Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welcome

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welc

Postby wilko185 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:59 pm

THIS POST - Introducing ourselves

NEXT POST - Useful links to:
  • TORC Guidelines, Rules and Help
  • Tolkien Links on the Web
  • Role Playing on TORC
  • Other Useful TORC Resources
  • Great TORC Threads
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

_I N T R O D U C T I O N_

Welcome, welcome! So, you are new to theonering? Eager to discover, but not sure where to start? Don't hang back, now....... push open that rickety garden gate and come in!

The winding path of blue-green pebbles will lead you through the fragrant grasses, past the many-coloured blooms, beneath the sun-dappled green boughs of the trees. Be patient, enjoy your meandering stroll and you will come at last to the elegant little arch which springs over the laughing stream and the garden will open before you... expanses of lush lawn with the peeping eyes of niphredil and elanor, rustic beds of flowers bobbing their heads in greeting with the gentle breeze beneath the open green canopy.

Your eye will be drawn to the lovely sunlit rise from which the graceful trunk of our young mallorn rises and you will spy in its golden shade the capacious garden seat, its timber greying now but still lovingly maintained by the Bookworms. It is placed just where you would want it, with its delightful westward view over the distant parklands. There is a jug of home-made lemonade and clean glasses laid out on a tray for any new Bookworms who may wander through.

To the east behind the foliage peeks the Bookworms' Lounge, reached by a cunningly wrought elvish stair of natural timber, delicately curving and finely enjoined, its knots and hollows a pleasure to the hand and the eye. The sounds of laughter and gentle music float down from the open windows and terrace of the Lounge... the Bookworms are at home and literary discussion has given way to the relaxed pleasures of friends well-met.

Take a seat, help yourself to lemonade, breathe deep of the air redolent of green growing things and rest your eyes contentedly upon the horizon, where the misty outlines of the mountains ascend to the sky. We can see you sitting there, getting your bearings, enjoying the tranquility. We won't intrude until you are ready... just wave to say hello!
(Credit to Novice for composing the lovely opening)

The Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge and Garden is a welcoming adoption thread run by a group of friends who have a love of books (Tolkien's especially) in common. We're a friendly, knowledgeable, kindly, expressive, good humoured and on the whole, a bookish bunch of people. We frequent the Books, Movies, Philosophy, Talk and Virtual Tolkien Study Group forums, among others.

We are: Mahima, Prettygaladriel, truehobbit and wilko185. This is our adoption thread. This is the third incarnation of this thread, go here to read part two if you're interested, but only reply to this thread please. Anyone who just wants to have some fun and chat about life, books or whatever's on your mind can usually find us and like-minded souls in The Lounge and Garden for Bookworms, a conversation thread in the Talk Forum.

Below we introduce ourselves, and the next post contains some useful links that should help you make the most of your time here at theonering. If you like the look of our thread and would like to be adopted by us, just post a reply :).

THE ADOPTERS

As you might have guessed, we're all book-readers, but we have a wide variety of interests beyond that. We hope you get to know us better :)
    Mahima mahima_hada@delmia.com
    "I read loads of books, humour, philosophy, sci-fi, fantasy. I frequent most of the forums, but tend to stick to Philosophy, Books (Tolkien and Other), RP in Prancing Pony, VTSG, Lighter Side, Bird and Baby. I'm an Indian,a Mechanical Engineer working as a "Product Lifecycle Management" expert, married, no kids, and like to do a lot of things, but not keep my life too fast-paced. And I'm not as old as I sound ;)"

PrettyGaladriel Prettygaladriel@hotmail.com
    "I live in Sydney, Australia. My nickname is PG, so call me that:). I read LOTR two years ago, and ever since, I've been obsessed. Then I watched the movie, and after that was when I found TORC. I've been here for almost a year (as you can probably tell by looking at the date joined under my name:)). I'm cheecky and sarcastic, but don't be intimidated. I'm a very,very nice person:):) I'd like to be an adopter because I love meeting and helping out new people:):)"

truehobbit truehobbit@web.de
    My favourite places on TORC are Books (Tolkien) and Talk, but I can also be found in Movies and Philosphy, Books (Other) and many other forums. I've only been reading Tolkien for a little under four years now (yep, right before the movies, and only got interested thanks to them), and finding Tolkien (and TORC) has been an overwhelming experience.
    I'm from Cologne, Germany, where I try to teach English to grown-ups, and my favourite pastimes, apart from TORC, are reading, gardening, movies, writing, needlework, music (mostly classical), and a lot more that I hardly have time for.
    The many friendly and bright people on this board make it easy to feel at home here, and I'll be happy if I can help along with all the bookworms adopters to represent that spirit.

wilko185 felagund185@yahoo.co.uk
    yahoo!: wilko185
    "I'm usually to be found in the books-oriented forums here on theonering (TORC), but also make appearances in Philosophy, Talk, and especially Movies. I've been reading Tolkien for about 18 years, my favorite book is the Silmarillion. I've found the people on this site to be friendly, funny and intelligent - I try to be the same, and sometimes manage it ;).
    Outside TORC I'm a scientist from the UK, and love reading, films, roaming the internet and the great outdoors, travelling when finances allow, and some more reading :)."

We have several "emeritus" adopters who are not currently active, but may drop back in, and may be active in the future (email me, guys, I'll update your status :)):
    Alexandros
    Armenelos
    CaMinx
    Carnimiriel
    jeanelf
    Nessamelda
    Novice

THE ADOPTEES

See the previous threads (in the Adoption Attic) for info on our adoptees of this thread before August'04:
Teremia, striderchick, Plual226, Lady_Galadriel786, RavenX aka RidderMark, Luvn_Legolas_Girl, Mr-Moony, Andri, ~*ArwenEvenstar*~, karakie, Faramirjam, Wicked_Wytch, gwaedh, Tobias_Red-tail, SpawnOfSauron, Marie, Manheyn_Rawar, lychee_goblin, jwoolygirl, Dovesong, arielmoonbow, FrrodoLives, Snapdragon_Brandybuck, Alassante_Estel, Elessar15, Arwen1989, SiriusBlack, Tar-Elestirnë, Dad-human, Finnabhair, mytherielle, Dev, mar, BigMama, niphredilmaiden, Sandorf, ErynofLasgalen, Sky4, soul_warrior, Chizala, seren, Mrfrodo, elatan, celebalqua, Hikaru, Alatariel_Taralom, The_Sea_Bell, Jude, LadyOfValor, Evenstar27, AragornsEvenstar, Eltirwen, LaBelleAuReveDormant, No_Man, RoseMorninStar, LaBelleAuReveDormant aka LaBelle, scop, RuneSage, salean

Welcome to our new adoptees:
    Taethowen2108
    I am a Christian college student in Oklahoma who loves Jesus, reading, watching DVDs and spending time with my friends when I'm not studying or working. :) I am a born-and-bred Texan, and proud of it, but not annoyingly so.

gobarg
    I am 39 and plan on staying that way for awhile.
    i am an Australian who grew up in the BUSH and have been living in the BIG SMOKE for about 15 years.
    I rode my motorbike across the continent to see a Grand Prix bike race and ended up staying.
    I first read the hobbit as a school book but was so hooked that I went straight onto the Lord Of The Rings.
    I was so engrossed in the books that my father took them off me so that I would eat.
    Needless to say I loved the story and have reread it dozens of times.
    I think that my favourite character has always been Samwise.
    I also think that it is Sam who receives the greatest of rewards.
    He gets to celebrate the peace.
    I love reading the geneology of the Gamgees

Wasara
    I have read the trilogy and Silmarillion.Just while ago read his biography.All what Tolkien created are interesting and I don`t get bored with those things.Other interests are music,bass playing,books,astronomy,movies,TV-documents,computer games,nature,cars etc.Role playing is a bit terra incognita for me but as is said in old song:when the times go by... And I`m wandered far from North,Finland.

venetia
    I am a newbie, although lurking for a while, but lurking is not the same as being a member!! I love books, rereading my favourites, movies, theatre, and I am from Australia
    I love LOTR, although I am a bookworm, but I actually hadn't read Tolkien until after I saw FOTR and have been obsessed ever since!! I still haven't read the Silmarillon, but have now bought it! I have a lot to learn about Tolkien's works and am looking forward to doing so via TORC.
    regards
    Venetia

deirdre
    I would love to be adopted by the Bookworms! I first discovered Tolkien quite accidentally in a paperback rack when I was 12 (back in 1960-something). I still have those battered Ballantine paperbacks! In fact, I have collected the entire Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series, although I have yet to read half of it. I have read widely though, and worked on a degree in English and Art whenever the demands of motherhood allowed. Recently, I have returned to college to finish the last half dozen classes I need for my degree. There I gleefully continue the custom of my (first) youth: placing discreetly artistic little notes around the campus advising all that "Frodo Lives." Tolkien's books have been an immense source of joy and support to me: I read Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion every year or two. My real name is Deirdre. I am Irish, born in Toronto (long story), and have spent most of my life in Cleveland Ohio.

TheRiddler
    I myself am a bookworm so i came here :P I guess I would like someone to show me the ropes and discuss the books with. I'm one of those people who when they get into something they get into something . My class went to certain play it was called "The hobbit" I admit I loved it but not enough to actually read the book when I found out about it unfortunately. Luckily at the time the movies were coming out I am one of those people who cant stand to see a movie based on a book before I actually read the book. so I took out the LOTR books from my library and read all of them just in time for the movies. I loved the books so much that i begged my parents to buy it for me, they did for my birthday... I then bought UT and the Similarion (sp) and i will be purchasing tales from the perilous realm (its only ten dollars where i live). i collect the Games Workshop models I have all three editions and I also have all three movies and the two games as you can see i really got into it. The one thing I dont like where i live is that there is noone to discuss the books with... I've heard this is the place to come to for Tolkien discussion so i signed up

So there's my life story :P,
    TheRiddler

Sirindu
    I live in the U.S. (we've got 13" of snow here today!) and I've read the Silmarillion, The Hobbit, LOTR, The Book of Lost Tales 1&2, and I'm currently reading the Unfinished Tales, which I like very much.

I'm currently working on a video game called The Last Alliance. It's a Tolkien purist's game, an RTS which will encompass all three ages of the Sun. I am a Game Design and Linguistics consultant there, but my role is not limited to that, and I will be helping out in other areas as well.

A Linguistics Consultant, yes, I am very fascinated with Tolkien's various languages of Arda. I'm currently studying the Hebrew language, which as some of you may know, Tolkien based several languages on, including at least some forms of Elvish.

If I remember correctly, this Bookworms group of adopters is also specialized in TORC's RPs, correct? I've done one LOTR based RP before, and that same group of people are starting another one in a few days, which I will also be in. That LOTR RP was my first RP, and I found it to be a lot of fun (I was Gandalf).

One reason why I found it fun was because I love writing. I've written one full novel, and I'm working on a sequal (tho it is going slow because my work with The Last Alliance takes up a lot of my time).

I could go on quite a while longer, but I won't burden you with an even longer post solely about myself. So I will wait and meet some of you, and over time you will get to know me better. :)

~WyrtWif~
    I first read LOTR when I was about 14, and in fact it belonged to my oldest sister. When she saw how much I loved it and that I read it over and over, she told me to keep it. When I first heard the rumors of the films in production, I stumbled across this forum, bookmarked it, but did not join. The anticipation of those years lead me to re-read LOTR once again, and also to explore a few of dear Tolkien's other works, including the Silmarillion, which I enjoyed immensely. I finally found myself reading here again, especially regarding the books themselves, and found myself so engrossed I decided it was about time I should join.

I made up the name WyrtWif from the Old English words for "Root" and "Wife." You can call me "Rooty" or WW, or I've even been called "Wyrty." Whatever suits your fancy is fine with me.

Bounder
    My name is Mike and I grew up in the frozen tundra of Minnesota USA. I have been a Tolkien fan for about 14 years (Half my life) and among the my family and friends I'm known as the LotR expert. After reading these forums I understand that all that I know is just a scratch on the surface of Tolkiens writings. I like playing RPGs (video games & Table top), football, models & minis, reading Scifi & Fantasy and watching movies. I have degrees in Medical Tech, Electonics Tech, and Bio Med. If I had a specialty to do with LotR I would have to say it would be in games as I Have played most of the Video,board, card, and Minis games made for LotR. I have read through LotR & the Hobbit 3 times and starting on the more historical books now. The Games Workshop minis game has been chewing up alot of my time lately. Anyway this seemed like the right forum fro me so ......Hello!

arwen_of_imladris
    Hi, just thought that I'd pop in and say hello to you all! I've been lurking here at TORC (mainly Books - Tolkien) for about 2 years and only had the courage to post once before!!

I've been a fan of the Hobbit since the age of 8 but I only started reading LOtR books and other works after FOtR was released in the cinema. My appetite for JRRT's work is insatiable right now and have started to read HoME (Hubby bought part 1 for me when he finally got the hint after 2 years of my mooning over it in Borders!) I live in the UK with my husband and 3 year old son.

I'm a huuuge bookworm too, so I thought that I would feel right at home here.

VardaElantari
    I found TORC a few weeks ago and lurked around reading posts, TOS, etc. I was impressed by all the goings on and decided to join. I looked for a place where fellow bookworms gathered and found your board Smile. It looked so friendly and peaceful, I thought I might quietly check things out - so much for quiet!

My husband received the LOTR book set as a present. I don't know if he ever got to read them - I've read them three times Smile . I've also read four of the books in the HoME series and and currently on Chapter 11 of The Sil. Yes, you're right - I'm a Tolkien fan!

almatari_ailin
    Ok well a little about myself... I live in the grand ole United States. I'm going to be graduating highschool in a week :). I love to read especially LOTR and Star Wars books (actually I love anything about LOTR and Star Wars). I also like to read mystery books etc... I love to write and am pretty good at writing essays but DO NOT ask me to write fiction <groans> :oI cannot do it.

As to my "Tolkien History". Well I had never heard of LOTR until the first movie came out so after much persading I convinced my parents to let me watch it and... voila i was hooked. I then read the books and watched the 2nd and 3rd movies in Theater and out.

My elvish name is my real first and middle names Jessyka Lynn in elvish. And yes you may call me Almatari or just Alma if you wish. Almatari means wealthy queen (which is what Jessyka means) and Ailin means waterfall (which is of course what Lynn means).

Ranger_Indil
    Guten tag meine TORC Freunde!

Y'all might want English now, so Hi y'all! Like I said, I'm new. Name's Ranger_Indil. Indi will do just fine.

I'm a diehard Tolkien fan since about two years before we heard about the movies. All my friends called me insane, but I guess that's partly true. I'm also a huge Star Wars fan, too. Thought I would mention that since I noticed some of you guys were talkin about the newest one. I've seen it three times. Trust me, the first time it is a little cheesy, but it gets better, a lot better.

I finde alles Bücher Spitze!

Well, fantasy and most sci-fi.

My parents get mad at me a lot because I stay up reading way after I should be sound asleep.

Most of the people at my school think I'm insane because I like to read. Then they get mad at me when I get really good grades and they fail things.

~Sorcia~
    Hello and greetings fellow bookworms. I'm not exactly looking into being adopted, since I have been here before, though it was long ago. So I do know my way around the boards. But I thought I would stop here for a little advice. And well.. since I am a bookworm, I thought this would be the best choice!

My question.. or advice needed is.. As a newbie...again.. (and this may be a question other newbies have) is.. I find it difficult to just.. jump into any thread when there seems to be a conversation going on and about 100+ posts in the thread to read over if you plan on joining the conversation or at least know what others are talking about. Does that make sense? I hate to just jump in the middle of a discussion..but then.. I'm probably doing that now..

MorwenNocis
    Hello, I'm MorwenNocis. As you can see by my number of posts, I'm a bit of a newbie here at the wonderful site of TORC and I was wondering if I could become one of your adoptees! I'd like to know anything you have to teach me, especially about Role Playing and the Virtual Study Group!

Amfigorion
    About myself...well, I`m from Romania where I try to study Laws. I`m not too enthusiastic about it, but after all, nobody forced me, so, now, after a year of "why didn`t anyone stop me?" I decided to get myself motivated, whatever this means :D.

I like nature, reading, music...but this is too general, and to start a list like: leaves, Tolkien, guitar would be too detailed...so I`ll just say that I try to enjoy life as it is (it`s not always possible, though...) My username, since you`ve asked, comes from amphigory, a word that, as I know it, refers to a poem that seems meaningful, but in fact, at a close look, it is complete nonsense. I sometimes find myself thinking this way, that`s why I chose Amfigorion to be my name on the boards...

But in fact I am called Sol, and I am happy to be here :)

Last edited by wilko185 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby wilko185 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:10 pm

_U S E F U L _ L I N K S_

Here are some links to help you use this message-board, learn about role-playing here on TORC, and find out about Tolkien on the web.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TORC Guidelines, Rules and Help

Almost everything you need to know about getting the most from your time on this messageboard should be found by following these links. But there's a lot of facts and guidelines to take in here, and we don't expect you to learn them all before posting. Don't be shy of just asking in this thread if you're not sure about something, that's what we're here for :)

Two more points worth emphasising:
  • Under 18s should not reveal their age or specific location on TORC (or online in general, IMHO) for their own safety.
  • TORC has a helpful search function available at the top of the page. Before starting a new topic it's worthwhile doing a search to see if it's been discussed before. As well as helping to conserve TORC's precious bandwidth by avoiding starting redundant threads, you might find some fascinating insights from the TORCers of yore.

Complementary to the message-board search is the Front-page search. Although it cannot filter by username or specific forum of the message-board, it can also search TORC's articles, newsletters etc, and presents the results in a more convenient format.

Tolkien Links on the Web

The internet has thousands of Tolkien-oriented sites. Here are some of our favorites:

Role Playing on TORC

Even if you've RPed elsewhere, the role play here at TORC, which is collaborative story-telling rather than a role-playing game, may need some introduction. Here it is.

Other Useful TORC Resources

Great TORC Threads

Here are some threads, old and new, from various forums of this website. If not actually of classic status they are all well worth reading (in our humble opinion :)).

Books - Here are some of the longer, more discursive, threads on Tolkien's Books (more here).
    Who is THE hero of LOTR? Well? Who do you think it is?
    The Darkness - how deep? Some very thought-provoking posts on the darkness at the heart of The Lord of the Rings.
    Was Turin at Fault? An interesting question with many answers
    Frodo's Kitchen: A Safe Haven for Devotees of the Books A looong thread, but containing some good insights. If you want to get to know the Hobbits of LOTR better, this is the place.
    Gandalf's nature??? An interesting perspective on the nature of the Ainur.
    Veiled Vistas The wondrous nature of Middle-earth.
    Sea-longing Tolkien's recurring fascination with the sea.
    What really happened at Mt. Doom, part 2 Examining the climax of The Lord of the Rings

Movies - Some examples of the two things which tend to distinguish the Movies forum:
    the long-running and hard-fought "purism vs. revisionism" debate (maybe get inducted before plunging in):
    Changes As Guardians of the Themes and Characters
    The Leonides* and Kelannar Debate
    Tyranny of the Text
    Why should PJ have creative license?

very funny parodies:
    Son of W.I.N.K.L.E.!!!!! :D
    Whistler's Golden Oldies :D

and others...
    Ooh, those awful Elves!
    The Casting Scripts

Roleplay - Before posting to any role play thread, please check in at the relevant out-of-character (OOC) thread (apart from The Lucky Fortune Inn, where you can jump straight in :)).
    The Gathering Storm Winner of TORC's 2002 Silver Thread Award
    In Search of the Ringbearer
    The TORC Conspiracy
    The Wandering Inn
    BELERIAND
    The Inn at Long Lake...a journey ended (formerly known as In Search of Hunter's Rest)
    Elbren's Challenge: The Pillar of Heaven
    Caravan to Khand

Please tell us about broken links.

Suggestions for (even) more links will be gratefully received :)
Last edited by wilko185 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby truehobbit » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:22 am

truehobbit enters the shiny new adoptions room, carrying a big bunch of spring flowers - snowdrops, already gathered outside, sweet-scented hyacinths and primroses in pots, tulips and daffodils brought to bloom before their time, but it's so good to have the colours on a wintery day.
She arranges the cut flowers in vases, and places them on the tables and window sills.
That done, she gets a pot of tea ready, and puts cookies and cake on a tray, to await all the bookworms.

Ah, all ready to welcome everybody to our shiny new place - it looks lovely - the more so, when you had someone else to do the job of cleaning up! ;) :D

Thanks for restarting the adoption thread, wilko! :)

Although I made tea, maybe we should start with a round of Champagne to drink to this place!

To the bookworms' adoption centre, may it always be full of friends! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A short "business" message: the links in the introductory thread are all broken at the moment because TORC had some trouble with a virus attacking messageboards - Jonathan has had to make some changes to protect us. This means that if you look at the url for a thread, you'll see they all have "viewtopic2" in the address.
The links however only have "viewtopic" in the address they go to.
Because of that you get an error message when you click on a link.
To access the thread in spite of that, just type "2" after "viewtopic" in the url, after you have received the error message.
This should be temporary, that is, TORC threads should revert to the "viewtopic" address at some time, and then links will work normally again. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby salean » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:05 am

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice shiny new thread for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random piece of info- I have hiccups.......

Sal sits down with a book, right by the cookies. While Hobby is turning the other way she steals four at once!! As she is in the middle of scoffing them all at once Hobby turns around and sees her!!!!

Sorry......... :P

Thanks for restarting the thread Wilko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*raises glass (of orange juice....) to join Hobby in drinking to the bookworm's adoption centre*

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:48 pm

ok.. i have to type fast, 'cause i'm in a bit of a hurry.. i'm going on a camp for the weekend to do a student leadership course.. and i only found out on monday that the camp is this weekend.. but.. hello to every one...
also *drinks (champaigne and orange juice) to the new thread*
*bows*
sorry i'm in such a rush, but it can't be helped..
*hugz all round*

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:13 pm

Have fun on the camp Striderchick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hugs back*

Where is everyone??? Where'd they all go?????

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby No_Man » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:01 pm

Well, I for one am right here. :) I didn't realize we had a new thread. I kept waiting to get an e-mail message saying that someone had replied since my last visit, but I never got one. Finally I got to wondering and came looking around. And. . . . Viola! I am here! :)
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby truehobbit » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:56 pm

Just in the kitchen, getting more tea, salean - and more cookies! :P - but otherwise, I'm right here! ;) :)

Good to see people dropping in! And of course everybody is welcome to take as many cookies as they like! :D

Have fun in the camp, striderchick!

No Man, hi - hmmh, there were several replies in the old thread after yours. It's not gone, it's moved to the adoptions attic. :)
Here's the last page from the old thread: http://forums.tolkienonline.com/viewtop ... &start=570
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby salean » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:53 pm

More cookies??? I like cookies........ :P

woooo N_M!!!!!!! You're here!!!!!

People are back!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm really hyper........

Soooooooo

Arthur Miller died today...... we're studying one of his plays in class at the moment....... random piece of info there.......

Anyway.

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby prettygaladriel » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:26 am

Ahhh, i lovely, shiny new thread....

Thanks for starting this up again, Wilko. I'll try to be around more for this incarnation of our gateway....last time, certain events and obligations overuled by desire to come here more often. I'll still be around, though :)

:grouphug: to everyone.

Oh, yea, and just something i noticed....the link for the thread "Why should PJ have creative license?" is messed up, Wilko, could you fix it? Thanks ;)
prettygaladriel
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:25 pm

i had soooooooooooooooooooo much fun... it was for World Vision, and the 40 hour famine.. am just going to hope that you know what this is, because i just had a hard time explaining it to someone. we learned heaps, and we met heaps of new people.. and i had to be carried around for a lot of yesterday morning, cause it was part of the game.

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

I'm back too!

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:22 pm

Well, what do you know?

I guess I'll still frequent here, too.

(I was supposed to have an ingrown toenail removed today. It's held off for another two weeks.)

Feel free to say "ew."

It was good to see you yesterday, N_M, but I had a little something to show you in my green Altoids tin, but I TOTALLY forgot! I guess I wanted to tell you about

"If you want him...
Well,
YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM!
HE'S MINE!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/ ... n_anim.gif
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby Mahima » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:11 am

Lovely to be here!! :)

Thanks for the new thread, wilko and a big hi to all.
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby wilko185 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:31 pm

Hey all :). I was in a hurry (before I went off for week on holiday to Scotland :) ), so just dumped the new thread and got the old one deleted without explanation, I hope you all figured out where the old one is, and where we are now. Thanks hobby for toasting the reopening, and the link explanation; and to PG for the correction in the opening post (yay, someone is actually reading! :D)

As we're a "literary" thread :D, salean mentioned Arthur Miller: I "did" him in school too, we went to a production of 'View from the Bridge'. I felt a slight shock when I heard of his death, even though he had a full life and I don't know his work that well. It's odd how we value people more after they're gone, but I now feel an urge to read up on him :).
wilko185
Mariner

Postby VardaElantari » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:03 pm

V slowly makes her way through the beautiful floral display, up the lovely elven stair, stopping only to sneeze and wipe her eyes (blasted allergies :) ). She quietly sits down with her old worn copy of The Sil and is relieved that she hasn't disturbed anyone. Then, out of nowhere . . .
AAAAAchoooo!

:oops: Hi everybody! I apologize for disturbing you. I heard that a good humored, bookish bunch of people were here - and I've been searching for such a group. Is there room for another bookworm in your group :) ?

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:49 am

On the sound of sneezing, truehobbit, snuggled into a big armchair, looks up from her book. Seeing a new visitor, she gets up to greet her.

Hello Varda! Welcome to TORC and to the bookworms! :)

Sure there's always room for more! :D

Would you like some tea and cookies? Too bad about the allergies - what are you allergic against?

(Oh, and if you have any questions about this messageboard or so - just ask! :D )
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby salean » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:04 am

Hello and welcome Varda!!!!!! There's always room for another bookworm!!!!!!!!!

Frodo- Well, I'll say it then. Eeeewww..... :P

Striderchick- I'm glad that you had a good time. It sounds really cool!!!!! I think I vaguely know what the 40 hour famine is so I'm going to nod my head and look knowing.....

*attempts this*

Well.... maybe I shouldn't try to look knowing.....

Oh and I nearly forgot....

*hands Varda a tissue*

There you go!!!!!!! :D

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby VardaElantari » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:49 pm

V puts her book down and gladly accepts the tissue from Salean and wipes her tear-filled eyes :). Her vision has cleared and she spies the tea and cookies (yummmm!) which she gladly accepts and thanks truehobbit :D.

Thanks for the warm welcome - it's a pleasure to meet all of you! Truehobbit, I believe I'm allergic against those beautiful large, white flowers over there to the left of the path. They are so pretty, I had to stop and admire them. Must have gotten my nose a little too close!

I found TORC a few weeks ago and lurked around reading posts, TOS, etc. I was impressed by all the goings on and decided to join. I looked for a place where fellow bookworms gathered and found your board :). It looked so friendly and peaceful, I thought I might quietly check things out - so much for quiet!

My husband received the LOTR book set as a present. I don't know if he ever got to read them - I've read them three times :) . I've also read four of the books in the HoME series and and currently on Chapter 11 of The Sil. Yes, you're right - I'm a Tolkien fan!

I'd love to get to know all of you and what you're currently reading. It seems that some of the other adoption boards has another area where they get together and talk apart from their adoption thread. Do you have a place for discussion?

V snuggles down into a cushy chair and takes a big bite of one of the most wonderful cookies she ever tasted :D .
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby salean » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:38 pm

I don't know how we got our LotR books... all I know is that they were fairly unread when I got them, and now they're the most read books in the house....... :D

And we do have another place for discussion. If you go over to The Bird and the Baby, and scroll down you wil come across a place called 'The Bookworm's Lounge' you can find us there. :)

:P Sal :P
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:36 pm

Varda, when I first came to TORC I also was taken with how homey, that is, friendly, peaceful and cheerful the place is - makes you feel comfy immediately, doesn't it? :)

Wow, reading HoME before the Sil - that's rare, I think! :D I read the Sil pretty soon after LOTR, but still haven't got round to HoME.

At the moment I'm reading "Quincunx" by Charles Palliser, a long, mysterious yarn, set in 19th century England - quite a thrilling read, I think.

And, yes, we have another place in talk, like salean said - you can find the link in the first post of this thread (but here it is again): The lounge and garden for bookworms
Don't be daunted by the length of the thread. There is a description of what the place is like in the first post. Just jump in and join the discussion. I guess "discussion" is too serious a word, though ;) - we talk about everything, and you can share all sort of things you want to share. As for real discussion of the books or movies, of other books or philosophical subjects, just go to the relevant forums - all contributions are welcome, so don't feel you have to stand back because you're new or something! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happening to click on the link to the lounge just now, I noticed that we are back to the normal "viewtopic" mode - so the links in the first post should all be working again. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby VardaElantari » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:01 pm

Hey everybody - my computer is acting funny so if I end up double posting, please forgive me. I got home from work, poured a cup of soup, and came straight to TORC. I think I'm hooked!

After I finished reading LOTR I was hungry for more. I found a copy of one of the HoME books and was in heaven! Reading all of Tolkien's versions fascinated me. One of my friends read The Sil years ago and didn't enjoy it, so I guess that's why I saved it for last. I'm enjoying it.

I've not heard of "Quincunx," but I'm planning on checking it out. I love mysterious yarns!

I'm fixing to have to leave for a late meeting :( but promise to visit The Lounge and Garden for Bookworms (how did I miss the mention in the first post? Probably too excited to be here!!) tomorrow.

Varda
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby striderchick » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:09 pm

hello and welcome Varda.
salean the basic version of the 40 hour famine: you starve yourself for a weekend in order to raise money for third world countries.

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:43 am

Striderchick- Oooohhh, I see. That must be hard....

Me and my dad were in a book shop yesterday and he found a LotR quiz book. He opened it to test me and the first page he opened it at was geography of Middle Earth (Roads and Rivers). Now, I am very very bad at geography. I've only just learnt to tell the difference between my left and my right, it's all so confusing. And he refused to tell me which direction east, west, north etc. were and as a result I barely got any questions right.

I should really learn to tell where north is.........

I can occassionly find the north star.... but that's not much use in the daytime........

Aaaaanyway. We look forward to seeing you in the main thread Varda!!!!!

:P Sal :P
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby No_Man » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:13 pm

Hello, long time, no see! At least it feels that way. This past three-day weekend was the Lawn and Garden Show, so I have not had time to so much as think of getting on the computer the entire week. Friday and Saturday the show hours were 10 - 8. Sunday's hours were 10 - 5. But then it was about a half hour's drive in, plus an hour or so to restock in the morning, plus half an hour of chores, plus an hour to pull a load together and load the truck with plants to restock with. So. . . it has been a long and tiring week. Having to smile for ten hours straight for three days in a row will do really weird things to you. Like making you want to scowl for an entire week. :lightening: Like making you want to say something really sarcastic or false when you are asked the same question for the billionth time. :twisted: Like making you want to shred all the brochures you've been handing out with cheery congeniality. :bang: Like making you want to destroy those BLOODY PLANTS THAT PEOPLE WON'T STOP TALKING ABOUT! :x :eye: :angry: :evil:
*regains composure*
No, really, I'm fine. Just don't ask me what those plants are in the corner of the booth.
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:28 pm

Hey Salean - I couldn't begin to figure out the geography of Middle Earth, so I'm sure you did a lot better than I would have! I'll be over on the main board later this evening.

No_Man, it's nice to meet you. I feel your pain. I used to have to work the spring garden show for the local botannic society - it was three days long, too! It never failed, they would stick me at a booth full of plants I knew little about. Never the roses, ferns, or hostas. Local wildflowers - yep, that's where I'd end up! Love the little darlings, just don't garden with them at the moment and couldn't tell you that much about them.

I'm very glad you survived and I got to meet you today!

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Hi,

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:40 am

Hi, I'm back.

Nice to meet you, VardaElantari, interesting to know about you. But when it comes to N_M's life, she works at her family's greenhouse, and is entering Spring, basically the FULL TIME season! (100-hour weeks.)

I'm frustrated too. I wrote a movie script for THE HOBBIT that many people wanted to see. I finally began putting it up in a thread in the Movies forum...

...and no one has responded. It's the responses that let you know someone's reading!

But I'm not totally mad at the world. I finally let my managers know I wanted Wednesday nights and Sundays off, and they let me have them!

If you want a big test about Middle-earth geography, download "War in Middle-earth" from www.the-underdogs.org and play it with DOS Box. After a time, they ask you to enter a coordinate for a certain area. You really got to know it well. I don't want this to sound like I'm bragging, but I've gotten it right quite a few times. (But then, it was really guessing!)
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:34 pm

Hi Frodo! It's very nice to meet you. How's the (eeewww!!!) toe? :)

The thoughts of 100 hours in a green house sends V searching her pockets for a tissue! :D

I'd be sneezy, but I'd be in heaven - I :heart: plants!

I'll go over to the Movies forum in a little while and check your script out. I've gotta gather my courage up. After all, I'm a nOObie! Maybe I can put on a disguise 8) and get in and out of there unscathed!

Wednesday nights and Sundays off - AWSOME!!! I've asked to be allowed to come in at 7 am and leave at 4 pm (our hours are 8 to 5) on Wednesdays, but my boss said, "NO!!!" :cry2: Good news, though. He'll be retiring soon, so there's light at the end of the tunnel!

I'll give "War in Middle-Earth" a try and let you know how I do. I love a challenge!!

Oh, gosh! I just noticed I'm listed in the Adoptees!!! :D Pulls tissue back out of pocket and wipes eyes!

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby No_Man » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:10 pm

Hello, Varda!!!!! *curtsies* It is an honour to make your acquaintance! I hope to continue seeing you around here. So...... tell us about yourself. What are your hobbies? What type of books do you like (besides LOTR)? What do you enjoy doing? What country are you from? What kind of music do you enjoy most? What is the square root of 436? Never mind me, I think I'm still a little fried from the Land G show.
Speaking of which, I seem to be cursed with the opposite problem as you have with plants. I have been working with plants my entire life - all eighteen years of it - and I know most all the ones we grow by at least one or two names. (This one is Frederic the Fierce, but you can call it Fred. . . and over here we have Victoria the Vivacious, also known as Vicky. . . . . :wink: ) I almost wish I had allergies so I could have an excuse to get away from them. Not that that would work with my family. . . . .
Oh, I have an interview this Saturday. It is for that full-ride scholarship I applied for. This interview is the last step for me in order to get it. I am more than a little nervous due to how much rests on this. . . . plus the fact that I've never done an interview before. . . . Be thinking of me.
Well, I need to get back to work. . . . .not greenhouse work - computer work.
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:20 pm

V comes walking back up the path from the Movies Forum, happy that she crept in and out of the Forum and remains unscathed. She is so relieved stops by her house and whipped up a big batch of chocolate chip cookies. She walks into the library and puts the plate down for everyone to grab one.

Hey No_Man! Thanks for the warm welcome. :hug: Have a cookie! I love to garden, but am a novice at it. I have several different gardens about the house that have different plants in them depending on how much shade is there. I've moved some of my babies around a lot to find a spot that they really wanted to sink their roots into. That's my playground! I love mystery novels, but also read a lot of history books. I missed my calling - I should have been an anthropologist or archaeologist! I live in the U.S. and am an ecclectic music lover. Everything from classical to Coldplay!

I'll be thinking about you Saturday - best of luck!!!

Everybody, please help yourself to the cookies!!

:hug:
V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:31 am

Hmmmh - No Man - I had just meant to ask - what's that plant in the corner there? :P

:hug: for having such a tough time!

And I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on Saturday! :)

Varda, what do you do as a job?

Do you mean you haven't had a garden for a very long time, because you say you're a novice at gardening?

When my parents first moved into a house with a garden, I was surprised how big a difference it is from the balcony gardening I had only done before. So, now, at my own apartment I have a balcony, but I can bustle around in my parents' garden. :)
(And the balcony is all filled up with pots, too, of course! :D)

Looks like Tolkien-fans, and bookworms, and plant-lovers is a very natural combination! :D

*nibbles one of Varda's delicious cookies contentedly*

Frodobaggins, I've seen you around in movies, but I haven't had time to check out your script - sorry about that, I'll try to have a look soon! :)
I quite agree, it's very annoying to be ignored. But it happens, people don't mean harm with it. :hug:
truehobbit
Mariner

Next

Return to Adoptions