Peace In Gondor

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

Postby Lady_Aremin » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:35 pm

((If you wish to join this RP, please see the<strong>OOC Thread</strong>.))<BR> <BR> Teblis Nadel sat moodily staring into his pint of ale with growing anger. The crowded, exclusive tavern he was in was filled with its usual patrons: fine gentlemen in their billowing cloaks and soft cloth coming straight from a day at work in the Upper Circles, important lords of the Gondorian court meeting for a drink to discuss the latest campaign of King Elessar, and fine ladies in their tailored gowns (many of which Teblis saw regularly at society balls and parties), gossiping endlessly and fruitlessly about which noble had quietly fathered an illegitimate child or the inside scoop on the price of so-and-so's frivilous wedding last week. Weaving among the many nobles that Teblis had grown up around, himself being the second-born son of a more important Minas Tirith lord, he noticed the serving maids, who in contrast to the extravagant or at least expensive gowns of the ladies, wore simple and cheap looking dresses of coarse cloth and dulling color. <BR><BR> As Teblis' eyes wandered the crowd, he centered in on a particularly pretty serving girl with dark hair and brown eyes. She looked directly back at him as she headed over to his table, her huge tray of used drinking glasses never swaying an inch as she precariously weaved through the moving mass of people. He glanced in another direction, aware of his rude stare, and instead met the eyes of several young ladies his age who were intently studying his handsome profile from a few feet away. They quickly turned away from him and back into their huddle, giggling and smiling as their silk gowns russled and their fans waved imaginary heat away from their delicate and arrogant faces. Suddenly Teblis felt a small draft of air and turned to see that same serving girl at his elbow, asking if he'd like another ale. <BR><BR>"No, miss, thank you," Teblis said sharply because of his current anger. <BR><BR>The maid looked a bit affronted, but as it was not her place to rebuke a noble, especially a noble of the Nadel house, she gave Teblis an unfriendly glance and jerkily prounced,"Yes-my-lord....Shall any others be joining you for dinner, as I see you are quite alone presently."<BR><BR>For a split second Teblis' anger flared even higher at the prospect of being rebuked by a serving wench but all the same, he did admire her biting personallity and thought, for a commoner, that she was well spoken. "Yes, two more shall be coming <em>presently</em>," Teblis replied, smiling up at the server with his devilishly handsome dark blue eyes and a row of white, straight teeth. <BR><BR>The serving girl, also smiling, nodded quickly and turned around, retreating across the tavern to the kitchen to fetch clean plates and silverware. Teblis gazed at her retreating back. He knew why he had taken to that serving girl...She reminded him so much of the lady he fancied...so much of the one young woman he...loved? <em>No</em>, said a voice in his head, <em>you do not love her...She is below your class...</em> But if he didn't love her, why was he going through all of this trouble with his parents over her? This train of thoughts brought Teblis back to the source of his anger. <BR><BR>The issue of Ellanine of the Third Circle, as she was insultingly dubbed by Teblis' father Lord Nadel, had been plagueing the Nadel household for more than a year. Ever since Teblis had taken more than a friendly interest in his longtime friend and playmate Ellanine, the Lord and Lady Nadel had objected vigorously. The arguement consisted of two sides: Teblis' argued that Ellanine was the only woman he could ever be truly interested in because she was completely real, unlike the numerous young, wealthy ladies in the Gondorian court that would queue up in an instant to marry an influential and handsome member of the Nadel house. His parents, however, contended that Ellanine was neither affluent nor of noble lineage and therefore it would be a disgrace to himself and the family if he married her. They also stressed that because Teblis was already eighteen, the time was very ripe for him to choose his bride. They had suggested Lady Dierra Byrne, daughter of Lord Elenion, whose impeccable manners and perfect political sense made her the sought after matchmate for their second son. Their first son was already married to the most powerful and wealthy lady they could find, even if she was a bit on the dumb side. <BR><BR>Teblis wasn't interested in finding a bride at all, unless it was Ellanine. He couldn't think of a more suitable person. Ellanine was beautiful and kind to him and was certainly a control on his ever surfacing temper...Her eyes mesmerized the mind and calmed the spirit at the same time. Her poise and confidence matched any of the catty girls in lace and jewels surrounding him; she was his dream of escape from society and court life and he was almost sure he loved her. He thought about the recent wedding in his family...His older sister Linna had married for love into a not-so-perfect family but, since she was a daughter and therefore not as important as the Nadel sons, she got away with marrying the man she wanted to. <BR><BR><em>If Linna can marry that pacifist idiot Herendur, then why can I not marry Ellanine? Hopefully mother and father have the sense to see that Ellanine is a great match, unlike Herendur is for Linna. Now He is a true disgrace to the family name...pacifist, ha....</em> The young lord swirled his ale oncemore, pondering his situation as he impatiently awaited his friends.
Lady_Aremin
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:50 pm

