The Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

What is your Myers-Briggs personality type?

INTJ
17%
INTP
31%
ENTP
6%
INFJ
10%
INFP
20%
ENFJ
2%
ENFP
1%
ISTJ
6%
Other SJ
6%

Total votes : 96

The Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:23 pm

I would hazard to guess that this has been discussed before, but I found nothing.

This is something very important to me, and when I discovered it maybe about six to nine months ago my life made a definite turn for the better. I had long struggled with a failure to identify with other people, notably because they didn’t make sense to me. When I read a friend’s biology assignment on this though, it was if a blindfold had been torn from my eyes. It explained almost of all my questions about how people worked, they actually made sense to me now, and I could thus relate to them better. I no longer thought I was the result of some genetic oddity that natural selection would remove from humanity, I no longer hated humanity in general, and I could now actually have a conversation. Even better, I understood why I had felt this way.

I decided to talk about it here, not only because it interests me, but also in case anyone else wanted some answers like I did.

What is the MBTI?

The Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator (MBTI) is a method of classifying people in one of 16 different personality categories. Personality types are not new, the ancient Greek Philosophers, including Aristotle, played with the idea. However, the modern father of this branch of psychology is probably Carl Jung. Jung rejected the idea of his mentor, Freud, that people’s personalities are the result of past experiences and theorized instead that we are born with certain characteristics that make us who we are. His ideas were developed by the Myers-Briggs mother-daughter team into the system we have today, and were further expanded by David Kiersey.

The preferences

The MBTI works like this: There are four distinguishing features to each person’s personality: the world they prefer to interact with (internal or external), the way they gather information (either through mind or senses), the way they make decisions (either with their head or heart) and their preferred state of being during decision making (being decisive or leaving options open). Every person has a preference for one or the other option for each category, which can be summarized as a single letter. The person’s overall code is then composed of their four letters.

Introversion (I) vs Extraversion (E)

Firstly comes the preference between interacting with the internal or the external world. Introverts gain energy from interacting with their internal world and thus need quiet time on a fairly regular basis to recharge while extraverts gain energy from the external world and thus need stimulation, often in the form of contact with other people, to keep happy. Extraverts are slightly more common than Introverts, making up 50 to 60 percent of the population.

Introverts can see Extraverts as being noisy, pushy, over-active, shallow, thoughtless, or rash while Extraverts can see Introverts as being antisocial, proud or boring.

Intuition (N) vs Sensing (S)

Secondly comes the person’s mode of information gathering. Intuitives like to work out how things will work using their minds, and are comfortable with less clearly defined boundreis and more abstract topics, while Sensors use their senses to gather information and are thus more down-to-earth and detail oriented. It is often said that Intuitives see the forest, sensors see the trees. Intuitives’ thought patterns involve making connections: they think of something, it reminds them of something else, and so on. Intuitives’ memories are best at drawing connections, Sensor’s are best at recalling details. The difference between Sensors and Intuitives is formidable; people with different N/S preferences often have trouble understanding each other. Sensors outnumber Intuitives considerably: making up between 65 and 85 percent of the population.

Intuitives often see Sensors as being shallow, unimaginative, too tied to details and uninteresting while Sensors will often see Intuitives as being impractical, incomprehensible, and with their heads in the clouds.

Thinking (T) vs Feeling (F)

The third preference is for decision making, either emotionally or rationally driven. Feelers base decisions on feelings, Thinkers on thought. Statistics suggest that 75% of men and 25% of women are thinkers, although this gender disparity is likely to be influenced by social norms.

Thinkers can often see feelers as being overly sensitive and emotional, irrational and foolish while Feelers can see Thinkers as being cold, impersonal, unsympathetic and unkind.

Judging (J) vs Perceiving (P)

The fourth preference is possibly the hardest to identify, and relates to people’s general outlook on life. Judgers seek closure while Perceivers seek to have options opened. This usually manifests itself in decision making: Judgers are happiest when the decision is made and are thus often more decisive and more likely to follow routine while Perceivers are happiest when the options are still open and are thus likely to be more prone to seek variety and put of decisions. Many Perceivers see this as a flaw and seek to correct themselves, often by seriously overcompensating on planning and routine-setting. However, Perceivers have a great asset in their flexibility. 60% of the population is made up of Judgers.

