OOC: Going Home...

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

OOC: Going Home...

Postby Arvandor » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:36 pm

Alright this is my first time actually creating a thread but hey, first time for everything. So here's my idea...
After the War of the Ring Rohan, as well as many other countries, are prospering during their peace time. The Rohirrim have set their eyes on their ancestors, the Eotheod's, ancient homeland in the mountains of the Ered-Mithrin (The Grey Mountains). King Eomer has heard his peoples thoughts and decides to hire a party to go and claim their heritage, to take the ancient relics, treasures, and items from their historical homeland. Along the way we will of course meet up with enemies, and find that the Eotheod's homeland has been inhabited...
This quest is open to anyone. The Grey Mountains are perfectly situated near Mirkwood and Erebor, so elves and dwarves are welcome. And the quest originates in Rohan so Rohirrim, and Gondorians are welcome, as well as anyone else who may be visiting or just get word of the quest. I would like to have some diversity in our party. The only race that is NEEDED would be at least 1 Rohirrim. Other than that it's up to you.
It'll be fun, join up!
Last edited by Arvandor on Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby Arvandor » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:49 pm

Here's my bio, hopefully I'll see more soon!

Name: Arvandor
Race: Elf
Marital status: Single
Appearance: Muscular, though still holding a lean elven physique. Long raven hair.
Personality: Kind, polite, noble.
Skills: Fighting, Archery, Hunting, Sailing, and Poison use.
Bio: A Noldo from long ago, his first home was Valinor. He journeyed into exile under Finrod Felagund and stayed with him until he founded Nargothrond. He was trapped for a while in Doriath where he fought on the Marches. After the War of Wrath he dwelt for a time on Tol-Eressea, the seas call could not hold him so he joined the Last Alliance under Gil-Galad. During the War of the Ring he fought mostly under Elrond, though at times would stray off to other lands, the adventurer in him always calls... He has done many quests in these times and has seen many battles, thankfully hes had friends along the way. Now he dwells in the Ithilien colony of elves. When Eomer started this quest Eowyn, knowing of him, suggested him to Eomer, and well that's how he's involved...
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby corintur » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:06 am

Hey Arvandor, I might be interested though I think I would need a new charachter...

I'll be back...
corintur
Shield Bearer

Postby Fëaros » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:55 am

I would be interested in joining, although I too would have to dream up a new character I think... What kind of characters are you after Arvandor?
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby Fëaros » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:58 am

I would be interested in joining, although I too would have to dream up a new character I think... What kind of characters are you after Arvandor?

Would you be looking at ex-soldiers or just a plain man from Rohan? I assume there aren't many soldiers around in peacetime but I don't know, whatever you think
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby Arvandor » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:30 pm

Well there are always some amount of soldiers, who knows what could happen right?
But hey, as for a Rohirrim, probably an ex-soldier who can be trusted, like who retired or just decided to leave the military. Or a remaining soldier, or even someone like a noble or something. Really all I see is a fairly prominent figure who could be looked to and trusted.
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby Fëaros » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:58 pm

Okay, I may need a couple of days but I'll put something together! :wink:
BTW: I've posted in The Battles on the Marches if you haven't already noticed :horse:

* Fearos *
Fëaros
Shield Bearer

Postby Arvandor » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:10 pm

Great, yeah I noticed but I need to get Valdain to post one first.
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby Valdain » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:07 pm

well, i guess ill help out to
Valdain
Petitioner to the Council

Postby salean » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:18 am

I think this is a very good idea. Could I join in please?
I'll post my characters bio soon. I'll probably need a new character for it but I'll have a look through my existing one's first.
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby Arvandor » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:04 pm

Absolutely. As soon as I see a few more bios in here I'll start the IC.
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby atalantea » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:14 am

Hello... I'm interested... sound interesting... may I join? I'll look for a new character or... have you guys met my Kundiman? (If I'll be allowed to join) Will check again... :D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arvandor » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:29 am

Great, of course your allowed to join, I don't believe I've met Kundiman, yet...
:)
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby Mithnen » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:34 am

Ooo, a nice adventure story :D I'd be interested in joining. I'll have to make up a new character because the disk that I kept all my bios on got...weird, so, yeah :) Once I come up with something I'll be back for inspection!

Ciao,
_Mithy
Mithnen
Ranger of the North

Postby Arvandor » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:37 am

Awesome, sucks that you lost your bios though. And just to say again, once I see a few more bios in here I'll start an IC.
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby Arvandor » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:46 pm

Whenever your ready.
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Can I join too?

Postby The_Eavenstar » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:22 pm

Hi can I join too? I have a character already set up...

Araiel Aylafel
Race: Elf
Height: 5'9
Weight: 125 lbs
Appearance: Young, long dark hair (straight) riddled with red streaks, violet eyes speckled with silver, fair skin, somewhat strong but more agile and quickfooted than anything.
Personality: Somewhat reserved and quiet but once meeting her, she can be very outgoing and mischevious at times.
Skills: Archery, fencing, healing, climbing trees, riding, and swimming
Biography: Araiel was born in Lorien before the War of the Ring. Her father chose to fight and was slain in battle. The loss was too grevious for her mother Tiniel. Tiniel left for the sea leaving her daughter behind in the company of Galadriel during War of the Ring. Though Araiel was saddened at her mother's departure, she did not follow for many years instead choosing to stay with her heart bound to Middle Earth. She came to the court of Aragorn and with much training and long years became his trusted servant and soon made one of the Dunedain. She is still within the king's service and has been sent to Rohan to speak with Eomer. But when she hears of his decision to send a group to the Eotheod's homeland, she decides to follow along. She is also one of the Teleri.
[/color]
The_Eavenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arvandor » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:54 pm

Yeah that's fine, and once you guys post a couple more bios I'll start a IC...
^ HINT ^
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby atalantea » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:05 pm

My bio....

Name: Kundiman
Race: Human
Physical Attributes:
Eyes: Green, shire green, super green, green... never mind. Green with silver linings. :F
Hair: Dark brown that seems to be black sometimes. Long and curly that reaches her butt.
Skin: pale and porcelain like.
Body: Slim and slender. Good fighting skills.
Voice: Deep and sultry
Personality
Here comes the fun part. This beautifull baby is vain. Really vain. Like when everybody worries about the food she worries about her clothes. She is a thief and she uses her good looks to seduce and, um, distract her victims. She always gets her way and well, loves herself above all else. :D She is not a slut. She doesn't touch or want to be touched, she's just really smart and clever.... And vain. :D
Fighting ability:
Weapons: She has two twin swords named Tala and Luha that connect to form a spear like thingie. Lotsa daggers here and there. She carries a whip and is really gifted in healing. She carries lotsa herbs and places them in the Valars know where since she dresses so... um, let's just say it is as if there was a cloth shortage in the place. :D
Horse: A black one named Kidlat. :D

Well, hope that is fine. She might even pick up a boyfriend. :D See you again. :D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arvandor » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:11 pm

:D
That should add a fun twist.
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby atalantea » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:20 am

Thank goodness! Oh well, see you soon, will update when I can. :D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arvandor » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:28 pm

Don't wanna be pushy, but I am... Just wanna get started, and need a few more bios, I'd start now but I don't want to start our ride and then find that a character will be starting in Gondor...
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby atalantea » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:32 am

Um, perhaps we could enrich our plot. Who are these enemies and why do they try to hinder us? Eomer also strikes me as a wise king, so his people's greed(?) or talk wont push him to do something rash, right? So, perhaps we should look for a more pressing need that willmake us go rescue the relics.... justb a suggestion. :D Don't be mad. :D
atalantea
Rider of the Mark

Postby The_Eavenstar » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:11 am

atalantea wrote:Um, perhaps we could enrich our plot. Who are these enemies and why do they try to hinder us? Eomer also strikes me as a wise king, so his people's greed(?) or talk wont push him to do something rash, right? So, perhaps we should look for a more pressing need that willmake us go rescue the relics.... justb a suggestion. :D Don't be mad. :D

Hey idea: perhaps we are ambushed by Easterlings. Perhaps theyve broken the peace between Gondor and are now after Gondor's allies and seek to destroy them. Im pretty good at coming up with plots not meaning to brag but anytime u need one please ask...I'm a novelist and I love to write
The_Eavenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arvandor » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:57 pm

I do kinda like the easterling idea. And Atalantea, I pictured the enemies as orcs or thieves, or both which is very possible. And Eomer wants to do this not only because his people do, but because it is his heritage. His ancestors lived here and now he is reclaiming what is rightfully his for the good of Rohan, and the knowledge that will be uncovered. Surley the Eotheod left many things when they abruptly rode to war, and then moved to Calenardhon shortly after. Also as for the Orcs who have inhabited the area, they will want to keep their treasures so in our quest we will have to deal with them. Does that help any?
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby Kaewen_Drift » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:14 pm

Afternoon... I have a couple of bios I want to add to this RP, if you're ok with it - one male and one female, both unattached but with a major twist inbetween... This twist is my baby :D

Am I ok to join you?
Kaewen_Drift

Postby Arvandor » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:41 pm

Sounds good, I'm very open to suggestions and alterations to the story, I just set the guidelines it'll take everyone else to make it. So if anyone has anything to add just run it by me.
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Postby Kaewen_Drift » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:42 pm

Sounds good - I'll run these bios past you now, but feel I ought to mention something first...

