The Dark Wind Rises (ooc)

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

The Dark Wind Rises (ooc)

Postby Eldfess » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:14 pm

I thought it was time to start a new quest, as there are many out there that have reached daunting lengths. In this one I'm going to try something a little different.

The quest is to restore an arcane artifact from the ruins of Mordor, at the very roots of the dark tower. However, what the characters don't know is that there are dark forces haunting their steps from day one to stop the quest.

If you are interested give your character's bio in here for review. I will post my character's bio shortly.

The only request that I'll make is that the characters you give have a dark past that they have to fight against. I have no problems with side quests happening as we go along...nor do I have a problem with a splitting of the party.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby *Hryveriel* » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:18 pm

Hello. I don't have a bio right off bat, but I've got one turning around in my head. So save room for a Gondorian Nurse. Don't worry, she'll be dynamic enough.
thanks,
Hryveriel (Hry) :lol:
Last edited by *Hryveriel* on Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Hryveriel*
Shield Bearer

Postby Eldfess » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:40 pm

this will be set during the time of adjustment at the beginning of the 4th age...so few elves. And for the nurse...well you have to figure why your character would want to go on such a quest. Plus...your character has to be well versed in self defense. I would prefer a character who is well experienced in questing. If your character would fit this than by all means.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby atalantea » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:07 pm

Hello, I'd like to join. :D Is it okay if I am a woman ranger trying to run away from something? May I join? Puhleeeeeez? I read and joined lotsa stuff that are similar to this plot, no offense but what does this have that the others don't? I'm waiting for the X-factor... or perhaps our styles would make it different... oh well! Hoping I'd be admited!!!!:D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby atalantea » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:13 pm

Hello, I'd like to join. :D Is it okay if I am a woman ranger trying to run away from something? May I join? Puhleeeeeez? I read and joined lotsa stuff that are similar to this plot, no offense but what does this have that the others don't? I'm waiting for the X-factor... or perhaps our styles would make it different... oh well! Hoping I'd be admited!!!!:D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby *Hryveriel* » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:20 pm

Just trust me. :wink:
Hry
*Hryveriel*
Shield Bearer

Postby atalantea » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:22 pm

Okidoki... sorry for the double post, there's a debug mode thingie appearing when I post...
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby Eldfess » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:54 am

don't worry about the dp, that debug thing happens occasionally. what I like to do is to copy whatever i write before i hit submit. then if the debug thing happens i can check whether or not it actually got sent. if it didn't i still have it.

As to you Atalantea, you are welcome...the sound of your character fits with what I'm looking for. As to the plot twist...i'm keeping that to myself. ;) :roll: Just go ahead and post your character's profile.

Hry...post your profile and we can check it out.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:26 pm

Eldfess, I've always wanted an opportunity to RP with you. This sounds like an interesting adventure. The time frame sounds perfect for a character I've created recently who fits your description (dark past that they have to fight against) perfectly. I'd love to flesh her out a little more here. The bio is saved on my comp at home so I'll post it later tonight. :) Do you have any details on the storyline and your character?
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Eldfess » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:19 pm

You are more than welcome Undomiel. I've kept the storyline simple on purpose. I've found that the more complicated story ideas are initially the hardest to get off the ground well. Sometimes, when you complicate things you get into the problem of 'why is my character really here?' 'why would they really want to go on this quest?' This can be a more difficult question at times than some people realize. Now...trust me...I've given pretty much all the info on the quest that the characters will know for a long time. Remember...Frodo only knew that he had to get the ring to Mount Doom.

Now...as to the place to get started...I'm thinking we should start right around or even at the prancing pony. So, if anyone wants to throw in a hobbit character they are most welcome.

Now for my character bio:

Carnesir
Race: human of Numenorean descent
Appearance: Tall man, well built, tanned from many years in the outdoors. Long red hair held in two braids, one on either side of his head. The right side of his face is painted with woad designs. He has big green eyes. His back is scarred from whipmarks.
His normal attire is only that of a knee length loose kilt of reds and oranges and worn boots. He wears steel bracers on each wrist. His ears are pierced and he wears an earcuff in his left ear.
Weapons: He wields a large hand and a half sword in one hand and a battle axe in the other.
Personality: He alternates from being boisterous to being eerily quiet. But in battle he is a barbarian that will not stop till all are dead.
History: He was once a Ranger, but an accident that was blamed on him which caused a party to die caused him to be expelled and ostracized. In a rage he left. He was captured by slavers and sold to pirates. He worked up through the ranks and became the favored right hand man of one of the deadliest pirates on the seas. Later he began dabbling in powers with mystics of different lands. All the while he has been daunted by his expulsion from his people. His one vow is to return and reclaim his rightful place. When he heard of an artifact within the ruins of Mordor, where few still dared to go, he knew his day had come.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:34 pm

Simple storylines are the best, as they give everyone room to play with them. ;) Meeting up and the Prancing Pony sounds good. I like your character, very celtic. :D

I'm assuming when you said that "However, what the characters don't know is that there are dark forces haunting their steps from day one to stop the quest" you mean other than the usual Orcs and evil creatures that would naturally be in and around Mordor. Also, what do we know about the artifact? or is it just going to be rumors of a powerful artifact that lure us there? Just putting thoughts together. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:09 pm

Is tempted.
Is very, very tempted.
Has no time.
Has no character.
Muse is dead.

Argh, I'm a waste of bandwith.

Eldfess, this sounds like another great thread. I agree with you, it's very important to be clear on why our characters are doing what they are doing and going where they are going.

If I get an idea for a character, I may not be able to resist applying. In the meantime, good luck.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Shadowfax » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:38 pm

Very interesting RP :)

Mind if I join? It's been many a moon since we last RP'd together Eldfess. :wink: I'm not currently involved in any RP and I'm beginning to feel lost! :shock:

I've RP'd with a dwarf in the past, goes by the name of Mealin, and would like to ressurect his old bones once again. I'll post a bio on him if all is well?

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:41 pm

DP........brilliant!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Eldfess » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:16 pm

Frelga...I'll hold a place open for you if you feel up to it. Shadowfax...welcome. It has been a while. And don't worry about that dp, it seems to be happening a lot. Let me guess...a problem with a bug or something. happens so often to me.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:48 pm

Here goes.............

Mealin Gummage
Race: Dwarf
Appearance: Mealin is of average height for a dwarf, around 5 feet or so. A long white beard hangs from his weathered face and two piercing eyes of blue look out over a large red nose. Mealin is clad in leather leggings that tuck into a pair of sturdy black boots. A leather jacket covers a coat of chain mail that protects his upper body, the chain mail is light in weight and does weigh him down and he seldom takes it off. He often seems beat down by his long life, complaining of back aches and such, but he his hale and strong. Woe is the foe that marks him as an easy target!

Weapons: Mealin’s main weapon is a great two headed axe that has been in his family for many generations. The axe is decorated with many dwarven runes, it also has many nicks and scratches from heavy use in battle.

Personality: Mealin’s a grouch plain and simple. He has little care for the feelings of others and holds nothing back in a arguement. Speak first and think later best describes him! Quick to anger and even quicker to forget as long as a tankard of ale his set before him, Mealin likes his drink!

Background: Mealin was born and raised within the confines of the Iron Hills, a place in which he is no longer welcome! Banished from his homeland he has wandered far and wide, making friends and enemies along the way. Enemies out numbered the friends for some reason?

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:10 am

Hey Eldfess! I've got characters with dark pasts to fight against coming out my ears. What would you like? Or, more precisely, what kind of werewolf would you like? :razz: Nah, doesn't have to be lycanthropic... ;)

*Awaits inspiration and/or direction from Eldfess*

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:10 am

I really wish they'd fix this... :x
Last edited by Aiwe on Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:11 am

TP :bang:
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Eldfess » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:47 am

hmmm...Aiwe...tell me what you think of this...someone who was a thief or killer that was cursed to be a werewolf until he made ammends?

has anyone been keeping up with the election?

Welcome Shadowfax...love your character.
Last edited by Eldfess on Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:41 am

I have! Muahahahahaha! :D

Shadowfax. :shock: It will be an honor to Rp with you. Your character sounds great. :)

I forgot to post my character bio again. :oops: I promise I'll do it tonight when I get home from work. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Shadowfax » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:03 pm

I look forward to rp'g with you also undomiel :) Nice to still see some olbies hanging in there.

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Errand » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:44 pm

Hmm. I've decided to start fresh. Need any antagonists? I got this particular image in my mind of a black cloak with red rose petal designs. Yeah, it's all shaping up... a rival quester hoping to tap into the artifact.
Errand
Shield Bearer

Postby Eldfess » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:19 pm

that sounds interesting Errand...however, I'm taking care of the antagonists part for the most part. On the other hand...you could be joining the quest with the intentions of keeping the artifact for yourself.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:21 pm

OK, Eldfess! One thieving werewolf with extra angst coming right up...:wink:

Name: Luda Serebrya

Great idea, Eldfess.

Race: Gondorian/werewolf

Allegiance: the highest bidder

Appearance: mousey brown hair cut very short, yellow eyes, unremarkable face. Her figure is lean and flat-chested without much curviture. She passes for an effeminate young man when wearing trousers, and for a undesireably plain young woman when wearing skirts and a wig. She has remarkably sharp teeth and her eyes flash green-gold in the dark.

Clothes: whatever is comfortable and applicable. Street wear: trousers, men's-style shirt, hat, and overcoat. When meeting potential clients at public functions: a cheap but respectable green gown and some perfunctory jewelry and makeup (plus a brown wig). On the job: leggings, gloves, scarf, and blouse of very dark green raw silk, with lots of pockets.

History: Luda first started masquerading as a male at the age of ten, in order to get herself apprenticed and get away from the brothel where her mother worked. She landed a job with an elderly locksmith whose eyes weren't so good anymore. Having grown up with a rather questionable set of morals, she soon used her new skills to start picking the very locks she'd learned to craft, earning herself a bit of extra pocket money. At sixteen she left the old locksmith and went into full time thieving, finding it far more interesting than polishing keys and greasing mechanisms. In the beginning she was living hand to mouth, but soon she earned herself quite a reputation--both with the local shady individuals, and with the Gondorian city guard. She was paid increasingly generous sums for increasingly challenging work. She never failed, because she picked the jobs she knew she could handle. That changed, however, when someone decided things would be much better if Luda Serebrya were removed from the picture--permenantly. Unknowingly, she took the job they offered her: go to the East, and steal a rare black gem from the family who'd looted it from the ashes of Mordor. Luda found it, but unfortunately she also found the guard dogs. All four of the ravening curs wore silver-studded collars. She'd been bitten repeatedly by them, and her cuts were soiled by the blood of the one she killed. Untill the full moon hit, her only worry was of rabies, since she did not suspect the true nature of the guard dogs: they were werewolves captured after the fall of the Eye. The silvered collars were what kept them stuck in wolf-form. Long story short story, she's got a lycanthropy problem and a serious grudge against her former employers.

How she fits in: lacking opposable thumbs abnd having an insatiable blood-lust one week out of every four is really bothersome for a woman who picks locks and disarms traps and relies on her unobtrusiveness for a living. She's been quietly searching for the cure for several years now. Despite her best efforts, she a) has had no luck whatsoever, and b) has recently been contacted by someone who seems to know all about her and her little "problem." He offered her a lycanthropy cure in exchange for her cooperation on a dangerous mission. The typical "and if I refuse?" was answered with "Then I think you'll find your regular employers rather reluctant to hire a creature of darkness, no matter how nimble her paws are."

Needless to say, she's going on the mission. But she's not happy about it.

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:33 pm

Oh, I have no self-control. I can't resist the temptation to RP with such illustrious writers. Shadowfax, you're practically legendary, you know that?

I also have no character.

Eldfess, I don't suppose you would consider Geli? She is the opposite of what you asked for, but she might fit in a strange way. She is a 17-year-old street performer: acrobat, tightrope walker, juggler, singer, and a general-purpose daredevil. No warrior, but she can climb up, over or into anything, pick your pocket while you are wathcing both her hands, and she's quite handy with knife and staff. She's too young to have a really dark past, but she did a hard life and I can assure you that struggling with adolescent hormones is challenge enough for anyone. As to why she would be going - she has no concept of fear and would consider a trip to Mordor a fine promenade. If you need better motivation, she's an orphan but she was led to believe that her father is not dead but taken as a slave by Orcs, so she wants to search for him.

If Geli doesn't work, maybe I could come up with an Easterling. I had wanted to do one for a while. What would an Easterling be doing in Bree, though? Alright, I'll keep thinking.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Eldfess » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:42 am

nice one Aiwe...you are most welcome.

Frelga...that sounds good. I have one suggestion that I ask you only think about if you haven't rped Geli before. She's too young to have a dark past but what about a dark future? what I mean is...if you haven't already worked out her personality you could make her completely amoral...practically sadistic. She wouldn't kill for pleasure but she hasn't had anyone tell her that it was wrong...somthing like that. Just a thought.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Postby Fëaros » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:52 am

Any room for a Blue wizard? if not then I can produce a ranger...
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:08 am

A promising RP! How fascinating... :wink: Really, I've been looking for one now that most of those I'm in are either in Hibernation, or Disappeared somewhere else. Especially with my exams coming to an end, I want my muse up and running, so... :P And well, it sounds fun and appeals to the side of me that wants to try out a young assassin with a dark and confused past, so why not?
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby Eldfess » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:21 am

tobias...that sounds great...right along the lines of what I was looking for...

Fëaros...define the powers of a blue wizard...if you mean the Istari that were supposedly far to the east or something like that i don't think that would really fit as well. But I wouldn't mind a mystic at all. Just no Istari.

Also, in your bio if you haven't, could you add the reason why your character would quest? It helps with understanding character motivation.
Eldfess
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)