Judgers will often see Perceivers as being uncommitted, indecisive or lazy and Perceivers will often perceive Judgers as being inflexible, too quick to make decisions and pushy.

Put it together…

With all preferences identified, a four letter code can be formed, eg: ENFP.

Why this is the case

Every person has four Jungian functions, an intuitive one, a sensing one, a thinking one and a feeling one. Each of these functions can either be introverted (internally focused) or extraverted (externally focused). Different people find each of these functions easier or harder to use. Thus, they can be, for a person, put into order from most natural for that person to least natural. The ordering of the functions and the orientation determines a person’s preferences for the four categories, and thus their type. For example, the ordering of an INTJ’s functions are introverted intuition, extraverted thinking, introverted feeling and extraverted sensing.

Identifying types

There are 16 possible types, divided into four Kiersey Temperaments. The Kiersey Temperaments are groups of types that share many characteristics, and are commonly called the guardians (Sensing Judgers), experiencers (Sensing Percievers), idealists (Intuitive Feelers) and conceptualizers (Intuitive Thinkers).

Guardians

Guardians seek security, value stability and the following of social norms (they are easy to push around with peer group pressure), are past-oriented and possess logistical intelligence.

ESTJ: Supervisor, Guard, Pastor.
-Conscientious, dependable, realistic, practical, detail-oriented, confident, traditional.

ISTJ: Duty-filler, accountant, inspector.
-Methodical, meticulous, traditional, capable, logical, reasonable, organized.

ESFJ: Host(ess), Caretaker, Provider.
-Responsible, dependable, compassionate, warm, energetic, structured, helpful, tactical, thorough.

ISFJ: The Nurturer.
-Kind, harmonious, warm, generous, dependant, traditional.

Experiencers

Experiencers seek experiences, value fun, are present-oriented and possess tactical intelligence.

ESTP: Doer, Salesperson, promoter.
-Outgoing, excitable, straightforward, stylish, dramatic, practical, observant, fun-loving.

ISTP: The Mechanic, the explorer.
-Loyal, fair, optimistic, generous, trusting, receptive, curious, people of action.

ESFP: The performer, the entertainer.
-Sociable, observant, spontaneous, optimistic, popular, fun-loving, practical.

ISFP: The Artist, the composer.
-Creative, artistic, quiet, reserved, kind, gentle, sensitive, perceptive, serious, independent.

Idealists

Idealists seek identity, value empathy, are future oriented and possess diplomatic intelligence.

ENFJ: Giver, Negotiator, teacher.
-Charming, warm, gracious, creative, fussy, altruistic, future-oriented.

ENFP: Motivator, Counselor, crusader.
-Warm, enthusiastic, idealistic, intense, charming, ingenious, sensitive.

INFJ: The protector.
-Gentle, caring, complex, very intuitive, stubborn, idealistic.

INFP: The idealist.
-meticulous, idealistic, thoughtful, considerate, flexible.

Conceptualizers

Conceptualizers seek knowledge, value efficiency, naturally break time into intervals and possess strategic intelligence.

ENTJ: The executive, the Field Marshall.
-Decisive, forceful, assertive, innovative, a long-range planner.

ENTP: Lawyer, Visionary, inventor.
-Creative, enthusiastic, clever, curious, sociable, a good conversationalist.

INTJ: Scientist, Strategist, mastermind.
-Reserved, formal, intelligent, proud, imaginative, insightful.

INTP: Absent-minded professor, Thinker, architect.
-Logical, intelligent, dreamy, shy, independent, original.

Identifying Types

There are a number of ways to work out the type of another person (or yourself). One is to go through the categories and work out what they seem to show a preference for. Another is to first identify the temperament and fill in the blanks. A cool trick relates to feeling function orientation: People with extraverted feeling functions are more outwardly emotional than those with introverted feeling functions. Therefore, you can watch someone, and if they are the sort of person who is very physically expressive, a person who makes it fairly obvious what they’re feeling and a person who is more likely to hug or be affectionate towards others they are likely to have an extraverted feeling function. This means that their type must be either a FJ or a TP. If not, they have an introverted feeling function and are FP or a TJ.

So what does this mean?

Being able to identify yourself by a four letter code isn’t much use on its own, but knowing about this stuff can really explain a lot about the way people work for those who are interested and can provide other benefits, especially in making relating to other people easier.

Dealing with other types

Knowing someone’s type can make your life a lot easier if you want to deal with them, whether you are trying to work on something with them, seeking to get them to employ you, asking them on a date or simply trying to have a conversation with them. On a basic level, be able to identify the temperaments and know what motivates them. Remember, you may have trouble understanding why they desire and like the things they do, but the same goes for them with you. Also, remember that they are people and you do have things in common, and don’t take what they are motivated to seek too literally (I wouldn’t ask an NT on a date to a library or an SJ to a bank vault for example, even though those types do like knowledge and security respectively).

Another useful thing to do is to not put people in difficult positions. Give introverts a chance to think before you want them to make a decision and explain things clearly using examples to sensors for example. Knowing someone’s complete type and knowing a good deal about that type can prove very useful, and can make relating to that person fairly painless.

Careers

There is a good deal of material on which careers suit which types. Be sure to get a career that suits your type (typically, most people will, as they would find such a career good anyway). Find one that uses your abilities, feeds your motivations and doesn’t depend on you performing in an area you’re not good at.

Relationships

A particular type will get on better with some types than with others. In general, we get on best with people that share our primary function but with the opposite orientation. For example, if you’re primary function is Extraverted Feeling, you will get on best with people whose primary function is Introverted Feeling. For good working relationships seek those who have fairly similar types to yours, you can benefit from a different angle but in general you want someone who will understand why do you things the way you do.

When we start to look at intimate relationships, the whole issue gets a whole lot more complicated (even after months of reading, observation and deep thinking I still don’t fully understand it myself). Unfortunately, the types we are most attracted to are not always the types we get on best with. People are often attracted to very different types, as we see in them qualities that we do not have and would like to have, and thus binding ourselves to them will almost act as a substitute for not having them ourselves. Of course, this is purely subconscious, in general, you won’t hear friends saying ‘I met the hottest guy/girl, and his/her primary function my inferior one but the same orientation and there is obvious dichotomy in our second and third preferences!’ (well, you will among my friends, but anyway…). In the end, I theorize (and this is only a theory, and not a scientific one either) that you are most attracted to types that share your P/J preference but are opposite in every other category. Why this is, I don’t know. However, as I said before, these are not the types you get on best with (for starters, intuitives and sensors have obvious difficulties getting on). However, everyone can agree that an Introvert/Extravert match is usually a good idea. In the end though, two well balanced people of any type can have a relationship.

Parenting/Teaching

You will find that he four temperaments each have their own parenting/teaching style: Guardians seek to make their children/pupils fit into society, Experiencers try to instill a sense of fun into them, Idealists try to teach them understanding and empathy and Conceptualizers try to make them more independent (an NT parent or teacher feels successful when he/she is no longer needed).

Children

A child’s primary function is developed usually around 6, their secondary at 13, their tertiary around 30 and their inferior (which is sometimes never developed) usually shows itself around older age. Hence, it is usually possible to tell someone’s full type by 13. From 6-13, the primary function can be identified and thus the possible types are INJ, ISJ ETJ, EFJ, ITP, IFP, ENP and ESP. From 2-6, no functions can be identified and the types are IJ, IP, EJ and EP.

MBTI types of past and present Manwë posters

By poster

Alassante_Estel---XNFP
Alys---INTP
Anthriel---INFJ
Aravar---INTP
Ari-Anna ENFJ
Castanea_d.---INFJ
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons---INTP
Dave_LF---INTP
DeadRinger---INTP
Denethor---INTP
elendil0---INTP
Elflover---INFP
Eltirwen---INFJ
EntwifeLost---INTP
Ethel---INXJ
Falathiel---ENFJ
fascination_street---INFJ
galadralorean---INFP
HaplosDog----INXP
Harvestar---INFP
Hero's Song---INFP
Hobbit_Guy---INFP
ihadababyitsaboy---INTJ
ILvEowyn---INTP
Impenitent---INTJ
Incitatus---INFP
Jester_RM---INTP
JestersTears---ENTP
Jnyusa---INXJ
Kezmoid---INTJ
LadyCoralie---ENFP
LalaithUrwen---INTP
Leonides*---ESFJ
linn---INTJ
Lord_Morningstar...INTJ
MariaHobbit...INFP
Melthavron ...INTJ
misha...INTP
Nerdanel...INTP
NoetherianRingBearer...INTP
Osprey...INFP
peregin2k...INTP
prmiller...INFP
Quester...INFJ
RELStuart....ISTJ
Romuls....INTP
Rooty...ISTJ
RoseMorninStar...ENTP
shadowcat INFP
smIsle...INTP
sylthian...ENFP
Taurie...ISTJ
Terlis...ENTJ
The Watcher...INFP
TheEllipticalDisillusion...ENTP
TheLidlessEyes...ENTX
Tinwe_Linto...INFP
vison...INFJ
wilko185...INTP
Wolfgangbos...INTJ
yovargas...INTJ

By type

INTP/INXP

Alys
Aravar
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Dave_LF
DeadRinger
Denethor
elendil0
Elflover
EntwifeLost
HaplosDog
ILvEowyn
Jester_RM
LalaithUrwen
misha
Nerdanel
NoetherianRingBearer
peregin2k
Romuls
smIsle
wilko185

INTJ/INXJ

Ethel
ihadababyitsaboy
Impenitent
Jnyusa
linn
Lord_Morningstar
Melthavron
Wolfgangbos
yovargas

INFP/INXP/XNFP

Alassante_Estel
Elflover
galadralorean
HaplosDog
Harvestar
Hero's Song
Hobbit_Guy
Incitatus
MariaHobbit
Osprey
prmiller
shadowcat
The Watcher
Tinwe_Linto

INFJ/INXJ

Anthriel
Castanea_d
Eltirwen
Ethel
fascination_street
Jnyusa
Quester
vison

ENTP/ENTX

JestersTears
RoseMorninStar
TheEllipticalDisillusion
TheLidlessEyes

ENFP/XNFP

Alassante_Estel
LadyCoralie
sylthian

ENTJ/ENTX

Terlis
TheLidlessEyes

ENFJ

Ari-Anna
Falathiel

ISTJ

RELStuart
Rooty
Taurie

ESFJ

Leonides*

FAQ

What type are you?

INTJ

Are you a psychologist?

No

How do you know all this stuff then?

It interests me (a lot) and thus I read about it and practice it in real life.

Why haven’t you posted a link to the test?

I find the tests unreliable myself, for instance, if I was any more INTJ I would have the letters showing on my forehead, and yet several tests have returned me as ISFJ. Besides, it is better to understand how it works and learn to identify yourself and others based on signs and characteristics.

I have most of the characteristics of a certain type/temperament, but not all. Am I a new undiscovered type?

No, you are the type that most fits you.

Is there a link between this and astrology?

I doubt it myself, but if you are curious go here.

Where can I get more information?

I like http://www.personalitypage.com but http://www.typelogic.com is also good. There are a number of sites on this, and books, including David Kiersey’s Please Understand Me II, which I read and found interesting and useful.

This is so awesome; I will now be able to play people like flutes! Do often use this knowledge to take advantage of people?

No. Use your powers for good, not evil!
Last edited by Lord_Morningstar on Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby NoetherianRingBearer » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:39 pm

I've taken the Kiersey test on two different occassions before. I split right down the middle between INTP and INFP. I don't count it for all that much, but the results are interesting to be sure.
NoetherianRingBearer
Rider of the Mark

Postby TheEllipticalDisillusion » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:02 am

I took the Myers-Briggs test in my freshman year of college. I got ENTP. It says I'd be a lawyer, visionary, inventor. My dad always does say I'd make a good lawyer. I will be honest I have never taken any other tests to compare the results. My teacher asked us to take this for some reason (it was four years ago, I forgot exactly why).
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Mariner

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:02 am

NoetherianRingBearer wrote:I've taken the Kiersey test on two different occassions before. I split right down the middle between INTP and INFP.

