OOC: A New Season Has Come

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

OOC: A New Season Has Come

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat May 08, 2004 10:09 pm

This is the OOC for the RP ‘A New Season Has Come’ a new role-playing story that has a different intent than most. This is an RP dealing with several independent stories that have come together in the right time and place to be written as a full RP. It is focused not on external battles and evils but on internal struggles and growth. It will be ordinary people facing their worst fears and realizing greatest hopes. Think of this story as more of a drama than an action adventure or perhaps the ‘Houses of Healing’ chapter in Return of the King is a better example.

Because of the unusual idea and intimate climate we want to create and protect, we are limiting the cast of main characters to ten. The characters currently involved in the story are:

Anorast
Brehon
Bryttar
Eari
Falathiel
Herger
Jaeniver
Jiyadan
Rholarowyn
Teltasarewen

There will be opportunities for other guest writers with non elvish characters (we have enough of those now) to join in with us from time to time. I ask that the interested writer contact me or post their interest in the OOC thread after reading this post and the current story up to it’s most recent post. Please include a brief character bio and an explanation as to how you see your character fitting in with the current story. If you express interest in joining it will be assumed that you are in agreement and will follow the guidelines listed below. :)

Please DO NOT post in the story thread itself!

Guidelines for this RP:

1. No magic beyond what is written in Tolkien’s work. No magical pets, no incantations, no para-normal abilities or superheroes. However, since elves in Tolkien's world had a certain amount of inherent magic, the only magic allowed is in this context.

2. No dark characters of evil intent or origin, dark spirits, evil sub-plots or otherwise overriding dark under-tones.

3. No great quests, adventures, battles, or other massive involvements.

4. A commitment to the story once your character is involved. If for some reason you decide to leave or need to pull out, I ask for RP courtesy in that you write your character out and not leave the responsibility to the writers still involved with the story.

5. Please do not use color fonts or different font sizes in your posts. Let's keep the look consistent for all the readers.

This is a collaborative role play story that I hope will give the writers an opportunity to explore some of the deeper aspects of their characters. It takes place early in the 4th age during a time of peace and will span a 6 month period of time. With the passage of several years since the War of the Ring and there being no great threats looming on the horizon, the characters involved will now find themselves confronting more of “who they are” as opposed to “what they do.”
Last edited by Rholarowyn on Sat May 08, 2004 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rholarowyn
Warrior Bard of the White Tower

Re: OOC: A New Season Has Come

Postby Falathiel » Sat May 08, 2004 10:25 pm

Cool! This is my first post on the new board so I hope this turns out OK. hahaha

I will be back to edit my character bio into this space later.

Rho and Elengil: this looks awesome. Love the guidlelines. Thanks for putting so much thought into this. I am honored to get to play. :)

Telta: my friend, looks like we need to start some plotting. ;)
Falathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Sat May 08, 2004 10:39 pm

Look at that list of characters. :o

Ready, willing and able to commit to this RP.

Fala looking forward to some of that plotting. :D

*wanders off to read the very first post*
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Sun May 09, 2004 9:03 am

Let me tell you that I can't wait and I am honoured write with you all .

I know I will take great pleasure writing this.

Thanks Rhoe and Elengil to take in charge the settings of this RP.
Love dear.

Until then :wink:.
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Herger » Sun May 09, 2004 10:17 am

I thought it might be a good idea to give everyone a sense of where everyone else is.

Herger has not yet reached the city, though is almost there.

Jiyadan is in the Inn, and Anorast is the only one I haven't talked to yet about this idea:
that being that those at the inn are the Mithril Knights who are in the story, having
traveled here after the battles currently taking place in that RP. - Rho, J, Bry, Telta, Fala,
and Anorast.

If everyone else can just brieftly say where they are at the opening, that'd be great.

Jae if you wanted to be at the inn also, just let us know. Perhaps you met up with the group there.
(smile)

ps - am boycotting smilies until we get *ours* back. (wink)
Herger
Rider of the Mark

Postby Guruthostirn » Sun May 09, 2004 12:47 pm

Well, this shall be fun. It's going to be great writing with you all.

