How do you say hello in elvish/quenya

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

How do you say hello in elvish/quenya

Postby fellowshipgirl » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:44 am

I was just wondering!
:)
fellowshipgirl
Petitioner to the Council

Postby rowanberry » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:14 am

In Quenya, at least aiya ("hail") is used. In Sindarin, it's suilad, as far as I know.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby starlin » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:48 am

Well, as far as I know, at least in LotR we have two examples of elvish greetings:
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo - A star shines upon the hour of our meeting; in Quenya (if spoken to one person; if spoken to more persons, the ending should rather be omentielmo)
and
Mae govannen - Well met; in Sindarin.
Correct me, if there are more. I don't remember where this Suilda comes from (it is Sindarin, by the way), but it is widely used among tolkienists. Oh, and rowan is right about aiya.

I am sure we can think of various greetings ourselves. for example, the given Quenya greeting is really formal, if you want something informal, say for example Eleni sílar, which means "stars shine" litterally; the answer to this or maybe something like "bye bye" might sound Nai siluvar - "may [they] shine". I made these greetings myself, but you are of course free to use them if they sound proper to you :roll:

As for Sindarin, the Phrasebook on Forodrim website suggested also Meneg suilad - "thousand [OR many] greetings".

All I can say is, be creative! 8)
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Mithfindel » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:54 am

Well:

Mae govannen! - Sindarin: Well met!
Mára omentië! - Quenya: Well met! (Translated from above, used when two people meet, dual form)
Mára yomentië! - Quenya: Well met! (When there are more than two.)

Suilad! - Sindarin: Greetings! (Formal)
Suilad mae govannen! - Sindarin: Greetings (and) well met!
Aiye! - Quenya: Hail! (Extremely formal, usually followed by title, as in following.)
Aiye Nolofinwë, aran Noldoron! - Quenya: Hail Fingolfin, king of (the) Noldor.

EDIT: Right, there was a typo. But, in this I cannot help quite much on the etymologies. Quenya-wise I'm still a script kiddie, and just based this off Quetin i lambë eldaiva, English edition v1.05, pg. 42. The course, compiled by Thorsten Rank, is available in the Gwaith-i-Pherdain site, http://www.elvish.org/gwaith.

For the grammatical difference, it should be a difference between dual and plural, as the Tolkien's elven languages do make distincion between one, two and many, as in some languages still spoken.
Last edited by Mithfindel on Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mithfindel
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:46 pm

Em... Could you please explain Mára omentië! and Mára ymentië! etymologically? I don't quite catch where this initial "y" comes from and what's the grammatical difference if it's a typo.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Idhren » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:46 am

You could try the Quenya Translation thread.
Idhren
Ranger of the North

Return to Language