One good reason to actually learn and understand the system rather than rely on tests :)
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby DeadRinger » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:36 am

Yeah, did this one a few years ago. I got INTP, though only just I and T, as I have a lot of E and F in me as well. I am, however, extremely N and P. :)
DeadRinger
Ranger of the North

Postby Aravar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:19 am

I am a lawyer, but the tests have me down as an INTP, which seems to fit. My work doesn't involve a lot of meeting the public, though, so the introversion part doesn't matter.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:09 am

I am curious though, does anyone else actually use MB often in their everyday lives?

Does anyone here think it is a pointless waste of time (this can't be Manwe without debate)?

I am very dependant on it myself, and have got fairly good at identifying other people.
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Denethor » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:38 am

After following one of the links you gave, I came across this description of the INTP personality type:

http://typelogic.com/intp.html

which fits me so well it's scary. I'm seemingly not "actively" self-confident enough to be an INTJ, and while ISTJ would fit me to a certain extent (I often like having "conventional" ways of solving problems), I am far too disorganised to fit into that category (besides, I like to think I'm a fairly imaginative person as well).
Last edited by Denethor on Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:48 am

which fits me so well it's scary

That is a fairly common reaction to people reading the description of their type (Mine was something along the lines of 'holy moly, they've been watching me!'). It did feel good to know that there were a few others out there like me, and it was even better to be able to take an objective look at myself.
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Elflover » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:37 am

I remember a thread in books about which Myers-Briggs personality types fit each of the characters, but I can't find it now.

I've had two occasions to take the test over the years and I am definately INFP. The first time I took it the "P" was very close to a "J". The second time, years later, I was more distinctly INFP. I don't think this is just a matter of inaccurate testing, I really am more INFP now. I know that even in adulthood there can be minor changes in personality, so I assume this may fluctuate again at some point.

I do believe in this test. It describes me perfectly, and other people I have met have said the same. I think this is a good compatability test for relationships as well. There are no "rights" and "wrongs", but it is an easy and accurate way of sizing someone up fairly quickly. You will know whether or not you really think the same way, solve problems the same way, view the world the same way, etc.

Of course, by the time people have already decided they are in love, and personality test is virtually useless. The people involved don't want an unbiased, objective opinion on whether they are truly compatable, they just want to hear that they were meant to be together. I think this test has a lot of potential for helping relationships (and preventing bad ones), but its unlikely many people would really be able to use it wisely.
Elflover
Ranger of the North

Postby ihadababyitsaboy » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:15 am

I don't know how accurate the test was, but it has me as an INTJ.
ihadababyitsaboy
Ranger of the North

Postby HaplosDog » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:05 am

Like NoetherianRingBearer, I believe myself to be a 50/50 mix of INTP and INFP. Unlike him/her, though, I have not taken the MB test; or rather I took it years ago, and I don't recall what it gave me, but I remember it was definitely NOT me.
HaplosDog
Shield Bearer

Postby Castanea_d. » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:07 am

INFJ. No doubt whatsoever.

Like Lord Morningstar, I find the personality types extremely helpful in communicating with people and relating with them. Also it helps me understand that strange though I may be, :) there are reasons why I react to situations as I do and think as I do, and the same applies to everyone I meet. My boss and I, for example, are very different, and I don't think either of us could stand the other for a week without the perspective of the personality types (he is an ESFP).

The worthies over in Axordil's Hash House and Diner discussed Myers-Briggs for a while back in March. Here is an observation from Mechtild on March 2. She had been looking at the thread which applied Myers-Briggs types to the LOTR characters:

this site may be full of N's and almost no S's. Very out of skew compared to the general population, no? It also has almost no extroverts, also out of skew with the general population. It would be so interesting if there could be a really wide survey done, to see if Tolkien fans are mostly INT- or INF- Something. Or, if purists tend to be NT and revisionists, NF. Or, if introverts and intuitives more than others tend to hang around on messageboards in general. Or, if more NT and NF posters are interested in personality types (since that was in the title of the thread). Hmmmm?

Interesting!
Castanea_d.
Rider of the Mark

Postby TheEllipticalDisillusion » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:30 am

Wow, a lot of I's so far. I've used the N & S category in my life at times to understand certain people. I dated a girl who had to be an S because she had a flair for detail and I can never remember details. She remembered the exact date of various things in our short relationship, while I remembered what we did, but could never remember, too easily, when. Not that we ever took the test and I didn't reference the test when I was dating her, it all just came to me now that I look back on it.
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Mariner

Postby vison » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:59 pm

I wanna take this test. Is it online? I've tried to find it, but there is something peculiar going on with the net in my neck of the woods.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:23 pm

Castanea,
I have known coming in that this site would be full of introverted intuitives, with almost no sensors. Simply, we are on the internet, on a site dedicated to an author of fantasy, discussing in-depth issues that often have a limited effect on our everyday lives, without any hope of actually changing anything. A sensor would probably see little point to that. Also, messageboards are naturally attractive to introverts as they have time to respond and aren’t overwhelmed by other people (I can debate with 20 others without having to talk over them, or even associate with them at all outside the posts).

I wouldn’t take TORC as a natural sample of Tolkien fandom for that reason. Also, in my experience, there are both NT and NF purists and revisionists.

vison wrote: I wanna take this test. Is it online? I've tried to find it, but there is something peculiar going on with the net in my neck of the woods.

Don’t bother, as I said, tests can be unreliable and they won’t teach you how to use the indicator. Instead, understand what all the letters mean (read my post and the sites I linked to) and learn to apply the knowledge.

By the way, NRB, I am fairly certain that you are INTP, your posts suggest the usual INTP desire to explore ideas and push them as far as they can go, as well as a great aptitude and considering abstract concepts, another INTP trait.
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby TheEllipticalDisillusion » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:50 pm

I'm an E. I seem to be the minority of the people responding to this thread.
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Mariner

Postby Hobbit_Guy » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:19 pm

<de-lurk>I happen to be an INFP, :D and first discovered this system of categorizing personalities when I stumbled across the thread attributing certain types to various LotR characters. I've been wondering – Do you think that the majority of people who RPG on TORC belong to a certain category of types, or that it's all diverse with no clear majority? :?: </de-lurk>
Hobbit_Guy
Shield Bearer

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:30 pm

Do you think that the majority of people who RPG on TORC belong to a certain category of types, or that it's all diverse with no clear majority?

Well, obviously we can expect mostly (if not entirely) introverted intuitives, and, if I may make a guess, feelers. I would imagine a possible lead in the number of INFPs. I know INFJs also like and have a skill for story writing (JRRT was an INFJ, or at least I gather so from his letters and biographies) so we would be likely tosee some of them too, and some NTs as well, even though the average INTP might find the activity not mentally flexing enough and the avergae INTJ not rational enough.
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Riot » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:54 pm

Test
Full Description

Now the Meyers-Briggs test is a great way to profile someone in certain ways. It reveals motivations as well as gives a comprehensive portrait about how different types of people may interact.

Other than that, it is useless. ^_^

It measures the areas a person may favor, but cannot plausibly define individual limits. Example: There is no set group that resorts to murder more often than another. It defines more, how other people may see you. Then there is the strength of a trait. Many people are borderline. That can be another difficulty.

It is, though, quite useful for a cold-reader to be able to profile people in their heads. It's not impossible, one should learn how to do it. :D

Ex: Someone w/ a TJ combination tend to be absolutely certain that they're right, sometimes w/o sufficient facts. If someone strikes you as the overconfidently logical type- they're probably a TJ.

A TP is far more diffident, but painfully logical.

A strong ES can be outspoken, down-to-earth, and probably lacks an imagination. Not because the individual fails to have a capacity for it, but because it is impractical. They fail to see a need for it.

Riot[/url]
Riot
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:25 pm

Riot,

I provided a link to typelogic in my FAQ, and besides, I personally like personalitypage more as it provides detailed descriptions on not only the types but also careers, relationships and personal growth. I also gave my reasons why I did not want to post a link to the test.

Now the Meyers-Briggs test is a great way to profile someone in certain ways. It reveals motivations as well as gives a comprehensive portrait about how different types of people may interact.

Other than that, it is useless. ^_^

And what about personal growth? I have benefited greatly as an individual from knowledge of the MBTI, I have learned to identify and overcome my weaknesses.
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Osprey » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:37 pm

Took the test about two years ago - INFP. Interestingly enough, I've only ever met one other INFP, but they seem to abound here. :shock:
Osprey
Shield Bearer

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:40 pm

Osprey wrote:Took the test about two years ago - INFP. Interestingly enough, I've only ever met one other INFP, but they seem to abound here. :shock:

It shouldn't be that suprising, see my post upthread.

What, do you people expect to run into ESTPs and ESFPs in this place or something?
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Falathiel » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:08 pm

I love this thing!! Thank you for posting this and starting this discussion. :D

This test was very helpful to me in understanding, not only myself, but others. It was also very freeing to discover that I always felt rather different from other people because I am different--but not in a bad way. :P :D

I am an ENFJ—idealist/teacher. My group comprises only about 2-8% of the population. The description fits me to a tee. I am so idealistic and optimistic I sometimes get on my own nerves. :roll: And I love seeing people develop their potential and become free to be their true creative incredible selves more than anything I can think of. :D

I think I might be borderline introvert though—only because, as much as I love people, I need big chunks of time to be totally alone with my own thoughts and God and nature or I get a llittle stressed out and want to go hide in a cave somewhere. I guess it's just the Elf in me. :P :D

Actually going to the ocean and peering out toward Valinor seems to work better than that cave. ;) :D
Falathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Tinwe_Linto » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:20 pm

Of the four traits the only one I can nail down is the first - I most definitely fit the description for introversion. Beyond that I find myself identifying with both aspects of each of the other traits, which I suppose would make me a Perceiver in the last trait (wanting to leave my options open). Oddly enough, in each one the tests (I tried several) I came up as a Judger.

It may help to know that I work in the field of Architecture, which I find suits me quite well. Since I do not have my own firm, but work for another Architect, the extrovert trait is not much of an issue, although I did find this statement in the description of an INFP type: "INFPs can even masquerade in their ESTJ business suit, but not without expending considerable energy." - something I find true for myself - when I have to get out in front of people I can do it quite well, I just don't like to do it.

Being an Architect, though, requires the ability to have all of the other traits. Intuition is necessary for the creative process - that first creative "leap" is always entirely intuitive, but without the sensing ability to focus on details creativity is useless to an Architect. I'm constantly shifting focus between the forest and the trees, which I find quite stimulating, actually.

Both thinking and feeling are also equally important to an Architect. Architecture is an art, but it is unique among the plastic arts in that it is inextricably tied to its utilitarian function. So, Architects have to be able to make decisions that are driven by both emotion and rationality. The building has to "feel" right, but it also has to work.

The perceiving and judging traits are, as you indicate, difficult to resolve. As an Architect, I have to make decisions that are final and it's important that I am comfortable with these decisions because I'll have to live with these buildings for a long time. As such I do tend to rely on routines and methods that have been tried and tested. But again, Architecture is a creative process and as such demands experimentation. While each individual building has to be a final statement in and of itself, the body of an Architects career needs to be open ended in order to flourish.

On the other hand, I may just be schizophrenic.
Tinwe_Linto
Ranger of the North

Postby vison » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:21 pm

Evidently I'm an INFJ, or, an ISFJ, which kinda makes me laugh. I did it twice, more slowly and carefully the second time.

But the test is like all tests that make you choose between only two things, you choose the least objectionable most of the time.

Still, it was fun.

And, yeah, I'm a protector, I'm a mum and a grandma, I have to be.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:43 pm

Tinwe_Linto,
The Architect is often stereotyped as being INTP. Read some INTP descriptions (like this one) and see.

Vison,
I have often suspected that you are an INFJ. Why not read a description and check to see if it fits?
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Leonides* » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:53 pm

Apparently I'm an ESFJ (A Guardian Provider) but I don't think I agree with it. Then again, who am I to judge? ;)
Leonides*
Mariner

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:56 pm

Leonides* wrote:Apparently I'm an ESFJ (A Guardian Provider) but I don't think I agree with it. Then again, who am I to judge? ;)

I strongly doubt you are ESFJ.

Did you use a test? :roll:
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Leonides* » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:00 pm

Yep. The one Riot linked to.
Leonides*
Mariner

Next

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë