Looks like "The Hobbit" is not on the immediate horizon!

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

Looks like "The Hobbit" is not on the immediate ho

Postby AlatarVinyamar » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:36 am

I haven't seen this mentioned here, though I'm sure a lot of people here have the LotR Fan Magazine. Anyway, it was news to me so it's probably news to others here!

From Sci-Fi News:

Jackson Mulls Lovely Bones

King Kong director Peter Jackson and his writing partner Philippa Boyens told the official Lord of the Rings fan magazine that their next project will be a film adaptation of the best-selling supernatural novel The Lovely Bones, according to a report on Ain't It Cool News.

"We feel comfortable with each other," Boyens said. "I am sure there will be other projects we do separately, but at the moment, as long as it works, we'll keep doing it."

The Alice Sebold book is narrated by the spirit of a murdered young girl as she watches her family and friends deal with her death. She also watches her murderer and follows the events in his life.
AlatarVinyamar
Ranger of the North

Postby Griffon64 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:05 am

The Lovely Bones?? I read that book, and it was a very good novel up to its last few dozen pages, when it petered out and completely spoiled the story for me.

But I'd go watch the movie in any case. The book didn't scare me, and as long as nothing goes radio-active in the movie like it DIDN'T in the book, the movie shouldn't scare me either. ( I scare easily )
Griffon64
Mariner

Postby SueB » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:32 am

I wasn't too surprised to hear that; after having to deal with Middle-earth for the past, what, seven years, I'm sure PJ will wait a while before returning to it. That's assuming they iron out the legal problems, and PJ decides he does want to commit to it.

I don't think we'll see any work start on The Hobbit for at least 2-4 years.

Sue
SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby dudalb » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:36 am

PJ is also talking about a film on Gallipolli he wants to do, so it's going to be a while before we get the Hobbit.
I think that PJ has several projects on the back burner, and he might change his mind about which one he does next, but the "Hobbit" looks less and less likely as his next project.
Or maybe he has taken one look at the legal mess with the film rights to"The HObbit" and decided that no quick resolution is going to happen, and he should plan accordingly.
But "Bones" looks interesting;Jackson is definently returning to "Heavenly Creatures" territory with this.
dudalb
Ranger of the North

Postby Primula_Baggins » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:06 pm

Maybe he's just being a realist. The rights to the Hobbit are out of his hands and he can't affect how soon they become available. So he isn't factoring it into his plans.

That might change if the rights situation comes together--as I think it must. Everyone involved has to know that the richest prospect for profit is to have PJ make The Hobbit, and soon. Why would anyone be unwilling to work things out, if a big delay means that PJ (and the huge LotR audience) moves on?
Primula_Baggins
Ranger of the North

Postby Unwin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:09 pm

The whole mess with the Hobbit is so utterly frustrating.

It's as if there is a big sack of money hanging there waiting to be taken but those who are tall enough to get it are pushing each other away from it while those of us who are too short can only sit and watch.

The major players (Jackson, Walsh, Boyens, Shore, McKellen and you can even probably count in Serkis) are beginning to drift away. Do they really expect that everyone will hang around long enough to wait till they get their acts together? Can't anyone see a win-win solution to the legal mess?

Urgggghhhh.... :x :x :x
Unwin
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Baltimore » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:43 pm

Maybe it is better this way. At least we know that nobody can ruin The Hobbit for the forseeable future!

Balto.
Lord_Baltimore
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:08 pm

I think they know that the fan base isn't going anywhere. The books have been popular for the last 50 years.

The 'talent', on the other hand, is a different story. While it might be a good idea for them to try to reuse a lot from the LotR movies, it is possible they'd like a fresh start. McKellen, who was a stellar Gandalf, does not have to be Gandalf. Give someone else a chance!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby eborr » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:19 am

If New Line and Peter Jackson want it to happen it will, obviously there will be an argument over money - but that can always be resolved.

Reminds me a bit of something good sales people do when they have had a great year, and they are come up with opportunities that are bankers.

They take the orders and stick them in their backpockets (metaphorically) until the next financial year.

The hobbit is the film for PJ and/or New Lines rainy day
eborr
Ranger of the North

Postby RohanCricket » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:10 pm

am i the only one that doesn't think PJ is the best guy for The Hobbit? i mean it's really a children's book and that there will no place for PJ's love of gore and spewing blood? I haven't seen too many of his other movies, so this is just off of LOTR.

I just don't want my little kid's story (no offense intended) turned into a gore fest. Not that there's much to work with from in the book in that regards.

I don't mind waiting... i have EE versions to watch! Me and Bree were going to watch the cast commentary of ROTK this sunday... i don't think we stopped talking from when we put the dvd in! it was the RC & Bree Commentary!
RohanCricket
Rider of the Mark

Postby legolas_is_mineOB » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:54 am

Ahh I dunno about that. LotR wasn't that gory, especially compared to PJ's other work. But I guess it's a matter of opinion.

I read the first chapter of The Lovely Bones...I would've read the rest, but it was someone else's book back in sixth grade and I never got around to finding another copy.

And...What ever happened to King Kong??

--Lim
legolas_is_mineOB
Ranger of the North

Postby bird » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:13 am

Nasty bi-planeses got him!
bird
Rider of the Mark

Postby semuta » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:28 pm

legolas_is_mineOB wrote:And...What ever happened to King Kong??

Are you serious? You can't be... but anyway, King Kong will be in a theater near you this December. More
semuta
Ranger of the North

Postby dudalb » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:40 pm

"

"Nasty bi-planeses got him! "

No, precisousss, it was beauty that killed the beast......

:D

Considering the amount of money being sunk into Kong, everybody in the world will be aware of it come December..
dudalb
Ranger of the North

Postby legolas_is_mineOB » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:44 pm

[Bangs head on keyboard]

Well I was busy with RotK EE and and...I live in Japan, and I never hear anything until far too late and...[keeps muttering excuses]

Well hey I'm happy, I'll see it sooner than I expected. :D

--Lim
legolas_is_mineOB
Ranger of the North

Postby Razorback » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:51 pm

He could always just "add" The Hobbit to the beginning of FOTR Ultra Edition. ;)

RB
Razorback
Ranger of the North

Postby Unwin » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:26 pm

Does New Line's involvement with a His Dark Materials movie make Hobbit even far less likely?

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/ceo/articles/0,15114,1019932,00.html
Unwin
Ranger of the North

Postby Primula_Baggins » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:21 pm

I could only read the first page, Unwin, but I would say it's no less likely than before. HDM just isn't likely to be the kind of hit LotR was (almost nothing is), and that might, if anything, increase New Line's motivation to revisit Tolkien, assuming the legal matters can be settled at all. (Why the various rights owners aren't already hashing something out, I'll never understand; sooner is better than later, and unusable rights are worthless.)
Primula_Baggins
Ranger of the North

Postby Unwin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:48 pm

Primula_Baggins wrote:I could only read the first page, Unwin, but I would say it's no less likely than before. HDM just isn't likely to be the kind of hit LotR was (almost nothing is), and that might, if anything, increase New Line's motivation to revisit Tolkien, assuming the legal matters can be settled at all. (Why the various rights owners aren't already hashing something out, I'll never understand; sooner is better than later, and unusable rights are worthless.)

The thought that had entered my mind was that New Line is going to sink in $390,000,000 ($130,000,000 x 3) into a fantasy trilogy. So the New Line executives might now be thinking this way: "Well, we can't have ALL of our money in fantasy films which may end up competing with each other. Besides, this whole legal nonsense with the Hobbit is too much a pain in the ass while we can make just as much money on these HDM films for which there are no legal problems." Or something like that. With more Harry Potters coming and CS Lewis films on the horizon too, the fantasy genre could get really overcrowded.

The HDM films will be a trilogy so these may occupy New Line until say... 2010? Then they may start thinking about the Hobbit.

Sigh....

(Edited to change the dollar amount and some embarrassing misspellings which can conveniently be blamed on an overdependence on MS Word's AutoCorrect)
Unwin
Ranger of the North

Postby dudalb » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:08 pm

I am one of those who think that New Line is crazy spending so much on the HDM films, which I consider to be a very risky venture indeed. They are not nearly as well known as LOTR, and the anti-religious angle of the books is very,very, risky. There are other, equally popular Fantasy Novels which do not carry all the religious baggage of the HDM books.
dudalb
Ranger of the North

Postby dudalb » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:10 pm

BTW anybody else think that Uwe Boll should do the Hobbit :twisted:
dudalb
Ranger of the North

Postby Razorback » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:03 am

I can't imagine that HDM will even come close to making LOTR money.

RB
Razorback
Ranger of the North

Postby johnboy1 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:43 pm

I am both anticipating and dreading "The Hobbit." I would like to see it because it would be Middle-earth's last on-screen hurrah (more on that in a minute). However, I dread it because it would mess up certain points of continuity. The Prologue of FotR established Ian Holm as "younger Bilbo" (they were able to tape his wrinkles back since it was only a ten-second shot). Ian Holm is not fit to play a "younger Bilbo" for three hours. Thus, the continuity would be screwed.

This will also give them an excuse for the "Ultimate Edition" DVD's (as if the shift in the CGI models of Gollum and the Great Eye after FotR wasn't excuse enough, now they could redo the scene of the Ring's finding with Holm's successor). In theory, they could use Gollum-like CGI techniques on Ian to make him look younger throughout the movie, but that would be an unnecessary hassle. The role would also put far too much stress on the aging Holm (I felt sorry for McKellen throughout the LotR trilogy). Speaking of Gandalf, they'd probably drag the other Ian back into the mix, poor guy.

Anyway, about the "last hurrah" thing: The Lord of the Rings has achieved its "definitive" movie version. There will never be another LotR movie (unless it's made by some crazed fanboys with a minimum budget). Hell, there's even a game with a completely new story (or so it is portrayed) based off the movies. Bakshi's movie and R/B's conclusion, from a fan's point of view, were EXTREMELY replacable. PJ's masterpieces aren't. As wonderful as it was, R/B's The Hobbit is also replacable. If this movie is made like PJ's LotR, it, also, will be a "definitive" film version.

Given this, there are only two books about Middle-earth left: "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" and "The Silmarillion." The first was easily the most poorly-written and most awkward component of the Middle-earth saga, in my opinion, as it lacks a central (or any, for that matter) plot, developed characters (besides Tom, who some think should never have been developed in the first place), and one thing that benefits all good stories: SENSE. Combine that with the fact that the closest thing to a central character it has was left out of PJ's LotR, and we know we can toss the idea of an AoTB movie into the garbage heap of film ideas.

All that remains is the Sil. And we all know that won't happen, now, don't we? If, legally, the matter got out of the iron-willed CRT's hands, I wouldn't put him above hiring a hitman for the most unfortunate director. Hell, I wouldn't put MYSELF above hiring a hitman for the unfortunate director if CRT failed to do so in a timely fashion. It's just not going to happen, so I won't go into the now-trivial "How would they make it?" aspects of the project.

With all that said, the new (and most likely "definitive") rendition of The Hobbit will be our last visual peek at the world of Middle-earth. Needless to say, I'll kill them if I don't get an EE.
johnboy1
Shield Bearer

Postby MithLuin » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:52 pm

johnboy, please breathe.

That's it...

Now, if you will just put the gun down and step away from the nice gentleman...

Very good.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many death threats in your last post. And while I understand the feelings that inspired them, :D, I really can't say I find that to be a good way of expressing yourself.

I have to say I agree with you on the 'definitive' thing. I haven't heard any talk of any plans to remake Gone with the Wind any time soon.... I would say it would have to be 20 years before anyone would even think of touching LotR again, if then. But in the end, nothing is sacred. So, you never can tell.

I am not the least bit worried about continuity. One 5 sec. shot in the Prologue of FotR will not ruin an entire film of the Hobbit. Ian McKellen does not have to play Gandalf (though they would be smart to put in a cameo by Orli as Legolas). The Hobbit, as a film, MUST stand alone.

No one has the rights to make any other Tolkien films, and I sincerely hope they don't get them. I would be more concerned about a foray into making up a story using the same characters, though - a dreaded sequel (or prequel) NOT based on anything by Tolkien - than I am concerned about what they would do to the Silmarillion. While difficult, the Silm is doable. You'd have to fast forward a bit in the beginning (perhaps an opening credits montage or Prologue could cover the Ainulindale and the Valaquenta, or else eliminate all pre-elven stuff entirely) If you make it the story of the House of Feanor, you have a definable central character, and a central plot (revenge/ recover the Silmaril). I'm not saying that anyone would get this right, I'm just saying that you could do it.

The success of Lord of the Rings (and Harry Potter) has opened the floodgates for filming fantasy, especially children's fantasy. Everyone will be jumping on the bandwagon (resulting in a lot of horrid stuff), and eventually the Hobbit will be made. But not necessarily by New Line or PJ....

I'll wait and see, but I won't hold my breath.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby johnboy1 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:56 pm

The whole death threat thing was humor and nothing more. Sometimes my humor is so dry and un-humorous-sounding that some take me seriously. Combine that with the inability to express tone of voice and background chuckling in an internet forum, and you have an equation for confusion. Although, seriously, if CRT disowned his son over the latter's support for Peter Jackson's adaptation... you never know.

Which brings me to an interesting point that just occured to me a few moments ago. CRT disowned his son for appreciating a "defilement" (or so he considers it) of his father's legacy. Do you think there might have been an ulterior motive for the RotK EE scene where Gandalf speaks of the fall of Gondor's nobility? Seriously, Gandalf talks about how kings (CRT would be considered one among the Tolkien Estate for the herculean task that was the Sil, UT, and HoMe) counted the names of their ancestors (or father, as it were) greater than the names of their sons (Simon, in this case). Could they be taking a shot at the Great Editor?

Anyway, about my stance on the Sil film: While I would not take illegal action against anyone, I would be vehemently opposed (even though I'd go see it and get every version of the DVD). I find the Sil to be Tolkien's ultimate work (which was a sentiment the man himself shared, if I understand correctly). The Hobbit was a good kid's story and would make a great film. LotR was an AWE-INSPIRING adventure book that has finally been done justice on film after years of suffering from Bakshi's masochistically entertaining travesty. As I said before, AoTB wasn't much to my liking, but, hey, it's part of the mythos, and I can't change that.

But, to me, the Sil is different from all the others. I'm not going to beat around the bush here; the Silmarillion as Tolkien envisioned it (or as we can guess that he did) would have been my second favorite book next to the Bible (the fact that the latter is the word of God Himself being the deciding factor :wink: ). The Silmarillion as we have it is little less. My futile attempt to realize JRRT's vision (my attempt at a more complete Sil rewrite) is the result of my love for the work that is and the work that could have been.

Now that I've gone pseudo-philosophical on your ass, I'll start to breathe :wink: :) .
johnboy1
Shield Bearer

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:11 pm

Could they be taking a shot at the Great Editor?

They could be quoting the book, in a scene that was filmed about five years ago....

As for a Sil movie, yeah I'd be opposed if someone tried to do the whole thing, but in parts, I think there's potential; there's a script for 'Turin' on this very forum, and Beren and Luthien, and the Akallabeth could be filmed as well, granted, there'd have to be rewriting, and masses of invented dialog, but I think it's possible that 'faithful' adaptations could be made.

ttbk
If this was slightly incoherent, it's because it's past midnight, and I should really be in bed...
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Postby MithLuin » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:57 pm

johnboy, I know you were teasing ;). Unfortunately, I handle humor by treating it as if it were serious, in an attempt to be funny...I know, pathetic ;). And, sometimes, I am disturbed by violent threats, even if they are just in jest.

The Silmarillion as TV mini-series would, of course, work much better than a movie.

Actually, if you made it into a story of the Feanoreans, Turin wouldn't appear at all, nor would the Akallabeth.

Another possibility would be to tell the stories of Turin and Tuor, sorta a combination of the Narn with the Fall of Gondolin....seriously depressing stuff, but it could end on a note of hope (Earendil!).

The book, the Silmarillion, could not be turned into a movie, no. But it could be mined for stories to make into movies quite easily. (And CJRT will not live forever... ).

Anyway, I understand your love of the book, and I am familiar with your project. And I know the fear, disgust and hatred that coils up when someone messes with something that is sacred. I can't read Bored of the Rings, myself. But what if, wonder of wonders, they get it right?

Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ comes to mind. Even if I don't like some scenes, and some ways he handled things, I have to say that he got the feel of it right - there is a very devotional nature to his movie, so that someone who believes the stories of the Bible can be like, yes, yes, that's it! That is how it happened, that is what it was like.

What if someone could capture just one scene of the Silmarillion correctly? Can you picture what it would be like to see Fingolfin's people marching from the Helcaraxe to Middle Earth, and seeing the sun rise for the first time, and the flowers blooming under their feet? Or Finrod and Beren, mostly naked, chained in the darkness of Sauron's dungeon, when a growl is heard? Or Luthien, revealed before the seat of Morgoth?

Now, I know the problems. No girl can be as beautiful as Luthien, or possess her voice. (Same goes for her mother, Melian). And what illustrator has ever known how to capture the appearance of an elven soldier? Fair featured, with flowing hair, and yet a grim ancient spirit burning inside... How can you convey the terror of Morgoth, or even Carcaroth, on film? Who can show the beauty of Valinor in the light of the Two Trees without intense disappointment? And this is all assuming that they've found a way to introduce so many characters with such confusing names to the audience without confusion...

But if someone is willing to try, and understands (truly understands and loves) the source material, just maybe it can be done. Perchance they can find some way to do these things that seem so hopeless. Of course, a strictly fan version would be awful, because it would take a lot of skill (not just love) to pull it off. But, well...can't they be allowed to try? It won't make any money no matter what, so if it is terrible, it will just get lost in the backwater anyway.....

Hope springs eternal :) Despite my love of Frodo (or perhaps closely related to that), I tend to have Sam's outlook: Hope Unquenchable!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby johnboy1 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:08 pm

(And CJRT will not live forever... ).

Now wasn't that just a bit mean-spirited?

Or Finrod and Beren, mostly naked, chained in the darkness of Sauron's dungeon, when a growl is heard?

OOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKAAAAAAYYYYYYY, I know what you're trying to say, but that struck me the wrong way for a second there.

Anyway, some parts just wouldn't work. Back in Medieval Times, the Narn would have coerced moans of grief and tears of despair, as unknowing incest was a particularly tragic incident that almost always had bad consequences (it did King Arthur in, didn't it?). Nowadays it would only cause a groan of disgust from the oldies and a few fhuckles from the young ones.
johnboy1
Shield Bearer

Postby MithLuin » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:53 pm

No, just a fact. Neither you nor I will live forever, either.

Personally, I think CJRT has done great things for the Tolkien estate, and I consider him the heir of his father (making him Dior, right?)

Haha, sorry my imagery came out a bit....weird. As much as I have always loved Finrod, I didn't mean it that way! The general gist of it is that the hero's quest has reached an all time low. They have been captured and stripped of their disguises by Sauron. They are in a dungeon. Their companions are dead. What could be worse? And then the wolf growls... So, if done correctly, that should be the perfect set-up for Finrod desperately attacking the wolf and dying to save Beren.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby anacrian » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:44 pm

To baaaaaaaaaaad! i'm really hoping for it to come out though! it would be really cool if a movie about the "begginigs" came out, that seems to be a hot trend right now, maybe as the year goes along we can have some good news still.
(fingers crossed)
anacrian
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien