The Mercenary Patrol

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby soul_warrior » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:28 pm

The white halls of minas tirith reverberated with hushed discussion. Several figures sat gathered in a group around a large marble table set before the throne. The voices were raising in a fever pitch, an obvious argument was in the way of working itself up. The king sat on his throne hunched forward the source of one raised voice, another a black cloaked man whose sever hunch couldn’t hide his height. Both were set against the third man The general of the armies of Gondor. <BR><BR><BR> <i>general</i> “ We cannot spare a man if this is another assault from the Easterlings”<BR><BR> <i>Aragorn</i> “ What choice do we have I will not abandon the men of that outpost nor the outpost itself ”<BR><BR> <i>Unknown Stranger</i> “ We must not abandon that foothold or there will be worse yet to come from that wasteland. Why not send a mercenary force out…….obviously because of the price, a small one….I know enough of the merc’s around middle earth that I should be able to find a number of strong fighters quickly.<BR><BR> <i>Aragorn</i>“ I will gather the funds, gather this force quickly”<BR><BR>The group disperses, Aragon to his personal chambers the general to his post and The darkly clad stranger to set himself about his task.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>The sun shines down on Minas Tirith in another joyful and bright day hiding the hidden malice that threatens the city. Eznorb was not in a pleasant mood……this black smith had taken much to much time with his small order. The shop was recessed behind a small bar and wasn’t frequented by many customers, both buildings were made of badly deteriorated wood and neither had a sign showing there kind of wares. Eznorb walked silently past the bar and to the Small battered wooden swinging doors to the Smithy. He stepped in and was assaulted by the familiar smell of Sweat and blood burning. The smithy a Dwarf was bent over the small forge hammering out a sheet of red hot Iron. Eznorb waited only a second before roaring<BR><BR>“DWARF……….EY DWARF…………..”<BR><BR>The burly dwarf turned from his hammering saw who it was and turned back to his work. The dwarf picked up a pair of tongs and dunked the red hot metal into a barrel of water. Wiping his hands he turned back to Eznorb. <BR><BR>“If you got your money that Armour’s done and a right fine bit of work if I don’t say so myself “ <BR><BR>the dwarf roared laughing as he finished the sentence.<BR><BR>“ it’d better be da best Armour round as long as it took yous “<BR><BR>The burly tattooed man handed over a small bag of silver and gold coins.<BR><BR>“ well lemme see de armor”<BR><BR>The dwarf with no small amount of pride pulled out the arm guard. It was custom fitted to Eznorb’s huge arm and would go from the base of the gauntlet that he fought with all the way to the base of his neck. Eznorb took the armor and slid it onto his massive arm. It fit like a glove…..The small rectangular plates would allow him to freely move his arm while still covering it with steel. Eznorb took his gauntlet out of his pack and put it on. The armored gauntlet clicked softly into place and the armor was perfect. The dwarf whistled softly seeing the large blade on the gauntlet<BR><BR>“ that’s going to be a fierce weapon for slayin……………Orcs” The note that he ended on was more of a question than anything else.<BR><BR>“ I decide what it cuts “ Eznorb responded still investigating the Armour.<BR><BR>The door behind Eznorb creaked it’s way open on rusted hinges and closed with just as much noise. Eznorb didn’t turn to busy inspecting his armor.<BR><BR>A voice sounding like ancient scrolls being unrolled spoke up. <BR><BR>“are you Eznorb Gnaf? “<BR><BR>Eznorb turned the …creature before him was bent with age beneath a long black cloak and hood. Despite the sever hunch it was almost certain that he was not human as he was still taller than Eznorb’s impressive height. Eznorb silently nodded.<BR><BR><BR>“hey I don’t want any trouble in here “ cried the dwarf suspecting bad blood between the two.<BR><BR>“I have a very generous proposition for you” the voice said from behind the cloak ignoring the protesting dwarf.<BR><BR>Eznorb now very curious and followed the strange being outside even as he removed the spiked gauntlet and replaced it into his pack. His other weapons and traveling gear were stashed inside of the room that he'd gotten in one of the many inns.<BR><BR>“Come with me to the king’s hall…….the king himself has wish to hire you for a mission. The other mercenaries were much easier to find as a messenger could be sent with a letter to them……..but I know you don’t read.”<BR><BR>Eznorb wondered how this strange apparent servant to the king knew anything about him. They worked there way through the laborious checkpoints and gates that led to the kings throne and Eznorb saw as they entered the hall that there were many figures in the hall and he guessed that most of them were like him mercenaries. The king himself was there walking amongst the mercenaries talking to them and inspecting them……………….
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby Aranel_Sarlonde » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:58 pm

Kali stood quietly ebhind the arched doorway that led to the throne room where Lord Aragorn had called for a meeting with the best mercenaries in the realm. Her curiosity had won her over when all the servants in the palace were told to stay away from the King that day.<BR><BR>"Kali..." came a belle like voice from behind.<BR><BR>Her green eyes widened even more than before, she quickly fell to the floor in a submissive stance, "My deepest apologies your highness..."<BR><BR>Lady Arwen stood before her in all her elvish magnificance, a small smile crossed her face as she looked at the young servant, "Get up Kali....I have a job for you.."<BR><BR>Doing as she was told Kali glanced back in the throne room at all the strong well weathered faces. She jumped when cold steel touched her hands, "No! M'Lady, I'm sorry...I won't let it happen again!"<BR><BR>"Kali, calm down. I'm not going to do anything to hurt you," Arwen sighed sadly. She wasn't sure how to break Kali's fear of people. Shed been beaten as a young child, "I only wish you to take the king his sword...he'll need it if he's going to convince any of these mercenaries to help fight for us......"<BR><BR>Her fingers fiddled nervously with her brown tunic as her other hand held the famous blade. Queen Arwen must trust her immensely to hand over the sword that was reforged for King Aragorn. The queen had already walked into the throne room and took her place by her husband's side. Kali swallowed hard, her burnette hair flowing sweetly as she walked into the throne room. All whispers came to a halt at the new presence of the king's sword, it was infamous hence why Kali knew the silence wasn't for her. Keeping her walk proud and dignified she knelt in front of the king.<BR><BR>"Your sword My Lord," she bowed her head as per protocol and held out the neatly sheathed sword. Lord Aragorn smiled thankfully and took his sword strongly. Kali quickly took her place at the queen's side smiling that she was trusted enough to be allowed in such a secretive meeting.<BR><BR>
Aranel_Sarlonde
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen902 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:05 am