There she was again in one of the council rooms in the citadel. Reonwyn didn't mind traveling to Minas Tirith with her father, not at all, but why did he insist that she join him in his meetings with the King and Steward or other officials and lords of Gondor? She gazed at the stern faces around her, discussing the upkeep and protection of their lands and the spreading of peace throughout Middle Earth.<BR><BR>She slumped down in her hard wooden chair a bit, most likely with an evident look of disinterest on her face. After a sharp glance from her father, Haleth, she sat up straight again and did her best to pay attention. She began fidgeting with the dress she was wearing. The bottom of it was dusty and a few stains of travel could be seen here and there. They had only arrived in Minas Tirith that morning and she was instantly swept of to the citadel without even a moment to wander around the city. <BR><BR><em>I have to get out of here...but how can I escape?</em> After a few moments though, she conjured up a coughing fit. <BR><BR>"Are you alright?", one of the men with a stern face asked her.<BR><BR>Reonwyn stifled another cough so she could speak. "I believe I will excuse myself, if you don't mind. I think a bit of fresh air and maybe a glass of water would do me some good. I'm sorry for interrupting you.", she said and then rose up from her chair.<BR><BR>As she was walking towards the door, she couldn't help but grin and it took all of her will to keep from laughing in relief. She grasped the metal door knob and opened the heavy wooden door. Just to make it seem more believeable, she started up her coughing again and it echoed as she walked down the stone walled hallway.<BR><BR><em>Father probably knew what I was up to, but it's too late now.</em>, she thought, grinning again. She walked down to the stables to find her horse. Reonwyn wandered along the stalls until she found a white horse with a grey mane and tail and flecks of grey throughout it's coat. The horse began pawing at the straw on the floor with it's hooves when it saw her.<BR><BR>"I told you I would get out, Athel." She called him Athel for short, though his full name was Athelwind or Noblewind. She opened the door and the horse walked right out. She put on his saddle and bridle which were draped over the wall of the stall.<BR><BR>Reonwyn climbed up on his back and they rode along at a slow pace at first until they were out of the innermost circle. Once they were out of the direct sight of the citadel Reonwyn stopped and looked out at the winding road ahead of her. Presently, it was clear for the most part. After a bit of rpessure from her heels, Athelwind started off in a gallop. They raced down the street. Anyone who was about to step out on the street stayed in place as they heard the steady hoofbeats coming towards them at a fast pace.<BR><BR>At last Reonwyn and Athelwind came to a stop outside of a tavern. She climbed down and tied him to one of the posts outside along with a few other horses.<BR><BR>She stepped inside the door muttering to herself. "Fresh air and a glass of water? Yeah right. Well, I have had my fresh air but I'd take a stuffy tavern and a mug of ale over sitting up in that room any day.<BR><BR>If not for the green cloak of the Rohirrim that she wore and her face, which everyone recognized, it is likely that someoen would have tried to remove her from that exclusive tavern. She hadn't even bothered to change out of her weather stained and traveled stained clothes. Even though they were of good quality, they weren't at their cleanest. She would have wandered down into one of the even lower circles, but this place was closer.<BR><BR>Reonwyn looked around at all the Lords and Ladies of Gondor, feeling slightly out of place. Then again, it didn't bother her that much. She was free, for the moment, and that's all that mattered. She walked up to the bartender. He began to ask her what wine she would like. The other ladies were sitting around, sipping on glasses of fine wine, and chattering like birds. At least, that's what it sounded like to her. <BR><BR>"No, I'll believe I'll just have an ale."<BR><BR>The man gave her a strange look for a moment, but went back and got her the drink she asked for. It's not that she didn't like wine. She could enjoy it just as much as any of the other ladies. She grew up around the members of high society back at Edoras. Her preference after a long journey ,and a day of talking and listening, was not fine wines, but a good old pint of ale. <BR><BR>She took the mug in her hand, walked over to an empty table, removed her cloak, bunched it up, tossed on the chair next to her, and sat down. Shortly after, a few of the Gondorian ladies came over to greet her and say hello or ask how things were back in Rohan. She smiled politely and answered their questions, though with the shortest answers possible. Eventually they left her be and went back to their own tables. She saw a few of them motioning towards her ever so slightly and chattering amongst themselves in their little groups. They probably thought she was out of place too, at least in her present appearence.<BR><BR>Reonwyn ignored them and began watching the people around her, looking for anyone who was more around her age. She enjoyed talking them occasionally about the comings and goings of Minas Tirith or telling them about the events of Rohan. She spotted one young man only a couple tables away from her, though he looked quite unapproachable, a bit angry in fact. The only others she saw that were around her age were the daughters of the lords and ladies, quite intimidating they could be when packed togather in their little groups, discussing their social lives. She sighed and turned back to her mug once more, taking a draught of ale.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Gayalhawiel » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:49 pm

Ellanine ran over to her stone table with a very hot bowl of soup in her hands. She dropped it on the table, and ran over to the water bucket to help her burning hands.<BR><BR> She squwinted her eyes and bit her lip and prayed for the pain to go away. She looked down at her hands to see that they were as red as as her riding tunic!<BR> After some time at the water bucket she used when cleaning Dergor, she felt ready to go back and eat. She ate quicker than usual, for she had great news for herself, and for Teblis.<BR><BR><BR> She pushed the deep green bowl to the other side of the table, grabbed a look at herself in her mirror, and walked quickly out the door into the stone street that was just buzzing with people.<BR><BR> Ellanine walked steadily up the slopes of the beautiful Gondorian markets and alley-ways, but she was too deep in thought--she wondered how she was going to tell Teblis the news.<em>I'll just tell him what my parents told me... but what if he's with his friends? They always seem to laugh at me when I talk to Teblis...Wait,they shouldn't be there, he told me they were meeting him at sundown, and it's only dusk now...he's going to be so suprised at the news! </em><BR><BR> As she walked up the higher grade colblestone walks, she new she was getting closer to the tavern where Teblis went to meet his friends. She figured she would be able to get in without any <u>real</u> trouble, being that she was of the minimum "rank" to be in that tavern.<BR><BR>Finally, she was there. The front sign was very rusted and some letters almost worn off, you wouldn't think that this tavern was exclusive. She took a very deep breath as she looked herself over, repeatedly straightening out her dress. She grasped her necklace, closed her eyes, and hoped that everything would go right in there. As she opened them again, her trembling hand reached for the nobb. It squeeked as she slowly turned it, and she finally opened the door.<BR><BR> Many women looked around to her and scowled, though some groups smiled and turned back to thier conversations. She decided to shrugg them off, and walk a few more steps into the pub. As she took those slow steps, she noticed a woman of Rohan sitting in the corner with a pint of ale. She smiled, as she had almost never seen a Rohan women who was not staying in Gondor for some time or just here representing Rohan to talk to King Elessar.<BR><BR> She saw Teblis, sitting alone at a table for three, looking very moody. She reached out her hand which landed lightly on his shoulder, she managed to blurt out "Hello Teblis"...
Gayalhawiel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lady_Aremin » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:01 pm

Teblis was stirred abruptly from his reverie by Ellanine's surprise appearance. <BR><BR>"I-...Ellanine," he said a bit confusedly, but his anger had evaporated and another one of his I'm-so-good looking-but-have-no-clue grins was already spreading across his face. Teblis stood up slowly and kissed Ellanine's soft cheek, all to aware of the disapproving frowns of a group of lords at a nearby table, several of them being close friends of his father, Lord Nadel. "I wasn't expecting you but all the same. Please, sit."<BR><BR>The young woman gracefully sat as Teblis pushed her chair closer to the table, his fine silver and black cloak sliding slightly off his shoulder when he moved. Sitting down again across from Ellanine, Teblis took her hand and watched her intently, taking in her immense beauty as well as her emotions. Though Teblis' male friends chided him almost daily about courting someone below their noble class, most of them secretly agreed that Ellanine's beauty outdid all but the most gorgeous noblewomen. Secretly they envied Teblis for finding such a stunning girl that was also kind and down-to-earth, a combination that was rarely found in court ladies. <BR><BR>"Has something happened? Would you like anything to drink?" Teblis asked because he saw the dark-haired serving girl making her way toward his table oncemore.
Lady_Aremin
Ranger of the North

Postby Gayalhawiel » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:46 pm

Ellanine was slightly suprised at Teblis's open closeness to her, for it seemed that as he was well aware of the eyes watching his every move with her, it seemed he no longer cared.<BR><BR> As he kissed her cheek, she felt safer than she ever had in her life, even though she was a bit intimedated by the noble women around their table, always whispering.<BR><BR> She sat down and looked deeply into Teblis's eyes, but out of the corner of her eye she saw a serving girl coming to thier table.<BR><BR>Finally, she snapped out of her daze and realised Teblis was talking to her.<BR><BR>"Ummm...no, I don't think I'll be having anything..."<BR><BR> When the serving girl came to their table, she asked Ellanine what she would be having even before Teblis could say a word, but Ellanine answered her with a simple,"No, I won't be having anything this evening, but thankyou." Ellanine smiled sweetly at her, and the serving girl certainly noticed her kindness, as she walked away smiling, now with more confidence, as the higher "ranking" ladies and lords treated her not all too politely. <BR><BR> She looked back at Teblis, smileing, and suddenly realising why she was here.<BR><BR>"Oh, Teblis, I came here to tell you about the big news. Well, you now how Fearin has said that my smithing skills have been getting better, well, I'm leaving behind the "class" I'm in and I'm now his apprentice!!<BR><BR> As Ellanine said the last few words, Teblis could tell that she was really excited about the news, and when she said the word "apprentice", he smiled the widest he had in days, weeks even, and he began to feel happy again, like he did before his restfullness began.<BR><BR>"Thats wonderful!" he proclaimed as he looked into Ellanine's beaming face.<BR><BR>"But, even better, Fearin is holding a feast in honour of the occasion, and as it is customary for my family, friends and a special guest to arrive, I want you to be that special guest!" Ellanine was overwhelmed with smiles, and she slightly bit her lip as she waited for Teblis' answer, praying that it would be a "Sure I can!" answer.<BR><BR>"Oh Ellanine!" he exclaimed, "I'll be there!"<BR><BR>"Wonderful!"<BR><BR>Ellanine stood up as Teblis followed, and as soon as he had gotten on his feet, she jumped into his arms! She kissed him, not caring what the people around her thought, and when they were both just holding each others hands, she proceeded to tell him to meet her at her house two days from now at sunset. She gave him a peck on the cheek, they said their farewells, and she was off, out the rusted doors, as Teblis' friends walked in...
Gayalhawiel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lady_Aremin » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:51 am