About Anorast, I'm still thinking about exactly what his role in this RP will be. However, as of right now, I don't think he'll be with the MK group.

I'm working on turning Anorast more towards the way he was before he joined the MK's. Right now I believe I'll write him arriving from some (yet to be determined) traveling.

This'll give me an excuse to work on his bio...I'll post it later.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby earendil81 » Sun May 09, 2004 1:12 pm

Well, Eari will be up in the citadel; she's having a very nice conversation with the King. She'll get down to the first circle and the fields of the pelennor later.
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Matrim » Sun May 09, 2004 1:49 pm

Well I must say that Im really intrested in reading this one. I might even apply a little later for a cameo role but for right now I need to get this evil Rping outta me first.

Sits around rubbing his hands together,waiting for the next post to go up.
Matrim
Ranger of the North

Postby Jaeniver » Mon May 10, 2004 3:43 am

I so shouldn't be here...work work work... :roll:

But i was asked to show my face ;) thanks to Elengil and Eari for keeping me updates ;)

I have Jae wandering a little through the city but she'll head to the Inn later :) probably my second post or so. (though nothing's set in stone.)

*rushes out for work*
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

I'm back!!!! Hello MK's!

Postby Idril » Thu May 13, 2004 7:56 pm

:twisted: 8)

Hello all my fellow Knights!!!! Some of you know me, other's may not. I have just returned from the abyss and hopefully will be around again for awhile. I am going to be doing some reading to catch up with what has been going on since my 6 month or so leave of absence. WOW seems weird to be posting!

I am wondering where I might fit in ... any suggestions? Let me know!

Lady I
Idril
Ranger of the North

Postby Jiyadan » Fri May 14, 2004 9:44 am

Idril! Ai, Idril has come! :D

Hello sweety. Thanks for taking an interest in our little PR here. As for where you'd fit in.. alas, not a clue. But don't worry....

We're not exactly positive how it will progress ourselves. We have definite vision for it, but still uncertain of a few things so I suppose the best advice I can offer is to sit back and read for a while and see where and if you think you can fit in.

It's a very different type of story so maybe you'll see right away where you think you fit in, or you might decide its not something you'd want to do.

But for the moment, we're asking people to just kinda wait till the story is going and see how things progress and the direction it takes to see if they would really want to be involved.

But after it's going and established, we'd love to have you as a guest.
:)

And welcome home! ((hug))
Jiyadan
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Sun May 16, 2004 3:11 pm

Well after reading and working and rereading and reworking on it, I've come to like that post. Not perfect but well, I guess perfection doesn't belong to this world :roll:.

This is eari's entry post anyway :wink:.
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Elenath » Tue May 18, 2004 4:07 pm

Just popping in to say that this looks like a great thread, and I'm looking forward to reading it! :D At some point, I might enjoy doing a cameo as some character other than Elenath - explore some other personalities for a little while ;) - depending on how the thread goes. For now, I'll just have fun enjoying all the wonderful writers in here :D
Elenath
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Thu May 20, 2004 9:33 am

I would be interested in joining as a "guest star" at some relevant point, if it's OK with you. I've been thinking of two characters I could use: A Dúnadan ranger, and the hostess of an inn that some of the main characters visit. Let me know if you accept either one (or both).
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Jaeniver » Sun May 23, 2004 7:10 am

Eari, tag me or something when you get back home from mooting ;) need a final check up for my post.

Elengil, thank you for he prodding and editting ;) you're a gem!:D
Jaeniver

Postby elengil » Sun May 23, 2004 8:11 am

rowanberry wrote:I would be interested in joining as a "guest star" at some relevant point, if it's OK with you. I've been thinking of two characters I could use: A Dúnadan ranger, and the hostess of an inn that some of the main characters visit. Let me know if you accept either one (or both).

Welcome Rowanberry :)

As you can see, this will be a very.. very slow moving thread for the most part. While we're happy at the interest people are taking, we just want to warn that it will probably be quite a long time until we get far enough along...

But do please check back as it progresses. :)

Jae: (((hugs))) most most welcome dear one ;)
elengil
Ranger of the North

Postby Jaeniver » Mon May 24, 2004 12:49 pm

finally...the elf has been brought on stage ;)
Jaeniver

Postby rowanberry » Tue May 25, 2004 5:16 am

Thanks, elengil - I'll keep an eye on the story (quite OK if it is slow-moving, gives me time to think and to see what the main characters are like) and jump in for a few posts at some point if I think it is possible. I'll introduce my character(s) better when it becomes more actual.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Zhyranon » Tue May 25, 2004 10:43 am

rowanberry, please keep checking back in especially if you keep using that sig picture. ;)

Zhyranon
Shield Bearer

Postby Jiyadan » Tue May 25, 2004 10:56 am

Tis a good thing, my dear, you posted that comment under that name...

I might feel a twinge of jealousy ;)
Jiyadan
Ranger of the North

Postby Zhyranon » Tue May 25, 2004 12:03 pm

What!?!

Can't a woman enjoy a good ogle over two adorable wolf cubs?

(Just when are we going to get the innocent whistely icon?)

;)

Zhyranon
Shield Bearer

Postby Letora » Sun May 30, 2004 1:27 pm

Hello all. I see that you only want ten characters and you seem to have that. But no one seems to have posted a character outline, so you must all know each other.

I read the first few posts and it's good writing. I'm interested in joining or doing some kinda little thing. Well just in case, here is my char:

Name: Letora Eharya
Race: Elf of the Woodland Realm
Eyes: Green
Hair: Brown
Bio: Daughter to the king of the woodland realm. Letora knows Arwen and has grown up around Arwen and Galadriel, not so much Galadriel. She has been mostly a wanderer and not in Mirkwood but she has recently been home (in the story that could be how I hear of Minas Tirith's celebration).

My char bio is short and all that stuff is short because I usually build my char around the certain RP I'm doing. You can pretty much have me do whatever you need, I don't mind at all and my character can build around all that sort of stuff. My character comes out in the RP so don't worry about the bio and stuff being short.

Anyways...hope you can use me.
Letora
Ranger of the North

Postby Jaeniver » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:18 am

and with a wonderful slow pace we make move on ;)

thanks Eari :D;)
Jaeniver

Postby earendil81 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:42 am

You're most welcome Jae dear :wink:, working on an answer. looks like you inspired my muse :D.

Letora, sorry for not answering you before :oops: . you are right, we know each other pretty well. Well, I invite you to sit down and read for the moment. We want to go on a bit you see.

Just one thing though, and this is just a feeling; while it can be fine, even great, to develop your character around the RP, I think I've seen this RP as one where the characters fight inner conflicts, so they kind of come with a - sometimes very heavy - background.
I am not sure I'm conveying my ideas clearly - I so hate being a non native speaker sometimes :oops: :oops: - but well. Maybe someone can explain my ideas better :roll:.

Edit: it reads almost offensive now I reread, sorry it is not meant to be so but I can't find a better way to tell you what I want to.

earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Herger » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:15 pm

Hey, sorry I didn't actually answer.. but thanks Eari! I'll see if I can explain it a bit more.

Letora

Eari is right, the characters in this thread have very involved histories that have brought them to the places that they are now - to places where there are things they must deal with.

While for most RPs, working a character around a given story is just fine, I think it would not work in this because the story is worked entirely around the characters.

As the first post indicates, this is a story that is based entirely on the growth and challenges our characters must face within themselves and between each other. It is very different from other stories that are based on some action that must be done (quest, battle, etc) that you could fit a character to.

I'll suggest you read along for a while - get a feeling for what we're trying to do - and if you develop a character that you think would be a good addition, then give us a bit of background and you'll be welcome to join us as a guest. :)
Herger
Rider of the Mark

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:18 am

Hello there Friends...

Just perusing the boards now that I have some time and space in my life to do so. :)

Please consider me when you need a guest character or two as well.

I will 'write to specs', if required - meaning if you need a character to fill a function - tell me what you need and I will write it. :D

Ta for now! ~B
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Guruthostirn » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:28 pm

Ok, hate to burst in so frighteningly, but I'd like a few things cleared up.

First off, how are we going to do this? Basically, I'd really like to get going on this RP, but if we're going to do it slow, I want to know that first before I go blundering around. I know a lot of us are busy, Eari will be gone on vacation soon, but I'd Really like to start doing stuff...
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby Falathiel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:57 pm

Hi everyone!! :D

Oh so lovely to see the fairest archer of Dale in here! *waves at Bardy* :D

Guru: Hi! Nice to see you here and nice to hear your enthusiasm! I think Rho is on a TORC break for a month--which I think will end somewhere mid to late July. (She posted something in Orphans.) She mentioned she may pop in here, but I wouldn't count on that right now.

So I don't know if she will post a response right away that will be helpful to you. Perhaps Elengil may--she and Rho are kind of the "responsible parties" here. (notice I did not say Herger :P ) )

;) to E and a kiss on the cheek :)

I would like to post something, though, to clarify the original scenario that Herger proposed--I talked to Rho, Elengil and Telta about this on IM but want to let the other participants know about Fala's "entry" and whereabouts. :)

Herger wrote:I thought it might be a good idea to give everyone a sense of where everyone else is.

Herger has not yet reached the city, though is almost there.

Jiyadan is in the Inn, and Anorast is the only one I haven't talked to yet about this idea:
that being that those at the inn are the Mithril Knights who are in the story, having
traveled here after the battles currently taking place in that RP. - Rho, J, Bry, Telta, Fala,
and Anorast.

If everyone else can just brieftly say where they are at the opening, that'd be great.

I will be writing a traveling post (or two) to give some background on Fala (and why she is coming to Minas Tirith) before having her meet up with Telta (who she will primarily be interacting with in this thread--at least at the beginning). So Fala will not be showing up to the Inn right away.

So I guess she is currently on the road somewhere, probably not far from the city though.

It's fine with me if the MKs meet up in the Inn at some point but I'd rather not have to get Fala there right away, if that's OK. (Elengil? :) ) My understanding is that this thread is "post" MK training and we are assuming that the KiTs passed, at least for the purposes of this thread. That works for me, since the MK training has brought up stuff I want to work out with Fala.

I will be adding a short bio to my first post sometime soon, too. I hope perhaps this weekend.

Oh and Te-e-e-e-e-l-t-a! lets's hook up on IM one day soon, OK? First off--I miss you and our chats!! ((hug)) and Second--we need to do some plotting here. :D :D

Hope everyone else is doing peachy--I am, just buried with real life right now- especially work stuff! :P :D Sorry this is so long! :oops:
Falathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:48 pm

Hey,

well I'm back and have finally caught up with the couple of posts that had appeared while I was away.

Apart from the very few times (twice to be exact), I have come online, I have been completely cut from ME related things which was both good and bad.
Good because I needed a break, bad because the muse seems to be reluctant to go "go back to work" - pretty much like her writer with school :P :P. However she's playing with my nerves coming with ideas in the middle of the night. Those have been written but haven't come together to make a decent post. Jae, I promise I'll answer :D

And Guru, I think I told you before though I understand your expectations - for I am also eager to see some stuff happening - but this thread was never meant to be quick. And this year will be busy for me not like the one that just passed ;) ;). Be patient young padawan ;) :P :P :).

Off I go time to take some rest
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby earendil81 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:47 am

Hey there,

I usually don't answer my own posts but I wanted to thank both Rhoe and Guru for the chat of Friday.
It seems that wording a certain number of things with you guys have helped the muse come out. She is a bit rusty yet but at least she's back, which certainly does feel good.

Jae, I do hope this leaves you a hook if not, let me know via email (more likely to get to me since Yahoo MSN isn't on all the comps of the university). And as soon as I get internet at home I'll try to catch you on IM. I will send you an email about things that Jae only should know in the present context. Not now cause the time is getting short (must leave in 5') but probably tonight or tomorrow morning my time.

Talk to you guys later.
earendil81
In Love & Light

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)