<BR><i>Trying to ignore the fierce headache that came from drinking slightly too much the night before, Brynne stood half-hidden behind the rest of the mercenaries in the huge hall and glanced at all the faces around her, measuring the possible strengths and weaknesses of each person. Most had left her alone, not wanting anything to do with the tall figure who stood casually behind everyone else and hadn’t said a word since she entered the hall.<BR><BR>The hood of her dusty black cloak was already pulled forward far enough so only her eyes could be seen, but as soon as Lady Arwen entered the hall, Brynne raised a hand to pull it further forward. She knew Arwen well and was sure that the Queen, if she recognised her, would try to talk Brynne out of this job, whatever it was. Brynne still held the letter that had been sent to her and now read it quickly once more. It gave no real information, only the instructions to come here.<BR><BR>The king had started talking to and inspecting each mercenary as he moved around the hall. Brynne knew that although she stood at the back he would reach her eventually. It didn’t matter anyway. She had come here because she had been asked to come here and knew that Aragorn would not refuse her after having requested her presence in the first place.<BR><BR>Brynne watched curiously as another man entered the hall. He was evidently another mercenary, a menacing presence as he entered, but he entered the hall with a confidence that some of the others lacked. It was obvious to tell who those were, they huddled together in small groups, talking softly and couldn’t meet the gaze of the King when he reached them. The silence when the Kings sword had been brought in had lasted and the young woman who had brought it in now stood at the Queen’s side, smiling but looking slightly curious.<BR><BR>Aragorn was now heading towards her. Brynne was already aware of his gaze on her but hoped that someone might interrupt before he reached her and had a chance to question her. She knew that it had been a very long time since she had seen either Arwen or Aragorn, and as she had changed a lot in that time it was possible that neither would recognise her, but she realised that she would probably attract more attention with her hood covering her face than she would by letting it fall back. After all, she could normally pass for human.<BR><BR>Sighing, but fairly sure that it was safe here, Brynne pushed the heavy hood back and calmly ran a hand through the tousled waves of her long, dark hair to tidy it a bit and ensure that it covered the points of both her ears. The only thing that really betrayed her as an elf were her eyes, many people grew uncomfortable if she stared at them for too long, so provided she didn’t gaze at one thing for too long she might be able to pull this off.<BR><BR>It looked as if Brynne might be able to avoid an audience with the King, however, as the man who had entered after everyone else seemed to be making his way over in an attempt to reach Aragorn.</i><BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby elfshadow » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Reomas stood in the enormous stone hallway in the city of Minas Tirith, listening quietly to the conversations of the soldiers around her. Among the people in the room were the best mercenaries from around Middle-Earth, King Aragorn and Lady Arwen of Gondor, and Reomas' own master, Theomir of Rohan.<BR><BR>Reomas caught the eye of King Theomir. She did her best to look alert, disregarding the fatigue she felt from the long journey to Minas Tirith from her home of Edoras. Reomas was a servant to Theomir, the most trusted by far. She was allowed into the most secret meetings of the King and his advisors, as well as neighboring politicians, most of them Gondorian. It was King Theomir who had personally trained Reomas as a bodyguard, for no enemy would expect a female to be as well-trained in the art of swordplay and battle as she was. She accompanied the King on all of his most important missions, including the one of today.<BR><BR>King Theomir smiled and motioned for Reomas to come forward. She obeyed instantly, walking quickly through the heavily armed mercenaries, their eyes watching her with suspicion. After all, the only women in the hall were her, Lady Arwen, a slightly elvish-looking female mercenary, and one woman who appeared to be in the service of Lady Arwen. Reomas soon reached Theomir.<BR><BR>"Reomas," he said to her, without any greeting. It was the King's way to say what was needed to be said without mincing words. "These men that you see here are mercenaries, the most talented in their field from all of Middle-Earth. They are here to serve myself and Lord Aragorn to protect the lands around our kingdoms from evil creatures, released after the War of the Ring. We need the best, strongest fighters we can get. Reomas, I need you to fight with them."<BR><BR>Reomas looked at King Theomir in awe and amazement. "Me?" she said to him. A thousand thoughts were running through her head. She'd never fought in a real battle before, her experience consisted mostly of swordplay contests between the Rohirrim, contests in which she was usually entered by the King himself. She was tall, but she was not, as a rule, strong. How could she do this? She was about to voice her doubts to the King, but seeing the look in his eyes she decided otherwise. "I will do what you ask of me, my King," she stammered, bowing slightly.<BR><BR>"Thank you, Reomas," the King answered. "I must say, I shall miss you in my service. But we need you to fight. Do what your leaders tell you to, for they are experienced and knowledgeable. You must be careful now, evil is ever drawing in on us. Don't trust anyone but yourself, and always be on the lookout for traitors. I have strong faith in you, Reomas, you will not fail the kingdom of Rohan."<BR>
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby soul_warrior » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:31 pm

Eznorb was tired of watching this king and his lover inspect the gathered mercenaries. Most of them were like mongrel dogs and Eznorb doubted that most of them had even seen real fighting. There were several that caught his eye though. One of them was a muscular yet light framed man and another a small slip of a woman. Those two at least looked to have some fight in them.Another had a lean hard look about her and Eznorb suspected she at least knew how to fight even if she'd never actually been in battle. Eznorb watched as a small petite woman, a servant bowed offering the king his sword. He’d had enough Eznorb shouldered his way past a small group of these pathetic fighters and walked directly to the king.<BR><BR>“ what you want?…….you call many o de mercenaries of dis city up and you stand ere inspecting us like sheep. Stop watching us and tell us what you want done and why the huge pay for dis ting or you feel de wrath of me fist’s for wasting my time.”<BR><BR>Eznorb made fist’s with his huge slab like fist’s to elaborate on the fact that he would carry out his threat.<BR>He was surprised when this unimpressive man didn’t flinch but seemed to grin at his boldness. He heard the shuffling of feet as many of the men gathered began to step away not wanting to get involved in this. The same raspy voice that had brought him hear spoke up from behind him.<BR><BR>“You will respect the king or die for your insolence”<BR><BR>Eznorb turned he Faced the black robed figure for a second before his fist lashed out. Eznorb Thought The ancient voice meant an equally old body and expected his fist to slam through the creatures skull in a shower of dust and powder. A claw like hand leaped out from the black robes and grabbed Eznorbs huge fist stopping it cold. He felt the impact through his entire arm. Eznorb leaned pressing with all his might and found his booted feet sliding backwards on the hard marble floor. His arm shook with the effort yet this strange creature showed no sign of weakening or tiring. Eznorb felt a cold blade touch his throat gently. Without releasing his pressure He glanced down the silver blade. The king himself held the sword and looked dead serious about cutting Eznorb’s throat.<BR><BR>The kings voice spoke calmly<BR><BR>“ stop this foolishness or your pride will cost you your life.”<BR><BR>Eznorb hesitated only a second before relaxing his strained arm.The claw retired back to it's shadowy embrace in the cloak<BR><BR>The king spoke again.<BR><BR>“The outpost at Morodor has been attacked and possibly taken by an unknown force. I am sending a small force made up of mercenaries to investigate and I will not lie the odds of your return to claim your gold should the outpost have already fallen or is being besieged are slim. The objective is to send a small enough force that should the outpost have fallen you all will be able to make your way to it without being observed although this means that should you be attacked by a large force that you will stand little chance and that is the reason for the large sum being offered for this contract. I will also pay double if information should be gathered as to the size of the force arrayed against us and from where it’s coming.”<BR><BR>Eznorb digested and processed all this for a moment.<BR><BR>“you sendin mercenaries because dey die cheeper dan you fancy soldiers me tinks. But de money you offerin be to good to pass up……I’ll go but most a dees yellow snakes here wont know how to hold dere blades let alone fight.”<BR><BR>He gestured to the mercenaries standing behind him. A chorus of protest’s some sounding less convincing than others rose…………………………….
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby Bragolancaion » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:12 pm

Standing with his back against the white stone that made up the throne room in Minis Tirith, Bair listened to King Elessar explain the situation after the small incident with the newcomer. His knives were now in place in his sleeves. He might be a mercenary but he was faithful to his King and Queen nonetheless. “Sounds interesting,” said Bair after the King was done talking. “I’ll do it and come back alive to retrieve my money. Don’t know about everyone else though.”<BR><BR>“Good,” said Aragorn, “Leave as soon as possible. You are dismissed and good luck.” Before leaving the throne room Bair bowed to his king and then left with the rest of the mercenaries. They all agreed to meet at the city gate in an hour after they got all the stuff they would need. Bair walked into an old rundown looking building on the second level of the city. Smoke filled the air and men were everyone fighting, drinking, and kissing the woman that sat on their laps. <BR><BR>“Hey, Bair. What happened at the palace?” asked a man pushing a woman off his lap and walking over to Bair.<BR><BR>“I’m going to the outpost outside of Mordor and then report back to the king on what has happened. I’ll be traveling with a band of other mercenaries. Some look like they’d run at the first site of an orc, but a few will stand fast and fight. Why do you want to know?”<BR><BR>“If you’re going than can I take your second in command? There is no grantee that you’ll be coming back now is there?” said the man now producing a knife from his sleeve.<BR><BR>“It sounds like your challenging me to a duel? That is the biggest mistake you’ll ever make, and the last,” and with that he produced two knives both glistening silver from the sunlight pouring in through the windows. The man lunged as Bair stepped back to evade him and then with a flick of his wrist a knife penetrated the mans back. Blood soaked through his shirt as he fell to his knees and ultimately to the ground, dead. Bair walked over, pulled the knife out of the man’s back, and wiped the blood on the man’s shirt. “Raul,” he called out.<BR><BR>“What?” answered the barkeeper.<BR><BR>“Tell Telor that I’ll be going on a mission from the king and will be back soon three bags of gold and one silver richer. I could possibly double that,” said Bair turning away from the man as his eyes bulged. He left the building and traveled down to the gates to wait for the rest of the mercenaries to show. <BR>
Bragolancaion
Shield Bearer

Postby Aranel_Sarlonde » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:51 pm

Kali stood nervously outside the palace doors wondering what she’d gotten herself into. After the mercenaries had left Lady Arwen and Lord Aragorn had gone into a quiet discussion forgetting she was there. She stood quietly and made to leave the throne room before she was stopped by the king himself. Bowing submissively she listened to the request.<BR><BR>“Kali….you were a nurse during the wars of the one ring correct??” came his strong but gentle voice.<BR><BR>“Yes my lord.”<BR><BR>“Good….I want you to take three of the best swords out of the armory. One for the man named Bair, one for the man called Eznorb, and one for yourself.”<BR><BR>“My lord??”<BR><BR>“I’ve trusted these men with the fate of not only my kingdom but also with the lands of Rohan with Lord Theomir’s permission. But I wouldn’t trust half of them as far as I could throw them. Lady Arwen has done well to inform me of your loyalty to the kingdom so I’m asking for your assistance. I want you to go with these men under my order, you’ll be given a annotation of passage with them, and report to me every few days,” he told her knowing she couldn’t refuse.<BR><BR>Kali knelt in shock. Travel with Mercenaries?? Her?, “Of course my lord.”<BR><BR>She made her way to the armory instinctively. Pushing open the heavy wooden door she looked at the gleaming steel that was so familiar to her. She knew every blade by its weight and touch. She’d spent hours in this room caring for the weapons that had brought so much destruction. She glanced at the one blade that she knew almost better than the king himself, Narsil. The blade the king used before the reforging of his elvish blade. She picked it up, while it was obviously too big for her she knew one of the two men would put it to great use. <BR><BR>Not minutes later she’d been given a good steed from the stables and she made her way to the gates of the city. She swallowed hard as she stopped only steps away from the rough looking men…and woman from what it looked like. She jumped down no one paying her much mind. Each blade sheathed had been pulled down from her horse and stood with her as she yelled out as loud as her normally quiet voice would let her. No answer over the deafening banter between the warriors.<BR><BR>Sighing frustrated she set her jaw and unsheathed Narsil with much magnificence. Many blades were unsheathed in answer and aimed at her little frame. Without firsthand knowledge she knew fear was more than evident in her eyes, but not her voice, “Which one of you is Bair and Eznorb!?”<BR><BR>Two men made there way to the front swords still ready in hand. Kali felt her heart jump to her throat at the tall men in front of her. She knew the one that spoke was Bair as he had no accent, “What’s a little thing like you doin’ down here and with a blade?”<BR><BR>A yellowed piece of parchment was extracted from a pouch at her side and handed to him, “Lord Aragorn has instructed me to present you two with these blades,” She gripped Narsil possessively as well as the other at her side. Bair smirked arrogantly and handed the note to Eznorb who promptly laughed, “Den give up de blades and be gone with cha!”<BR><BR>Glaring she handed Bair, Narsil as she liked his attitude better than the other. But then she turned to Eznorb, “I’ve been given right of passage to travel with you. Don’t think you can get rid of me so easily.”<BR><BR>She shoved his new blade into the ground in front of him daring to tell her different.
Aranel_Sarlonde
Ranger of the North

Postby soul_warrior » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:20 am

Eznorb looked at the sword that now lay buried in the ground, stronger fiercer men had been killed for less yet here this frail woman stood despite the obvious fear in her eyes. He sheathed his own Scimitar. In a rush he ripped the blade out of the ground brought it back and swung forward. The blade stopped only inches from the girls face. She stood there unflinching although Eznorb noticed her eyes flutter slightly as if she might pass out. Eznorb swung the blade down holding it upside down. He roared with laughter. He already liked this unskilled soldier she was braver than many.<BR><BR><BR>“yous stay wit me dat way wen da orcs fill you wit arrows or da Harad leave you wit a spear in da heart I will carry yous all de way back ere, you brave. You don’t need to rot out dere for da dogs.”<BR><BR><BR>He thought about what he’d said for a moment and was roaring with laughter again. A few hesitant chuckles joined in with his raucous laughter. Eznorb took the blade and sheath putting it under his belt on the opposite side of his scimitar.<BR><BR>“I take dis gift from you and yous king you both made wit iron in da blood. Now what yous name be?”<BR><BR>The small woman hesitated slightly before answering <BR><BR>“ I am Kali.”<BR><BR>Eznorb nodded and walked to his horse. The stallion was as black as night and almost as wild still. It was a horse from his homeland and it was faster and lighter than almost any of the steeds in the west it’s kind was bred to endure long runs. The horse was bare except for a small harnes around it’s neck for tying it up as all harad horses were taught by kicks of there riders feet. This kept both hands free for fighting. Eznorb took his maul from where he’d let it fall on the ground. His gauntlet was in his pack along with a full load of dried meat and water pouches. He dropped to one knee beside his horse setting the maul on it’s head with the shaft pointing skyward he called out in a soft voice.<BR><BR>“god you keep me under yous watch dis ting dey send us on. I will kill many bad tings and dey will come to put me in dey prison’s again me tinks but I not let dem and you not let dem and mebbe dis be da last time I need kill for de money”……………………….<BR><BR>He heard several men chuckling at his display of humility and he only glanced up keeping note of who was mocking him before continuing.<BR><BR>“ dey don’t tink we come back from dis ting but I know you will keep me safe”<BR><BR>One of the fools was still laughing. A thin meager looking man who was covered in dirt as if he hadn’t bathed in many years thin darting black eyes looked out from greasy brown hair. Eznorb would enjoy killing this man when they were out of this country. He mounted his black horse and kicked it’s ribs. and they were off. They made a straight line for the river crossing………………………………......<BR>
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby Arwen902 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:41 am

<BR><i>Halfway through Eznorb’s display of humility Brynne arrived at the meeting point. She was greeted by a few whispers and sideways looks that she barely acknowledged, keeping her eyes fixed upon the kneeling form of the huge mercenary and the other man, Bair, and the woman who had entered with Aragorn’s sword in the earlier meeting. <BR><BR>The other men had been muttering about her, none too quietly, all the way through the meeting too and by now she was fighting the urge to use her sword against them. Many of them doubted her strength and skill with a sword and thought that this mission was best suited to men, although over half of these men looked as if they had earned their reputations as mercenaries by slitting throats in the dark and had no experience of real battles. <BR><BR>She cast a cynical glance over the assembled group but decided not to express what she thought about most of them. Brynne had returned to the inn she had been staying in only to collect the few things she had left there, and had been wandering the streets for the best part of an hour before she had to meet with the rest but, strangely enough, she was still one of the last to arrive. <BR><BR>She had heard all of the earlier conversation, between the two men and the young woman, Kali, as she approached the group and was amazed to see that the woman never flinched even when the sword tip was inches away from her face.<BR><BR>As the company began to make their way out of Minas Tirith, Brynne found herself riding next to this woman, not far behind Eznorb and Bair. She studied the backs of the two men pensively for a while before turning her attention to the young woman who still looked slightly dazed but, then again, it would be very surprising if she wasn’t slightly shocked because of the events of earlier,</i><BR><BR>Kali?<BR><BR><i>Brynne wasn’t sure that she had heard her name right but Kali turned to face Brynne and nodded, so Brynne continued,</i><BR><BR>Eznorb was right, not many people would stand unflinching with a sword barely six inches from their face. Not showing fear is a good way to start with men like these, they’ll more likely be scared of you.<BR><BR><i>It wasn’t a question so she didn’t really wait for an answer. Brynne was curious as to why the King had so meticulously chosen these men and so, as she turned to take note of where they were, Brynne continued,</i><BR><BR>Does Aragorn really think this can be done? Or is this simply an easy way to dispose of a group of men who have possibly the worst reputations in Middle Earth? <BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby Aranel_Sarlonde » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:59 pm

Kali rode quietly at the back of the caravan that made it’s way out of Minas Tirith. She couldn’t feel anything but uneasy about journeying out of the only home she had ever known. Fear, she had to admit, was most prominent in all of her feelings at that moment. Her sanctuary had always been inside those white walls and now here she was riding away form it with some of the most dangerous beings to ever roam Middle Earth.<BR><BR>“Oh what have I gotten myself into,” she muttered quietly.<BR><BR>Her strawberry roan shook his white mane as the winds began to pick up as the procession made it’s way to the river passage. She thought back to only days before when she’d heard soldiers talking about the changing winds suggesting a storm moving in. Sighing quietly her green eyes looked around at the men and women around her. What would make them choose such a life? Most of them could easily be such prominent members of society, leading members in any field of their choice, they could even have families. Why?<BR><BR>A man with greasy brown hair fell back next to her leering. Kali kept her eyes forward now that she was being watched. Her unease grew as his watchful eyes grew more intense. Her frustration grew as she shot a most annoyed glare at him and force her steed into a short gallop that got her away from him, unfortunately it also brought her more into the group she was to travel with. Looking to her right, the now strong breeze blowing her hair back, she saw the woman she remembered being called Brynne.<BR><BR>“Um…Lady Brynne??” she called out sheepishly.<BR><BR>The woman looked over at her a softened hardness in her eyes, “Just Brynne…. what is it…Kali right?”<BR><BR>Kali nodded, “I was wondering,” she shouted over the now extreme winds, “Why do you choose such a life as this????”<BR>
Aranel_Sarlonde
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen902 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:04 pm

<BR><i>Brynne considered the question for a while as they rode. She knew perfectly well why she had chosen this life but was incredibly reluctant to express it in words now. The grief was still much too near. So the answer she gave was the honest truth, she was just trying to avoid speaking of her family, or what was left of it. The hint of melancholy that shadowed her dark blue eyes was falsely absent from her voice as she said,</i><BR><BR>I couldn’t speak for the rest of these people but I chose this life as it was one of the only options left to me. Besides, it’s not a bad life. The money’s fairly good and you get to travel.<BR><BR><i>She paused to adjust her sword slightly, attempting to stop it from banging against her hip with the horse’s movement. Although Brynne had bound her hair back before meeting the rest of the group, several strands had pulled loose in the errant winds that also stung her eyes to blow across her face and again she irritably raised a long fingered hand to brush them away. <BR><BR>A silver ring that had been a gift from her husband adorned the fourth finger of this hand, but the long scar that started between Brynne’s middle and index fingers and crossed her hand to disappear beneath her sleeve also showed that this woman was no stranger to battle. As she dropped her hand back to her side, Brynne turned back to Kali,</i><BR><BR>This is not exactly the safest or most pleasant job and, as Aragorn said, there’s very little chance of us returning anyway. The reason most of these men are here is because they couldn’t resist the possibility of that amount of money. So, what made you decide to join us?<BR><BR><i>As she waited for an answer, Brynne systematically checked each of her weapons. Unsheathing first her hunting knife and then checking the arrows in her quiver with the slightest insinuation of disgust in her expression. After years of checking her weapons just after setting off on a journey, this action had become habit but Brynne had never liked the bow and arrows that she carried and used them only as a last resort. However, any weapon to a mercenary was a useful weapon so, as much as she disliked it, Brynne had continued to carry the bow with the hope that she wouldn’t have to resort to using it. The dark haired mercenary turned a questioning gaze on the young woman but kept the silence, waiting for Kali to answer,</i><BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby soul_warrior » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:48 pm

