a darn fine woman you have there i do say."</i> Snowdog then said louder, <i>"I will accompany you for now, but I remain a free agent. I have knowledge of Mirkwood that few have, save Radagast the Brown, and the way to Dol Guldur is weaved with many traps and pitfalls if the wayward foot steps wrong. But I'm sure our Princess of Darkness here knows that well."</i> and he looked again at Tempest.
User avatar
Snowdog
Mariner

 
Posts: 8305
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 8:45 am
Top

Postby theblack » Wed Aug 09, 2000 2:21 pm

"Your test will require all these things and more," said<b>Telmar</b> to <b>Caranthir</b>, "Come with me now and I'll show you."<BR>The mage and <b>Caranthir</b> walked to the back of the inn and <b>Telmar</b> spoke for a moment in the others ear. When he had finished speaking they both started to clear a space amongst the tables. Once they had a sizable gap cleared they turned to face each other and TheBlack said, "I have challenged <b>Caranthir</b> to a duel of honour to prove his worth. Instead of fighting against each other, man to mage, I will create illusions of ourselves that will responsive to our thoughts and we shall battle thus. Are you ready <b>Caranthir</b>?"<BR>"As ready as I'll ever be." he nervously replied.<BR>"Then let us begin..."
User avatar
theblack
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:23 am
Top

Postby Caranthir » Wed Aug 09, 2000 2:50 pm

Caranthir (or his duplicate, rather) poised to attack. He cried "XUESSGES!" as he leaped towards the mage, ready to kick him in mid-air.<BR><BR>The mage was caught off guard by the odd word, but still managed to block the kick, and send Caranthir's proxy crashing to the floor. He got back up, rubbing the back of his head, and prepared to attack again...
User avatar
Caranthir
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2000 2:30 pm
Top

Postby theblack » Wed Aug 09, 2000 3:26 pm

As Caranthir threw his next punch Telmar faked a trip. When Caranthir came close to finish the match Telmar jumped up into the air and kicked him twice in the face before leaping backwards.<BR>"Enough of this foolishness, you know as well as I do that a duel of honour is fought with weapons of your choice." cried <b>Telmar</b>, "I choose my trusty broadsword. What do you choose?"<BR>With these words he pulled out a <i>huge</i> broadsword from the scabbard concealed beneath his cloak and brandished it before him.<BR>"Come on, what say you?" he asked
User avatar
theblack
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:23 am
Top

Postby Caranthir » Wed Aug 09, 2000 3:49 pm

"I am armed with naught but my staff, so I shall choose it," said Caranthir. He walked over the table where he was sitting earlier, and picked it up from next to the chair. Wielding it with both hands, he stepped back into the circle. "Make your move, mage," he spoke slowly.
User avatar
Caranthir
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2000 2:30 pm
Top

Postby theblack » Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:00 pm

"Yahhhh!" the mage screamed as he spun towards Caranthir his blade following an curving arc through the air. As the blade was about to strike Caranthir somehow he managed to get his staff between himself and the sword.<BR><u><b>BONG</b></u><BR>As the large broadsword hit the staff it let out a resounding noise.<BR>"What the f**k was that?!?" shouted Telmar.<BR>Without bothering to reply Caranthir swung his staff at Telmar's head. TheBlack blocked the attack easily but his broadsword was dashed to pieces by the enchanted staff. As Telmar backed away he stumbled on a corner of his robe and fell onto the floor.<BR>"No!" he called out, "I was meant to kill you to test your humility. Oh well, finish me off and end the test."
User avatar
theblack
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:23 am
Top

Postby Caranthir » Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:24 pm

"Well, under normal circumstances, I would let you free. But, seeing as how you are but a hologram, I shall finish you," said Caranthir. He swung his staff at the head of Telmar.
User avatar
Caranthir
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2000 2:30 pm
Top

Postby Tempest » Wed Aug 09, 2000 9:03 pm

"Well," Tempest said after watching the duel, "I have no fear of you looking into my inmost being. You won't like what you find, but I think you will see that my intentions for this mission are good enough. And except for the case of my 'friend' here," she said, jerking a thumb at Snowdog, "I believe you will see that I mean you no harm. As he says, I do have knowledge of certain realms that may be of benefit to this party." <BR><BR>
User avatar
Tempest
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:12 am
Location: Wandering in the wilds
Top

Postby Sidhann » Thu Aug 10, 2000 12:20 am

A soft breath of laughter emerged from a small figure seated near the banked fire. As swiftly as it began, the antic air between Caranthir and Telmar disappeared as both swung toward the soft sound, dropping into tense, watchful readiness. The clatter of spoons on wooden platters continued in the background of the inn, but it seemed that a blanket of wariness had settled upon the small group.<BR><BR>Quietly, Telmar addressed the shadowed being. "Laughter being in short supply, I'd not gift so readily those to whom you do not show your face. Have you words to follow your mocking tones?" His hand rested lightly on the hilt of his broadsword, once again whole at his side.<BR><BR>The stranger remained silent, no move betraying the sudden sense of tension unifying the previously disparate gathering.<BR><BR>"Well?" said Caranthir, staff lightly tapping the floor in front of him. "I also wish to hear from this too-forward newcomer. You have not the look of a warrior...and brash moves can be dangerous in times such as these."<BR><BR>Silence.<BR><BR>Tempest rose to her feet, gliding swiftly to stand by the side of Telmar. Her quiet presence added to the growing sense of impending conflict. From the table, Trampiaton's eyes glittered as he surveyed the stranger, taking in the rest of the in as well in a cautious sweep of his eyes. His hand strayed toward the leather scabbard leaning against his chair. <BR> <BR>From the bar, back still toward the other travellers, Snowdog spoke. "Show your face. We do not need to create more enemies, and I have a feel of something strange about you."<BR><BR>With a sudden, disconcertingly soft sigh, a slender hand rose to the dark grey cloth shadowing the face of the stranger. With a swift, defiant movement, a pale face under dark hair was revealed. Disconcertingly light grey eyes flashed at those arrayed before her, as she straightened her spine.<BR><BR>"Very well. Test me if you will, Telmar. But I warn you, I have my own reasons to find the lost ring of the Dwarven ruler. Accept me into your group or no. I'm ready."
User avatar
Sidhann
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2000 11:00 pm
Top

Postby theblack » Thu Aug 10, 2000 11:11 am

<b>Telmar</b> studied the face of the newcomer and slowly relaxed his tense stance.<BR>"Yes," he said calmly, "I think I will test you. This test will be the most dangerous of them all and if you fail it you will most likely perish. Are you willing to take this risk?"<BR>Leaving the newcomer to think this over he turned to <b>Caranthir</b> and said, "Well done, you've passed the test. By saying that in real life you wouldn't kill, you have proven you are a man of stout heart and good charecter."<BR>Next he turned to the most beautiful woman in the inn and said simply, "You may come on this quest with us <b>Tempest</b>, on one condition. That you beat <b>Sidhann</b> in a fight to the death! This will not be a simple test of charecter as I cannot allow two people as evil as you are to be in the questing party. In a moment I will transport you both to a place of my own where you can battle freely until a winner is decided. Do you accept the challenge?"<BR>As he gave them both a moment or two to decide <b>Telmar</b> turned to <b>Snowdog</b> and <b>Trampiaton</b> who were sat at the table beside him and said, "I hope they kill each other for they is no place for the likes of they on a quest of such importance."
User avatar
theblack
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:23 am
Top

Postby Tempest » Thu Aug 10, 2000 2:50 pm

Tempest gazed at Sidhann thoughtfully, trying to size her up. She believed that she could beat this creature in such a duel, but the truth was, she did not like drawing this kind of attention to herself. She did not kill for mere pleasure, but only when a death would benefit her. She turned her dark eyes toward Telmar and Snowdog. They were probably hoping that she and Sidhann would kill each other. She smiled at this. The world would probably be a better place, but she would give them no such satisfaction. She would prevail.<BR><BR>"I am ready to be tested whenever you wish," she said to Telmar, with a hint of reluctance in her voice. How did she get herself into these stupid situations anyway?
User avatar
Tempest
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:12 am
Location: Wandering in the wilds
Top

Postby theblack » Fri Aug 11, 2000 1:18 am

"Then let the battle begin" <b>Telmar</b> said.<BR>As he spoke these words a cloud of smoke appeared around sidhann and Tempest and with a pop it transported them to a far of dueling arena.<BR>"When one of you has won the spell will automatically transport them back here. Good luck!"
User avatar
theblack
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:23 am
Top

Postby Tempest » Fri Aug 11, 2000 6:27 am

Tempest drew her sword and remained watchful, her eyes fixed on the motionless figure of Sidhann. As of yet, the woman had not shown a weapon and this puzzled Tempest greatly. She swung in once or twice to test Sidhann's reaction, but the woman remained still. She was closer now and Tempest could hear her soft breathing. <BR><BR>Tempest raised her sword and charged.
User avatar
Tempest
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:12 am
Location: Wandering in the wilds
Top

Postby Sidhann » Fri Aug 11, 2000 6:16 pm

The silent figure of Sidhann remained motionless as Tempest advanced. Raising her arm for a shattering blow, Tempest closed the distance between, hesitating not an instant. The eerily light grey eyes of the stranger remained steady on the charging figure.<BR><BR>_blink_<BR><BR>Whirling, skidding on the uneven surface of whatever place they had been transported to, Tempest searched for her opponent. Was that a whisper of breath she heard? Where...yes, behind her. Turning slowly, her eyes adjusting to the murky light, she saw a stir of motion. Sidhann was poised in readiness, a grim smile playing about her features. Her cloak had formed a pool of liquid darkness at her feet, revealing a slim, long knife held lightly in each hand.<BR><BR>"If you must..."<BR><BR>She waited for Tempest's next approach.
User avatar
Sidhann
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2000 11:00 pm
Top

Postby Tempest » Fri Aug 11, 2000 8:52 pm

Tempest was glad when Sidhann had finally revealed her weapon of choice. Both stood opposite one another, their eyes flashing.<BR><BR><i>"So, our testors are watching us now,"</i> Tempest said with a smile,<i>"Shall we play by their rules and fight till the death? Or shall we find our own 'unique' way out of this? It would be a shame to have to destroy one so like myself. But then again, it's not like I haven't done it before."</i>
User avatar
Tempest
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:12 am
Location: Wandering in the wilds
Top

Postby Sidhann » Fri Aug 11, 2000 11:11 pm

A wry smile lifted the corner of Sidhann's mouth. A like spirit, indeed. <BR><BR><i>"I have no thirst for blood unnecessarily shed."</i> Sidhann relaxes her stance slightly, though her knives remain gleaming softly in the dim light. <i>"Let us thwart Telmar's foolish plan to eliminate one of us...my plans to find this magic ring shall not be turned aside so easily."</i><BR><BR>
User avatar
Sidhann
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2000 11:00 pm
Top

Postby Snowdog » Sat Aug 12, 2000 8:04 am

<i>"Hey Black, I bet a gold piece on Tempest, for I know of her *ahem* skills. She also kisses nice too when the cold hard mercenary is pushed away some. I think that is why she hates me so much. Do you put money down on the other?"</i>
User avatar
Snowdog
Mariner

 
Posts: 8305
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 8:45 am
Top

Postby Tempest » Sat Aug 12, 2000 7:18 pm

<i>"So, what do you propose? Shall we put on a good show and fake the death of one of us? We could also conjure up a little magic ourselves. My sword thirsts for the blood of another, and I wish to uncover the secrets of Don Guldor. The ring is not the only treasure to be found there. So, tell me, what is your answer?"</i> Tempest asked the dark figure before her. She kept her sword firmly in her hands, lest this new alliance crumble quickly.
User avatar
Tempest
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:12 am
Location: Wandering in the wilds
Top

Postby Sidhann » Sun Aug 13, 2000 12:15 am

<i>"Perhaps a little bit of both. I have always enjoyed a bit of knife-play..."</i><BR><BR>Sidhann glides toward Tempest, her lithe, deft movements evoking images of the feral snowcats so abundant in the frigid North. Those light eyes remain focused on her prey, unblinking. The knives raise slowly, carving twin arcs through the silence.<BR><BR>Tempest begins to circle, bringing her sword up to meet the challenge.<BR><BR>With a sudden, ice-bright smile, Sidhann leaps. Tempest whirls, her sword ringing as it meets hard steel. Twisting, diving, panting, the two begin a swaying dance punctuated only by the clash of metal and scuffle of feet.<BR><BR>They stop, frozen in a silent tableau of crossed knives holding back a slender blade...<BR><BR><i> "Now, Tempest! But if you cross me...you shall never know a moment's peace hereafter..."</i>
User avatar
Sidhann
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2000 11:00 pm
Top

Postby Tempest » Sun Aug 13, 2000 6:27 am

Tempest nodded at Sidhann and pulled her sword from it's entanglement. She swung hard at the other woman's knives, knocking her off her feet and onto the floor. In one swift movement, Tempest thrust her sword into the ground next to Sidhann's side. The woman lay very still as Tempest withdrew her sword. She noticed that there was blood tainting it's silver, and realized that she had grazed Sidhann's flesh. It was only a small wound, but it contributed to the overall affect. <BR><BR><i>"There, I have killed her!"</i>Tempest shouted to the black space. <i>"Transport us out of here, Telmar!"</i><BR><BR>There was a flash of light and they were back in the smokey inn.
User avatar
Tempest
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:12 am
Location: Wandering in the wilds
Top

Postby theblack » Sun Aug 13, 2000 9:06 am

"<i>You forget Tempest, that in that place, not only do I see all but I hear all as well. However, as you have decided to work together and have evenmanaged to create a convincing ruse, I've decided to let you both accompany me on this quest. Even though your reason's for doing this are different to my own they are not in opposition. Once we have found the ring we can battle it out to decide who will be the owner of it and reap their reward.</i>" Telmar said calmly, "<i>Until then can we agree to work as a team and try to get the ring before we fight for it? Like I said time is of the essence as other mages are trying to get there first</i>"
User avatar
theblack
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:23 am
Top

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests