The War (a war Rp)(The good guys camp)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:34 pm

(Ok, this is the camp as I mainly envision it, I have left it fairly general, so free to fill in any details you might want. At this current time, I have not created a bad guys camp for those of you who wish to play on that side. So far I only know of one person who is currently writing on that side, but if more people play for that side and wish me to write up a camp I will.<BR><BR>This will start out a bit slow, as usual, until more people join, until then I will try to do a little npc roll play, if needed, but I hope to be able to leave it to you guys for the most part)<BR><BR>***<BR><BR>As you arrive at the main army you are directed to the main camp area to make your presence known and ready your men.<BR><BR>The camp is a large affair, situated on the edge of the forest. The majority of the tents and carts are inside the tree line with a scattering of habitation on the plain.<BR><BR>As you enter the camp you see off near the back rows upon rows of large pavilions and smaller tents for soldiers, off to the right of those stand rows of picket lines. A medium sized dark green pavilion with a red flag flying over it is told to you to be the Commanders tent. This is where the commander and chief of the combined forces lives and calls meetings for major offensives. He is said to be usually in there when there is not heated battle going on and is most often willing to listen to proposals and questions.<BR><BR>There is a huge open gully in the center of the camp littered with stumps were trees have been cut down to create the central square and parade grounds. Around this are positioned carts and tents and stands boasting the fine wears of any city. Peddlers seem to have been following the army hoping to sell the soldiers the things they miss.<BR><BR>There are many that sell drinks and food and many more that sell good luck charms and amulets. An apothecary, called Elebrin’s apothecary, has also taken up residence here and is treating the more minor injuries of the soldiers who decide they do not need to waste the surgeon’s time, selling many potions and medicines and treating cuts and gashes.<BR><BR>There is a constant drove of music filling the air and as you look about you see that a collection of soldiers have brought out their music and have started playing. A beaten flat area of dirt before them is serving as a dance floor for many as they play lively tunes.<BR><BR>The chuck wagons have set up shop not far from the soldier’s tents and are serving meals to anyone who comes by looking for one. While the food there is not always the best, you hear upon inquiry, its eatable and an army has to eat. But of course there are the many vendors that sell food and drink, the one recommended to you is a very large pavilion dominating a good third of one side of the parade ground, called the <i> "Bears Den" </i> .<BR>It is said that most of the leaders of the armies, officers, and a good assortment of mercenaries can be found there eating, rather than at the soldiers mess.<BR><BR>If you had an army you would have been directed to a small tent set up near the commanders where a sharp eyed soldier would right down your numbers and give you directions to a camp ground, on the fringes of the main camp to set up your armies tents.<BR><BR>Having done this you head back to the camp to dance, eat, drink, talk, meat others like you, or head straight out to the battle field…
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Astrophel » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:28 pm

Nemesis reporting for duety.<BR>* A single robed figure appeared wearing a long hoaded cloak that conceled various weapons. Trailing behind her was her horse Thunder, a pure black powerfull looking beast. The horse had no saddle and just seemed to follow Nemesis almost like a dog would follow its master. *<BR>I come alone for now, I have a small army waiting for my orders to follow. If it is wished I shall send for them and they should be here ere nightfalls or daybreak at the latest. I am a mercenary but I would like to join the good side for once, it would be a change of pace. I do not ask for pay, just a chance to do some good for once.
Astrophel
Shield Bearer

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:32 pm

The man behind the desk looked up as Nemesis entered.<BR><BR>"Very good," He said writing down her name and the size of her army, "You are one of the first to arrive here. The General wished me to extend his deepest gratitude to any who join the cause here"<BR><BR>He smiled nutrualy having given his speach then turned back to his book. He flipped a page and ran his finger down the side till he reached the first blank spot under a paragraph or so of writing.<BR><BR>"Alright, go ahead and bring in your army. Your camp ground will be the number one, to the south of the main camp, it is clearly marked," The man wrote a small number and a few letter in the blank and turned to Nemesis once more, "After you have situated yourselves, please feal free to explore the camp and join the army at the front when you are ready to do so, there are many skirmishes going on up and down the front line and there we are always in need of ambush parties in the woods, thankyou"
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Elbren » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:00 pm

Greetings and welcome to The Prancing Pony!<BR><BR>Please be sure and familiarise yourself with the Rules and Guidelines for this forum; namely, this must be grounded in Tolkien's Middle Earth and it should be a storyline RP..not an RPG.<BR><BR>
Elbren
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:07 pm

ah yes, hello, and welcome to my little Rp. If you could, I would like to refer you to the ooc of this thread. If you would scan that for a discussion much like this one I had there with a moderator, "Threadstalker" I believe, than if you still have a problem with this concept please post it there, and I'll do my best to explain this idea to your stisfaction, thankyou ^_^
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Astrophel » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:26 pm

I thank you greatly. I have read the occ and I think I understand it fairly well. The way I think about ( please correct me if it is totally wrong) is that it is almost a story that is being written with the different characters and what not. Each character has their own story in a way but interacts with the other characters.
Astrophel
Shield Bearer

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:16 pm

Oh your fine Astrophel, I was talking to Elbren, though thankyou for posting your bio.<BR><BR>ok, enough ooc talk here... ^_^
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Astrophel » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:08 pm

Number one it is, I shall collect my men and return at once. I shouldn't be too long, or atleast I hope.<BR>* Nemesis whistle a short whistle and Thunder trots up. Nemesis swings around while jumping in the air landing on Thunders back. Her hood falls back reveling her elven ears and midnight hair. She nodds to the man behind the desk, leans forward and speaks to Thunder in the elvish language and he soon gallops away.*
Astrophel
Shield Bearer

Postby Astrophel » Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:42 pm

*Nemesis returned to camp with roughly about 150 trailing behind her with her right handman Haidorniar,Hayden for short,riding beside her. As usual her hood was pulled low so all that was visible was her lips. They were late because of a small band of orcs but they were dealt with promptly. Nemesis hated orcs and her hand slide to her abdomen without thinking as she remember what had happened. Her mind slowly drifted back to that day...*
Astrophel
Shield Bearer

Postby Astalder » Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:36 pm

(@)<BR>The lone black figure rode ahead boldly, fearless. The thunder of 6000 footsteps echoing off the hills, birds flew into the calm air, disrupted by the violence of sound that came from the mass of men and horseflesh. The figure looked upon the black mob with his seemingly lifeless grey eyes, one third of a league away. They appeared to be a great mass of ants, black and fearsome, the largest he had ever been apart of. At times they seemed to gleam with fire and flames seem to lick up as the sunset gleamed upon armour, spear, sword, and bow. The flags of the various mercenary companies were stretched taught by the wind. He could see his troops flag, a great silver wolf’s head on a black background. At the very front of the army the generals flag blew, a great red snake wrapped around a pole, fangs gleaming, eyes fiery. That is what Arcanum regarded the general as, general Caltar reminded him of a snake. Tall and skinny, his eyes were a crimson red, the colour of blood. Long fingers were like claws; he even had what seemed like fangs, his canine teeth protruded in a serpentine manner. Caltar was hairless, and at the corners of his eyes, there seemed to be a hint of scales. His skin was as pale as a cloud on a clear day, he almost never ventured into the sunlight, always staying in the protection of an armoured wagon, pulled by six fine specimens of horseflesh. Even so, Arcanum knew Caltar was a man to be feared, he had seem him kill as casually as buttoning his shirts and what was more frightening was his strength. His small arms were capable of lifting things many times his own weight. At first sight he was a tall skinny man with piercing eyes, a presence not befitting his size, but when one saw the raw power beneath the weak frame, one could only fear. With him, always guarding him were six tall and very strong men, his own personal elite. They were the tanned men of Harad, long scimitars at their waist, scale mail upon their breasts. <BR><BR>Arcanum didn’t really care either way, sure Caltar was one cruel Son of an Orc, but Arcanum was here for the money, and maybe to retire somewhere in these parts one day, farm, raise a family as his parents, and their parents had done. His one desire, to settle down, but until that time however, Arcanum was a soldier for higher, leader of the fearsome Wolves, a unit whose purpose was to wreak havoc on the enemy in any way possible. Everyman was an excellent fighter, all had previously been in jail or in the mines, and essentially, expendable. One thing worried the large quiet man, he didn’t know anything about his general or the man who had hired them. He had been told that it was in the business interest of a mining company, something about using the land for mining and their own personal gain, which made sense to a point. He was not a studier of stones, but he was pretty sure there was nothing here of worth to mine, also, it didn’t really make sense economically either, the Iron Hills were a long ways from here, hundreds of leagues and this region was a constant war zone with two great powerhouses constantly fighting over it, also there were constant attacks by foul creatures, Orc’s as well as other creatures. He had heard rumours of black faceless beings that commanded armies so vast they seemed a sea of black, and whose cries chilled one to the bone, all who fought them died. <BR><BR>By nightfall they had reached the camp, which seemed to be a circus, large tents with flags atop. The light of what seemed a hundred thousand fires lit the large area, small soldiers tents were placed all around the encampment. The place even at this hour was buzzing with activity, a not so small city. This was the most important place of their side of the war. Here general Cortelo and his war council planned the actions, the bigger picture, of the war. This was the area where great numbers of men replenished their supplies before going out to battle. Arcanum estimated the camp to be 30 000 people in number of all sorts, they were predominantly soldiers resting from endless battles and armies refitting themselves to go out again to battle, but there were also people selling their wares, to the soldiers everything you could think of. Arcanum had been instructed to go ahead and announce their arrival. As he road up to the large ring of light he was challenged by a loud gruff voice behind which was a spear glinting in the moonlight. “Who goes there?” the man asked. <BR><BR>“I come bearing news that Caltar’s mercenary army has arrived.” Arcanum replied in a low voice. It was a warm night and the sentry was breathing heavily, apparently he had not been a part of the conflict for some time as his belly hung heavily over his belt. He didn’t seem the sharpest sword in the smithy. <BR><BR>“All right sir,” the fat man responded, “if you would kindly fallow me sir.” At least, Arcanum thought, he got to the point quickly and seemed honest enough. <BR><BR>The fat man brought him to a large clearing; it seemed to be a natural clearing unlike the main encampment. It was bathed with the soft glow of moonlight, the trees branches reached out like those of the huorns, the fat man seemed nervous as if something were to pop out of the trees and attack him. <BR><BR>Arcanum didn’t bother to pitch his tent yet; he would wander the encampment and let the others set up camp. “Lead the others here.” Arcanum commanded. With that he dismounted, handing the reigns to the sentry. “Give this to the stable boys.” <BR><BR>“Yes sir.” The sentry replied. Arcanum tossed him a gold coin, and with that headed for the main base of operations, his heavy boots echoing in the large open clearing. <BR><BR><BR>((OOC: sorry it took me so long, it took me a while and i dont think this post is that good, but i felt the need to post something to introduce my character.))
Astalder
Shield Bearer

Postby Astrophel » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:49 am

<i>Her men had just fought a small band of peasants who refused to pay "taxes", when the orcs arrived. Since Nemesis's men had occuped the village's men the village had been left open and exposed. And that's when the orcs attacked. It was the most cowardess thing Nememsis had ever seen. Women screaming and children crying, the utter annihalation that was occuring. Even being one of the "bad guys" Nemesis had certain code of honor, and killing women and children went against that code. Nemesis sent a scout to warn the orcs that there actions would not go unchecked. Night was sent in and Nemesis was losing her advantage as the Sun sank lower. With her elven sight she watched the boy race across the fields on his pale brown horse. She watched him up to the point an arrow found itself impaled in his chest. Nemesis rallied her troops, mounted her horse and raced acrossed the fields as fast as Thunder would carry her. Atleast the orcs didn't turn and run when her men reached them. She wanted to slaughter everyone of those vile creatures,and her men had almost succeeded when she was knocked from her horse. Before she could get to her feet she felt a searing pain travel across her back, she feel back over as the pain increased as dirt found its way into her wound. Every where the sound of metal against metal cried out but her men seemed to be winning. Save for the fact Nemesis was laying on the ground in an immense amount of pain and two orcs were standing quite close to her. As they attack the fallen elf, she grabbed Balia...</i>
Astrophel
Shield Bearer

Postby Astalder » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:46 pm

(@)<BR><BR>Arcanum wandered around the camp doing a reconnaissance of the place, a habit he had mysteriously picked up somewhere along the paths of his life. He followed the loud noise that brought him to a large tent with a banner snapping smartly in the wind. Coming from inside were the sound of merriment and the stench of alcohol. Entering his ears and eyes were immediately assaulted by the light and noise. Tables filled the space except for a small dance floor in the middle were a few people danced to the music. Ordering a drink from the bar he sat down at a large round table unnoticed and listened to the people who were talking about the war. From what he gathered the war was not going very well at all, he heard of huge losses from both sides but the enemy always seemed to have more, an uncountable swarm of Orcs, the barbaric Wildmen, and other creatures and men of Middle Earth. <BR><BR>Inside of the bar was hot but Arcanum didn’t notice, he kept his cloak on leaving his face in shadow as he listened intently to all of what was happening. Then on e of the men in the middle of what he called a glorious victory when suddenly he took notice of him, “By Eru, who are you?” Arcanum did not answer him but instead sized him up, an unconscious habit. He was young, maybe 25, well built and obviously popular and also probably a good warrior although he seemed a little full of himself and disrespectful. “Answer me scum, or I will slice you open on the spot or have you flogged, do you not know who I am?”<BR><BR>Arcanum chuckled, a harsh guttural sound. “Of course not, I just arrived with a mercenary group from the north.”<BR><BR>“You are not welcome here then, go to the bar were your type of folk hang out, this is for people who have a legitimate claim to this war you accursed hired scum.” The young blonde haired warrior spit this out at him, but his words didn’t have the intended effect. “I am a member of Cortelo’s elite guard, and I order you to leave this place, or I will have you flogged.” <BR><BR>Arcanum just stayed in the shadow of his drawn cloak, and again chuckled. “And how do you intend to accomplish this you young inexperienced pup? You think your ‘exalted’ position gives you the ability to pick and choose who drinks here and who does not?”<BR><BR>At that the young mans eyes grew larger and his nostrils inflated in anger. He stood up sharply and drawing a dagger rushed at him. Time seemed to slow for Arcanum, in slow motion he saw the chair hit the ground as the guard stood, the young mans knife hand came down in a slow motion as well, Arcanum decided just to let his hand fall. As the knife hit his cloak it glanced off as it hit the eight-millimeter chain mail rings that were woven into his cloak. The mans face registered surprise as Arcanum’s gloved leather fist buried itself in the mans stomach, as he doubled over winded, he brought his knee crashing up into his face, and with a loud groan fell to the floor. As that task was accomplished he noticed that the other men at the table rushed to their feet as well. One lashed out and nearly caught him in the face, blocking the following blow he struck that one three times in the face in rapid succession, the man dropped like a puppet with cut strings, his face a bloody mess. Another jumped on him from behind; Arcanum lashed back elbow catching him in the temple, and with a whoosh of air fell to join his comrades. A broken bottle flew at him and hit his cloak harmlessly, but it was followed by a not so harmless sword jab which Arcanum just barely dodged, he grabbed the beer he had been drinking from and splashed it into his face, cursing the mans hands went to his eyes, which rolled up in the back of his head as Arcanum swung the cup into the side of the mans head. He felt a sword glance of his cloak and whirling about, saw a man twice his size and built like an ox. In a furious exchange of blows Arcanum knew that this fight he would lose, unless he cheated. Dodging a ham sized fist he grabbed a coin out of his pocket, but got a glancing blow to his head. Immediately a myriad of stars invaded his vision “oh crap,” he muttered to himself. Another fist caught his chest and even through the cloak and clothing underneath it felt as if he had been kicked by a mule. Refusing to go down gasping his breath, he flicked the coin up in the air, and found out that while he had the size and strength of an ox, and as it turned out, he also had the intelligence. As he knew it would, the shiny gold coin caught the man’s attention as he stared at it stupidly as it seemed to hover in midair. A veteran of a hundred bar fights Arcanum drove his fist into the mans chin and his head snapped back and he fell to the floor like a sack of grain, apparently he wasn’t quite as tough as an ox. Suddenly it was very quiet in the bar. Looking around he realized that he was surrounded by a dozen shining blades. He was about to go for his swords but realized that these were guards on duty, plus they looked dangerous and well trained in their armour and how they carried themselves. <BR><BR>“You men, come with us, you are under arrest for disruption of the peace and assault on one of general Cortelo’s elite guard.” With that they took him and the men he had fought out at sword point. <BR>
Astalder
Shield Bearer

Postby Astrophel » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:34 pm

*Nemesis had just wondered into a nearby bar when she saw a slight skirmish unfold and the men being arrested. <i>oh well</i>she thought and silently made her way to the back of the bar. Her only companion was Hayden, quickly and silently they both moved side by side before Hayden moved off to get a couple of drinks. Nemesis found an empty table in corner covered by shadows. She sat down and pulled her hood back, a few men close by began to stare. Not only was she an elf, she was a woman in a man's bar. She was use to the stares from people though and she dealt with them as she always did by ignoring them. It was a new feeling for her to be a good guy, she didn't quite know what to do with herself. She didn't know wether to make friends with her onlookers or start a fight with them.<BR> Hayden made his way back with two mugs and sat down. He told her he thought it best if they headed to the main front soon and she agreed. She told him to inform the men they would be moving out in two days time and to be ready before the day broke on the third. She would give the men a couple days to rest and do what they needed to do to prepare. She made up a list of supples they would need and asked Hayden if he would handle the task and as always he accepted. She was her men's leader but to those outside her unit she let them believe Hayden was in charge. It suited them both. Nemesis glanced around the crowded room and watched the people interact with each other and thought about joining them. Her response to herself was merely <i>another night perhaps</i>. She pulled her hood back over her face, gracefull stood up and silently made her way through the crowd. She would let Hayden mingle, he was better at making friends.
Astrophel
Shield Bearer

Postby Astrophel » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:08 am

*Nemesis and her men were up before dawn, saddling their horses and packing up their equipment. They were heading to the main front and Nemesis hoped it would be a quick trip. Nemesis studied the sky, and noted that it looked like it would rain. Not a good sign for traveling. Nemesis' long black hair was pulled back in an effecient braid and she carried Balia at her side. As rain began to lightly fall, she pulled her hood over her face and pulled the cloak over her sword. <BR> No one else was awake at camp, or none atleast that Nemesis had seen. All the fires had long since gone out and there were a scattered few sleeping on the ground outside of tents and what not. The air smelled heavily of ale and stale bread. There had been a few parties earlier on that night and the air was still saturated by the stench. Nemesis would not allow her men to join in any of the feastivities and her men learned long ago things like parties were forbidden. It was her belief that things like that made men soft. The ale took down such defences such as cation and wariness and slowed down reaction time. No, her men didn't even ask, her men would not go soft. Walking through the camp, Nemesis noted that some of the sleeping men were of the elite guard. <i>Just because they hold a speciel title with their ranks they believe they deserve to celebrate. Now look at them, I could slit every last one of their throats and still walk out of here like it never happened.</i> But it wasn't her place to judge she decided and merely mounted Thunder, glanced back over her shoulder and shook her head. soon the rest of her men followed her lead and they moved out of the camp quickly and quietly as was their way.*
Astrophel
Shield Bearer

Postby Astalder » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:04 pm

(@)<BR><BR>The sounds of clinking armour, tired men, and heavy footfalls echoed off the hills in the predawn light. They had been marching all night to what they were told was to be a battlefield. They had been told they were to face no more than a rabble of Wildmen and Orcs, yet they had decided too march out in full force too be prepared. The enemy had burnt out a fortified town that had a 400-man defense force. To Arcanum, that didn’t sound like a rabble of men; it sounded more like a trained army. A fortified town was no easy task to break, even if severely outnumbered, and could only be really done by a trained force. Unarmoured men would be cut to pieces by archers, unless the foe had enough men that it didn’t matter. In either case it was best to bring the whole of their mercenary fighting force with them. They now had close to 6000 men marching to battle, the sound of which was deafening. <BR>They marched through the heat of the day and as the sun began to descend they arrived at a town close to that which had been sacked. They had prepared for war, the surrounding landscape was barren, surrounding farmland was blackened, most houses were only charred timbers, and ravens cawed and ripped at old flesh. Such a desolate place, it seemed void of hope, what man would wish to live in such a place. It was not the place to raise a family. Around the fortified town they pitched their tents, and in the course of a handful of hours a town, the size of the one nearby, was created. The whole journey he had made with silence, riding far ahead of the column, not even joining them for meals. He had an uneasy feeling, one that he could not identify; something bothered him about his general, something about the eyes and the posture. He reminded Arcanum of a snake, poised to strike, but at whom? He seemed capable enough, an intelligent man. Maybe he was just being paranoid, but still the thought bothered him. Right now he needed solitude, a place to think, gathering his cloak and sword and began to wander. Memories came and went, none happy. Although he did find that he had been extraordinarily lucky all his life, as if Eru himself watched over him. He thought to how he had gotten out of his latest predicament, the bar fight. As it turned out, luckily for him, that the man they brought him too was amused that one lone mercenary had been able to fight off so many men that were so well trained. He had gotten off free of any charge that same night. Also all those battles and some wounds were he should have never survived. He had seen death, fought with death, and over come it more than once. One day Arcanum knew in the very depths of his soul that he would not overcome it and he would go to whatever awaited him after death. He had heard of the Halls of Waiting where good men went and waited for the earth to be renewed, or something like that. <BR>Looking up Arcanum noticed how clear the stars were tonight and how quiet the surrounding countryside was, too quiet for it to be natural. Just before crickets had chirping merrily away, now the silence was deafening. Immediately Arcanum went completely still, listening and straining his ears for the slightest sound. In the far distance the distinct noise of a horse in full gallop could be heard. Perhaps this was a rider carrying news of the nearby enemy army; in any case it was time for him to return to the camp. <BR>
Astalder
Shield Bearer

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)