The immense damage done during the siege of Osgiliath had left only a single narrow causeway to cross the river. And though the reconstruction was well under way and Dwarven workmen could normally be seen scurrying over the shattered towers and walls .the only alternate paths across were several small ferry rafts all of which were now moored against the fierce storm coming. Osgiliath was now occupied by a large number of troops in response to the growing dangers perceived on the borders. Here and there the occasional inn shop or smithy had popped up inside Osgiliath as merchants tried to eke out a living selling wares to the soldiers and masons.<BR><BR>Eznorb had silently observed the same strange fool that had leered at him now attempt to irritate that Kali. He really was going to enjoy killing this fool. The ride to Osgiliath had taken longer than necessary as the mighty storm had begun to vent it’s fury upon the land. Great gust’s of wind made even talking difficult and sheet’s of rain began to fall drenching everyone. Eznorb’s great bulk shivered uncontrollably he was still used to the intense desert heat and as he wore no shirt and the pants were little protection against the rain and wind. He was grateful when the patrol reached the stone buildings. A Gondorian captain and a several of his soldiers were waiting for them there. With a smug air of superiority and apparently expecting blind obedience he called out to them<BR><BR>“ You men will stable your horses at the yellow water inn spend the night there and acquire whatever provisions you will take with you on this patrol. From here on out I am in charge and I will be going with you on this patrol. You will follow my orders or at best you will stay here and rot in the stocks or at worst you will find yourself run through on the plains but either way you will do as I say. I expect everyone of you at the Yellow water inn tomorrow morning at sunrise ready to leave.”<BR><BR>With out further introduction he turned and left. A rousing chorus of catcalls and boo’s followed his footsteps. Eznorb shook his head at the foolishness of this captain but made his way hastily to this Yellow water inn the thought of a warm fire were very inviting. The mercenaries spread out through the war ravaged city and only a handful were heading for the Yellow water inn. Eznorb saw the sign. A yellow mug was carved on it. The building was in fair shape compared to many inns Eznorb had slept in. The shutters were still all attached and only one window was broken in the front. The paint was still clearly distinguishable as green and even in the cold rain delicious scents wafted out of it’s double doors. Eznorb dismounted with all of his gear and walked through the doors. The room was slightly smoky and filled with the aromas of stale beer burned food and pipe weed. The inn’s patrons were mostly soldiers and dwarves with the odd traveler here and there. Eznorb walked across the wooden floor the where the proprietor stood looking out. Eznorb reached into a small pouch at his waste and pulled out several coins and placing them on the counter said.<BR><BR>“ Dere be a black stallion outside yous keep good care o dat horse or dere be heads rollin cross dis ere floor. Yous bring me tree meals two tonight and one tomorrow two hours before sunrise. Das good?”<BR><BR>The owner looked slightly irritated but nodded his head. He yelled back into the kitchen for a small boy to show Eznorb to his room. The kid was no more than ten seasons old but he gruffly told the wall of a man to follow him. Eznorb grinned and followed the room was large and had two beds and a small chest. The boy left telling him that he would probably have company in this room Eznorb sat silently on the bed warming up and praying silently……………………….<BR>
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby Aranel_Sarlonde » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:17 pm

<i>This is not exactly the safest or most pleasant job and, as Aragorn said, there’s very little chance of us returning anyway. The reason most of these men are here is because they couldn’t resist the possibility of that amount of money. So, what made you decide to join us?</i><BR><BR>“I didn’t decide to join you. I merely followed a request that my king gave me,” Kali replied quietly. Truth be told she could’ve easily said no and refused to come. But even someone as quiet and withdrawn as she needed an adventure…even it the likely hood of coming back alive was very slim, “But I have to admit…. it is rather exciting.”<BR><BR>Black angry clouds swirled overhead as they finally poured out their anger drenching the company. Kali shuddered as her clothes sat wet against her skin. But she sat proud trying to not show any weakness around these people, it certainly wouldn’t help her of these mercenaries knew how scared she really was…or how cold. She barely listened to the Captain that approached them in Osgiliath she was too busy looking around at the once grand city. The formerly tall white stone buildings lied in ruins around them while merchants and such ran for cover from the storm. Her brunette hair plastered against her face when she turned to see Eznorb’s reaction to the captain’s announcement of traveling with them. Lord Aragorn must really not trust these people. They seemed nice enough to her…. well, most of them. She shuddered when she saw that one man leer at her again.<BR><BR>Her horse shook restlessly as she looked for the Yellow Water Inn; she was horrible at waking up in the morning…she might a well be there so she didn’t miss everyone. Her green eyes watched everyone else take off in their own directions finding places to sleep or-…whatever it is the mercenaries do. A yellow mug caught her attention, sighing with relief she walked into the very tavern she was looking for. Keeping her eyes averted she made her way over to pub owner and paid for a small portion of food which she took over to where a fire was burning so she could warm up while eating. This being one of her first times in a tavern she tried to keep from being too curious.<BR><BR>She jumped almost a foot in the air when a hand clapped down on her shoulder. Turning she came eye to eye with the man that made her the most uncomfortable in the company. Trying to offer a small smile, which she was sure ended up being a grimace, “um…. hello.”<BR><BR>“It’s Kali isn’t it??” he smirked at her. She nodded and tried to make her way away from him, “Yes, that’s my name.”<BR><BR>“What’s it stand for??” he followed her.<BR><BR>She sighed frustrated, maybe mercenaries just can’t take a hint, “…Apikalia…that’s what ‘Kali’ stands for. Excuse me, I need to get a room so I can get some sleep for tomorrow.”<BR><BR>He deliberately stood in her way, “There’s plenty of room in my bed…”<BR><BR>“Then find someone who wants it!” she snapped her green eyes flaring angrily. Quickly throwing so coins in the owner’s direction she left him standing there and followed a boy who could barely be past ten seasons if that old. Her heart dropped when the boy opened the door and she saw none other than Eznorb on the other bed. <BR><BR>“My day just keeps getting better and better…” Squaring her shoulders she walked to the other bed. She wasn’t about to have a repeat of downstairs, “You stay over there.” <BR>
Aranel_Sarlonde
Ranger of the North

Postby Aranel_Sarlonde » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:18 pm

DP....sorry
Aranel_Sarlonde
Ranger of the North

Postby elfshadow » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:49 pm

Reomas sighed with exhaustion. She had not spoken to a single soul since she had agreed to accompany the mercenaries on their patrol of Middle-Earth. The bumpy ride to Osgiliath was uneventful, and she had spent it sitting in a corner with a cloak over her head, accepting no food, merely water. She had noticed only two other women in the entire crew, one a hard-looking mercenary and the other one she remembered seeing seated next to Lady Arwen of Gondor. The women had spoken to each other briefly before going their separate ways. But the short journey was soon over and they were in Osgiliath.<BR><BR>Reomas barely heard the Gondorian captain shouting orders, but it didn't matter much. She only knew she was supposed to be at an inn the next day...something with the word "yellow" in it. Oh well, she thought to herself. How many inns could there be with "yellow" in the name? Reomas decided to forgo the cheap, tawdry-looking conditions of most of the lodging, and instead seek refuge somewhere outside for the night. After all, she was used to camping in much harsher environments than the ruins of a city.<BR><BR>Looking around for a sheltered spot outside, Reomas noticed a small cove surrounded by fallen stone, presumably from the buildings that had been there before the fort had been destroyed. Perhaps ten by ten feet, the cove would serve as a resting spot until the next morning. But when Reomas took a closer look, she found someone already occupying the area. It was the one of the female mercenary soldiers, Byrn or Brynne or something. She seemed to be handling a small knife which was keenly polished.<BR><BR>Reomas sighed again, searching for another place to sleep. But by now, darkness was beginning to fall and she did not trust the people of Osgiliath, being mostly tradesmen, merchants, and soldiers. She asked a small boy who was running to one of the inns if there was any room left. "No, ma'am, we're all filled up for the night," he answered, smirking at her strange, Rohan attire.<BR><BR>She would have to find something else. But with the moon covered with clouds, she could barely make her way through the fallen rocks and buildings. Finally, she decided to approach the mercenary woman in the cove she had seen earlier. Reomas would have to ask the woman to share the alcove, much as she didn't want to impose. Glancing inside the small area, she found the woman still quite awake, now checking her the many bows inside of her quiver.<BR><BR>Taking a deep breath, Reomas spoke. "Excuse me please, but do you think I could have a corner, just for tonight? The inns are all full and there's nowhere else to rest...." Reomas trailed off, visibly wincing at the woman's stony stare. She waited for her answer.......
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby soul_warrior » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:13 pm

Eznorb didn’t quite know what to think when the door opened and in stepped the slight figure of Kali. He respected her bravery but he made a point of not spending much time around women and did not look forward to this. She looked rather upset and gruffly told him to stay over where he was. He resisted the urge to laugh at the irony of her ordering him around. He rose deciding that he would go get some food rather than wait for the owner to send some to him. It was still pouring outside as the odd customer walked in shrugging off rain. Eznorb walked to the counter. The small common room was slowly filling.<BR><BR>“I get de food and eat now.”<BR><BR>The owner yelled back into the kitchen as Eznorb took a seat next to the other mercenary that Kali had given a blade to. He was busy working down a heaping plate of food.<BR><BR>“I be Eznorb. Who’s you?”<BR><BR>“Bair. “<BR><BR>He said going back to his food. The servant boy walked over with a plate for Eznorb brimming with hot bread and a meat gruel. They ate together in silence. The entire time Bair was eating he would stop and adjust the heavy sword at his waist. As both neared finishing Eznorb realized that with all the shifting that this Bair was doing of his new sword that he must never or rarely have worn a sword before.<BR><BR>“you need learn how to use dat ting” Eznorb said gesturing towards the sword at Bairs waste.<BR><BR>“you’s go outside wit me and I go get my blade and I teach you to use dat ting.”<BR><BR>Bair laughed “ you’re a madman it’s pouring out.”<BR><BR>“de orcs no care if it’s pouring when dey figure out you got a blade you don’t know how to use.”<BR><BR>“alright”<BR><BR>Eznorb finished and went back to his room to retrieve his own new blade, it would do him some good to practice abit with it before actually having to use it in a fight.<BR><BR>Eznorb opened the door to his room, it was dark inside but he still heard the sound of a blade being drawn from it’s sheath by Kali’s bed.<BR><BR>“is just me I be back later to sleep” Eznorb called softly.<BR><BR>He quickly retrieved The larger heavier of his two blades and went back to the common room. Bair was already outside.<BR><BR>Rain still poured in sideways sheets. Eznorb drew his blade and threw it’s sheath under the eave of the inn where it would stay at least partially dry. Bair did likewise. <BR><BR>“you watch all of me or you get hit where you don’t see. “ he flashed the heavy sword it clashed with Bairs blade and Eznorb’s foot flashed out and kicked Bair’s leg out from under him. Bair managed to avoid tumbling backwards and took a heavy knee into the mud. He rose swearing softly. <BR><BR>“ready?” eznorb asked<BR><BR>Bair only nodded.<BR><BR>Again there swords met and Eznorb’s foot lashed out but this time Bair’s own foot met him mid kick.<BR><BR>They went on like that for hours Eznorb never doubting that if it had been a real fight that he would have quickly won but still Bair learned quickly and only ended up in the mud one more time. It was already dark before the winded Bair called for a stop. Rain now fell in a slow drizzle and Eznorb picked up his sheath and replaced the sword in it. <BR><BR>“now you know how to hold dat ting at least and you give dem orcs a good show of blood if dey tink wrong.”<BR><BR>Eznorb laughed hard and walked inside. The common room was now empty except for a few die hard drinkers and he took his second plate of food that night right then with water dripping off of his eyebrows into his now cold gruel. He finished rose and walked back to his room. He stopped. A man was standing his ear against the door of Eznorbs room. It was that blasted idiot from earlier! Eznorb didn’t bother trying to hide his heavy booted feet as he ran to the man. He heard the stomping of Eznorb’s heavy feet to late and turned to take one of Eznorbs slab like fist’s right in the nose. Blood gushed freely as a small dagger clattered against the wooden floorboards. Eznorb hauled him up by his shirt and punched him again his head snapping back.<BR><BR>He growled into the mans broken face holding him inches from Eznorbs massive body<BR><BR>“if you still ere when we leave de town I kill you. Leave you hangin like a dog for de orc’s to eat you’s toes” <BR><BR>Eznorb threw him to the ground kicked him hard in the rib’s feeling at least one give way and walked back into his room. He lit one candle and walked over to where Kali lay. She was still asleep. Eznorb nodded to himself blew the candle out and crawled back into his own bed. He was glad for the course blanket keeping him from feeling the cold. He slept in oblivion……………………………….<BR>
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby Arwen902 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:30 am

<BR><i>Choosing not to look up when she heard the approaching footsteps, Brynne placed her quiver down beside the rock wall next to her sword and waited for the person, whoever it was, to speak first. Her sword was still within easy reach and she still had her hunting knife at her side despite the casual expression on her face. Once she did look up, distrust was evident in her eyes and the newcomer was faced with an unblinking stare. </i><BR><BR>Excuse me please, but do you think I could have a corner, just for tonight? The inns are all full and there's nowhere else to rest...<BR><BR><i>Once she saw it was the other woman who had been present in the meeting and not one of the other men, Brynne’s expression softened slightly. The woman was soaked and that made Brynne aware of just how wet she also was. She hadn’t paid much attention to the pounding rain and, as an elf, the cold rarely affected her but she was now aware of the incessant water seeping through her clothes and drenching everything around them.<BR><BR>The woman, whose name Brynne was sure had not been mentioned, looked fairly nervous about asking Brynne to share the small shelter formed by the rocks of broken walls and the mercenary could not help but smile slightly at that. This cove was good shelter against the elements, and would probably look especially inviting if all the inns were full and there was no-where else left to lodge for the night.<BR><BR>Brynne had not bothered to go to the inn the Gondorian captain had mentioned while barking orders earlier as she knew that that was where most of the others would go and it would be overcrowded at least. Normally, she would not refuse any inn because of overcrowding or anything else, but her aching head from the night before was a constant deterrent to her getting drunk again. If she had stayed in that “Yellow water inn” or whatever it was called, Brynne was sure she would not have been able to get up in time to travel with the rest of the company and she had no intent of being left behind with the masons and soldiers.<BR><BR>Turning her attention back to the woman who stood shivering in front of her, Brynne rose to her feet and smiled slightly,</i><BR><BR>I recognise you from earlier, though I don’t think your name was mentioned…?<BR><BR><i>The woman looked exhausted and slightly disappointed that Brynne hadn’t answered her question but gave her name,</i><BR><BR>My name is Reomas.<BR><BR><i>At this Brynne nodded to her and sat back down again, curling her knees up and leaning against the rough rock wall.</i><BR><BR>Well Reomas, you’re quite welcome to have a corner, just for tonight, <i>The mercenary smiled again as she repeated Reomas’ own words back to her and continued,</i> You would have been just as welcome the first time you were here, I would be grateful of some company. And I’d still like to know why Aragorn chose this group of mercenaries so meticulously.<BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby soul_warrior » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:21 pm

Eznorb woke to soft hazy sunlight. It was just barely sun up. He sat up in bed glanced over at kali’s still sleeping form. He began to pray softly. His eyes closed concentrating on something that wasn’t there. His words spilled forth like a damn overflowing. He didn’t understand the words he spoke but knew that this was his way of communicating to his god. The words were always different but always the same in that they seemed to woven into some sort of form almost like a song or melody. He went on praying for several minutes oblivious to all around him. His words finally came to a trickle and a halt. He opened his eyes. Kali was sitting up in bed looking at him a puzzled expression on her face.<BR><BR>“you should go eat now you’s soldier boy look like he want to leave as many of us ere as possible dat not going to sit well with a pack of dogs like us”<BR><BR><BR> Eznorb gave a huge grin. He pulled the covers away and turned his legs over the edge of the bed. He’d slept in his wet leggings being somewhat modest around women. He quickly donned his boots stood and left to the common room for some food. There seemed to be no one else up yet besides a rougher looking dark haired man. Eznorb thought was one of the mercenaries traveling on this mission. He turned to the plain wood counter. The owner appeared. Dark bags lined the underside of his eyes and he looked as if about to pass out on his feet.<BR><BR>“I suppose you’ll want your grub now”<BR><BR>It came out more as a comment than a question but Eznorb nodded anyway. Eznorb took a seat at a small square rough cut wooden table. Kali came out shortly after him and after talking to he owner took a seat at the bar A small plate of bacon eggs and a hard biscuit along with a glass and pitcher of water were set before him a few minutes later by the same boy. Eznorb devoured the small breakfast and was busy drinking the water directly from the pitcher before even the first men began to rise. He wiped his mouth with a large smooth forearm. The door swung open heavily…..the captain from the night before strode in as if he owned the building and everyone in it. He was wearing traditional heavy grayish black Gondorian armor and wore a long sword at his waist<BR><BR>“ in a half hour I will be leaving along with all of you ……men……..who are coming anyone not ready will be left behind.” <BR><BR>He turned back out and left. Half an hour later Eznorb was seated on his black stallion with all of his gear. He was in a crowd of men and horses centered around the gondorian captain. They were gathered in front of the inn waiting a few more minutes for late comers.<BR><BR>
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby ThreadStalker » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:32 pm

<strong>soul_warrior</strong> While this is not a class in English Grammar we do insist that it's laws be obeyed. Please use proper punctuation and capitalization when you post. If English is not your first language I suggest you take a little more time to post correctly. Your compliance will be greatly appreciated. <BR>
ThreadStalker
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen902 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:37 pm

<BR><em>Brynne woke up much earlier than perhaps she normally would, the sunlight was just causing the sky to grow lighter above the tops of the stone walls and the darker sky above her head was still littered with stars. She lay still for a minute, her fingers laced behind her head and just watched the beams of sunlight streak the horizon gold.<BR><BR>Eventually though she forced herself to get up and organize her belongings to be ready to move as soon as it was fully dawn. She woke Reomas, who had fallen soundly asleep not long after requesting a place to stay, and stood to shake the rainwater out of her thick black cloak before wrapping it aroung her shoulders again.<BR><BR>Ten minutes later they joined the rest of the company who were already stationed outside the Yellow water inn, the Gondorion captain looked none to pleased at the women’s late arrival. Brynne merely raised an eyebrow in challenge when he caught her eye and stared resolutely back at him. The captain, obviously unaccustomed to having to withstand the intensity of an elven stare, quickly glanced away. This was a small victory, Brynne thought, at least now some of the less courteous men might avoid catching her gaze throughout the rest of the journey.<BR><BR>She had not eaten since at least noon the previous day, but she didn’t feel that hungry and knew that there was food somewhere among her belongings if she should want it. It was only the rain the previous night that still affected her really. Though she had not noticed the moisture that misted her hair and clothes at first, it had gradually soaked through the material, making the cloth stick to her skin uncomfortably and as she rode down to the meeting place, the feel of damp material against her skin had become a nagging irritation that would not cease.<BR><BR>Brynne was used to this obviously, having traveled a lot, but she had always passionately hated having to travel in the rain, pulling the hood of her cloak right up over her head to shield herself from the incessant droplets every time the clouds gathered. This morning, however, was clear and bright so far and, after waiting for a few late comers, the company prepared to ride once more.<BR><BR>As they set off, Brynne found herself riding closer to Eznorb than she had been the day before. Silently she glanced at him and wondered why he was on this mission. On that first day she had picked out those few of the mercenaries that might be able to survive this mission and Eznorb had been one of them. She glanced at him quickly, trying to study his expression but was quickly distracted as the Gondorion captain, riding not far in front, started barking orders at the mercenaries. Brynne rolled her eyes and, muttered to no-one in particular,</em><BR><BR>Self-righteous soldier. Does he really think anyone will obey him?<BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby elfshadow » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:46 pm

The sun shone brightly from amid the clouds, leftover from last night's downpour, as the group of mercenary soldiers set off from Osgiliath. Reomas quietly trudged along with them, ignoring the foul language and taunts from many of the male soldiers around her. She tried to stay close to Brynne, one of only two other females in the group. Brynne was the only one whose name Reomas even knew, and while she had heard the other soldiers talking to each other quite a bit, she was never too concerned in deciphering what they were saying, preferring her own quiet company.<BR><BR>Earlier that morning Reomas had been awakened by Brynne to make it to the orientation meeting at the Yellow Water Inn. They had been a couple of minutes late, but Brynne's glared had silenced any snide comments the other men made. Reomas said nothing, but stayed a step or two behind Brynne. Brynne, having already established a reputation as a mercenary soldier, certainly held at least some of the other soldiers' respect; Reomas had none.<BR><BR>As the company rode forth after the meeting, Reomas again stayed near Brynne. She noticed Brynne looking around at all the soldiers, perhaps contemptuous towards them, perhaps just studious. <em>Self-righteous soldier. Does he really think anyone will obey him?</em> Reomas doubted that Brynne had expected an answer, but responded anyway.<BR><BR>"Had a bad childhood, that one did," Reomas replied. Brynne turned around, surprised. Reomas could see a small, mirthful smile start to appear on the female mercenary's face, but it quickly disappeared as the one called Eznorb passed by.<BR><BR>"What makes you say that?" Brynne said to Reomas.<BR><BR>"See the way he acts towards the others?" Reomas replied. She pointed to the Gondorian captain, who was even then teasing and taunting the other young girl who had accompanied the band of soldiers, Reomas thought she had heard the girl called Kali. "He's all attention-wanting. Can't stand to be out of the loop, so when someone's not talking to him out of their own free will, he orders them around so they notice him."<BR><BR>Brynne laughed. "What are you, some kind of mind doctor?" she asked, only half joking.<BR><BR>"I've lived and worked in the service of the King of Rohan for almost all of my life. When I was younger, they'd put me in charge of taking care of the various small children around the royal House. Since their parents weren't there most of the time, they'd scream and have tantrums when the parents were there."<BR><BR>Brynne nodded. "Well, whatever it is, he sure needs some shaping up."<BR><BR>"What you say we teach him a lesson?" a voice from behind stated menacingly. Reomas turned around. The voice was that of Eznorb, one of the soldiers. How had he gotten behind them? Reomas had no idea, but she swallowed, trying to speak. The thought of talking to any one of the rough mercenaries was enough to scare her out of her mind.<BR><BR>"I ever catch you talkin' 'bout a captain tha' way again, I'm gonna tell on you." Eznorb was obviously joking, but Reomas failed to see this.<BR><BR>Unsticking her throat, Reomas replied. "Well, when I'm a captain and I see mere soldiers like you ordering your comrades about, you're going to be out of my service."<BR><BR>Ezhorb stared at Reomas for a minute, then laughed out loud. "You, you're okay," he said, seemingly satisfied with the young maid. "Okay."
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby Arwen902 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:56 am

<BR>I ever catch you talkin' 'bout a captain tha' way again, I'm gonna tell on you.<BR><BR><em>The tone of the mercenary’s voice as he said this betrayed a sense of humour but Reomas remained un-amused as she replied,</em><BR><BR>Well, when I'm a captain and I see mere soldiers like you ordering your comrades about, you're going to be out of my service.<BR><BR> You, you're okay, <em>He paused for a minute, seemingly satisfied with her reply, then repeated,</em> Okay.<BR><BR><em>Brynne turned her head to hide a grin as the exchange between the two continued. She knew Reomas was uncomfortable around these men but, when challenged, the woman seemed quite capable at defending herself. The sunlight shone erratically through the wide gaps in the clouds as they rode but Brynne was listening intently to the conversations going on all around her as Reomas and Eznorb continued to talk as they rode beside her.<BR><BR>She was sure she had heard rumours that one or two of the men were planning to abandon the group close to the outpost and return to Gondor to declare the rest of the mercenaries dead and to collect their rewards having done nothing but desert. Brynne had no intention of letting a group of deserters walk away with the reward money that she intended to claim with those others who did actually do the task and so she had been listening to several different conversations since they began the journey once again that morning.<BR><BR>This landscape was strange to Brynne as she had only ever needed to travel as far as Osgiliath even in recent years her work as a mercenary had never taken her further than this, and she had spent most of her life not traveling at all but merely content to stay isolated in Rivendell with her family and friends. <BR><BR>Her family. The expression in Brynne’s dark blue eyes suddenly turned stony as this thought sprung to the front of her mind. No. She refused to let the unending grief and ghosts of her past steal her concentration from this job. She knew that if she surrendered to these painful memories they would haunt her for weeks and she couldn’t afford to lose either her life or the large reward offered for this job. Both were needed if she was to have her revenge and besides, Brynne had no intention of dying yet. <BR><BR>So she banished the thoughts of her husband, son and brother to the back of her mind, as much as it broke her heart and tore her attention back to the present although the shade of grief never faded from her eyes. She turned to Reomas and Eznorb and asked,</em><BR><BR>How long should it take to reach the outpost?<BR><BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby soul_warrior » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:38 pm

Eznorb was somewhat surprised, apparently he’d judged better than he’d thought. The women in this patrol seemed to be as capable, if not more so than the majority of the men here. He rode beside the two women, thinking idly to himself, and just enjoying the summer heat on his face. <BR> He felt the gentle almost whispering voice of his god in his mind. Eznorb looked down at the muddy road trying to make some sense of the tracks. The mud makes each hoof and footprint very clear and apparent until it was trampled by the next in line, the center part of the road was a mass of mood and prints but near the edges of the road were different kinds of foot prints……feet with claws on the toes. The strange prints went in the same direction as the patrol was going. Eznorb didn’t understand what it meant but knew it was trouble. He quietly pulled on his gauntlet and felt the click as it seated into the metal armgaurd, he then made sure his scimitar was ready to go at a moments notice. <BR><BR>He called to the two women beside him in a near whisper.<BR><BR>“ ey you’s……I tink we look and see da same ting but mebbe you looks and knows what you see’s better dan me eh?. What’s about those feet marks over there?”<BR><BR>He gestured towards the mud prints along the road.<BR><BR>The elf swore loudly,<BR><BR>“ It means orcs were marching along this road since last night. I should have noticed them earlier.”<BR><BR><BR>Eznorb gave a loud cry<BR><BR>“ORC’S”<BR><BR>His shout was answered by the ominous TWANG of arrows being released and a black feathered cloud of death rose from there immediate right. The arrows fell in amongst the mercenaries and cries immediately rose. A black feathered arrow glanced off of Eznorbs armored bicep. He roared with anger and drove his horse forward drawing his scimitar. A wave of advancing uruks poured out of the tree line from carefully concealed hiding places. Men were moving beside him from the patrol to counter the attack. He briefly saw Bair and Reomas. The small wave of bodies met. Eznorbs fast striking scimitar worked one side of his horse cutting down onto steel caps helms and bare green skulls. The heavier gauntlet struck out at exposed necks and faces tearing tough green flesh where it fell. The attack was short, the main orc line fell quickly and the archers fled. Only two or three members of the party were found with wounds from orc weapons but the patrol had been significantly reduced in size and only the better fighters remained nearly a half dozen strong.<BR>
soul_warrior
Shield Bearer

Postby Arwen902 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:28 am

<BR>It means orcs were marching along this road since last night. I should have noticed them earlier.<BR><BR><em>As Eznorb’s warning cry split the silence, Brynne dismounted as quickly as possible, furious at herself for not noticing the tracks earlier. She knew that if she hadn’t been lost in her thoughts and memories of other things she would have seen the tell-tale signs of the orc’s passage long before the company had ridden into the orc’s trap.<BR><BR>A black feathered arrow passed much too close for comfort and, as Brynne reached for her sword, another nearly hit its target but grazed the back of Brynne’s forearm instead as she moved aside. Stinging pain lanced across the back of her left arm and blood began to flow over her wrist and fingers but re-assured by the fact that she could still move the arm, Brynne dismissed the minor wound and kept fighting.<BR><BR>The fight was over quickly. Many of the orcs ran and the rest lay dead at the mercenaries feet as the main line of orcs broke quickly. Several of the mercenary force had died, leaving just more than half a dozen although not many of those that remained were wounded, having been saved by their armour or skill at avoiding weapons. Brynne had been one of the few unlucky members of the company who, without any armour whatsoever to protect them, had been injured, although the graze across her arm was nowhere near as bad as many of the injuries some of the others had sustained.<BR><BR>The crowd of orcs that lay dead were slowly being dragged from the path by those who remained, the Gondorion captain had survived the attack and was currently barking orders once more. Not surprisingly, the man was unhurt, but he wasn’t helping with the removal of the orc bodies, merely standing by and watching.<BR><BR>Brynne glanced down at her arm once more as the wind dragged the torn strands of material of her sleeve across the wound and she crossed to her horse and tore a narrow strip of clean cloth to form a makeshift bandage. As she moved back over to where Eznorb and Reomas were standing she wound the cloth around her arm, attempting to tie it tightly one handed.</em> <BR><BR>This isn’t looking good, is it? How many more orcs do you suppose we’ll meet before we reach the outpost?<BR><BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)