TiM: Please Lock

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Arwen32315 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:38 pm

Deep in the heart of Moria, in Dwarrowdelf, the Dwarves hoarded their treasures and guarded them against all enemies. The hiding places were sealed; their locations mapped with exacting care. These vast riches were later plundered by Orcs and other servants of the Enemy. The Dwarves abandoned all thought of ever regaining the once mighty stronghold that they had believed was impenetrable. <BR><BR>One of the maps has been found by, Merin, a scholar in Gondor. He rescued the aged manuscript and now seeks a company to travel with his brother, Guilo, to retrieve the treasure. His colleagues believe he is mad, but he is determined to find the hidden wealth against all odds. All participants will be rewarded generously. All they need do is give a vow of silence and secrecy. <BR><BR><b>~X~X~X~X~X~X~X~X~X~X~</b><BR><BR>"Are you crazy?" Guilo stared at his brother. "You're asking me to do the impossible. There is no way I'll ever be able to find a group of people to accompany me into Moria unless they're dwarves!" <BR><BR>"They can't be dwarves." Merin replied. <BR><BR>"And why not?" <BR><BR>"Because they would attomatically assume that the treasure belongs to them. Any profit we might gain from this would be lost." <BR><BR>"So you're in this for the money? That's it, isn't it? Does the King know?" Guilo drilled Merin with questions. <BR><BR>When his brother had first found the ancient map, Guilo had been elated. Storming the former Dwarven fortress and castle would be the ultimate adventure for a bored wanderer, but what his brother was suggesting was impossible. <BR><BR><BR>"When the dwarves abondoned Moria they gave up all right to anything that was left there. Their claim was doubly lessened when they sold those old book and manuscripts to the head of the palace library. These papers have been locked away for centuries. If the Lady Arwen had not asked for the library to be expanded they would still be sitting on a shelf covered in dust. This is your ticket to a quiet life."<BR><BR>"Whoever said I wanted a quiet life?" <BR><BR>"You won't support me either, then? My colleagues - those that know anyway - think I'm crazy. They all fall back to the story of how the Watcher and then the Balrog destroyed any of the remaining entrances to the place. What they didn't know is that, along with a map to the treasure, I found a way to get in." <BR><BR>"Maybe your colleagues are right; maybe you are nuts. I'll go along with this, but you, <i>not me</i> will have to round up the rest of the desperados to go with me. I won't do this alone, and they have to meet certain standards. No soft mama's-boys are allowed." Guilo looked hard at his brother. He had been on too many of his brother's hair-brained goose-chases before; he wasn't risking his life for something like this agian. If he was going to go, he was going with people who could take care of themselves and each other.<BR><BR>"You can inspect them yourselves. Make a few inquiries at some of the tavers, will you? I need some good recommendations." Merin consented before going back to his work.<BR><BR>"Just ask the bar-keep at the Silver Serpent. He can give you some good leads. Eru knows he's helped me enough at times."
Arwen32315
Rider of the Mark

Postby ElvenWanderer » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:17 pm

"Someone has come asking for you." an elf said to Laine as she rounded the corner. <BR><BR>Laine's grey eyes reflected the light from outside, and a confused look was present on her pretty elven face. "Who is it? What do they ask of me?"<BR><BR>"It's a human. Says that they'll only discuss the matter with you." the elf shrugged and said, before taking his leave. <BR><BR>A human? She'd seen nothing of men since she went to Mirkwood. She raced down the steps, with a bit of difficulty considering the fact that she was wearing a dress. It was White, and the sleeves and back trailed on the ground. It was pretty, and had a low neckline. But Laine hated dresses. She reached the door, and let out a breath before opening it and stepping out into the sunlight. A man stood there. Rather more of a boy Laine thought to herself. <BR><BR>"Excuse me, i'm looking for the great elven warrior present here. Elrond's ward? Where might i find him?" the boy said.<BR><BR>"Him? You me her? Or me, rather." Laine said, wanting to laugh at the boy's ignorance. <BR><BR>"You? But you're just a woman!" the boy said haughtily.<BR><BR>"You should learn to hold your tongue whem talking to people that way. Especially royalty." Laine said, aggrivated at the boy's ignorance.<BR><BR>"Pardon?" the boy asked.<BR><BR>"Oh, nevermind. What is it that you have to tell me?" <BR><BR>"Well, its more asking you than anything else."<BR><BR>"Well then, out with it." Laine laughed<BR><BR>"It's a job offer."<BR><BR>"Oh, here we go again..." she said, sounding exasperated.<BR><BR>"Yes, well i've been sent here in behalf of Merin and Guilo of Gondor. Your presence is requested there. A great adventure!" the boy exclaimed.<BR><BR>"I'm go to all the way to Gondor because of some adventure that i know nothing of? Do you really expect me to do that when i have troubles of my own to worry about without having to deal with pushy human know-it-alls?" The boy started to speak, but Laine interrupted him. "I'll get my things." she said cheerfully.<BR><BR>Ten minutes later, Laine was back downstairs and ready to leave. She had traded her stuffy dress for a green tunic and black leather pants, knee high black leather boots, and a black traveling cloak. She was wearing her beloved armblades, which were back leather gloves that reached up to her elbow with a sharp arched blade running from the start of her fist to just below the elbow. She had strapped on her dazzling elvish sword, and she had an elf bring her her horse, Shadow.<BR><BR>"I... I've heard that you're somewhat important in Mirkwood?" the boy asked timidly.<BR><BR>"Last in the royal family. I rule it. I'm here visiting Elrond for a short time. You're lucky you caught me. I was about to leave in a day's time. Which reminds me..." Laine called to a handsome male elf. "Go back home and tell them i've gona on a journey. They can take care of it for a while." The elf nodded, bowed, and left. "We ride!" Laine said cheerfully.<BR><BR>*********************************************************************<BR>Days later, they reached Minis Tirith without much happening. Laine was instructed to go to the Silver Serpent. She found her way easily enough, and opened the door. When in there, she saw two men sitting at a table, and proceeded towards them. One was blonde and slightly round. The other was dark haired and grey eyed, like Laine.<BR><BR>"Are you Merin and Guilo?" Laine asked, getting to the point quickly. She took off her hood and stood there, facing the men at the table.<BR><BR>"We are. And who are you?" the blonde one said.<BR><BR>"Well, i was sent for and told to meet you here." Laine said.<BR><BR>"We sent for a warrior, not a stable maiden." the dark haired one interjected.<BR><BR>"Stable maiden?! Who do you think you are talking to?" Laine said angrily.<BR><BR>The bar-keep, obviously sensing trouble, strode over to the table and put a hand on Laine's shoulder. "Boys, this is Elrond's ward. And the best elf-warrior ever, in my opinion." The men laughed.<BR><BR>"Eru, surely you must be joking!" the dark haired one laughed.<BR><BR>"Erm, did i also mention that she's the ruler of Mirkwood and a very influential person?" the bar-keep added nervously. The men stoped laughing and turned a bit pale. <BR><BR>"Now gentlemen, if you'll kindly explain to me why in heaven's name i am sitting in a tavern in Gondor at this time..." Laine said after a few minutes of silence following the bar-keep's retreat. She pulled up a chair and sat at the table beside the men. "By the way, i'm Laine." she said, holding out her hand. The men each shook her hand before they told her what was going on...
ElvenWanderer
Shield Bearer

Postby Tarien » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:18 pm

A cloaked figure walked into the tavern, and threw back it's hood, revealing chalk-white features reminiscent of a predatory bird, and ramrod-straight obsidion hair. She strode foreward, and was hailed by the barkeep.<BR>"Anything to drink, milady?" He called. She was amused that the human thought her royalty. Well, she was, in a way. All the Elven people were, when compared to pure-blood humans. <i>Numenorians are truely the only mortals who deserve my time.....</i> she thought, then remonstrated herself. <i>Times have changed, even if I have not. Ah..I suppose even I must accept this 'new' world of men. How I long for my own people!</i> She, somewhat puzzled, found that she had stopped walking. She was slipping into her own thoughts more often these days, which she supposed was both sea-longing and the desire to sail West after her people. Or perhaps it was the lethargy of peace. All her life she had either been fighting wars or rebuilding after them. Peace was a new and not entirely welcome development. <BR>"No, thank you." She replied to the innkeeper. Her keen ears picked up on a discussion which interested her. It was mainly intoductions, but she recognized two of the names. One, the Mirkwood Queen, last of her line. <i>I know how that feels....</i> She thought bitterly, and briefly entertained the thought of going to the remenants of the Greenwood. Perhaps her kin lingered there. The second name she knew was of the archiver, whom she had spoken with on occasion. She walked over, trying and failing to blend in with the sparse crowd. Even though her feet made no noise, especially over the racket of the pub, she was taller than nearly all the humans around her, and the dress of the Galadhrim was hardly inconspicuous(sp) among Gondorians. Especially with so few travellers in the city at the moment. Her eyes focused on the parchment they laid upon the table, and recognized it's contents from her journeys between Laurelindorian and Hollin. <BR><i>Moria.</i> The thought of the evil awakened there still chilled her skin, even though she had heard it was fallen. And then there were, of course, the hordes of yrch. She rebuked herself for falling briefly into her own tounge. Too few people here could speak it. <BR>Then she smiled to herself. Perhaps a jaunt into Kazad-Dum would rid her of this accursed lethargy. She walked to the table, and extended her hand to the leader. <BR>"I am Sulini Daehiril. If you wish my aid, you have it." <BR><BR>
Tarien
Shield Bearer

Postby Arwen32315 » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:04 pm

Guilo looked at the newcomer in surprise. <BR><BR><i>"I am Sulini Daehiril. If you wish my aid, you have it." </i> she said extending her had toward him. He shook it and looked hard at her. She was an elfess like Laine. <BR><BR>"My name is Guilo and this is my brother Merin." he said. <BR><BR>"She knows who I am, Guilo. She's visited the archives enought for us to have had a brief acquaintance." Merin told his brother cooly. <BR><BR>"What of Moria?" Laine asked quietly. She had nodded her greeting to Sulini and was silently glad that another elf had asked to join. <BR><BR>"We cannot speak in detail here." Guilo replied. "I would prefer to speak in the library. Merin had agreed to let us use the archives room to discuss the mission. But, I would like to know more about your skills. Both of you." <BR><BR>The two women nodded. Neither of them felt threatened by the request' they wouldn't take just anyone into Moria either. <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Arwen32315
Rider of the Mark

Postby ElvenWanderer » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:47 pm

Laine wanted to laugh aloud. Prove her skills? She could flay the man alive before he knew what was happening! The thought of having to prove anything to a cheeky human commoner was absurd! But, the prospect of a new adventure intrigued her. She stood up and followed the men into the archive room. It was a bit dusty, but otherwise Laine had no complaints. <BR><BR>When they were all settled in, Laine spoke. "I want to know what's going on right now. I've no patience with you. A simple stable-maiden like myself is highly irritable at times."<BR><BR>The other elf laughed. "Stable maiden? Far from it! Whoever made that judgement is highly mistaken, and a big fool." Laine smiled and nodded at this. She had already taken a liking to the she-elf. Laine noticed that the dark haired man turned a little pink in the face when the elf had said that. <BR><BR>"Well, don't just stand there. I've got important things to do without sitting in a dusty archive room in Minis Tirith. I'm sorry for being so short with you, but i really want to know why i've been called here."<BR><BR>"Before we tell you, you must prove your skills to us. And once we tell you what is going on, there'll be no backing out of the deal."<BR><BR>"Fine with me. I don't break promises anyway. How shall i prove my skill to you then?"
ElvenWanderer
Shield Bearer

Postby Ainariel » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:25 am

In a dingy corner of the tavern, two figures, engulfed in the smoke of pipeweed, watched the scene unfold with great intrest. Two elven ladies seemed to have appeared from nowhere, and in such a tavern, this was something rare. <BR><BR>The tallest, who had all the appearances of being Ranger of the North, leaned down to the small figure on his left.<BR><BR>"Something about this stirs my interest," he whispered. The small one followed his line of vision to the two elves.<BR><BR>"Is that so odd?" he asked, then gestured towards himself. True, he did rather stick out. Halflings had not been to the White City since Frodo and his companions left. <BR><BR>"It was your choice to come, you remember?" the halfling's companion pointed out. <BR><BR>"Just as it was your choice to tell me all that I was missing," the hobbit said, grimly. The Man laughed. <BR><BR>"Terod," said the hobbit, for that was the man's name, "you know you don't always have to make me look like the idiot. Sometimes I can make a point." <BR><BR>"Yes, Mr. Aldagrim Took, you have made your point," Terod said, "and if you regret my convincing you, then I could take you home." <BR><BR>"Why would I want to do that? I've come this far, haven't I?" the hobbit replied, brushing bread crumbs off from his green vest. There was a silence between them, though the general noise of the tavern still droned on: the clanking of plates and mugs, the laughter of Men, and an occasional clatter of falling dishes from the back of the kitchen. <BR><BR>"I do wish I knew why they were here..." Terod murmured.<BR><BR>"If you're so anxious, then ask them," said Aldagrim. Terod glanced down at Aldagrim, surprised at the simplicity of it. <BR><BR>"Right, then, I will," Terod said, standing, and walking to them.<BR><BR>"No! No! I was only jesting!"<BR><BR>But by this time, the elves and two men had already left the tavern. Terod's blue eyes nearly shot fire, for now he was very intrigued. <BR><BR>"Aldagrim, we will follow them!" <BR><BR>"Terod, you are mad!" the Took spat. <BR><BR>"Stay if you wish, but I will follow," Terod replied. <BR><BR>"And what am I to do if you get yourself into trouble?" asked Aldagrim, but, from all appearances, Terod wasn't listening. <BR><BR>"Very well, then," Aldagrim mumbled, "Wait for me."
Ainariel
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarien » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:30 pm

'You wish me to prove myself to you?' Sulini asked. 'Indeed, human, what shall I do? Juggle? Sing? Dance? I have the countenance of the King Aragorn and Queen Arwen. I have travelled long, since before sun or moon. I am most recently of the Galadhrim, but now they are gone. The woods I once guarded are empty; the great light within them is gone out. I know much of Moria, for I passed through to Hollin and back many times before the Dwarves awoke the <i>valaraukar</i>, and I dwelt on the borders of Laurelindorian uncounted years since. I have survived in Middle-Earth since before men awoke.'<BR><BR>She took a deep breath, calming herself, regretting that pride had driven those words from her. <BR><BR>'If you wish to test my ability to wield blade or bow, then I cannot think how you shall. The foes I have fought...their like no longer walks the world.' She glanced at Laine. <BR>'And last I heard, Mirkwood was a perilous place. The great spiders remain, and some of the last of the fell beasts have fled to refuge in Greenwood's keep. With my people now gone, it would be even worse. I doubt you will find her to be unskilled in battle.' <BR><BR>The clouds passed, and the great windows of the hall streamed with light that did not quite reach the table. Sulini, though, standing, seemed to those still sitting to be glow with power and light. The mirage vanished after a second; she sat down, her face showing amusment at the coincidence that Arien had chosen that moment to peer from behind the clouds. It was, of course, only conicidence. She would have to be quite concieted to think otherwise. <BR><BR>She turned to look behind her: she had heard footsteps, and wondered to whom they belonged. They sounded like they belonged to a...hobbit? The Periannath no longer dwelt in the city. Perhaps it was Pippin, returning? <BR>But Peregrin had never come to the archives, in her memory. <BR><BR>'I'll get some water; it's quite dry in here. Better for the books, you know.' She said, with a wink only the other Elf could catch. She slipped away, wraithlike. A startled screech came from the hallway, followed by high, elvish laughter. Sulini returned, with a hobbit in her wake. <BR><BR>'I though I heard an eavesdropper; I think I scared him.' Sulini laughed. The hobbit protested that he wasn't expecting to be snuck up on in the archives of Gondor. Sulini bowed, and pulled out a chair. 'He likely knows what we're up to, now, anyway.' She explained. <BR>'Took?' She asked the hobbit.
Tarien
Shield Bearer

Postby Ainariel » Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:22 pm

Aldagrim glanced wearily at the Men and Elves sitting in the archives. He knew he and Terod shouldn't have split up, for now he had found their prize, but would have to explain alone the reason for his eavesdropping. Trembling as he gazed at the long weapons of the strangers, his eyes darted around, perhaps hoping for some escape. But there was none. <BR><BR>Warily, Aldagrim inched in and climbed into the chair the Elf had pointed to. <BR><BR>"I haven't been there long, I swear it--" he began, "How-how did you know my name?" <BR><BR>The Elf smiled, gently. <BR><BR>"A good guess," she said, "though I do make it my business to know what others do not." <BR><BR>The hobbit trembled more violently. <BR><BR>"I--I'm Aldagrim Took," he said, his voice quaking badly, "and I didn't come to this place on my own. Honest, I didn't. It was my companion what told me to. Please don't hurt me. I told him not to, but he's young and too curious for his own good. Excuse him; he means no harm. We only saw you back at the Silver Serpent, and he was insistent on finding you. I am sorry, really." <BR><BR>"Another Periannath?" pressed the other Elf. <BR><BR>"No, miss, milady, ma'am," the hobbit stumbled for the right title, "He's a Ranger. See, I've always been the sort to like adventures, and when I befriended him, he sort of convinced me to take a journey of the world and find adventure. We're actually headed for Mirkwood. Back home, the very name 'elf' stirs ideas of adventure."<BR><BR>"Indeed," mumbled the oldest Man, in a deep voice that intimidated Aldagrim, "and where has your companion gone?" <BR><BR>"Terod?" said the hobbit, "he is...is....I don't know where he is."<BR><BR>There came then the sound of trotting feet, then a clatter as though someone had just run into something, followed by a short string of curses. Aldagrim sighed in embarrassment.<BR><BR>"That'd be him."
Ainariel
Ranger of the North

Postby ElvenWanderer » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:19 pm

"Ah, so now we've got a halfling in our midst." Laine said cheerfully. She had always liked hobbits. Good, decent folk. The Tooks were a bit on the rough side, but just fine all the same. <BR><BR>Laine held her hand out to the hobbit. "I'm Laine. You know, you shouldn't be sneaking around like that. Someone'd think you're up to no good." Laine said, with a hint of sarcasm. "Please, can we just get down to business? As the good lady said, I've got a lot to do at home. No time to waste. Dratted spiders always getting into places they shouldn't... I've not been there to help lately... We've got our hands full."
ElvenWanderer
Shield Bearer

Postby Manwe_of_the_Valar » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:53 pm

A tall man with dark brown hiar, and blue-grey eyes, walked through the door to the Silver Serpent. He strode over to a table, sat down, and stopped the barkeep as he was passing, "Could you bring me some ale?" he asked. The barkeep nodded and trotted off to return with a pint of ale. He sat there silently drinking his ale when he overheard two men and an elf lady's conversation. He heard "Moria" and "Treasure" spoken many times. <i>This sounds interesting</i> he thought <i>nothing exciting has happened since the War of the Ring...maybe this is worth getting myself into.</i><BR><BR>He looked up from his ale and in walked another elf. She walked strait to the two men and the elf lady beside him and extended her hand to one of the men. As the party beside him talked amongst themselves he noticed a halfling sitting with a man looking intently at the them. <i>I haven't seen a halfing in Minis Tirith for a long while. I wonder what he is doing in the city? </i> The man stood from his seat and walked toward the the party's table. He realized that the men and elves had left. <i>"Aldagrim, we will follow them!" the man said.</i> They talked for a brief moment and left the tavern. The man finished his ale, got up and walked out the door to follow the halfling and his friend.<BR><BR>He followed the halfling and the man to the library. He watched as an elf appeared in the hallway and startled the halfling from the Silver Serpent. She led him in a doorway where his friend entered later as well. He walked toward the room <i>well i hope that they are planning to travel to Moria. I wouldn't mind slitting a few orc necks if they are still there.</i> he sighed <i>I need an adventure.</i>
Manwe_of_the_Valar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ElvenWanderer » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:57 am

Laine heard the footsteps of a man walking down the corridor towards the room. "I'll get it this time." she said. Before anyone could have even moved, she was at the door. They had locked it after the others had come in. She unlocked it and stepped into the hallway.Laine closed the door with a small click. She came face to face with the man. He looked slightly startled to see her there. "I know you. You were in the Silver Serpent! You sat at a table drinking ale while the rest of us met. No doubt you overheard what we were saying. Come to check it out for yourself? What's your name, where do you hail from, and what is your purpose here?" she asked him. "Oh, where are my manners. I'm Laine." <BR><BR>"You're an elf. Laine... i've traveled far and wide over Middle Earth. I know that name from somewhere, i'm sure of it."<BR><BR>"Yes, well, i believe you passed through my forest a while back, and that you came to Rivendell once. You're name is...Ardenel, is it not? We don't get very many humans in Rivendell or Mirkwood lately. Well, Mirkwood... those spiders are a trifling obstacle." Laine said, a but wistfully. <BR><BR>"You're forest? Mirkwood is yours?" <BR><BR>"Yes yes, and how many times will i have to say that? People to amazed. Well, ruling something isn't as good of a job as people seem to think. But i love it. Now, if you want to come in with us, please do. Otherwise, leave."<BR><BR>The man followed her into the room. "Ok, i've decided to sit right by the door so i can hear when someone's coming, for everyone's sake. Because it seems that some people may have heard what we were saying int the Silver Serpent. Everyone, this is Ardenel."
ElvenWanderer
Shield Bearer

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:21 pm

---Cahira’s POV---<BR><BR>The stones on the road bit into Cahira’s feet cruelly through the worn leather of her shoes. She winced biting her lip. It was only seven more miles to Minas Tirith. She didn’t want to make Cai stop just because she couldn’t take a little pain. They needed to be in the city walls by nightfall. She glanced at Cai. He twin brother was staring absently at the road ahead of him as he walked. His mouth was drawn in a tight line, and his eyes were shadowed. She looked back at the road in front of her, deciding against asking him to stop. The pain continued to increase by the minute, and Cahira knew that her feet were probably bleeding. But she bit her lip as she tried to hide her limp, and continued to follow her brother.<BR><BR>---Cai’s POV---<BR><BR>The sky was growing dark, and Cai knew that it would soon begin to rain. Minas Tirith was still over six miles away. He knew that there was no way that he and his sister were going to avoid a drenching. And besides that, his feet were killing him. He had seen the condition of Cahira’s shoes, and knew that hers were probably even worse. He looked behind him, and could see a small cloud of dust rising from the road in the distance.<BR><BR>“Look Cahira!” he pointed, “A rider’s coming. Might even be a horse-drawn cart from the looks of it!” He saw a slight light of hope leap into her eyes, and knew that she was thinking the same thing he was. Maybe they would be able to get a ride.<BR><BR>They continued to walk, looking back occasionally. It took about five minutes for the cloud of dust to overtake them. It was a carriage drawn by four brown horses. Cai waved his hands at the driver, hoping to get him to slow down. Instead, the driver sped up, and as he passed flicked his whip in the direction of the twins, catching Cahira on the arm as he passed.<BR><BR>“That bloody b------!” (post edited for language unfit for all audiences) Cai glared angrily after the disappearing carriage, coughing on the heavy dust that had been thrown up. “Are you alright?” He looked to Cahira, who was kneeling on one knee in the road, a pained expression on her face. “Let me see it Cahira,” He ordered bending down beside her. She shook her head, “Its not too bad.” Cai knelt down beside her, “Its my feet.” Cai quickly put her arm around his neck and half carried her to the side of the road, where he set her down gently. The bottom of one of her shoes had ripped away, exposing raw bleeding flesh on the bottom of his sister’s feet. The other foot wasn’t much better. He tossed aside the pieces of the shoes, deciding that they were un-recoverable. He quickly tore strips of material from his already shredded cloak, and wrapped them gently around Cahira’s feet.<BR><BR>“Can you walk?” Cahira nodded, still biting her lip. He helped her stand up. She barely took one step before she fell to her knees again, a slight cry escaping her lips. Before she could protest, Cai quickly slid one arm behind her shoulders and the other under her legs, picking her up. She was thin, and He could feel her ribs through her clothing. He put a smile on his face, “Well, its not that far, I suppose I can carry you.” “I’m sorry Cai.” “Sorry? For what?” “Slowing us down.” “Don’t worry. It won’t hurt us to get a little wet.”<BR>
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby Manwe_of_the_Valar » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:21 pm

Ardenel walked into the room behind the elf, Laine. He was wearing a dark brown cloak, with a black tunic and leather pants underneath. He had leather gloves on that cut off at his knuckles, and he was also wearing leather boots. His sword and dagger hung from a belt around his waist. Laine introduced him as everyone looked in thier direction. "Hello, everyone," he said, to the three men, a hobbit, and the other elf in the room.<BR><BR>A man, slightly pudgey with blonde hair, rose from the table and walked over to him. The man extended his hand, "I'm Merin, what brings you here?"<BR><BR>Ardenel accepted the man's hand and shook it firmly, "I'm sorry but I couldn't help overhearing your conversation at the Silver Serpent. After the War of the Ring I've been traveling and i'm becoming bored. When I heard you mention "Moria" and "Treasure", it sparked my intrest. If you are going on an adventure or quest to Moria I'd like to accompany you."
Manwe_of_the_Valar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Ainariel » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:55 am

"Some of us still don't know what is going on," Terod commented, sitting back in his chair, his long legs stretched out in front of him. <i>Great Arda, where are his manners?!</i> Aldagrim wondered. All eyes were on the duo for a moment, and Aldagrim wished to heaven that the ground would just suck him up. <BR><BR>For several long moments, Aldagrim stared at his feet, his big, hairy, bare feet that made him feel even more conspicuous. He felt so awkward, so silly in among these higher beings. And stupid to be seen as a companion of Terod. The impudent boy! Why did he act in such a manner? It was embarrassing. It was almost as if he didn't know better. Or worse, didn't care....<BR><BR>"Listen," he whispered to Terod, "when you find out, let me know, but there's something about this what's telling me I ought to hop off--" but Terod's hand came down firm on his wrist, holding him tight, and glaring at him with expressive blue eyes that clearly said : "You are going nowhere." <BR><BR>Silence reigned among the newly formed company, until at last, Terod leaned forward, and asked, in a deep, low voice:<BR><BR>"Now, what about treasure in Moria?"
Ainariel
Ranger of the North

Postby Lómion » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:14 am

Lómion had been sitting in the Silver Serpent all day, drinking a beer, buying a few rounds with ill gotten money, generally making a few friends. He preffered to call himself a rouge, but some would name him as a theif, a pretty good one at that. When you are a theif, no rouge, you are always looking for a good way to make alot of money, and that is what he was doing in the Serpent, he had done a few favours for the bar-keep Aramath at the Serpent before Aramath, so he knew that this was a commen place for adventueres to meet, and with adventures came adventure, and with adventure, gold. <BR><BR>So far it had been a fairly uneventfull day, the most the drunken rabble at the bar knew was a few old legends about the local area, nothing concrete though. However as he sat there, enjoying a fine ale, he heard someone talking about Moria. <BR><BR><i>Moria, hmm, always plenty to find there, if you can pull it off.</i><BR><BR>Lómion listned carefully to the conversation about Moria, and watched inconspicuously as two men and two elves retreated to the back room of the bar. He decided to wait a while before he investigated more, if his supsicions were right about these people going off to pillage the treasures of Kazad-Dum, they certainly would not take well to being spied on, and they must be skilled enough to 'deal' with people who did. This would not stop him from investigating, he liked a good risk, but he would approuch the situation with caution. He sat and watched as more people went through the back door. Among them was a hobbit, this <i>would</i> be interesting indeed, hobbits and adventures were always good fun. He decided now would be the time to offer his services to what was obviously an adventuring party, either that or a group of conspirists plotting against someone, and he doubted that the Silver Serpent would be the best place for that.<BR><BR>"Aramath, put the beers on my tab. Yes I know how big it is, but I have a feeling that my pockets will soon be filled with more gold then I can carry, I'm sure that some of it will spill over into your coffers."<BR><BR>Lómion walked towards the back room, luckily he had a spare key he had pilfered off Aramath a while back, being a rouge left so much room for reinterpretation of morals. He unlucked the door, and quickly walked in. He saw a room of people examining a map of Moria.<BR><BR>"Oh sorry, I didn't realise that anyone was back here, I came to get more ale.." <BR><BR>Lomion glanced at the map, even though he had noticed it before, "hmm, what have we here?"
Lómion
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ElvenWanderer » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:05 pm

Laine had moved from the door to the table once the real talking had begun. Before they knew it, a man stepped into the room. Laine stood up and turned to face him, angry. "A likely story that you would just happen to wander in here. That door was locked. Only the bar-keep should have a key. And anyone who works here would know full-well where they keep ale! You are a poor liar, and probably also a thief, from the looks of you." she added, disgustedly. She was directly face to face with the man, her steely grey eyes looking straight at him.<BR><BR>"I can see you're not someone to mess with. You look a bit familiar. I feel like i should know you're face from somewhere. Are you of Mirkwood? he asked.<BR><BR>Laine threw her hands up in exasperation. "I can't take it anymore!" she said as she turned away. The man smiled. <BR>
ElvenWanderer
Shield Bearer

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:17 pm

---Cai’s POV---<BR><BR>The walls of Minas Tirith loomed overhead. The rains had come, pounding relentlessly, turning the dust of the road into mud. Despite her slight frame, Cahira was growing heavy, and he was glad that they had at last come to the city gates. He sloshed through the already ankle deep puddles, coming at last into the sheltered overhang of the first gate. The gate was open, but guarded by men in armor wearing the crest of Gondor. Cai lowered his head and made his way past.<BR><BR>Inside the first wall, the rain pounded down once again, dripping down Cai’s face and off his nose. He shook his head, trying to clear the droplets of water that hung to his eyelashes, blinding him. He saw the swinging sign of the Silver Serpent, a small inn. He shifted the weight of his sister slightly, and shuffled through the running water on the cobbles, to the overhang of the inn roof. <BR><BR>Gently setting Cahira down, he took off his cloak and rung it out, then wrapped it back around his shoulders. He did the same to Cahira’s. She was obviously hurting, but managed to stand anyways. With her leaning on his shoulder, they slipped into the inn.<BR><BR>---Cahira’s POV---<BR><BR>Cahira leaned heavily on Cai’s arm, trying to keep the weight off of her cut and bloodied feet. They slipped unnoticed into the inn, and she and her brother took two seats in a dark corner booth, away from the other occupants of the room, who were mostly at the bar.<BR><BR>“Wait here,” Cai slid out of his chair, and silently slipped unnoticed to the other side of the room. Cahira pulled her damp cloak tighter around her, and craned her neck to see what her brother was up to.<BR><BR>She watched at Cai slipped easily through the cluster of men standing at the bar, not missing the slight movement of his hand as he lifted one of the mens’ purses easily from their belt. She almost laughed when Cai suddenly pretended to be perplexed, as if he had forgotten something, and came back over to where Cahira was sitting.<BR><BR>Cai emptied the contents of the purse into his hand. “This is easily enough to feed us for a month,” he said, delighted at his good luck. “Still,” Cahira lamented, “I hate to think that we have come so low that we have to steal.” “If people would only let us work, we wouldn’t have to.” Cahira knew that her brother was right. Every time they had tried to get work, they had either been thrown out, or simply ignored. Cai put the coins back into the purse and slipped it into the side of his boot. “So, what will you have,” he asked with a mischievous grin on his face.<BR><BR>---Cai’s POV---<BR><BR>The two siblings ate their fill for the first time in weeks, paid the inn keeper, and were just slipping back out into the rain, when the man that Cai had stolen the money from, noticed that his purse was missing, which drew his attention to the two wafes that were halfway to the door.<BR><BR>“Ay, you!” His voice was thick with drunkenness, as was his mind. He grabbed Cai’s wrist roughly, and pulled him towards him. “You took my money, din’ you?” It was a statement, not a question. “I’ve done no such think, sir. Now if you’ll kindly release me,” Cai’s elvish accent thickened with his nervousness. “Ah, a liar and a thief,” The man was clearly not thinking straight, and pulled a dagger from his belt, putting it to Cai’s ear. Cai’s mind was racing. There was no arguing with a drunken man. He was in trouble, not only form the drunk, but the people in the inn who were being drawn to the commotion by the door.<BR><BR>---Cahira’s POV---<BR><BR>Cahira knew that her brother was in trouble, she quietly limped around the raging drunk , silently slipping the hidden dagger from her pant leg. Most people never expected it of her, but Cahira was one of the most dangerous young ladies when it came to weapons and martial arts. Her baggy clothes hid well-toned, though slender, muscles, which tensed now, ready to pounce.<BR><BR>Then she struck. In an instant, she was on the mans back, with her dagger hovering at his throat. “Let him go!” She hissed in his ear.<BR>
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby ElvenWanderer » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:48 pm