Teblis stood in a state of acute shock as Ellanine flew out the door, her shining dark hair streaming behind her. A long and complete silence followed as the nobles took in what they had just seen. Warily, Teblis sat down again and ran a nervous hand over his face. Kissing on the cheek was risky enough in public, but a full-on kiss in front of others was not only scandalous, but highly impolite. Teblis shrugged and looked up quickly as he heard someone saying his name.<BR><BR>"Teblis, what the devil was that?!" Elean Hol said exasperatedly. His handsome but haughty features were stony as he looked down at his best friend. <BR><BR>Behind Elean stood Teblis' other close friend, Brenimor Falan. Brenimor was smiling mockingly down at Teblis as he said,"It seems this has gone farther than we suspected, Elean. This bad habit has to stop, friend, or it might cost you your position in society."<BR><BR>At these last words Teblis stood and knowing that at least Brenimor wasn't being serious, he smiled. "Ahh my little habit? Ohh and since our positions matter so very much to us all...My, my, my Brenimor! Merely standing next to me could damage your reputation!" Teblis said, his voice very sarcastic and mocking. <BR><BR>"Well, perhaps you two don't care about vicious rumors and not being invited to the Citadel as often as you should, but I do...Even though I am the third son, how I act will relate to the amount of money and responsibilities to the Lordship that my father gives me later," Elean said, sitting down and ordering three pints of ale from the passing servant girl. "Teblis, that girl may be good-looking, but she is bringing you down. Face the truth and get rid of her, soon."<BR><BR>Teblis looked across the table at Elean and was about to retort hotly that he didn't give a damn what his place in society was because his older brother was going to inherit the lordship and the title, but Brenimor spoke before Teblis could get any words out. <BR><BR>"Gentlemen, remember why we're here," he said with a slightly evil grin on his face. "Teblis, I've found a few new recruits, one of which you might be keenly interested in...Lord and Lady Elenion and Dierra and Calentar-"<BR><BR>"Calentar Byrne...I'm jealous of him, I must say," cut in Elean."As Lord Elenion's only son, he stands to inherit the Elenion title. His sister will be married off to someone powerful no doubt-"<BR><BR>Brenimor interrupted and continued his story,"As I was saying, Dierra and Calentar came to call at our manor yesterday with their parents. Lord Elenion is interested in Dierra marrying me, but I must say she is quite a fireball. Anyway, Calentar came for a much different reason. He and I and Dierra were alone in a sitting room and Dierra asked to be excused for a moment. Calentar became very serious and quietly asked if he could join the Army!"<BR><BR>Teblis was shocked for certain. Did Calentar not want the glory and honor that came with being a powerful lord? Perhaps he was just as tired of this meaningless society as Teblis was...<BR><BR>"Interesting," Teblis said evasively. "Though, can he be trusted? Our plans for Rohan probably should not be shared with him just yet, if he is allowed to join." He started to ponder if he would allow Calentar to join when Brenimore spoke again. <BR><BR>"Speaking of Rohan, have you noticed that Rohirrim girl over there? Quite a catch, though she looks a bit disheveled. I think I'll go and talk to her. Care to come?" the corners of Brenimor's mouth twitched as he rose and walked sedately over to where the blond beauty was seated, drinking what looked to be a pint of ale.
Lady_Aremin
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:22 pm

Reonwyn sat there, observing those around her, and absent mindedly swirling her ale around in the mug. She watched as the girl rushed in and went over to the young man who was a couple tables away from her. She noticed the glances and aghast expressions on the faces of those who watched them, apparently thinking the girl from the lower circles was not good enough for him, a soon to be young lord. <em>If they're happy, that's all that matters.</em>, she thought. Reonwyn gazed into the mug, watching the swirling liquid, thoughts swirling around in the whirlpool of her mind. <BR><BR>Seeing the young couple reminded her of her father's constant prodding at her, telling her she should be courting and looking for a suitable man instead of spending so much time riding across the plains on her horse and exploring the land. Yet, any she knew of simply wanted a woman who would cook and clean, or stay home to take care of the children. Women of her "status" back at home were expected to do things like that, to settle down. The thought of settling down for good hadn't even crossed her mind and if it did happen to creep in, for some reason, she shoved it right back out again. <em>I'm only 19 and there's so much to do yet.</em><BR><BR>Reonwyn wondered what her father and the others were up to now, closed up in that room. <em>They probably don't even remember that I left. It's not as if I had any important part in what they were talking about anyway.</em> She sighed and began twisting one of her golden locks of hair around her finger. <em>I should enjoy this freedom tonight while I have it. Any day now he'll be dragging me off to a ball of some sort or a feast.</em> She took another draught from her mug. Then, feeling as if there was someone behind her, she turned around to see one of the other young men ,who had joined the one that had just been talking to that girl who rushed in and out again, coming towards her. She brushed the piece of hair she had been furiously twisting away from her face.<BR><BR>"Hello...",Reonwyn said, slightly puzzled, but happy that she at last had someone to talk to.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby zimraphel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:04 am

"So I can't just leave them here?"<BR><BR>"He'll want them as soon as you are able?"<BR><BR>"You're sure?"<BR><BR>"Sir, you could not leave his order here! The family is out this evening."<BR><BR>"You're sure?"<BR><BR>"Yes." <BR><BR>Thus ended a particularly cloying conversation with one of Lady Nadel's Gentlewomen, who Herendur had developed a particular dislike for, ever since she had first dubbed him 'a base-born and most coarse man.' She seemed to share his feelings exactly. Herendur had trudged resignedly up through the Gates, in order to deliver a 'most important' order of scrolls and texts to the youngest of the Nadel sons. Perhaps the term idot would have been more fitting?<BR><BR>However, as the, self-important servant had refused to take the books to Teblis upon his return ("I do fear I shall misplace them," she had mewed noxiously.) it seemed that Herendur should be forced to seek Teblis, which proved a most upleasant proposition. He knew well enough where to find the boy, as his wife had spoken at great length and distaste of the exclusive tavern where Teblis was wont to drink and carouse with friends. <BR><BR>So it was not the prospect of seeking one in a city of thousands that upset him, rather the prospect of seeking <em>that</em> one. To put matters lightly, he and Teblis had never seen eye to eye. This was an unfortunate thing indeed, as he had married the boy's sister Linna. <BR><BR>Herendur drifted to full awareness from his scowling distaste, finding himself on a regretablly familiar pathway. The waste and garbage, as usual, was brushed and swept aside into the narrow channels which flanked the street. Swinging above a fashionable arched doorway, which he assumed was made to replicate the popular Elven style, was a wooden board which pompously proffered the tavern's name to the world.<BR><BR>"Oh, look sharp Gil. Master book seller has come 'round." What horrid quality made gurads everywhere so utterly and detestably stupid? The men flanking the dorwaay snickered at Herendur, who felt in no mood to tarry with idiots.<BR><BR>"Has master Teblis been about this place this evening?"<BR><BR>"Aye."<BR><BR>"Well I have here-" Teblis shifted the akward jumble of reading materials he had in his arms. "-an order which Master Nadel placed recently. I don't suppose you could keep them until he comes out?"<BR><BR>"Ah no. Better you give 'em to Nadel. We'd lose 'em, 'eh Surdil?"<BR><BR>"Right." Herendur was quite dissapointed at this point. Either that line had becoming a running joke, or the entire city was involved in a conspiracy against him. 'Twas most likely the latter. Upon entering the tavern he was immediately greeted with puzzled glances and a heavily pronounced akwardness emitted from the nobility. <BR><BR>"So how is Linna?"<BR><BR>"Is the, er, Nadel girl faring well?"<BR><BR>Uncomfortable chatter buzzed about his head. In truth he should have preferred them to curse and accost him. It at least would have been honest. He did notice, as always, te old soldiers who had once known his father. They had literally fought their way to honor and title. Some gave him nods in recognition of his blood, some shook their heads as if to say 'A child of Hirgon should have turned out better.' By the time he reached the table where Teblis sat, he was done feeling annoyd, yet anxious enough to depart.<BR><BR>"Your order Nadel." The boy looked up with an unveiled dislike, to find himself under the scrutiny of a pair of firey iron eyes. <BR><BR>"I had never marked you to have such an interest in the study of merchantry between our land and Rohan."
zimraphel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arwen902 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:09 pm

<BR><em>Half asleep, warmed and comforted by the flickering firelight that caused shadows to dance across the walls of the sitting room like phantoms, Dierra Byrne sat in one of the huge arm chairs that were arranged untidily around a low table in the centre of the room. Her feet rested on this table, her ankles crossed casually, although she probably would not have dared to sit like this had her father been home. She held a half-full glass of wine in her right hand and a thick and slightly dusty book in her left, held open to a page although her attention had wandered and she wasn’t really reading it any more.<BR><BR>The day before Dierra had tried to talk her brothers into taking her hunting, but all had had other things to do and since her father knew nothing about any of his children’s secret expeditions she knew he would expressively forbid it if he found out. He expected her to be waiting patiently at home and there was little she could do about it but Dierra had done little for the past few hours except daydream or read, and was slowly growing more and more impatient waiting. Just as she was about to completely disregard her father’s wishes (not for the fist time, although Lord Elenion had never allowed any of the other nobles to learn about his daughter’s disobedience) and go out riding, there was a soft knock at the door followed by a slightly muffled but still coherent curse as someone tried the handle only to find it securely locked.</em><BR><BR>"Dierra, let me in."<BR><BR><em>The voice was clearly that of her oldest brother Calentar and he sounded agitated, but Dierra knew that he was aware of other ways into their home and, although she had locked the front door behind her as she entered, not expecting any visitors, he should be able to get in easily enough without her assistance. The only times he ever used the front door was when he was too drunk to remember any other entrance, and Dierra had little tolerance for her brother when he was in this state so she decided to let him make his own way in and remained silent. She had obviously only irritated him more though because he continued to knock.</em><BR><BR>"Dierra, I don’t have time for games. Open this door."<BR><BR><em>There was urgency in his voice now and, sighing, Dierra placed the book and glass on the low table, slipped out of the armchair and crossed the distance from the fireplace to the door. Her thick skirts rustled slightly as she walked but her feet made no noise at all on the stone floor and the dominant sound was still that of sticks and logs crackling as they burned. The light from behind her threw her shadow to join those of the flames flickering across the white walls and gave the illusion of ghostly red highlights in her dark hair. <BR><BR>She reached the old wooden door and, rolling her eyes, turned the key in the lock and pulled the door open. As soon as she did this Calentar walked through the door and stood facing her without removing his cloak or hood. Dierra frowned at him, although she welcomed his company, it normally took a lot to annoy the calmest and most laid-back of her brothers and he looked fairly disgruntled. Calentar was twenty two years old, three years older than his sister and he was perhaps six or seven inches taller than her but both siblings had the wavy dark hair of their father and almost black eyes of their mother, although Dierra’s eyes were barely a shade lighter than black, whereas Calentar’s eyes appeared to be dark brown and currently held the slightest impression of discontent. Dierra began to speak but Calentar already knew what she was about to ask and interrupted her,</em><BR><BR>"Never mind where I’ve been. Listen, I need to ask a favour."<BR><BR><em>Dierra raised an eyebrow and waited, knowing he would continue whether she protested or not.</em><BR><BR>"Yesterday, when we went to visit Brenimor Falan and his family and we were alone with him when you excused yourself for a minute, I asked him if I could join the Army."<BR><BR><em>His sister’s expression remained casual but something in her eyes changed as she began to speak again,</em><BR><BR>"You asked what?"<BR><BR><em>But he silenced her once more by raising a hand and continued,</em><BR><BR>"Please, let me speak. Brenimor told me he would have an answer for me today if I met Teblis Nadel, Elean Hol and himself at the tavern, you know which one, but I have to meet father very soon to meet this new woman he thinks will be suitable for me to marry. So you see I have a problem, but I was wondering, would you go to the tavern and ask them for an answer?"<BR><BR><em>Dierra sighed once more and she regarded the figure in front of her for a moment before speaking.</em><BR><BR>"Why are you asking me?"<BR><BR>"Because you are the only one I trust enough to tell and you are the only one I trust enough to bring me a truthful answer. Please Dierra."<BR><BR><em>She was still unsure, not willing to risk the wrath of her father if he found out. As if reading her thoughts Calentar soke again,</em><BR><BR>"Father wishes for you to marry Brenimor or Teblis anyway. If he found out he would merely assume that you were assenting to his wishes and getting to know your future husband better."<BR><BR><em>After considering this for a minute she nodded and reached past him to retrieve her thick black cloak from the back of one of the chairs.</em><BR><BR>"Alright Calentar, I’ll go. You go and meet father."<BR><BR><em>He smiled, happy she had accepted and managed to thank her before rushing out of the door again. Dierra began to pull her hair back out of her way then decided against it, knowing the wind would whip it against her face but deciding she didn’t care. Once she left the manor she walked quickly through the streets before finally reaching the tavern. She entered, intending to stay unnoticed, and made her way over to where Teblis and the others where sitting. As she got closer however she saw that Teblis’ brother in law (although she knew the two men would never refer to each other as such), Herendur, standing before the young man and Dierra caught a few words of their conversation,</em><BR><BR>"I had never marked you to have such an interest in the study of merchantry between our land and Rohan."<BR><BR><em>A cryptic comment but then, Dierra had not heard the rest of the conversation. Not wanting to intrude she spotted Brenimor talking to a young rohirrim woman who looked to be about Dierra’s age and made her way over to where they were, waiting for a moment when she could deliver her message. Smiling at all the people present Dierra said, loud enough so she could also be heard by Teblis but quiet enough that her voice did not carry to everyone else in the tavern,</em><BR><BR>"I have a message from my brother."<BR><BR><em>A simple enough statement which would not make much sense to anyone who wasn’t meant to understand what Dierra meant, she just hoped it would be understood and answered by Teblis or Brenimor.</em>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Aremin » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:24 pm

"Actually, Herendur, I have an acute interest in commerce between the two countries," Teblis replied coolly as he continued to sit while Herendur stood. "But your scrutiny of such interest needn't continue."<BR><BR>After a few seconds uncomfortable silence in which Teblis glared at Herendur and Herendur returned the glare with a fiery stare of his own, Elean cleared his throat loudly and asked what Herendur had in his hands. <BR><BR>With a small mock bow Herendur said sarcastically,"The lordship's reading materials." <BR><BR>Teblis snatched the finely crafted book out of Herendur's hands and displayed a sarcastic grin from his position at the table. "And remind me, Herendur, when exactly you started your postman's job? Don't you recall that usually, items for a member of the family are left at the residence of the family? It was unnecessary for you to come here."<BR><BR>The young Nadel son watched as Herendur's iron-like gaze went from cool to cold and Teblis felt his own temper rise. He had never taken to Linna's husband and he never would, for several reasons. Firstly, Herendur was a lowborn citizen with coarse manners and a mysterious backround. What Teblis seldom realized was that he held in place a sort of double standard: the girl he loved was lowborn and he felt that he should have the right to marry her, but he despised the lowborn man that Linna had married. He justified this double standard by telling himself that Ellanine came from a respectable, stable family and on top of that, she was much more animated and joyful than that introverted Herendur. <BR><BR>Secondly, Herendur was a total pacifist, which Teblis thought was disgraceful and dishonorable. Teblis prided himself on being in a command post in the army and strictly applied himself to bettering his fighting and riding skills, lest a war should ignite. He believed that as a second son who was continually reminded that his brother was to inherit the title of Lord Nadel, he must earn his honor and prestige through other ways, mainly fighting for Gondor and her King. <BR><BR>Teblis hated Herendur all the more because Herendur's father had been an exceptional soldier, dieing at the peak of glory in the War of the Rings, and Herendur disgraced his father's memory and himself by siding against all war and conflict. What an <em>idiot</em>.
Lady_Aremin
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Aremin » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:36 pm

"Good evening, lady," Brenimor replied to the blond's uncertain greeting. She certainly was pretty, Brenimor thought fleetingly. He was about to inquire if he could refill her ale for her when the person he didn't want to see right at the moment walked up to him. <BR><BR><em>"I have a message from my brother."</em> Lady Dierra Byrne said. Immediately Brenimor's senses sharpened and he looked at Dierra's unfathomable expression, trying to read her emotions. <BR><BR>"Er-Pardon me, my lady, but I must excuse myself for a few moments. If you are staying for a bit, however, please await me. I'll not be long," Brenimor said in his most suave voice, eager to get the pretty Rohirrim woman to stay at the tavern long enough for him to talk to her. <BR><BR>Grabbing Dierra's arm as though to dance, Brenimor sedately walked her to the table at which Teblis, Elean, and the man named Herendur were gathered. The situation did not look pleasant, but Brenimor used the tense silence to put in,"Dierra spoke to Calentar and she says that he has a message for us." Brenimor's voice increasingly excited voice betrayed his calm face and demeanor. He then cleared his throat as he handed Dierra into a chair. Was this Herendur not going to leave?!
Lady_Aremin
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:57 pm

"I'll be...here...", Reonwyn said as the young man walked away. She didn't even know his name yet.<BR><BR>Reonwyn watched as he walked over to the table with the girl who had just announced that she had a message of some sort. She half tried to listen, out of curiosity, but could only pick up snippets of what was being said. There seemed to be a strange tension between the man and the others. <em>I wonder what that's about.</em><BR><BR>Reonwyn did enjoy watching people, casually, when she had nothing better to do. What else was one to do when closed up in a stuffy council room? Her habits carried over into everyday life. She particularly liked doing so in Minas Tirith, comparing the likes and differences between the Gondorians and Rohirrim. Reonwyn had become quite keen to reading body language and movements.<BR><BR>Eventually she turned away. <em>No reason to stare. It's none of my business anyway.</em> She instead looked out one of the windows at the front of the tavern. The sky was getting darker and the lanterns that hung along the main road were being lit. <em>Father will be expecting me back soon, I suppose....Oh well. He probably figured that I ran off somewhere anyway.</em> Reonwyn did look forward to the lovely room and comfortable bed that would be waiting for her up there. <em>I'll go back up to the citadel...eventually.</em><BR><BR>When she looked back , he was still at the other table. She began swirling the last remaining bit of ale in her mug again, and then drank it down, slipping into her own thoughts once more.<BR><BR>
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Arwen902 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:11 am

<BR><em>Dierra had to suppress an amused smile as she noticed the slight change that passed across Brenimor’s features when she made her presence known. She managed to keep her own expression unreadable however and let Brenimor guide her across the room to where Teblis sat with the others. As Brenimor stopped beside the table and Dierra took the offered seat she gently shrugged her arm free of his grip and sat back in the chair, first looking at Herendur and then Teblis, sensing the tension between the two but also sensing that she shouldn’t speak of the Army until Herendur had left.<BR><BR>She had an idea, even if she didn’t know the real reason, about why the two men hated each other so much. She had heard how Teblis wished to marry a woman called Ellanine, but his parents didn’t approve, even though they had allowed his older sister, Linna, to marry this man who now stood before them, to marry for love. Dierra knew how rare it was for anybody to marry for love in this awkward society and had heard how angry and frustrated Teblis was being denied what his own sister had been granted.<BR><BR>Dierra had no personal dislike for Herendur, had never really talked to the man, and she watched him and Teblis indifferently. The tense silence was broken suddenly when Brenimor spoke to Teblis and Elean and, although he appeared calm and casual, excitement was audible in his voice as he said,</em><BR><BR>“Dierra spoke to Calentar and she says that he has a message for us.”<BR><BR><em>Now everyone’s attention was drawn away from the two men glaring daggers at each other Dierra knew she had to say something. So, carefully watching Herendur’s reaction as well as the reactions of the others, she said,</em><BR><BR>I spoke to Calentar earlier, as Brenimor said, and he apologises that he couldn’t meet you but asked me to come instead of him to request an answer to his question.<BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Aremin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:48 pm

Teblis sat in a tense silence, his eyes still drifting back to Herendur occasionally, glaring at him and making it as obvious as he could without actually saying anything that he was not welcome. Dierra's statement distracted him for a second, however, when he heard the last bit of it. <BR><BR>"His question...let us discuss the matter over drinks, shall we? Lady Dierra, may I order a glass of wine for you?" Teblis said, being very pig-headed by using Dierra's formal title to spite Herendur, who had no title, even though Teblis had known Dierra from childhood and rarely called her "Lady."<BR><BR>As Teblis oncemore called the serving girl over to order more drinks, he noticed the pretty blonde woman that was oncemore sitting alone. Without a word of explanation, Teblis stood up and roughly shouldered Herendur out of his way, taking a short walk to the table where the Rohirrim sat. <BR><BR><em>"Pardon me, miss, but I was wondering if you would care to join my friends and I for a drink or two? You seemed quite bored from where I was sitting..."</em> Teblis said in almost-flawless Rohirric. <BR><BR>Lord Nadel had forced all of his children to learn the complicated language of Rohan, believing that one day, their learning would pay off in their political endeavors with the ally country. For once, Teblis was thankful that he knew the language of Rohan. As the blonde smiled up at him, he hoped his charm was taking effect. This girl looked to be the daughter of a Rohirrim lord, seeing as she had enough gold to enter and pay for ale at this tavern. <BR><BR><em>She could be useful for the Army...oh yes, perhaps she could...</em> Teblis thought shrewdly as he mentally went over his plans for the relations with Rohan.<BR><BR><em>"May I introduce myself? I am Teblis Nadel,"</em> Teblis finished in Rohirric, another innocently interested smile appearing on his face.
Lady_Aremin
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Aremin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:50 pm

dp...
Lady_Aremin
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen902 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:58 pm

<BR><em>Dierra gazed around the slightly smoky bar room as the small group waited for Teblis, who was inviting the Rohirrim woman to join them. She had visited this bar on many occasions but often went to the less exclusive taverns with her brothers, yet another thing their father had never found out about. She ran a long-fingered hand through the tousled waves of her dark hair, trying to tidy it slightly, as she wondered absently exactly what the Army of the first gate was.<BR><BR>Calentar had spoken of it to her plenty of times, after supposedly hearing of it first from either Brenimor or Elean, but she wasn’t sure that even he had a clear idea of what it was. Out of Dierra’s three brothers Calentar had always been the one who their father focused on most. In Lord Elenion’s opinion, as his oldest son would inherit his title, he was the one who needed the best education and should have the knowledge and ability to cope with the responsibilities of having a place in the court.<BR><BR>The other three of Lord Elenion’s children, although they had been taught etiquette and other things to do with life in this society, had been given more freedom than Calentar and Dierra knew, possibly better than anyone else that Calentar did not want his father’s title. He did not want to have to deal with life in the Royal court. All Calentar really wanted was freedom to live his life as he wanted to.<BR><BR>So perhaps that was why it had been him who jumped at the opportunity to join the Army. He saw it as a way to escape this “meaningless society” and defy their father. And Dierra sympathised with him. Although Lord Elenion wanted Calentar to take his place in society, he also wanted Dierra to marry the son of a rich Lord, an ambition he had been focusing on more and more recently. Dierra however, was not attempting to defy their father, while it was evident that Calentar was. She knew that of her two other brothers Aidanach, only a year older than Dierra and the youngest of her brothers, shared Calentar’s views on society but felt no reason to challenge anyone as he was content with what he already had. Menelon however, was jealous of his older brother and wanted their fathers title for himself. He had always tried to be the better son and always tried to please Lord Elenion in any way possible.<BR><BR>As Teblis returned to the table with the Rohirrim woman Dierra smiled and swept up her wine glass with one hand, deciding that she would order ale the next time drinks were ordered, she was getting quite tired of wine. She watched as they both sat down and heard Teblis say,</em><BR><BR>This is Reonwyn.<BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:12 pm

Reonwyn was stirred out of her thoughts once more by another voice behind her. She turned around this to see not the same young man as before, but the other one, the one who had looked angry.<BR><BR>He spoke to her in her own language and with very few mistakes or mispronunciations, she noted. He was well taught.<BR><BR>"I did not expect to hear my native language here. Quite often the Gondorians overlook the language of the Rohirrim, even though we are allies and friends.", she said in Rohirric. Then she switched over to common speech. <BR><BR>"It is a pleasure to meet you, Teblis. I am Reonwyn, daughter of Haleth of Rohan. I would be happy to join you. It is quite dull, sitting here by myself."<BR><BR><em>He looks a lot more kind now. I wonder what had him so anrgy earlier. Perhaps it had something to do with the girl.</em> She stood up from her chair, grabbed her cloak from the chair beside her and draped it over her arm, and took her empty mug in hand. <BR><BR>Reonwyn followed Teblis over to the table where his friends were seated. She felt slightly nervous, but didn't know why. The others watched her as she walked over. <em>If I knew I was going to be in the company of others, I would have went to my room to change first. Oh well, it's too late now.</em><BR><BR>She stood there and waited as Teblis introduced her to the others.<BR><BR>
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Lady_Aremin » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:46 pm

"This is Renowyn," Teblis said and pulled out a chair for her to sit down in before sitting down himself. Herendur was left standing. <BR><BR>Will he ever leave? thought Teblis. Why is he so interested in my business anyway? Prying imbecile...<BR><BR>"So, tell us, Lady Renowyn, are you here on state business? Or your father?" Teblis said, smiling with feigned polite inquiry.
Lady_Aremin
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Sun May 02, 2004 8:37 am

"So, tell us, Lady Renowyn, are you here on state business? Or your father?" <BR><BR>"Me, well, I guess I'm technically supposed to be here on state busines, but that is not why I chose to come. My father always is insistant that I come with him, though I do not mind that one bit. I enjoy coming here to the White City. It's quite a change from the plains of Rohan and even Edoras. I love my own city... but Minas Tirith, it's wonderful. Sometimes I find it strange how differently we live in some ways. Anyway, yes, my father is here on business. He deals mainly with the relations between Rohan and Gondor. Eomer King often sends him to deliever messages to Lord Elessar and his council. And there you have it. That is why I am here."<em>, Reonwyn finished, giving a slight smile.</em>
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Arwen902 » Fri May 07, 2004 1:25 pm

Dierra listened thoughtfully to Reonwyn's explanationas to why she had come to Minas Tirith and, for the first time realised how different Gondor and Rohan really were. She had visited Rohan often when she was younger and her mother had still been alive. Her father had never really been a large part of her life, or her brothers lives, before their mother had died.

Whenever they travelled they travelled only with their mother, their father always having to stay in Gondor and deal with government issues, and it was only when Dierra was sixteen years old, four years after his wife had died, that Lord Elenion had finally begun to spend more time with his children, instead of sending tutors or friends to spend time with them.

Since then, Lord Elenion had re-married and his new wife had made all the more effort to get to know Dierra and her brothers. She was however a very controlling person, used to always getting her own way and it seemed like Dierra was the only one who noticed that. Being the only daughter, she was the one Nianne went to and tried to get along with but from the first time they met, Nianne had never liked how sarcastic and cynical her stepdaughter could be and thought her insolent and sharp-tongued nature when with her family completely unfitting for a noblewoman.

As Reonwyn finished her explanation, Dierra smiled and, trying to keep any talk away from the subject of the Army while Herendur was still present, spoke to Reonwyn.

I love visiting Rohan personally, although I haven't been there for a long time. I'm the niceities of this society seem so tedious after a while, I would love to travel again.
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Aremin » Sat May 08, 2004 1:59 pm

Teblis listened intently to Renowyn's talk of her purpose in the city, and was pleased to find that his guesses about her usefullness were proving to be correct. Not to mention the fact that this somewhat different lady of Rohan was quite pretty.

Still irked by Herendur's continued presence and nosiness, Teblis said a little more irritably than he should've,"Yes, travelling would bequite a change."

Dierra gave him a look that said 'Don't lash out at me!' and Herendur seemed unaffected, obviously not taking the hint. Then, to atone for his sudden sharpness, Teblis smiled warmly at Renowyn.

"So please tell us, lady, do you ride a lot? I've heard that Rohirrim form strong bonds with their horses..."

Everyone present at the table, all of whom knew Teblis intimately, were either amusingly or interestedly watching him put on this fake, warm fascade towards the oblivious lady from Rohan. Elean looked wary but did not speak up, Brenimor was grinning slightly as he took in Teblis' decieving manner, and Dierra looked sarcastically amused and almost bored. Herendur, however, looked angry and condescending.
Lady_Aremin
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Fri May 14, 2004 6:49 pm

Reonwyn looked at the expressions on the faces of those who were at the table. She felt that they knew something or suspected something she did not, but dismissed the thought. I am just being paranoid...I've been away from people too long, that's it.

"So please tell us, lady, do you ride a lot? I've heard that Rohirrim form strong bonds with their horses..."

"Yes, I ride often and yes, we do. My own horse is tied up outside the tavern right now. Athelwind, his name is, or noble wind in the common speech. He is very loyal to me."
Amrunelen
Mariner

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)