The Inn at Long Lake...a journey ended

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Hunter » Fri Oct 20, 2000 10:53 am

The air was crisp and clear, and the sun shone bright in the early morning sky. The change of seasons during Winterfilth was at the height of showing its colors before the onset of winter. The smoke from the early morning hearth fires rose up the chimneys of Bree, adding a touch of woodsmoke to the air as the four riders set out on the road leading east.<BR><BR><BR><BR>In the lead was Snowdog riding his horse Blackveil. A trader and trapper from the North was his claim, though he seemed to be more than this to some people. Riding a dappled grey mare a few paces behind, was a small woman who called herself Hunter. Wrapped as she was in her traveling cloak and wearing a shapeless hat, from the back she could have been mistaken for young man. However, the thick brown braided hair that hung from under the hat and down her back between her shoulders marked her as a woman. Behind her were Edain, a Ranger, also on a grey mare, though this one bore recent scars not yet faded. At his side rode a lovely Rohirrim lady, Genuvere, her golden hair stirring slightly in the light breeze.<BR><BR><BR><BR>They were heading for the Weather Hills, the first stop of a journey that would take them further north. <BR><BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------<BR><BR><BR><BR>(OOC This story was started in the Pancing Pony Inn thread. Instead of re-posting Hunters’ story here, anyone interested in this may check the background there. Her entrance in the thread starts on page 4.)
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Snowdog » Fri Oct 20, 2000 11:07 am

<i>(OOC: Please! Dont call me dogstar!)<BR>-------------<BR><BR>The ride east to the gate of Bree was only interuppted by the stopping of Snowdog at a trading post to pick up his dried meat he left there when he came into town. It will be a good trail ration. He stowed it and they were soon leaving down the east road toward the Forsaken Inn 20 miles out of town.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Hunter » Fri Oct 20, 2000 11:43 am

(Occ I am truly sorry Snowdog, I most humbly beg your pardon)<BR>----------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR>Hunter was soon warmed by the rays of the sun as it climbed higher in the eastern sky; except for a smaller part in her mind that was like a small chip of ice when she thought of what lay futher down the road. Sleep last night had not come easy, and when it finally did, her dreams were filled with flashes of what had happened last year near this same time. She kept trying to remember the face of the man she sought, but each time she did it was replaced with the sight of the red stone that Edain now carried.<BR><BR>She continued to ride in silence, questions again spinning through<BR>her mind.<BR><BR>Deciding to pull up, she waited for Edain, then matched her mares pace to his. "I noticed when you arrived at the Inn this morning, that your mare bears recent scars. I hope that they have healed sufficiently, and that she is doing well." <BR><BR><BR><BR>
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Freahelm » Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:26 pm

Bysen rode slowly, Weathertop humped above the horizon beyond the ridge. His horse, a strongly built war horse, obviously of Rohirric lineage, looked weary, as indeed it was. Bysen's normally fair face was tanned from long exposure, except where the several weeks growth of beard covered it. He topped a low ridge, and reined in, looking down upon the beginnings of a mountain man rendezvous. <BR><BR>He gave a small sigh of relief. The mountain men, though rare and growing rarer, were reliable men, and he could find the supplies he needed there. His news would be welcomed too, he was sure. Nudging his horse, Healdan, he began the slow descent.
Freahelm
Rider of the Mark

Postby Snowdog » Fri Oct 20, 2000 6:02 pm

'It was good to be on the road again. Too many bad habits come out when I spend to much time at Inns.' Snowdog thought to himself as he rode along ahead of Edain & Hunter. He glanced over his shoulder and could see the two talking. 'Yes, he is a fair man, and I think he will be worthy to ride in the wild with.' he thought. Snowdog then thought of his old friends who still trap the Ettenmoors and Greys. It had been a few years since Snowdog had trapped. The long winters in the north and the taking of the Northern Whites was hard work, and also the grey Wargs decimated the Northern Whites in a fued among Wargs. the greys were still worth trapping, but they market not as well as the Whites. And the years have taken their toll. Wily Pete and Drunken Dan it was said went under before last year's moot. Charlie 9 fingers and Hatchet Jack the year before. Yes, there were only himself, Dragon Jim, Khazad the dwarf, Danny Freeleaf the surly Hobbit, Kerry Khand, and Ray are the only ones left from their original trappinf expedition of nearly 15 years ago. The furs bring not what they used to in trade, and hardly any new blood shows up anymore. This moot may be the last.<BR><BR>Up ahead was the Forsaken Inn, but if it was ok with Edain & Hunter, Snowdog would rather not stop there. He was hoping to make time east and camp south of the road and the Midgewater if possible.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby EdaintheRanger » Sat Oct 21, 2000 6:40 am

Edain thank Hunter for her concern. Slowly he unveiled his tale, (with Genuvere adding comments here and there) explaining that in the spring he had made his first journey aboard, from his home in northern Arnor, with his Uncle. He had been travelling to Mirkwood in order to restore his people's friendship with the Elven King, there. As they skirted the Ettenmoors they had been beset by Wolves. Edain had been separated from first his horse Durfre and then his party. He had continued to Rivendell on foot, then onwards to Mirkwood with Legolas and his party. Knowing that his horse was in the good hands of the Breelanders he had returned to the 'Pony and had been enjoying much repast in celebration of her recovery.<BR><BR>He said that Durfre was handling well and she was of sturdy stock. She may appear as unkempt and dour as a Ranger sometimes, but riding came easily when Edain was with her.<BR><BR>Edain trusted Snowdog's judgement, he had had enough soft living for the moment and was glad to be out in the wilds.
EdaintheRanger
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Sat Oct 21, 2000 10:53 am

As the riders came over a slight rise in the road, Hunter saw what looked to be an Inn ahead. Remembering that Snowdog had mentioned stopping at such a place, she kneed her horse to catch up with him. Glancing over at him, she inquired if it was their intention to stop at the Inn. When Snowdog proposed that they continue on, she found no objections about moving on, and remained riding by his side as they bypassed the Inn.
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Snowdog » Sat Oct 21, 2000 1:34 pm

They rode past the Forsaken Inn in the afternoon and pushed at a steady jog down the road. The day was clear and summery but the sun southered more and was to set as its want in Winterfilth. Hunter had rode up by Snowdog for a time and Snowdog said to her,<BR><BR><i>"I figure we can be by Weathertop on the 3rd day, and if sign is there, then the moot of trappers is on."</i><BR><BR>They rode at fair speed as the shadows grew long, and a fog northeast of the road could be seen ahead. The cooling evening air allowed the sun-warmed waters in the swamps of Midgewater to form a ground fog, and eerie was its sight in the westering sun. Snowdog stopped and led his horse off the road to the south into scrub and prarie grass and dismounted. They were on their horses all day and ate little or nothing, and he would prefer to camp before they got to the stench and dampness of the marshes. They probably had covered close to 12 leagues on the open road, and were tired as were the horses.<BR><BR><i>"Any objections to camping here before we reach the Marshland north of the road? I suggest we ride harder tomorrow and we will be in the shadow of Weathertop by the morn of the third day. Then by noon the third day we will be at Weathertop. That is my proposal, what say ye?"</i><BR><BR>Snowdog stretched and worked out his muscles as the others dismounted.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Hunter » Sun Oct 22, 2000 1:29 am

Hunter dismounted slowly, stiff and sore after the day long ride. Not as used to riding as the others obviously were, she hid her face against her horses back to hide a grimace of pain as she tried to stretch her legs. She undid her packs, tossing then to the ground nearby and then removed the saddle. As she wiped down her horses wet back, she murmured soft words to the mare. Her legs were now not as tight as earlier, but even so, her limp was more pronounced as she slowly made her way to the fire someone had started.<BR><BR>After helping with the preparations of the meal and the cleanup after ward, Hunter relaxed with a hot cup of tea, and listened to Edain, Genuvere and Snowdog talk of the next days travel.
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Sun Oct 22, 2000 10:12 am

A tall shadowy figure stands in an unlit window of a small fortress hidden in the Withered Heath. His brow was furrowed as he stood there in the darkness. <BR><BR><BR>Two nights ago he had been awakened from his sleep. He had felt the stone. He knew now that it was somewhere to the south, for it had finally been left uncovered for more than a brief moment. He did not know who held the stone now.<BR><BR><BR>His thoughts returned to the night the stone disappeared.<BR><BR><BR>Surely the woman who had taken it along with the dagger it had been mounted on, no longer held it. He had searched long and hard for the stone, ever since that night almost a year ago. He should have killed them both outright that night; after all, it had been pure chance that the small band of Orcs that he had been leading had happened upon them. They had been running from the Woodland Elves in Mirkwood for two days before finally eluding them, and the Orcs had been starting to become surly and hard to control. He had thought it amusing when he had allowed the Orcs to tear apart the man as he held the woman and forced her to watch. But then her struggling had awakened in him a lust thought long dead, and as the Orcs feasted on the remains of the man, he feasted on the woman in his own way. Sated, he had left her laying there, believing her to be more dead than alive, intending to return shortly and have her again before finally handing her to the Orcs to finish. Flying into a rage when he had returned to find her gone, he had railed against the Orcs beating on them until they submitted to search for her even though the sun had now risen above the distant trees. When the cut rope was found, and he had guessed at her means of escape, his anger returned, for he had no way of following the river but on foot. He had little trouble urging the Orcs downriver in the daylight for his anger was fresh in their minds. As night fell he had tried to open his mind to the stone, and had felt it briefly before it had vanished. Realizing that someone may have found the woman, he waited many night before guessing that the Elves must have been the ones to find her. Enraged again, his fury only cooled after slaying a few of the Orcs. He left them cowering there in the forest, for he intended to return to the Withered Heath alone.<BR><BR><BR>All that winter he had brooded on the stone in the hands of the Elves, and wondered if they had any knowledge of it, as he had little knowledge of it himself, having had it only a short time. He had taken it from an Orc that had joined his small band after they had left the northern Misty Mountains. The Orc had exchanged with him quickly when the offer of a stabbing sword had been made. At first it had been the dagger itself that had attracted his attention, with the unusual design and workmanship, but as he had held it in his hand, a subtle change could be felt in his mind. He had planned to study it more on his return to his fortress, but then the encounter with the Elves had happened and then the first tug at his mind when he had discovered it missing, along with the woman. He had felt the loss of the stone in his mind over the long winter, and had know immediately what it was when the first pull came again in the spring. He had thought to set out and try to find it again, but the periods of time between the touches to his mind were few and felt more distant, and he could never be sure of the direction from whence it came. The pull of the other night had been the strongest yet and he would wait one more night before setting out to the south.
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Freahelm » Sun Oct 22, 2000 5:00 pm

Healdan trod slowly across a small clearing where some 2 or 3 trappers had gathered so far. More would arrive of the course of the next few days. Bysen dismounted when he reached the men, greeting them each in turn. One was Holt, a woodsman from the edge of Mirkwood who was travelling with a giant hulk of a man called Tiny, who said he had been hunting bears along the Anduin. <BR><BR><i>"Bysen!"</i> bellowed a voice from the trees. Bysen turned and broke into a grin. Wolfmane Jenkins, a trapper he had long known, strode out from the trees to greet him. Bysen greeted him with equal enthusiasm. <BR>After talking for a few minutes Wolfmane asked, <i>"Where have you been, anyway? I ain't seen you since, aw heck, it has to've been at least 6 years!"</i> <BR><BR>Bysen grew sober. <i>"I've been back in Rohan, mostly. I just came from up above Mirkwood. Things aren't normal up there."</i> <BR><BR>They talked for a few minutes more when Bysen asked, <i>"When are the rest of them going to be here?"</i><BR><BR>Jenkins sighed. <i>"There aren't many of us left. I don't expect hardly more'n a dozen or so. Everyone who's coming'll prolly be here in two, three days."</i>
Freahelm
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hunter » Sun Oct 22, 2000 8:58 pm

The long day was finally catching up with Hunter as she sipped her tea sitting by the fire. Her eyelids kept slipping closed as she listened to the murmur of her companions’ voices and the night sounds of small-unseen animals skittering around them rustling the dry grasses. Rousing herself, she went to check on her horse before taking up her sleeping roll and arranging it a short distance from the fire. As she sat on her bedroll while taking off her boots, she felt the chilly dampness of the air that whispered of a possible frost by morning. Sliding between the covers of her roll, she removed her outer clothing but for her shirt, and delighted in the soft fur lining of the roll as it enveloped her. Rolling her clothes in her cape and placing it under her head with the dagger tucked underneath, she bid everyone good night and sleep came quickly.<BR><BR>The dreams came to her later.<BR><BR>Flashes that lasted for only an instant, as if lit by lightening, pierced her mind; a man’s face; darkness; rough dark hands; darkness; the moon; darkness; dark lustful eyes; darkness; sharp fangs and rough tongues; darkness; a face; darkness; closer; darkness; a face...
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Snowdog » Sun Oct 22, 2000 10:32 pm

Snowdog spent some time after gathering some sparse wood for a fire brushing down Blackveil after she had cooled from the says ride. He watched Hunter from the distance as she was a mystery to him, and he could see she was not used to the ride. He himself had lounged long at the Pony, flirting with the woman Genuvere, thought she appeared so young. Her hair and eyes reminded him so much of his lost beloved Rian that he was instinctivly attracted to her. But he wasn't expecting on traveling with her, or anyone for that matter. What fate lie on this road? He did not know. <BR><BR>The meal was simple but good refreshing the body and the tea went down good. Snowdog spent some of the time telling of his past journey to the southand east, where he was met by much unfriendliness, but managed to prosper in spite of it. Though he passed himself off as a trapper and a trader, all the while there he searched for sign of Rian. He tried to find out as much he could of Genuvere's experience in the wild, and concluded that she had much to learn. She was skilled in her weaponry, but he did not know if she had killed, and this would remain a mystery until she wished to talk.<BR><BR>As Hunter was going to turn in, He was going to ask her how stealthily she wanted to travel after the trapper's moot, but he saw weariness on her face so he just said, <i>"Good Night."</i><BR><BR>Snowdog sat long by the fire and watched as the wood burned itself to glowing embers. There was no wood for a morning fire, and he hoped the others would just want to have a bite of fruit and be on their way. He stretched and dozed as the night grew long, and woke before dawn and looked at the stars bright above. He pulled his fur cloak tight around himself to ward off the autumn chill, and laid back and watched, searching for the elusive star he called Arthentari. He knew he was too far west to get the glimpse he so loved, and hoped the sky would be clear when the arrived at the resting place of his old friends, Arthedain and Elentari. It seemed it was only a moment when the stars started to fade and a dull blue could be seen on the eastern horizon.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Hunter » Sun Oct 22, 2000 10:52 pm

Hunter woke before dawn and lay watching Snowdog for a short time before half-rising to prop herself on a bent elbow. She called out softly a "Good Morning."<BR><BR>She had slept well most of the night, but again was troubled by dreams, she could remember more of the bits and pieces. It was something that Snowdog had said that she must try doing.
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Snowdog » Sun Oct 22, 2000 11:09 pm

As Snowdog admired the beauty of the bluing eastern sky, he heard a soft <i>"Good Morning"</i> from behind him. He turned and stood, and bowed slightly to the lady Hunter as she arose while saying quietly, <i>"Good morning"</i> in return. The outline of her was all that was visible in the starlight and the very early dawn, but his night vision was keen for the fire had long since went cold. He figured the moot of trappers would be a couple days away, and mayb elast a couple days or so, and Snowdog hoped Hunter would be able to shed some more light on who exactly they were going to be looking for. A sadness came over Snowdog as he saw Hunter arise in the cold morning and wished that she could be wrapped in the loving arms of her husband Wilm once again, but he now felt that he was indeed dead. He said to her, <BR><BR><i>"Do we ride too hard for you lady Hunter? for I push hard to make it to the moot early. There are some who I wish to see there, but I wish you comfort along the way. If ye need a break from riding and need to work your muscles, just say and we wil break from the ride."</i><BR><BR>Snowdog turned his gaze skyward and now only the brightest stars could be seen as the blue in the east brightened. It would be another warm day.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Hunter » Mon Oct 23, 2000 12:55 am

As Snowdog stood against the eastern sky as it started to lighten, <BR>Hunter tried reading his features but they were hidden in the shadow he cast while facing her. <BR><BR>"No, it will not be hard for me if we must ride harder. It had been a long while since I had ridden for that long of a stretch, but already my stiffness has faded and today I believe, will be easier for me, as will each day that we ride." at this last she had to bow her head, for the first rays of the morning sun crept over the skyline and into her eyes. She was rebraiding her hair as she spoke again. "What were you searching the sky for earlier? You seemed so intent for a moment that I thought to find a storm on the way, but I can tell now that it will be a fine day." <BR>
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby EdaintheRanger » Mon Oct 23, 2000 2:17 am

Edain awoke shortly afterwards. Slowly he gathered his gear and his wits. As he stowed his gear he pondered on his companions. Hunter he felt was suffering much pain, though he knew that she was working hard to hide it away. Instinctively his hand strayed to his belt pouch and the <i>Athelas</i> stored within. The leaves were still quite fresh, and Edain thought that if he crushed a few leaves into hot water that all would feel refreshed. Maybe that was they all needed to spur them to a swift journey to Weathertop.<BR><BR>Edain strode over to the others greeting Snowdog and Hunter with a <i>"Fine morning,"</i> and a grin. Cautiously he made his suggestion to them. For he didn't wish to draw too much attention to Hunter's woes. As they considered his opinion, Edain quickly built a small fire that produced little smoke and prepared to boil some water to wash with.
EdaintheRanger
Ranger of the North

Postby Genuvere » Mon Oct 23, 2000 6:58 am

genuvere slept hard in the fresh outdoor air. She slept on through the others getting up and finally awoke drenched in sweat as the sun shone on her after clearing the distant peaks of the Misty Mountains. Arising she got a chill as the cool air of the morning blew against her. She walked over to Hunter, Edain and Snowdog who stood by a small fire, since there was very little wood to burn, and Edain boiled water. Genuvere said good morning to them and went aways away to do her exercises to loosen up before a ride.
Genuvere
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Mon Oct 23, 2000 12:41 pm

They set off as soon as their meager camp was broken, and rode hard as Snowdog had warned them they would. At first the going was easy but soon the ground became softer and further yet they had to slow, for there were now stagnant pools of water standing about and even this far into fall, the warm weather had brought the numerous bugs out. Hunter could discern no visible trail that they followed and led her horse as best she could, following the track that Blackveil left, tho any marks left were quick to fill with water. They ate as they rode, stopping only when Snowdog stopped, for through this swampy terrain no permanent trail lasted long with the shifting waters and soft ground ever changing, and Snowdog oftimes had to search for the best way for them to go. <BR><BR>Hunter found that even if the ride was harder than the previous days, she felt better today, her muscle more relaxed and she moved more in tune with her horse. In spite of this, she also knew that when this day was done, rest would not be hard to find. <BR>
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Genuvere » Tue Oct 24, 2000 10:20 am

The East Road was marshy and hard to maintain near the Midgewater. They managed to pick their way by but it slowed them down. Snowdog hoped to be able to make camp in the shadow of Weathertop, and with the Midgewater mostly behind then the sun set in the west. The rode off to the south for a ways and found a flat area in the rocky ground to camp, just out of sight from the road.
Genuvere
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:57 pm

<BR>When they stopped that night everyone dismounted wearily and set about taking care of their horses and packs without much talking. The days ride had been hard. Hunter finished rubbing down her horse and walked away from the others, to stretch her legs and find a spot to be alone for a moment with her thoughts. Finding a rock jutting out down a short slope, she made her way down and sat on its edge, her legs swinging freely above the ground. Looking to the west, she watched the setting sun bring a more golden glow to the vast expanse of rolling hills of grasslands. <BR><BR>She thought on the past few days, and had a feeling almost of a kind of peace, or the release of the tension that had been with her for such a long time now, come over her. Could it be because she was headed back, and might finally resolve and put an end to the troubling feelings she had of the night Wilm died, when the man who had caused his death was finally dead himself? She held out no false hope that Wilm might still be alive, for if he was, she surely would have heard word before she had left to travel south.<BR><BR>Hunter could remember him now as he had been before that night, and the memories were sweet and dear to her heart. When she had tried to remember him before, all that she could remember was the look in his eyes and the terror on his face as they had been pulled apart. Taking a folded cloth from inside her shirt, she opened it carefully and gently touched the lock of hair that lay there.<BR><BR>Replacing the cloth again inside her shirt, she pulled her braided hair over her shoulder and began to undo it. Shaking her hair loose, she ran her fingers through it, letting her wavy brown hair fall down her back. Watching the shadows lengthen, she turned her head toward the rustling of the grass behind her. <BR><BR><BR>
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Snowdog » Wed Oct 25, 2000 8:39 am

Snowdog sat and listened intently. He wasn't sure where Hunter was at but he was going to give her as much space as possible for he didn't want to burden her with his being about all the time. But he could hear something coming down the road, so he moved up to a rise so he could see the road clearly. It was a man on a mule talking loud and profusly. It had to be a trapper on his way to the moot, but who? Snowdog watched as he approached closer.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Hunter » Wed Oct 25, 2000 9:05 am

Hearing more than rustling now, Hunter stood and tried to see above the slope. Failing that she made her way back up the slope, and saw Snowdog standing on a rise above the road. As she came nearer, she could hear plainly that someone approached on the road below. Having had run an Inn that trapppers and hunters often frequented, Hunter was still taken aback slightly by the string of profanity coming from the man riding the mule. The quickly fading light made it hard to see the figure clearly.
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby EdaintheRanger » Wed Oct 25, 2000 9:58 am

Edain was riding at the rear, behind Genuvere. Seeing Hunter and Snowdog react to something up ahead, he slowed and moved his horse forward quietly. Stopping he swiftly dismounted, and as he did he felt the stone shift in his clothing. Frowning he stooped and found that he had dropped it in the road. <i>" Hmm would be bad to lose this."</i> he thought. He thought nothing else of it and decided to store it in one of the more sucure compartments in his backpack. <i>"I'll have to take a closer look at that sometime it may be valuable."</i> he wondered as he continued his line of thought.<BR><BR>Tethering his horse nearby he stealthily moved into the shadows of the nearby undergrowth and moved towards the others. He hope that there wasn't trouble up ahead.
EdaintheRanger
Ranger of the North

Postby Genuvere » Wed Oct 25, 2000 10:18 am

Genuvere stayed back and cared for the horses. She did not want anyone pulling a ruse and flanking and stealing their mounts. She watched as the dusk darkened and Hunter and Snowdog were only siloettes on the rise. She could hear sounds coming from over the rise but could not make them out.
Genuvere
Ranger of the North

Postby Snowdog » Wed Oct 25, 2000 9:34 pm

<i>"Hail Bill Bellows! You are the noisiest trapper in Middle Earth!"</i><BR><BR>The man lept from his mule and was ready with an axe, and yelled out, <BR><i>"Snowdog! You rat! You headin' to the rendezvous?"</i><BR><BR>Snowdog looked back at the others and said, <i>"Yeah, and I have some friends with me. We are staying here tonight and making a run to Weathertop for sign."</i><BR><BR>Bellows said, <i>"No need! There is one I say.... heard it from Dawkins ere yesterday. It is in the east cut. Probly be the last tho. well, I be movin! I am slow and want ta get there before it over."</i>
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Hunter » Thu Oct 26, 2000 12:59 pm

As Snowdog stood there watching Bill Bellows fade into the shadows, Hunter sent him a questioning look, shrugged her shoulders and returned to where Edain and Genuvere had set up the sparse camp.
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:35 pm

Their camp was a meager one again, for they would have ample time tomorrow when they arrived at the rendezvous, to relax and refresh themselves. As Edain, Genuvere, and Hunter prepared for sleep, Snowdog sat alone by the low burning fire. Rather than falling off to sleep as the others had done, Hunter lay staring at the star laden sky then turned her gaze to the figure at the fire. Pulling on her woolen pants, but forgoing her boots, Hunter walked softly over and knelt beside him. “I feel a need to talk to you and mayhap explain a few things. Please, will you walk with me a ways so that we do not disturb the others?” Snowdog looked at Hunter for a moment, drawing on his pipe, before he nodded his head in assent.<BR><BR>Leading him by the light of the stars and the waning moon, Hunter led him down the slope to the rock she had been seated on earlier. Seating herself, Snowdog remained standing below and they were almost of the same height. She turned to him and spoke quietly. “First, I don’t think I have ever thanked you for what you are doing.” Seeing him about to speak, she put her finger gently to his lips. “I don’t clearly understand why, but if my story has moved you in some way to help, thank you. As for Edains’ and Genuveres’ reasons, I believe I understand at least one of them, and I accept their help gratefully." At this Hunter paused and shrugged her shoulders. “As for my behavior of the past few days, well....,I know that I have been distant and withdrawn, and I don’t really know how to explain this. For so long I have had just one thought that burned in me, revenge on this man for what he did. My mind is now filled with questions that had not come to me before. Some answers I have found and others.....I’m still looking. And some of the answers only bring more questions.” With a wry smile, she sighed and tried to see Snowdog’s eyes, but they were lost in shadow. “Do you understand any of what I have just said, for truly I just confuse myself.” <BR>
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Snowdog » Thu Oct 26, 2000 9:03 pm

Snowdog listened as Hunter spoke and was going to cut her off, but she was determined to speak uninterrupted. He knew verily what she was saying. He had for so many years was bent on revenge to those who waylaid Rían's family and taken Rían into captivity. Surely he found the ones who had bought her, and those also who had taken her. And the last one that had knowledge of her he killed also, though he only knew of where she was taken. The Easterlings had searched for him for murder then, and he escaped east to the sea. But the long years since had blunted his quest as his desire for revenge faded to dispair. And here is a woman who not even a year ago lost her beloved before her very eyes....<BR><BR><i>"Yea Lady, I know of reasons to be withdrawn, for you still mourn. And as for answers,many give new questions. And a point may come when one questions what they seek, and confusion follows close. Yea, I know verily. And you have all rights to be to yourself, for a few days ago you knew me, or any of us not. But your pain and quest awakened anew a desire in me to search again for Rían though the years have been long. But if I can in a small way assist you in your quest, and in hope beyond hope you find again your husband, it will do my heart good."</i><BR><BR>Snowdog dumped the ash from his pipe and pocketed it. He looked at the stars above and said, <BR><BR><i>"The east cut in the Weather Hills is a ways away, but if we ride again hard, we will possibly make it near there. I reckon we camp a ways away tomorrow night for once we join the moot sleep will be little to non-existant. But much could be learned if more than Bellows show up."</i><BR><BR>Snowdog then loooked at Hunter and was struck by her silhouette in the night light with a slight sheen upon her hair. His thought raced for a moment, but he quickly chased it out and turned his head. She mourns for her lost beloved, as he had mourned for Rían for so many years. No, he would never find love again.
Snowdog
Mariner

Postby Hunter » Thu Oct 26, 2000 10:47 pm

Still trying to see Snowdog eyes, Hunter paused a long moment. "You have done my heart good, for you have shown an understanding that few could give. I wish.....that we could have first met without a cloud over our hearts, for mine is too fresh and yours I fear, is a far heavier burden, for you have carried it longer. I do believe that we share something that others cannot understand. Because of this common<BR>bond I feel that I can speak of this to you now." Reaching over, she turned his face to hers once more. "Sometimes in your eyes, I see a pain far deeper than mine and I wonder who's need is greater, for if I could....." and she stopped and stared into his eyes.<BR><BR>Sitting silently for a long moment, she dropped her hand and looked away. "When we arrive at the moot, do you expect to hear much news? I'm afraid I haven't been much help in remembering the man's face. Sometimes I feel as if it is so close, and then other times I draw a blank." <BR><BR>
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)