The Riddle. APPENDIX A Added.

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Nalatarigelle » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:17 pm

My name is Likasta, and this is the fifth day of my imprisonment.<BR><BR>I curse the day when I set out in search for the bow. <BR><BR>The castle resembles a tomb more and more as each day passes. For five days I have been wandering through its halls and passages. I have found nothing that would even suggest that the bow exists. I am no longer certain whether I should question its being. Perhaps it was but a trap to allure and ensnare me here. But I still refuse to believe that and will continue my search. For such a treasure could not be without a vault to keep it hidden. Tis how I see these chambers - a crypt, meant to bury the weapon and keep it from the eyes of any creature that would roam these lands. What ensures me in its presence and its master’s desire to be found one day is the riddle. For it could not have been written unless it was designed to lead a seaker to the querry. And it led me here. <BR><BR>I am now entraped here, in a castle, influenced by a strong spell which keeps me from getting out. The castle is surrounded with tall iron walls. I have tried throwing a rope over the fortifications but the hook bounced against the air. At first it appeared as if the walls have a roof over them, a roof made of some transparent material, but this appears not to be so, for the metal hook makes no sound whatsoever while bouncing against it. I realize now it is a spell that keeps me from getting out. No other door exist apart from the gate I came in through, but where it once stood lies but the iron wall now. The front yard of the castle provides me with water and food for my horse. I still have enough supplies for myself, but I worry for Rar, my wolf. I should have never led the animals in. <BR><BR>There are few windows on the castle chambers and though the are surrounded by the garden, the wall keeps the light from getting in. The spirit of Eol is strong. I can almost feel his presence within the halls. But that only strengthens my faith that the weapon he once made lies within these walls and that its existence was more than a mere legend. I trust it must be hidden here, for apart from the riddle that I have discovered in the ancient scripts kept in Gondor, there were no other indications of its location. The riddle led me to this place. I hope it will not bury me here.
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby Zwiveliere » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:37 pm

“A street after a street, after another narrow street and still no sign of it. But I could not have been mistaken. It must be here”, thought Saurian to herself pacing nervously, gazing left and right, her eyes scaning every step of the way. The strangest sercomstance brought her to the fair city of the Rohirrim two days after the first day of spring, and she haddn’t stopped looking ever since, even her dreams were haunted by it. By the white stone.<BR><BR>After a long and warm summer in the havens, her heart first started longing for the company of her dearest friend, still it was not before the early winter that she set foot on the road. After countless days of journey, she finaly reached the forest by the lonely Sea of Rhun, and in the woods hidden, her friends dwellings. Alas, she hadn’t found her there. The old Red Halls were altogether abandoned, and looking for clues, Saurian found her friends journal. It’s final pages were dated two years before that time, and told of great quest her friend was about to begin, but of direction it said only this:<BR><BR>‘From the white stone found<BR>where the noblest of steeds ride’<BR><BR>so she headed to Edoras. Still no man and no path yet lead her neither to her friend nor to a white stone.<BR><BR>More long hours Saurian walked the streets, and grew more tired and weary. Finaly she went back to the hospitality of the King’s castle, for being a high elf, she was his dear guest. It was that night that she decided to leave for the Elf-kingdom of Greenwood the Great, for there dwelled the kinsmen of her friend, who may have some tiddings of her misterious quest. Those thoughts led Saurian to her uneasy sleep.<BR><BR>In the morning, the King was very sad to her of her decision, for in the days that she spent in his home, they have become great friends.<BR><BR>“Come”, he said at last, “if you must go, you will leave my home with the most precious gift I have to offer. You will choose a steed for yourself, among the steeds of my own stables, to carry you on your journey.” And he himself pointed to the horses of the purest race, then left her to choose as her heart desired. She walked slowly through the stables, and after awhile walked out leading a young horse as white as the snow upon a mountain top. He walked behind her, tall, proud and strong. <BR><BR> “He will carry you for many days without rest,” the King said, “and by speed he is unchalenged by many. A white steed he is, yet if the Moon is high and unclouded, you will see him glittering in blue. Give him a name of your own choosing.”<BR>"Then, from this day forward, he will be called Ithilmir, the Moon-jewel. I thank you deeply."<BR><BR>She led the animal to the horse-pond, and stood aside watching, when her thoughts were suddenly taken from his beauty. For she saw the watter ran out of a white stone. When she looked closer, she saw two lines of small elven runes carved just near the bootom rim of the stone. The inscription said:<BR><BR>‘To the south eye with which<BR>one great friend looks upon the other’
Zwiveliere
Ranger of the North

Postby Nalatarigelle » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:33 pm

Day 6th<BR><BR>I was awoken by Rar’s growling. I ran into the garden to realize it was still nighttime, for from the inside of the castle I cannot discern whether it is daylight or not. I found Rar in the courtyard by the spring which filled the center of the beautiful garden embellished with groups of beeches and elms, all covered in shades of the moonlight which found its way over the iron walls and into the yard. <BR><BR>For a moment I had forgotten why I had come out into the garden in the first place but Rar’s fresh growling brought it back and I approached him to find him holding a dead mouse in his jaws. He swallowed the mouse in a single gulp. <BR><BR>How could have that creature survived here? And for how long was it there? Could it be that it crawled in here only recently? Perhaps there is some passage that is also the entrance? Or did it just sneak in when we did, before the gate closed it self permanently? It could be that animals or even many other creatures were free to cross the threshold and leave the halls at their own desire before we have entered. There is no evidence of any other living creature trapped in here with us. Or at least none that I am aware of. But the gate was open when he approached it. Was the castle under the influence of the spell at that time or did the spell befall us after entering? If the mouse entered before we did this must have been its habitat. Perhaps it fed on the numerous scrolls of paper kept inside of the castle. <BR><BR>I have spent many hours going through the scripts, many of which have been considered lost, some even forbidden. I have discovered that some were written in invisible ink and that their contents can only be seen when taken over candlelight. No names are ever mentioned, merely some initials but I cannot discern who do they belong to. There are many notes on battles and the movings of the Elves. They appear to have been written by the hand of an Elf Lord, and my presumption is that they belong to Eol. There is still no mention of the bow. <BR>
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby Nalatarigelle » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:35 pm

(double post, sorry)
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby Zwiveliere » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:16 pm

Saurian stared at the inscription, not believing her eyes. She fingered the runes, gently, as if to make sure they exist, when a shadow fell over the stone. The King was standing behind her.<BR><BR>“Will you not ride it, dear friend? See if you would get along well?” he said with a smile.<BR>“I will ride it, but I am no longer certain of where my road should lead. Tell me, what is this stone?”<BR>“That is an odd question, indeed. I can’t say. I believe it stood here in the days of my great-grandfathers, maybe even before their time. I’d say that every horse that ever belonged to any of the Kings of Rohan drank it’s water. Why would such a thing be of interest to you, if I may ask?”<BR>“That I will not answer now. But you must tell me, you know of this inscription?” she pointed to the runes.<BR>“Yes, I do. It’s a riddle, as ancient as the stone, I would say, or older. I child’s game, those who read it chose to believe. My heart tells me it’s but a part of a greater tale, that concerns Rohan very little, and therefore, it is no bussines of mine.”<BR>“I’m affraid it is my bussines to try and follow it if I can, and if I am right, a long road is ahead of me. But discovering this inscription, I must ask for your hospitality again. At least until I solve it.”<BR>“You will be the guest of my house for as long as your heart desires and your fate demands. We will go back to the castle now.”<BR><BR> The King called for a boy to take Ithilmir, the Moon-jewel, back to the stables, and led Saurian back to the castle. After a meal, they sat together by the fire in her chambers.<BR>They pondered long upon the riddle-verse. Saurian was muttering to herself: “...with which one great friend looks upon the other... the south eye... the south eye of one of the friends... great friends...” At first she thought that ‘the great friends’ must be two tall towers or mountaintops, one laid south from the other, but couldn’t find any that would mach such a description. Not more than an hour after nightfall, they went to sleep not coming any closer to the solution of the problem. <BR><BR>The next morning Saurian was having breakfast with the King and his family, when a messanger burst into the chamber and almost fell before the King, such was his haste. The King himself helped him to his feet, and still holding him firmly, asked of the news he was carrying. Saurian was not much interested in the works of men, and went on with her morning meal, when a part of what the messanger was saying reached her ears. She heard him say: ”...on the Great River, over where it is closest to the Greenwood the Great is where...” <BR>
Zwiveliere
Ranger of the North

Postby Zwiveliere » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:20 pm

Zwiveliere
Ranger of the North

Postby Zwiveliere » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:25 pm

Sorry, it's these errors...
Zwiveliere
Ranger of the North

Postby gwaedh » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:11 pm

"Ingalen, the king wants to see you, swiftly!" A herald brought an urgent message to Ingalen, who was training in the battle hall with his friend, Anborn. Ingalen passed his sword to his friend, "I have to see the king, wait for me, I'll be back soon." "Nay, I can see that the king wants you urgently, perhaps an important errand for you. Now go and wait for me not. I'll continue my work at the fifth gate." Anborn said.<BR><BR> "Alright my friend," without much hesitation, he quicken his paces to the house of stone. The herald waited outside with the door-wardens. He made his way through the long and empty passage, the door in front was opened, he could see the king. The king was not sitting on his throne, but pacing back and forth, something was troubling him deeply.<BR><BR> "Hail King Denethor, Ingalen at your service," he kneeled before the king. The king stopped in front of him, "Stand up my trustworthy knight. Evil has befallen this city, we discovered a spy in our kingdom, yet he was not executed. He managed to escaped without our acknowledgement, worse still he stole our important parchments. To carry out these parchments without any of our guardmen's doubt, he must be a people of our own, an internal spy!" The king continued, a foreboding note in his voice, "Alas, the parchment stolen away was not any other ancient lores but our very own defence records! Minas Tirith's defence is vulnerable now to the enemy! The records hold the structure of our city, detailed roads, hidden paths, gateway and including Minas Tirith's seven levels defence, was documented!<BR><BR> The king fell back to his seat, Ingalen now perceived the danger of Minas Tirith, "Then we must capture this spy, and retrieve our scrolls. When did he escaped? Who was he, as he was someone in our kingdom?"<BR><BR> "The spy was Durlang, one of our loremasters! He slipped out of city yesternight, late it was, riding one of our horses. And we found out in the second hour of the day that our parchments were missing, along with him.<BR><BR> "I summoned you to me, Ingalen, for I have a task for you. You must seize the spy and bring him together with the parchments back to Minas Tirith. Take along with you a few fighting men and horses that will endure long journeys. I can't issue many for there were still walls and gates to defend. <BR><BR> "You are skilled in battles and learned in lores, you are the right man for this errand, go forth and let me down not!"<BR><BR> Ingalen took the king's orders and bowed low, "I'm glad to have your trust, Lord. I will accomplish my task and bring back both the spy and the parchments."
gwaedh
Rider of the Mark

Postby Nalatarigelle » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:07 am

Day 7th<BR><BR>Elvish style of building could produce nothing nobler than what is now most definately the dwelling place of Eol the Dark Elf. There was an air of grandeur in it that struck you with awe, and rivalled the beauties of the fairest Elvish dwellings in Middle Earth, and it was commodiuos within even though its walls were ever covered with a veil of darkness. <BR><BR>Glorious libraries filled the tall walls of the chambers, various scrolls and parchments neatly folded and arranged. This is the seventh day I am wondering through the numerous corridors and passageways and they seem as if without an ending, for each day I discover a novelty. <BR><BR>I have spent many wake hours last night for the air in the chambers seems to have grown denser in the last day, as if perfumed from a hidden censer consealed so I would not notice it. The scent drove me to undertake a final examination of the castle’s largest and central chamber, to try and discover this what now appeared to be a vessel perfuming the air. My pursuit was in vain for I discerned nothing and I was ready to finally fall asleep when I observed a dark red curtain right across me which I was certain had not been there before for it could not go unseen. <BR><BR>Behind it, a tiny vessel composed of some peculiar metal, resistant to heat, and in it, the ashes of a plant, I cannot discern which, that have obviously been burning until only a moment ago. I lifted the vessel to realize that there is an engraving upon it. A bow and arrow! An obvious sign I have located the legendary arc of Eol! That magnificent weapon he transferred all of his sorcery and strength into, his malice and desire to rule but also his Elvish graciousness, gallantry and dignity, the stateliness and decorum only an Elf of his power and nobility could possess. A bow the strip of which is made of black wood engraved with ancient lore wriiten in the forgotten tongue of the Elves and the string joining its two ends into an arc - a lock of hair taken from his wife’s head. And seven arrows to go with it, seven arrows that can never be broken or destroyed, nor ruined by time, arrows that can only be touched by the hand of an Elf, arrows adorned with the feathers taken from the tail of the Phoenix, an ancient bird no longer existing in the lands of Middle Earth.<BR><BR>And now, a testimony of its existence, here in my hands!<BR>
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby Zwiveliere » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:23 pm

Saurian froze in her seat. The words echoed in her mind, and in a blink of an eye everything seemed clear. She exused herself hastly, and rushed out of the room.<BR><BR>An hour later a young girl shyly walked into the library. Saurian was sitting over a map spread on one of the tables, lost in thought. Girls pace was soundless, and Saurian was strtled when she spoke.<BR><BR>“Forgive me, Lady. My father sent me to see if you were all right, and in need of anything.” <BR><BR>“Oh, it is you, child” she said and smiled. ”Thank the King for his consern. Yet only those good in solving riddles would be of any service to me now.” Kings daughter bowed and left her alone to ponder upon words and maps.<BR><BR>Some time later, Saurian walked into Kings chambers with a smile on her face and a gleam in her eye. <BR><BR>“Forgive me, my Lord, for I disturb you in this late hour. I solved it. I solved the riddle, and though I’m certain that this is but one piece of an entire verse, I’m glad, for I now know where my road shall lead.” She held the parchment in front of him. “You see? The Great River and Greenwood the Great! Two great friends!”<BR><BR>The King looked at her in amazement. “But... but how...?”<BR><BR>“The messanger that came to you this morning. I didn’t pay much attention for I was lost in my own thought, but these words I heard him say ‘...on the Great River, over where it is closest to the Greenwood the Great is where...’. Now you can surely see.”<BR><BR>“But the rest of it? An eye was mentioned, if I’m not mistaken. An eye of the great friend...” <BR><BR>“You are by no means mistaken, but wait and you shall see. I ran imidiately to look at the maps in your library. At first I thought the eye that was mentioned must be a place upon a river from where one could see the trees of Mirkwood. Yet there are many such places, improbable as it may seem. And then I saw something I must have missed when I first looked at the maps. Now you must recall that the riddle said ‘south eye’. I thought it most unusual at first, but then I saw there was a place called South Undeep that lays upon Anduin the Great. If one would be riding north from Rohan following Anduin, he would be standing there when he would see the Greenwood for the first time! I have found the southern eye!”<BR><BR>The first light of dawn found Saurian at the gates of Edoras. The town was still asleep, and the king alone stood by her side. Not one of them uttered a word, yet they gazed at each other, and their eyes said all there was to say. Finally, she mounted Ithilmir, the Moon jewel, the great gift of Edoras, rode away from the town, and when she was out of sight, the King turned and went for the castle, and the guards closed the gates behind him.<BR>
Zwiveliere
Ranger of the North

Postby gwaedh » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:03 pm

The sun was hidden within the thick clouds when Ingalen has appointed all his men. He has selected four men to go with him. He himself wore a bright silvery mail covered under his dark green cloak, his sword, Gilluin, was girded comfortably by his waist. He told his men, "I don't think we need heavy gears for this task, for our main mission is to capture the spy only and bring back the king's possessions. But we still have to be wary of the enemy."<BR> <BR> The horn blew, and its sounds has echoed through the mountains. "Time for us to leave," he mounted his horse and led his men to the front gate. The guards unbarred the gates when he saw Ingalen with his men. They took off once the gates were opened, swift as the wind they rode down the road. Far ahead, they could see Osgiliath looming before the dreadful Mountains of Shadows. Yet their way was not the road taken He had gathered news from the guards on watch at the towers yesterday while the men were busy packing up before they took leave. Durlang has made his way to the west, according to one of the man who was on the west-watch. Isengard came first to his mind upon the word 'west'. "He is one of the white wizard's follower, why would he do that?" thought Ingalen.<BR><BR> They continued their trail north-west, treading on the fields of Anórien. Many leagues has passed when the day has reached noon. "The weather ain't fair today, perhaps it might even rain in the evening. That's no good, for we'll have a big chance of losing our trail, we have to press on." So by the words of Ingalen, they travelled further that day, not resting ere the sun diminished in the west. Before nightfall, they decided to camp nearby a small river, which ran south-east to meet Anduin. <BR><BR> The next day, before the sun rises, the started off again. This time they veered west. The second day was like the first, nothing much happened. There were no enemies behind them nor in front. On the third day, they have already reached the borders of Rohan. Ingalen looked beyond the plains, then a moving figure caught his attention. His men saw it too, they were ready to draw swords if the approaching one was enemy. As the figure came closer, they were surprise to see that its a lady of the fair elves, there was no more behind, she's alone.
gwaedh
Rider of the Mark

Postby Nalatarigelle » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:09 am

Day 8th<BR><BR>My entrapement inside of this castle is starting to prove it has damaging consequences. Fot it has been eight days I am wondering through these halls and still I have not reached my goal. Though some testimonies survive and lead me to conclude the arc does exist I am still as far from finding it as I was when I first set off on this quest. <BR><BR>It has been two years since I have last seen the Red Halls, my home. I have travelled many leagues in searc of the bow, going where the riddle has been taking me and now I am inside of this place, but for the first time during this whole journey there appears to be no more clues as to where I might go in further search of the artefact. <BR><BR>I am not certain whether my entrapement here is the last phase of the riddle or do I have still have leagues to travel. <BR><BR>I have lost hope. There appears to be no way out of this castle. The spell is strong and there are no vivid means of breaking it. <BR><BR>I can only hope now my friend Zwiveliere will find me though I have no means of sending her a message. Now I can only rely on her to find the riddle, and like me, follow it here. <BR>
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby Mirai » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:00 pm

Mirai frowned.<BR>It had been already two days, and still her search of the castle had so far come up fruitless. It was not so much the search that bothered her, but more so the fact that she was trapped. She had noticed the spell too late, only seconds after the small stone door had rolled to a close. She had resolved not to give her entrapment too much thought, but as the sun set on the second day, she had already begun to worry.<BR><BR>Whatever magic it was holding this fortress and its inhabitants, it was powerful. Mirai, even with all her training, had yet to break its barriers, or even to discover the nature of the spell itself and where it was anchored. Eol, it seemed, had been a man clever at much more than just smithing. <BR><BR>There had been many traps and pitfalls in the dungeons from whence Mirai first emerged, probably in order to secure those intruders that meant to enter through the secret passageway. She had hunted around the dungeons first, looking for any knob, protrusion, any brick that looked suspicious, that looked like it might lead to a secret chamber where the fabled artifact was hidden. She had scoured every nook and cranny of the lower levels, and there was nothing. Not even the hint of concealing magic!<BR><BR>Mirai had moved on to search the remainder of the castle. She was now seated on the steps leading to the upper levels, taking a bit of a rest trying to think her way through the situation. She regretting not being her dearest friend and mate, Lantis, with her. She thought back to their earlier conversations.<BR><BR>Lantis was a descendant of Eol through Maeglin's illegitimate child, and though the blood of the Dark Elf had been long diluted throughout the ages, every son in of the line knew of the tale of their forefather. Most had chosen to forget their lineage, for Eol's name was tarnished with the murder of wife, and very few of his secrets passed down. The tale of the existence of the Arc of Eol was only a legend told from father to son. Its place of rest was unknown, though it was said that Eol himself left riddles. His descendants, however, did know where his fortress rested. And so Mirai and Lantis, had thought to begin there.<BR><BR>Mirai had departed first, for she was light and her horse was swift, and Lantis claimed that he had important materials to gather in his home in the Mirkwood. Lantis should almost be upon the castle by now, and although Mirai longed for his prescence, she did not wish for him to become trapped with her.<BR><BR>She had left her sigil on the back entrance, as Lantis had told her she would find, and she had not completed it, meaning she was still inside. She hoped that when Lantis found it, he would know that she would be held inside and take precaution, perhaps, to rescue her.<BR><BR>Mirai sighed, her hand dropping from her lap and onto the stone below. How odd, Mirai noted, the dust that had settled here seemed to be disturbed as if someone had been here before her. <BR><BR>Suddenly Mirai was alert. Her hand strayed to the handle of the hook she used a weapon. She strained her Elven hearing, searching for a sound from whatever, or whoever it was that had been here before her. As sure as she expected them, there were footsteps on the stair beneath her. They were light and airy, the sound of them very faint.<BR><BR>Mirai's eyes widened. There was another elf in the castle!
Mirai
Shield Bearer

Postby Zwiveliere » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:31 pm

After leaving the gates of Edoras, Saurian rode following Snowbourn. The weather was kind, the sun was shining high over the plains of Rohan and the stream was singing by her side. Here and there she saw ridders, proud Rohirrim on their noble steeds, but they had no interest in her. Those she met would let her pass, for they knew the horse under her, and they took it for a token of the friendship of the King. <BR><BR>Through the dusk and the coming of the night Saurian rode on, and it was in the fourth hour after nightfall that she slowed the steed’s pace, looking for a place to camp. There was none, for the Snowburn stream ran amid the plain, and there was not a tree or a rock nigh it to lean against. That night she slept under the clear sky, and the stars shone bright above her. Her friend’s face was before her eyes, until the sleep took her. The morning of the next day was cold, and Saurian woke up with dew on her face. <BR><BR>Around noon of the second day, she saw ridders approaching from the east, and at first she held them for the ridders of the Mark, yet as they drew near, her elven-sight made her aware of their grey eyes and their black hair. She eased her horse.<BR><BR>“Minas Tirith,” she muttered, and rode forth to meet them.<BR><BR>Hope arose in her that they might have some tidings of her friend. Likasta had to find the riddle someplace, and Saurian percieved that it was most probably among the parchments in the libraries of Minas Tirith. And she had no doubt that these were the men of its Citadel.<BR><BR>“Hail, Lords of Gondor,” she said, watching them intently in search of a sign that might reveal their errand. “I am in haste, and I must speak with your leader. Let him come forth!” <BR><BR>“Nothing can be hidden from the elven eyes,” said one of them as he rode to meet her. “From Gondor we ride indeed. I am Ingalen, melady, and me and my men are hunting down a spy.” <BR><BR>“A spy?!” she cried. She disliked the thought of Likasta being hunted down, were it by men, or by any other. “Then your haste is no less then mine.” she said. “Is the name of this spy known to you?” <BR><BR>“Indeed it is, melady, but I shall not reveil it ere you give me your name.”<BR><BR>“Saurian is my name, Lord Ingalen of Gondor. Now answer my question before your trail cools off.”<BR><BR>“Durlang,” he said, and she sighed with relief.
Zwiveliere
Ranger of the North

Postby Nalatarigelle » Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:36 am

Likasta was wandering the corridors once again, but it all seemed in vain for her Elven eyes, though able to see far and pierce into the darkness, could not discern all of the outlines inside of these passages. She had no light, and only a few chambers had windows, though the light was dim even there, for the tall wall on the outside kept the sunlight from reaching these halls. The walls held no torches or candles and she wondered how its inhabitants ever moved through this darkness. <BR><BR>She finally decided to go in search for a light for she knew no Elf could move through that kind of dark without a candle to guide his way. The castle must hold some means of lighting and she was determined to find it. She took Rar and headed for the top floor. The marble staircase led to the upper floor, to a wide chamber that was somewhat lit from the staircase which led some light in, but only to the front part. As she climbed she thought she heard someone or something move upstairs and she hurried inside to hear a door close in font of her. She opened it only to find herself facing the inpenetrable dark and she heard Rar growling and running through the corridor. Fear painted her face and she was unsure wheather to follow or not, the unkonw facing her, right in front. But she decided to pursuit it, for that may well be her chance of learning where the bow is hidden as well as how to leave this castle, for whoever it was that was in the hall had to have gotten in after she did, and he might lead her outside again. Light footsteps were heard running just in front of Rar, with a kind of lightness only an Elf could posses. Now driven by hope when she realized it was a member of her kind, she followed him, his growling leading the way, her hearing sharpened when faced with this kind of darkness. The only thing she was able to discern was the brightness of Rar’s fangs as he snarled at a figure in a corner, clad in an Elvish manner.<BR><BR>She approached them, taking Rar away from the Elf that stood in front of her. “For the love of Middle-earth tell me how you got here and what your name is! I am Likasta of Mirkwood” she bowed her head. <BR><BR>She would still not menton the bow till she lerned what this Elf was doing here and what were her ties to the castle and to the legend of the bow.<BR>
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby Mirai » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:47 pm

Before Mirai could digest the information of another elf in the castle, she heard a growling the quick patter of some four-legged creature. Obeying her first instinct, Mirai leapt to her feet and dashed through the first door that came to her. Whatever it was that was following her, be it a beast of the flesh or spirit, was quick. Mirai dashed down dark, shadowed corridors, not daring even a tiny mage-light. Not far behind her she could hear the growling of the creature, and behind the that the other Elf's running.<BR><BR>Mirai came up with a start to a dead end; the long corridor had led to a dark room, with only a narrow slit to serve as a window. Mirai stopped, turned around and drew her hook, prepared to fend off the creature. It did not attack her, but simply stood at her feet, growling, perhaps waiting for its master to catch up. <BR><BR>Another Elf, ran into the room not too far behind the snarling wolf. The other, probably an Elf maiden from what Mirai saw of the clothing and the figure, drew the wolf back and introduced herself. <BR><BR>“For the love of Middle-earth tell me how you got here and what your name is! I am Likasta of Mirkwood." The Elf inclined her head in Mirai's direction as polite greeting.<BR><BR>Mirai let out a silent breath of relief. Likasta, as she was called, was for the moment, not hostile. <BR><BR>"My name is Mirai Caranedhel," Mirai smiled, opening her palm where a small flame formed that lit the room so two Elves could regard each other. "I am from Lothlorien." Likasta had not mentioned her purpose, and so Mirai had seen no reason to mention the bow either, though she was sure they were both seeking it. But to what intent? <BR><BR>"How long have you been here?" Mirai asked. She eyed the Elf opposite her a bit suspiciously, what connection did she have with the Arc of Eol? If she was from Mirkwood, then she would know of Lantis. Mirai waited patiently for an answer to her question.
Mirai
Shield Bearer

Postby Nalatarigelle » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:59 am

"My name is Mirai Caranedhel," the Elf said, smiling, and she formaed a flame in the plam of her hand, the sight of which drove Likasta to conclude the Elf must be from Lothlorien, and as this though passed through her mind, the Elf uttered just that. In her eyes a shadow of suspicion regarding the wolf, still at their feet, and the intention that drove Likasta into the castle. "How long have you been here?" she finally asked. <BR><BR>“This is my ninth day inside of this castle. I am seeking a way to leave it, but there seem to be no passages that lead on the outside.” Likasta said, still reluctant to mention why was she there in the first place. <BR><BR>“Come. Lets leave this darkness, for there is a garden in front, lit by the sunlight.”<BR><BR>“A garden?” Mirai asked in amazement. “Well is there no way of escaping through the garden, over the walls?”<BR><BR>“No. I shall show you.” Likasta took her through the corridors and down the staircase, through the passages and into the central hall, somewhat lit by the daylight coming from the garden. The gate to do yard was wide open, letting beams of sunlight in. They stepped out, into a wonderful garden, adorned with variuos flowers, and a spring gushed out of the rocks in the very center. High treetops were well hidden by the tall iron wall. Likasta’s horse lifted his head and neighed, shaking his mane as means of regarding them. Likasta led Mirai to the wall. “Try throwing something over it.” Mirai looked in wonder, for she understood not the purpose of throwing something out, but she did as the Elf said. She picked up a small rock from the ground and flinged it in the air. The rock bounced back falling to the gruond. The Elf was now even more surprised.<BR><BR>“Some kind of shield lies on the top of all of this, it lets the air flow in, but will not let anything out.” Likasta was silent for a moment. “How did you enter?” she finally asked, and deciding it was about time to clear things out, continued: “And what were you doing here?”<BR><BR>
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby Mirai » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:46 pm

Mirai marveled at the complexity of the spell that was shielding the castle. This was no ordinary barrier, this was specially and painstakingly constructed by someone well-trained who knew what he was doing. It seemed that even if Eol was thousands of years gone, his shadow was still cast on Middle Earth in the Third Age. <BR><BR>"How did you enter?" She heard Likasta ask, interrupting her thoughts. "And what were you doing here?"<BR><BR>Mirai looked up from her musings, temporarily banishing from her mind the thought of the magic of this place. "I suppose," she began slowly, "I could ask you the same question, Likasta of Mirkwood." She looked at the elf for a moment, a glint of suspicion in her eye, but she rested her fears. Although this elf was not completely to be trusted, she did not mean Mirai any harm.<BR><BR>"I do think," Mirai said evenly, "that we are both here for the same reason. And whether or not we have the means to, we will not leave without the treasure that we seek."<BR><BR>Likasta's expression told her nothing except that she too, now knew that someone else was after the Arc of Eol.<BR><BR>"As for my entrance, there is secret passage leading to the dungeons of the castle, for Eol was clever and always left at least two ways out of his stronghold."<BR><BR>Likasta seemed surprised that there would be another known way into the castle. Had not Eol sealed all the secret passages?<BR><BR>"There is a strong spell on that door," Mirai continued, looking upwards towards the sky and the invisible shield that kept her within the castle, "and only those speaking the proper word may pass. It has been a secret passed only Eol's son, Maeglin, and to those few from his line.<BR><BR>"But I speak enough of myself. What is your purpose here Likasta of Mirkwood? How did you enter, if not by the dungeons? What have you found of Eol and his legacy?"
Mirai
Shield Bearer

Postby Nalatarigelle » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:48 am

The Elf’s words were a mere corroboration of what she had alreay known, the moment she first saw the Elf in the castle. She too was seeking the bow. This encouter could bring bad fortune as well as the good, for she could help her trace down the Arc, but who would finally take it then? There were the two of them, both here for the same purpose, but if they would ever reach the lands outside of the castle safly, carrying the bow out as well, who would claim possesion of it? They would have to separate, and they could not split the bow. Likasta knew she had spent years looking for it, riding many leagues following the trace the riddle had left, now facing the spells and the darkness that too were Eol’s legacy. She would not give it to someone. But for now, they had no choice, they were trapped together, and she had to tell the truth and join Mirai in further search.<BR><BR>“I came in through the mane gate.”<BR><BR>Mirai seemed surprised at these words for she well knew the gate was hidden from the eyes of the creatures that would merely pass by it.<BR><BR>“But how did you find it?”<BR><BR>“I followed a riddle.” Mirai was silent looking at the Elf, partly confused for she knew nothing of this. “Indeed. Eol had left a riddle, now kept in the secret libraries of the towers of Gondor. That was all I found. A riddle and a drawing of the Arc itself. Lengends told me the rest. In the scripts I have found, there were only the beginning lines of the riddle, and that led me to Edoras. “From the white stone, / Where the noblest of steeds ride” In Edoras I have found an ancient white stone that revealed the next lines, and so, I followed the leads, one by one. I have spent two and a half years searching for it, for my dwellings are the Red Halls of Rhun, though I come from Mirkwood. The last lead led me here, and as I entered the Gate closed itself. That was nine days ago.”<BR><BR>Mirai was silent, awaiting Likasta to answer her second question.<BR><BR>“I have found nothing. Two days ago a strange smell brought me to a small vessel with an engraving of the Arc upon it. But exept for that, my search was in vain. And you speak of Eol’s descendants and secret passwords. Is that how you entered? Are you one of his successors? Tell me what you know of the Arc and how you acquired this knowledge. And what do you suggest we de now?”<BR>
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby Nalatarigelle » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:52 am

The Elf’s words were a mere corroboration of what she had alreay known, the moment she first saw the Elf in the castle. She too was seeking the bow. This encouter could bring bad fortune as well as the good, for she could help her trace down the Arc, but who would finally take it then? There were the two of them, both here for the same purpose, but if they would ever reach the lands outside of the castle safly, carrying the bow out as well, who would claim possesion of it? They would have to separate, and they could not split the bow. Likasta knew she had spent years looking for it, riding many leagues following the trace the riddle had left, now facing the spells and the darkness that too were Eol’s legacy. She would not give it to someone. But for now, they had no choice, they were trapped together, and she had to tell the truth and join Mirai in further search.<BR><BR>“I came in through the mane gate.”<BR><BR>Mirai seemed surprised at these words for she well knew the gate was hidden from the eyes of the creatures that would merely pass by it.<BR><BR>“But how did you find it?”<BR><BR>“I followed a riddle.” Mirai was silent looking at the Elf, partly confused for she knew nothing of this. “Indeed. Eol had left a riddle, now kept in the secret libraries of the towers of Gondor. That was all I found. A riddle and a drawing of the Arc itself. Lengends told me the rest. In the scripts I have found, there were only the beginning lines of the riddle, and that led me to Edoras. “From the white stone, / Where the noblest of steeds ride” In Edoras I have found an ancient white stone that revealed the next lines, and so, I followed the leads, one by one. I have spent two and a half years searching for it, for my dwellings are the Red Halls of Rhun, though I come from Mirkwood. The last lead led me here, and as I entered the Gate closed itself. That was nine days ago.”<BR><BR>Mirai was silent, awaiting Likasta to answer her second question.<BR><BR>“I have found nothing. Two days ago a strange smell brought me to a small vessel with an engraving of the Arc upon it. But exept for that, my search was in vain. And you speak of Eol’s descendants and secret passwords. Is that how you entered? Are you one of his successors? Tell me what you know of the Arc and how you acquired this knowledge. And what do you suggest we de now?”<BR>
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby gwaedh » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:17 pm

Ingalen has little doubt in Saurian, for the elves are known for their nobility and truthful manner. Yet elves were also known to them people who do not meddle in affairs of other free peoples in Middle-earth. Seldom would they travel far, not to mention even the lands of men in Rohan. “May I wonder why an elven lady like you would come to the open lands, more than ever near the shadows of the east?” asked Ingalen, prompted by his thought.<BR><BR> “I do not ride forth to foreign lands without purpose. I am here, for I need to find someone. These indeed are the lands near the brim of darkness, yet my matter is of no concern with the evils on work in Mordor,” said Saurian. <BR><BR> “Well, we would like to have a talk with you, if it’s not hindering your path.” Perhaps after a few talks, he might gain some news about Durlang.<BR><BR> “Alright, but we could not tarry long in these open lands,” Perhaps after a few talks, she might gain information about Likasta.<BR><BR> “Have you perchance, seen anyone on your journey from Rohan? Most probably will be the spy we’re pursuing,” he asked, hoping keenly for traces of Durlang.<BR><BR> “But tell me first, why were you hunting down a spy?” <BR> He was not sure to tell Saurian the whole truth, “The spy stole some of the parchments which belonged to the King and the people of Gondor. We’re on his trail, to seize him and take back our belongings.”<BR><BR> “Parchments?” These words caught Saurian in interest. But she knew also they had been stolen, “Why and to where were they stolen?”<BR><BR> “I think Durlang is heading for west to Isengard. I suspect he is one of the white wizard’s followers,” said Ingalen, taking caution not to slip a word about the scroll’s main content. He did not wish to tell any outlanders about this, as it concerns greatly the security of Minas Tirith and the safety of its people.<BR><BR>
gwaedh
Rider of the Mark

Postby Mirai » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:35 pm

Mirai frowned. A riddle to the Arc? She had heard nothing of the sort from Lantis. Perhaps that was something that even Eol's own traitorous son had not found out.<BR><BR>“And you speak of Eol’s descendants and secret passwords. Is that how you entered?" Mirai looked deep into the eyes of Likasta, who was also supsicious. "Are you one of his successors? Tell me what you know of the Arc and how you acquired this knowledge. And what do you suggest we de now?"<BR><BR>"That is a lot of questions," Mirai answered, still not sure of how much she should give away. Lantis had never been particularly close to anyone in Mirkwood since he killed his own father, and there was certainly still a lot of animosity amongst the peoples of King Thranduil against the cursed descendants of Eol. Mirai sighed. It seemed that she was going to be stucked with Likasta a long time, so she might as well tell as much as she could, since Likasta had already told her much about herself.<BR><BR>"First of all, good elf, I am not a descendant of Eol." Mirai shook her raven-haired head. Though she was of full Avari descent, and none of her forefathers or mothers saw the fabled light of the Trees of Valinor, she was not of the dark line of the Dark Elf. "My partner, Lantis, is the the last of Eol's line. The story of the Arc has been passed down through Eol's descendants, from father to son." Mirai raised her hand as Likasta opened her mouth, stalling her question. "Yes, you may know Lantis for he is from Mirkwood as well, though he and his deceased father were not well loved among our brethen in that great forest.<BR><BR>"As for the Arc, Lantis was coming to seek it. I was accompanying him, but he went to back to his home in Mirkwood for some needed supplies. I do not know exactly what he spoke of, but perhaps some clue to unraveling our escape. I have only heard what Lantis has told me of the Arc. He says that although it is powerful, it can be used for great evil, and should not fall into the wrong hands. I came first, ahread, to scout out the castle and any possible dangers. I do not know what he intends to do with the bow once he finds it."<BR><BR>"You still haven't told me how you came in," Likasta replied when Mirai finished speaking. She had her arms folded, prepared to hear a rather long tale.<BR><BR>"There is a password that opens one of the secret passages to the dungeons. It is a simple Quenyan word, but it is of no use to us now, for that entrance was sealed shut as soon as I entered, probably much in the way that the main gate closed and trapped you. The location of that particular passage was, like the rest of the tales of Eol's line, passed on from father to son. That is all I know." <BR><BR>Mirai sighed, holding out her hands in a gesture of helplessness. "As for escaping this place, I do not know. I have studied magic, but the spells guarding this place are very mysterious. I have not seen the like of them performed before. They have held up a very long time, they are very powerful. I hope that Lantis does not become similarly entrapped when he arrives, for he may be our only hope of getting out. Tell me everything you know of this barrier, and perhaps we can think of something, now that there are two of us here."
Mirai
Shield Bearer

Postby Nalatarigelle » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:54 am

<BR><BR><BR><BR><b>------------<u>THE END</u>------------</b>
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Postby Nalatarigelle » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:59 am

<BR><BR><b>Appendix A</b><BR><BR><BR><b>I <BR><BR>The Truth of Likasta’s Imprisonment</b><BR><BR>One sunny day, a carrier raven broke a window on its way into the castle. It was carrying a message from Saurian. It said: “Did I leave my bow there?” Likasta thought about it for a sec, and then scribbled “I’ll check” on the back. After [a series of weary yet unsuccessful attempts to tie the note back to the raven’s foot (yes, it was a foot, though pretty small) she stuffed it into its] beak. The bird tried to object, then frowned and without uttering a single peep, flew out the broken window. Offended at the bird’s insolence, Likasta went looking for the bow.<BR><BR><BR><b>II<BR><BR>The Tale of (the) Riddle</b><BR><BR>Likasta and Saurian decided to publish a book of poems. The deal was that Likasta would write the poems and Saurian would translate these and take them to publishers all over Middle-Earth. One of the first poems ever written was named </i>The Riddle</i>. It made no sense whatsoever. It was written in bad Sindarin. Saurian was supposed to translate it into all Middle-Earth languages. She found it exceedingly difficult to translate it into Quenyan. Unfortunately, due to one of her wretched fits of possessive-compulsive disorder followed by maniacal book-counting, she forgot all about the deal. And Quenyan. Frenetically counting the books on her shelves, three days later she came across Likasta’s manuscript of one badly written poem. It said: ”The Riddle”.<BR><BR>“12872, 12873, 12874… Oh, what is this?!? … ???… Darn!!! I’ve lost count!!!”<BR><BR>But she figured she might as well take a look at it. Sadly, due to her disorder, she took it for an encrypted message from Likasta and her poor mind developed the entire (story).<BR><BR><BR><b>III a<BR><BR>The Truth of Likasta’s Imprisonment (2)</b><BR><BR>A bow being Likasta’s family emblem, her castle was filled with bows. They were everywhere. Likasta wandered through the corridors unconsciously knocking at every single thing she came across. Tired, worn out and bored, fingers aching and mind bored, she tripped out she was in Eol’s castle. She figured Saurian had to be Eol, and the bow, naturally, his. Somewhere along the way she also forgot she ever had a wolf. The poor thing stood in the middle of the room, astounded at its master’s weird behaviour. While he watched her trying to get around him in fear, his eyes were: about blank. The strange beast she found in Eol’s castle caused her such distress she decided to soothe her nerves by making herself a nice, warm cup of tea.<BR><BR><BR><b>IV<BR><BR>The Truth about the King’s Stables</b><BR><BR>The deal required Saurian’s departure to Edoras where she would negotiate a set of arrangements with the Edoras Editors Incorporated. Sadly, this was not to be. She did head for Edoras, but not with this errand in mind. She figured she oughta save Likasta from the torment she was in (whatever that might be), and Edoras seemed as good a place as any to start from. Alas, the King had a huge library. with books.<BR><BR>“1,2,3…”
Nalatarigelle
Ranger of the North

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)