I have a character named Kaewen in the Prancing Pony thread at present, but this Keowen is entire different, excepting point of origin. I tend to do that - I like twisting characters, hehe. :)

Actually, I do have a question - for it to count as a factors of my characters' 'situations', can it be said that a small portion of the guard was sent out to clear the surrounding country of orcs? That would fit very well...

Anyway, here they are:

Name: Kéowen

Marital Status: Single

Race: Rohirrim (mixed genealogy - may have had elven ancestors thousand of years ago, as the story runs that in every two generations of females in Kéowen's line, some element of Elven characteristics emerge. The Eldar gene, it seems, dies hard.)

Physical appearance:

Kéowen is of average height for a woman of Rohan, standing at 5'8" tall and, rather than waif-thin (as she puts it) is curvy and hourglass-shaped in figure. Her muscles (particularly her arms) are well-toned through constant rigorous exercise, and her hands are calloused through constant arms work.

Her skin tone is fair as a consequence of her race, her skin not being averse to collecting freckles across her shoulders, elbows and the bridge of her nose. Though it now takes strenuous excercise to make her skin flush red these days, embarassment has had the same affect on her since she was little. To be frank, tomatoes don't have a patch on her (luckily for Kéowen, she rarely has something to be embarassed for).

Her hair is atypical of the Rohirrim, being honeyed blonde in colour, straight and long - but never particularly well-tamed, often being kept in a plait for comfort's sake. Her eyes, rather than blue, are slate-grey in colour and often stand out due to her skin tone, tending to make her look imposing or stern.

The main point to make about her face shape and bone structure is that it is decidedly Elven in nature, with high-set and defined cheekbones, inclined eyebrows and a long, softly rounded nose - this, it seems, was the throwback gifted her by her ancestry (though the tale quickly became myth and doubts lay on the validity of the story, the physical evidence is difficult to deny).

She dresses like the rest of her unit, wearing greens, browns and blacks as camouflage against the elements she travels in, the horse of Rohan stitched onto the inside layer of her brown cloak, next to her heart, to remind her and the others of home when they stray.

Skills: Kéowen is an accomplished huntress, being a swordsmistress primarily but also possessing some Bow skills as an addition. Though graceful only when she fights, agility was part of her calling - she had been climbing trees, after all, ever since she was tall enough to compete with the boys. Politeness in the presence of those undeserving of the title had always rankled with her, however, so a great many underhanded insults and/or tricks stayed with her (Most of which she bequeathed to those under her position in the Guard). All members of the guard must be instinctive trackers, and Kéowen is no exception - she is one of the best in the group, having a talent for observation.

Weapons/armour: Plain recurve bow and quiver of crudely fletched but accurate arrows (nothing special), as well as a longsword that had clearly seen service in the past (though an heirloom, it has remained suspiciously well-kept in past years, and it was with great criticism that Kéowen's great-uncle claimed it to be elven-wrought) but is still in good condition. Plain leather vambraces and a sturdy leather jerkin are her armour.

Personality: Honey and snake-tongued in equal measure, Kéowen is perfectly capable of holding her own in a slanging match - and has also been known to start them, being possessed of a shorter temper than her fair ancestors. She doesn't suffer fools gladly, but sticks to threats rather than physical violence in order to get her way. She enjoys social company but rarely of the physical kind, unless the attraction is too strong for her to handle - which happens with a rarity that it depresses her to think about.

The knowledge of her own body that is currently escaping her conscious thought (see history) would completely throw her off-balance, as soldiering has been and is her life - without she feels she would be lost.

History: Born to a well-born family in Edoras, Kéowen was groomed by her father to be the feminine pride and joy of the family (which, as well as being large, was also close-knit). Unfortunately for him, it wasn't to be. Alenwyn, Kéowen's mother, noted the tomboy attitude harboured by her daughter - often was the fair-haired and small girl seen playing with the boys, or with the children of neighbours, coming home with scratches and bruises but seeming to care little for them. It had been obvious from an early age that the girl's curiosity was growing rather than receding, and when her teens arrived, so did the Elven heritage become apparent.

Silently, her father had been worried (after all, if it was obvious his daughter was not pure Rohirrim, would her dowry be smaller?), but it was to get worse with her announcement upon her eighteenth birthday that she intended to join the Rohirrim. Her determination won through the jibes, however, and it was with loving reluctance that her parents - both of whom respected her wishes, but prayed that she would grow out of it - let her sign up.

At that time there were very few women in the armed forces, and procession in the ranks was difficult - but as those remaining Orcs grouped, Rohan decided there was a time for action. An experimental group was formed - the Edoras Home Guard. The job of this group of highly trained individuals was to scout the area surrounding Rohan, including the outskirts of the Dead marshes, Dunland and the borders of Gondor, rooting out and exterminating threats before they could form.

As a proven tracker - something she had, it seemed, excelled at in training - Kéowen was added to the group. She made fast friends with another recruit, a lower-born Rohirrim named Réolan. Often sent out together when the group paired off, they traded skills until both became equals in skill, working to improve each others weaknesses - which so happened to be the other's skills.

This did not go unnoticed, and by the time the two of them reached thirty years of age Réolan was in command of the group, and Kéowen was his second-in-command. There worked well as a team, readily passing on knowledge to those of lesser rank and more than willing to aid. By this time, however, rumour grew of resistance from a hitherto unknown quarter, one without a name but with a building reputation as gossip spread (FYI: This is hopefully going to be the setup for the Easterling assault... Eomer wouldn't know who was spreading such rumours, as travellers' talk spreads like wildfire and chnges with every retelling) of a disturbance in the peace of the nation. Though the guard was on alert, nothing came of the rumours and Rohan relaxed its forces - but the Guard were instructed to be more vigilant than ever, and to increase their scouting manoevres both north and east.

It was on one of these scouting missions - where they regularly split into six pairs, heading off in marginally different directions with a meeting point after a certain time - that Réolan and Kéowen's relationship moved far closer than intended, resulting in a night of fulfilled and mutual passion that would have far-reaching consequences.

Both of them, embarassed for each other, vowed that such a thing could not happen again - and wouldn't, as it could jeopardie both of their careers and alter the objectivity of their command. Comfortable in their knowledge that it had been a mistake that would not be repeated, they returned to their meeting point and jouneyed home with easy minds.

Now, things have changed. Though both Kéowen and Réolan are unaware of it at present, Kéowen is three months pregnant with Réolan's child, and with that knowledge both a relationship and a life hangs in the balance.

Eomer has now asked of the pair that, as up-standing members of the Army and the highest-ranking of their group, they journey to the Grey Mountains to recover the history of the Rohirrim. Both agreed, feeling compelled to after having been asked to perform such and important task as well as wanting a change in the routine of normal life. Time, however, is not on their side - and for Kéowen in particular time is running out to make he most important observation of her life.

Aaaand..... number two!

Name: Réolan

Marital Status: Single

Race: Rohirrim

Physical appearance:

Réolan is tall for a Rohirrim, standing at 6'2". He is broad-shouldered and well-built, with the classic triangular-shaped torso (broad shoulders and a thinner waist) of someone whose chest and arm muscles are very well-toned - most of the muscles of those that belong to the Home Guard are in very good condition, it being a requirement of the group due to consistent travel.

Though fair, Réolan's skin tone is a little more than than that of his second-in-command, and freckles are not something he need worry about, as he tans instead. He has rarely been known to blush when embarassed, instead finding trouble pronouncing his words instead.

His hair is nutmeg-coloured, a light brown tinged with the auburn carried by his mother. It is shoulder-length and wavy, often left loose to hide his eyes - which often betray what he is feeling - but in times of action tied back for ease. The eyes that give way so much of his thoughts when he isn't on guard (that is, among his friends and those he trusts) are a bright, cornfield-blue in colour, rimmed with a darker blue and the mirror of his father.

His face shape is different to that of his counterpart, her elven hints swapped for broader cheekbones, a longer forehead and a longer face. Had he been the type to mingle with women he would have been labelled as 'rugged', his face rarely completely clean-shaven and his visage never seeming tidied in general.

He dresses like the rest of his unit, wearing greens, browns and blacks as camouflage against the elements he travels in, the horse of Rohan stitched onto the inside layer of his brown cloak, next to his heart, to remind him and the others of home when they stray.

Skills: Réolan is a natural warrior, having a comfort with his weapon that is rare in one his age - which, for mastery of a blade, is relatively young. He can track adequately, but in that aspect of the field Kéowen is by far his superior. His aim with a bow is very good, and it was by teaching Kéowen this skill that they became such close friends. He has a knack for people, being able to soothe and charm very well when the need arises, tending to deflect any situation with a joke or ribald comment.

Weapons/armour: Plain recurve bow and quiver of crudely fletched but accurate arrows (nothing special), as well as a longsword that bears the emblem of Rohan engraved into the hilt, with the motto of his family (another heirloom) along the blade in old Rohirrim: 'Live by your words.' He also wears plain leather vambraces and a Leather jerkin that sports a thin metal breastplate, dulled down and scoured to prevent any reflection that could give away his position.

Personality: Réolan was small and shy as a boy. but as he grew his confidence increased until he became an outspoken young man, capable of taking the situation in hand with a commanding voice and a stern gaze. His knowledge of the countryside was unparalleled as a teen, and it was this lust for adventure that convinced him to enlist. He used to think that he was able to refrain from social contact, should the need arise - but as his friendship with Kéowen improved he began to find that this wasn't so. An element of the shy child he was still remains in him when he is with one he is comfortable with, and if he hadn't been so relaxed with Kéowen he could indeed have behaved like that with her.

History: Réolan was born to a peasant family living in a village not far from Edoras, his family living from the land and turning it to their use rather than being born with 'blood-money' (as his father called it) inside the city walls. It had been evident from a very early age that, as tongue-tied as he was, Réolan was destined for more than inheritance of the farm (which would go to his older brother anyway). He began to wander far from home - he was often picked on by those in the village for being scrawny - and would arrive back late, his prents worried sick about him.

It had been his mother that had suggested conscription, knowing from the tales her father had related that in peacetime it would be much different to the dark times before. A great many recruits were needed to plug the gaps, and at the age of eighteen Réolan decided to follow his mother's wishes, knowing that should it not be the adventure he saught he would always have a place back home - even if the farm was not to be his. He had always known, however, that it wouldn't be enough for him should he return.

Réolan was a quick and apt learner, using instinct to achieve considerable merit for his skill with a blade - and the right people noticed such an up-and-coming soldier.

As those remaining Orcs grouped, Rohan decided there was a time for action. An experimental group was formed - the Edoras Home Guard. The job of this group of highly trained individuals was to scout the area surrounding Rohan, including the outskirts of the Dead marshes, Dunland and the borders of Gondor, rooting out and exterminating threats before they could form.

As a recruit to the group, Réolan found himself chatting often to an attractive high-born Rohirrim named Kéowen. Often sent out together when the group paired off, they traded skills until both became equals in skill, working to improve each others weaknesses - which so happened to be the other's skills.

This did not go unnoticed, and by the time the two of them reached thirty years of age Réolan was in command of the group, and Kéowen was his second-in-command. There worked well as a team, readily passing on knowledge to those of lesser rank and more than willing to aid. By this time, however, rumour grew of resistance from a hitherto unknown quarter, one without a name but with a building reputation as gossip spread (FYI: This is hopefully going to be the setup for the Easterling assault... Eomer wouldn't know who was spreading such rumours, as travellers' talk spreads like wildfire and chnges with every retelling) of a disturbance in the peace of the nation. Though the guard was on alert, nothing came of the rumours and Rohan relaxed its forces - but the Guard were instructed to be more vigilant than ever, and to increase their scouting manoevres both north and east.

It was on one of these scouting missions - where they regularly split into six pairs, heading off in marginally different directions with a meeting point after a certain time - that Réolan and Kéowen's relationship moved far closer than intended, resulting in a night of fulfilled and mutual passion that would have far-reaching consequences.

Both of them, embarassed for each other, vowed that such a thing could not happen again - and wouldn't, as it could jeopardie both of their careers and alter the objectivity of their command. Comfortable in their knowledge that it had been a mistake that would not be repeated, they returned to their meeting point and jouneyed home with easy minds.

Now, things have changed. Though both Kéowen and Réolan are unaware of it at present, Kéowen is three months pregnant with Réolan's child, and with that knowledge both a relationship and a life hangs in the balance.

Eomer has now asked of the pair that, as up-standing members of the Army and the highest-ranking of their group, they journey to the Grey Mountains to recover the history of the Rohirrim. Both agreed, feeling compelled to after having been asked to perform such and important task as well as wanting a change in the routine of normal life. Time, however, is not on their side - Réolan must make the most important decision he has ever been faced with.
Kaewen_Drift

Postby Arvandor » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:58 pm

Well that was a fun read. The clearing of remaining orc presences is fine with me. Very good, one or two more and I think it will be ok to start the IC.
Arvandor
Shield Bearer

Wow!

Postby The_Eavenstar » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:39 pm

[color=indigo]You are really good at describing. I mean really WoW! I'd never go into that much depth on a character but really WoW! Good job. My hats off to you! SO when do we start? Should we each come in one by one to the court of Eomer and announce ourselves as taking part in the search for the relics or should we just all meet up at the city gates for a farewell like in the Felloship extended version outside Rivendell. Eomer making a grand speech and etc etc[/color]
The_Eavenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)