"Something's amiss outside." Laine said hurriedly. "I'll go, you all stay here...Mirkwood.." she muttered, still in a foul mood. Outside, Two half elves, twins apparently, were in the middle of a brawl. They looked worse for the ware. The girl had a dagger at a man's throat. "Ay lassie, don't be getting yourself into trouble now." Laine said as she grabbed the girl's wrist and squeezed. The girl cried out in pain and dropped the dagger. Before it fell, Laine caught it and handed it back to her. "Now now, don't start. What seems to be the trouble here?" <BR><BR>"This man stole my money!" the man said angrily.<BR><BR>"Did you?" Laine asked the male half-elf calmly.<BR><BR>"No. Never touched his money." Cai said. Laine could tell he way lying, but no one else could. Laine stepped over to the angry man.<BR><BR>"Now, i'm sure this fine boy didn't steal your money. You don't have something against elves, do you?" Laine asked menacingly.<BR><BR>"No, m'lady. I don't..." said the man, nervously.<BR><BR>"Well then, i see no problem here. Go about your business." Laine said.<BR><BR>"Yes, m'lady." said the man as he turned away. Laine turned to the half-elves.<BR><BR>"Come with me, i'll not harm you." she said soothingly. Hesitantly, they began walking down the corridor to the back room. When they were out of earshot, Laine turned around to face them. "I'm Laine, and that was a fine mess you almost got yourself into. When in Minas Tirith, it's better not to pull a knife on anyone, especially since you're half-elves. They take that as disrespect to the human race. You're hurt and tired, i can tell. I can help you, but you must trust me. Follow me."<BR><BR>They reached the back room, and Laine opened the door. "I figured as we already had a few people, we might as well make this an all-out social gathering." Laine said sarcastically. The others went on talking quietly, and Laine led the elves over to a corner of the room. "Hold still." Laine told the girl. Laine placed her hands on either side of the girl's face and closed her eyes. A golden light filled the dim room, and the others all turned around to look. The girl had a few cuts and scrapes, and look overly worn out. But after a few seconds, every trace of fatigue or injury was completely gone. She repeated the process for the male. Laine noticed the cuts that appeared on her hands, stinging fiercely. She winced in pain. After healing the male half-elf, she got a piece of cloth and a mug of water and cleaned the cuts. <BR><BR>She didn't notice the others staring at her until she was done. "What?" Laine asked, innocently.<BR><BR>"What was that?" The hobbit asked.<BR><BR>"Nothing."<BR><BR>"It wasn't nothing! You healed those elves!"<BR><BR>"Actually, they're half-elves. And yes, i did heal them. No, i don't like doing it!" Laine called angrily.<BR><BR>"I... didn't ask you that..." the hobbit said.<BR><BR>"But that's what you were thinking..." Laine said before she could stop herself.<BR><BR>"How did you know what i was thinking?!" The hobbit asked nervously and suspiciously.<BR><BR>"I...can read people's mind if i want to. But it takes energy... except when someone is feeling a very strong emotion. Then I hear it ounding in my ears. Like before... these two were feeling scared and threatened. I could sense it. That's how i knew there was something going on outside." Laine looked down at the ground.<BR><BR>"Outside, why did that man call you m'lady?" the girl asked.<BR><BR>"GAH! SHE...MIRKWOOD...AGAIN!!" Laine yelled throwing up her hands and putting her hands up against her ears, her anger so intense that she couldn't string a sentence together.<BR><BR>"You'll have to excuse her highness. She's a bit...emotional when it comes to that..." the other elvsh woman said.<BR><BR>By this time, Laine had calmed down. "Sorry about that." she said sheepishly. "Can we please continue?"<BR>
ElvenWanderer
Shield Bearer

Postby Arwen32315 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:34 pm

"Before we do, I want to know who and where everyone in this room has come from!" Guilo almost had to yell to be heard over the elf and the hobbit. "I desired to take a select and small group into this, not a bunch of scraggly eavesdroppers looking to fill their pockets!"<BR><BR>"Don't overreact, Guilo." Merin tried to calm his brother. "You didn't really expect upstanding people with better things to do, to take you up on this did you?"<BR><BR>"Excuse me!" Sulrinin broke in. "Elves are upstanding people, thank you." <BR><BR>"I beg you pardon." Merin replied sarcastically. <BR><BR>"We have to find another place to meet. This room has been drawing more attention to itself by the minute." Laine break the tension. <BR>"There ought to be a place in the library we can meet."<BR><BR>Guilo had already rolled up the map that had been spread out on the table. "There's a small room of ancient scrolls in the west wing. Come there tomorrow and not all at the same time. If you see someone else that's in this room now making his way to the room, find a detour."<BR><BR>"Why all the secrecy?" asked the hobbit.<BR><BR>"The King doesn't know about his. And, I doubt he would like it if he knew. Treasure seeking in an orc infested mine is not something he encourages. We'll discuss it tomorrow."<BR><BR>"There's another inn down the road a bit," Merin interjected. "I don't think it's wise for all of you to stay in one place either. If someone who wasn't meant to hear this..." Guilo snorted, "...has got wind of it, there could be more than just the trouble of the Mine."<BR><BR>The group nodded. One by one they began to dipserse at irregular intervals. At the end of an hour, there was only Guilo and Merin left in the little back room. Laine had take the twins with her, and the others had found lodgings somewhere. <BR><BR>"This wasn't supposed to happen this way."<BR><BR>"Yes, but things often happen this way and turn out for the better."<BR>Merin had grown somewhat tired of his brother's pessimism. <BR><BR>"Well, it's too late now. I just hope they all know how to defend themselves."
Arwen32315
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lómion » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:43 am

As Laine brought the half - elves into the back room , Lomion wondered what the odds of finding three half - elves in one place were . <BR><BR><i>Isn't it funny that man automaticly accuses the half - elf of theft , viewing us as less then a real race because of out mixed heratige. Of course , if he had accused me , he would have been right , but thats besides the point . </i> <BR><BR>Examining the half - elves , Lomion noticed they looked worse then he had after he had been roughed up by the city guard . <BR><BR><i>Coming into town like that certainly makes you wonder , what kind of past do they bring to this group of would be adventures</i> <BR><BR>While the others stood amazed at Laine's healing powers , Lomion took the chance to study the map without anyone watching . <BR><BR><i>This map would fetch a fine price , perhaps I should take methods to acquire it . Hmm , but where would the fun in that be , no , I've been keeping a quiet life , well for me anyway , for too long , an adventure would do me good . Plus , with this many people interested in this map , selling it would make me more enimies then friends , though by the looks of this lot I don't think that would be much of a problem . </i> <BR><BR>Half listing to Laine , Lomion heard her say something about hearing peoples thuoghts . <BR><BR><i>Damn , better be carefull what I think , don't want them getting the wrong impression , no matter how right it may be</i> <BR><BR>As they all departed for various taverns , splitting up so as not to draw attention to themselves , Lomion decided to prove his worth to this ragtag group of adventures . Instead of staying in a tavern , he decided he would get a head start on getting to the libary . He climbed onto the roof , and slid down a chimmny . Covered in soot but no worse for wear , he snuck into the scroll room , found a small cuboard in the corner , and went to sleep . What a suprise the others would have tommorow morning . <BR>
Lómion
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ElvenWanderer » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:03 am

"This expedition is quickly turning into a circus." Laine said quietly as she and the twins entered an inn across town from the tavern. "Though i guess it is partially my fault. But i couldn't just leave you two out there. Yes, i am perfectly certain you can take care of yourselves, but if people saw me healing... it would get out of hand. Besides, in the condition you two were in, i didn't have the heart to leave you out there."<BR><BR>"So, you're names are Cai and Cahira?" she asked. The two nodded.<BR><BR>"Pleasure meeting you." Laine said, and bowed to them. She went over to talk to the barkeep. "I need rooms for the night. And food in the morning." she took out a small bag bursting at the seams with money and handed him a few coins. "Thank you." she said to him. She placed the bag back under her black traveler's cloak and headed back to the others.<BR><BR>"Ok, rooms are this way." she said, and they followed her to them. Halfway there, she broke the silence by saying "You know Cai, you're a pretty good liar. But i know you stole that money. Just so you know. No elf, or half-elf even, should have to steal money from others. You seem like nice people."<BR><BR>"You read my mind back there in the tavern?" <BR><BR>"No, i could tell you were lying. No one else could though, rest assured." she said cheerfully. "Here are the rooms. Good night."<BR><BR>They all went into their rooms and changed. Laine didn't sleep that night, she was too excited over the day ahead.
ElvenWanderer
Shield Bearer

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:36 am

---Cahira's POV---<BR><BR>Cahira and Cai looked around them at the room for several moments before saying anything. "She knew our names," Cahira said in disbelief, "how freaky is that?" Cai didn't answer. Cahira knew that he was thinking about that fact that they hadn't stayed in a room this nice in years. The twins had a strange link, that no one else really understood. it was almost like they could hear each other's thoughts.<BR><BR>---Cai's POV---<BR><BR>Cai thought about how nice it would be to stay here, but broke off his thoughts abruptly. "No matter," he thought, "We'll be gone in the morning, and probably won't see these people again. Besides, I don't completely trust them. I don't trust anyone that easily. That one character looks a little less than honest." Cai laughed when he though of the irony of his thought. "Tomorrow, I'm taking the rest of the money and buying Cahira new shoes."<BR><BR>(Sorry 'bout the short post. I just wanted to post something on the twins thoughts. BTW, for those of you that didn't read their bios, they are 15 and mortal, even though they are half-elves.
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby Ainariel » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:31 pm

The small room that Terod had bought for himself and his hobbit companion was small and dimly lit. It sat adjacent to the room where the half-elven twins now lay abed, and, no doubt, were sleeping. It had been a trying day for their nerves, and the hobbit's as well. <BR><BR>"So, you're telling me that I am to go with you and this group of miscreats into a cave where nobody lives," Aldagrim raved, "looking for treasure that very well may be gone, and risking my life everyday, is that ?!" <BR><BR>"No, Aldagrim, they're not miscreats and orcs live in the cave," Terod answered, taking off his boots and reclining in his bed. <BR><BR>"Oh, that makes everything just fine, doesn't it?! They're not miscreats, they renegade treasure seekers, and I won't be risking my life, I'll be losing it by being eaten by monsters!" cried Aldagrim, "You're mad, Terod! You are bloody, stark-raving mad!! I wanted to travel, but never did I ever mention killing myself!" <BR><BR>"Ah, but it comes with the territory, my dear hobbit," Terod said, raising himself onto his elbow, "You agreed to travelling to foreign places, seeking adventures, but never did any adventure not come with certain risks. Do you actually intend on finding an adventure that doesn't pose risks? Mr. Took, there are none." <BR><BR>Aldagrim slipped off his waistcoat, and plopped on his bed, sulking. He despised being in the wrong. <BR><BR>"Aldagrim," Terod said, leaning forward, "look at it this way: we are in among warriors, scholars, mind-readers, healers, and geniuses. We're never going to die. We will never get caught. We will be richer than kings, and heros, as well. You have nothing to lose, save a little respect back home. What do you say, old chum?" <BR><BR>Aldagrim slipped off his belt that held two daggers. Rustic things they were, old and crude. Made back home, by his ancestors. They had expected danger back then, and were prepared for it. And he had come all the way to Minas Tirith, prepared as they were for danger. And now he faced it, and he thought of going back? Hang that. How could he call himself a Took and not do anything queer? Besides, they were sworn to secrecy. No going back now....<BR><BR>"What have I got to lose?" he asked Terod, smiling, "I doubt I have a name back home. But find me in a year or so, and I'll be as famous as a Baggins." <BR><BR>And Terod smiled.
Ainariel
Ranger of the North

Postby Manwe_of_the_Valar » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:47 pm

Ardenel pulled up a chair and sat down with the rest of the group. He looked at the map of Moria lying in the middle of the table. <i>Both of the entrances to Moria have been blocked, how are we to get in?</i> He asked himself silently. <i>Perhaps they've found another entrance.</i> Everyone started to talk amongst themselves. He would interject a statement once in a while, but for the most part sat back and listened. Through the course of the conversation he learned that Merin had found another entrance into Moria. <i>So they have found another way in.</i><BR><BR>He heard the door of the back room start to open, and looked up. A tall man, with dirty blonde hair walked in, "Oh sorry, I didn't realize anyone was back here, I came to get more ale." <i>Lair. He probably noticed everyone flocking to the back room and came to find out what was going on.</i><BR><BR>Ardenel saw Laine leave the room. Minutes later she returned with two half-elves in her wake. He watched as she healed the two, which looked very much alike, of thier wounds and fatigue. He was in awe of what she had done and just stared at her.<BR><BR>Everyone talked for a little while longer. They made plans to meet in a small room, which was located in the west wing. Ardenel stayed a while and talked to Merin and Guilo. He left the two brothers in the back room. He left the Silver Serpent and found another tavern and walked in. The barkeep approached him, "Sir, are you looking for a room?"<BR><BR>"Yes," <i>I probably look tired</i> Ardenel answered the man and paid the man, "Thank you." He found his room. Once in his room he took off his cloak and laid it on a chair in front of the fireplace. He got ready for bed. He climbed into bed with a sigh <i>well, tomorrow should be an interesting day</i> and after that thought he fell asleep.
Manwe_of_the_Valar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Manwe_of_the_Valar » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:04 pm

Ardenel awoke at dawn and got ready for the day. He left his room and entered the common room of the tavern he was staying at. A few men were scattered throughout the common room eating thier breadfast. He took a seat as a maid walked over to him, "Would you like some breakfast?" <BR><BR>"A biscuit with some butter, and an apple please," he looked up at the maid. She left him and returned with the food he requested. He sat there silently eating his food. When he was done he laid the money on the table and left.<BR><BR>He looked up at the sky as he came out onto the street. The sun's light hit the clouds just right and made them look orange. He noticed the dew on the grass and trees as he walked through the streets. The air was crisp and cool on his skin. <i>What a fine morning.</i> He passed a few people, nodded, and said "Hello." An elderly woman stopped him and started a conversation with him. She told him about her son, and how he fought in the War. Then she went to her grandchildren and how big they were getting. He smiled and talked with her for a while. A little while later he politely told her he had to leave and went on his way.<BR><BR>Finally he made it to the small room. He peered in and noticed that know one was there yet. <i>I guess i'm the first one here. I'll just wait for the rest to arrive.</i> He walked in and sat down at a table to wait for the others.
Manwe_of_the_Valar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Ainariel » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:06 pm

Terod awoke with a jolt in the middle of the night. Sitting silently, careful not to wake Aldagrim, he was glanced around the room, cautiously. Nothing. Only now he felt wide awake. <BR><BR><i>You're only anxious. Relax a bit. You know you will be fine.</i> <BR><BR><i>Yes,</i> he assured himself, <i>everything will be just fine.</i> <BR><BR>But "fine" was not what he wanted, he realized. "Fine" was what commoners settled for. He wanted more. He needed more. <BR><BR>Having never known his mother or father, Terod had always lived knowing that someday, he would have a better life. He had to. He was raised by a blacksmith in Rohan before he turned 16, then left to go east, to the land of Eriador, where the little folk lived. Ever since he was a little child, he had carried a fancy for the little people, the <i>holbytla</i> of the Shire. Now, at 23, he not only was travelling with one, but was best friends with him. But it wasn't enough. Not all the little folk in the land could be a sufficient gift to the man who, before Terod was born, didn't even know the family, but raised Terod in spite of that. Terod's life was indebted to him, and he would find a way to repay it. <BR><BR><i>How much treasure was there, really? How much will we find?</i> <BR><BR>The more Terod thought it over; the more he found he was restless and couldn't sleep. Who would know how much? There was only one man who would know: that scholar fellow who had found the map. The older chap. Merin, was it? Yes. Yes! He had to find Merin. <BR><BR>Rising and slipping on his boots with his shirt unbuttoned, Terod carefully left his room in search of the scholar who could answer his questions.
Ainariel
Ranger of the North

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:21 pm

---Cahira’s POV---<BR><BR>Cahira woke just after dawn, feeling very refreshed. She hadn’t slept in a real bed in months. She looked over to where Cai had laid down. The bed was empty, but rumpled, and she knew that he had slept. But he was gone. She slid her legs off the side of the bed. The wood floor was cold on her bare feet, but she didn’t mind it. She still marveled at the way the elven lady had healed Cai and herself, but she didn’t trust her. Years of living by her wits had taught her that nobody does anything without wanting something in return, even if they didn’t know it. It was just too coincidental that this lady had healed them AND paid for a room for them. Cahira had never met anyone before that would do that, and she didn’t think that this elf could be any different. Her distrust deepened a little more. Cahira found her old torn cloak hanging around the back of a chair, still slightly damp from the rain the night before. She threw it around her shoulders and fastened loosely. She looked around the room briefly, and then headed downstairs to find Cai.<BR><BR>---Cai’s POV---<BR><BR>Cai had gotten up before dawn and headed out of the inn. Even in the early hours, there were a few shopkeepers stirring. It hadn’t taken him long to find a decent pair of shoes that looked about Cahira’s size. He almost felt bad about using the stolen money, but only for a moment. Cahira needed the shoes if the two were to head out that morning. It would take almost all of the money though. Cai looked longingly at a finely wraught steel sword, hanging on a blacksmith’s rack in his shop. <BR><BR>“What I wouldn’t give to have that beaut’” He thought longingly. He stood there for a moment, fantasizing about the sword, but a dark look from the blacksmith sent him on his way quickly.<BR>
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby Ainariel » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:26 am

Lack of sleep left Terod in a mood equivilant to that of a zombie. He hadn't been able to find the old scholar, and spent the entire night roaming the streets like a drunk, pondering if what he was doing was right. Was it? Was there anything wrong to wanting treasure? Greed....<BR><BR>He wasn't being stricken by it, was he? Him, Terod, charge of an old blacksmith who knew nothing of fancy trinkets or pleasures, being stricken by greed? <BR><BR>Perhaps there was something more than the treasure that kept him so intrigued. Perhaps it was the idea of finding something that was lost and proving that he did have quality. Was that what he wanted? <BR><BR><i>What you need is answers, not the money or the quality,</i> he suddenly realized, <i>to find out who you really are in the world. And what it takes to achieve.</i><BR><BR><i>Great Arda, now you're getting sentimental. Hang it all.</i> <BR><BR>He paused a moment in front of a blacksmiths shop, looking at his wares then his eyes wandering to the old blacksmith. He thought of his home in Rohan, and of the man he called father. No particular thoughts ran through his head.....just visions of home. Security. Safety. And everything else he had grown up knowing. <BR><BR>Now it was time to grow up. <BR><BR>Tensing his muscles, he knew what he had to do: head back to where the treasure hunters were meeting and hear the rest of the tale. He was joining. He was joining to learn to grow up. <BR><BR>Moving suddenly away from the shop, he bumped into a boy of about 15 years of age. <BR><BR>"Cai, isn't it?" Terod recognized the half-elf in an instant. He felt himself smiling at the boy, and wondered what he had been doing out late, too....
Ainariel
Ranger of the North

Postby ElfMaiden13 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:48 am

---Cai'd POV---<BR><BR>"Terod!" He stepped back, "You startled me." "What are you doing out so early?" Terod asked, eyeing him curiously. Cai held up the brown bundle he held in his hands. "Shoes for Cahira," He let his arms fall back to his sides. "Shoes then. I didn't know you could find shoes at a blacksmiths shop." Cai felt heat rush to his face. <i>"Stop it! You've got nothing to be embarressed about you fool!"</i>Cai thought to himself vehemently. Terod raised an eyebrow scepticly. "I..I was looking at the swords," Cai blurted, adn immediatly regretted it. He never made excuses to or shared his thoughts will almost perfect strangers. Almost all he knew about this man was his name.
ElfMaiden13
Ranger of the North

Postby Ainariel » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:32 pm

Terod could hardly help but smile at the reddening chap. What had gotten him so flustered? <BR><BR>His eyes wandered up to the sword in the window.<BR><BR>"You like it?" he asked. Cai nodded, slowly, still red. <BR><BR><i>I hate to make the lad a charity case....</i> thought Terod, <i>well....</i> <BR><BR>He reached into his coin purse. He made it customary to carry a good deal of money around with him, for his "father" had made sure that he was not in poverty when he left. <BR><BR>He pulled out several silver pieces and handed them to the boy. And though he could tell the lad didn't enjoy it, he ruffled his hair. <BR><BR>"If we're going to be battling orcs, it would be ideal to have a weapon," he said, "Find what fits you best. It may be awhile till we find another blacksmith." <BR><BR>He turned quickly, for he wasn't sure his emotions could handle whatever reaction came from Cai.
Ainariel
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)