The Lucky Fortune Inn - Grand Re Opening.

A place for folks visiting The One Ring, from the newest visitor to the most grizzled veteran, to learn about the site and ask questions about this messageboard and site.

Postby SmogsFlame » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:25 am

Agoth laughed a deep harty laugh, he couldn't help himself. "Nay, nay, no need to work. Not unless you be needing a job. We've not got a lady to help us about the Inn. One would be greatly welcome. A cook we have,, and a fine one he is too. A stable master and repair man we have, that being me. But we have not a lady to wait on tables. Not a penny will you pay as long as your working here, and your free to leave as you wish."

Eleanor seemed much relieved. Agoth continued. "As for the chair, I apologize to my lady for any harm to her person. I had meant to fix that this morning but it slipped my mind. Ah but here I am talking you to death whilst you starve to death."

Agoth walked briskly to the kitchen and poured a mug of ale, grabbed a large piece of bread, a small dish of butter, bowl of fruit, and what was left of a roasted chicken and put it on a tray. He walked out and set the tray in front of Eleanor. "Here yah be. This is all that we have for tonight. You shall have better fair tomorrow. Ah almost forgot."

Agoth walked to the counter in the front of the room, and leaned over. Then grabbing a key on a small chain, he returned to Eleanor's table. "Heres the key to your room. The room number is on that bit of paper on the chain." Eleanor thank him as well as she could around a mouthfull of bread. Her face turning red with emberassment. "Don't worry about it. Your hungry, eat."

The few late nighters had all gone. Agoth looked about the Inn as he walked to the door and threw the bolt. He then walked over to the fire and stoked it up. "Leave the tray when your finished. I'll take care o' it."
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Location: One step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break!

Postby Durins_Day » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:09 pm

Eleanor sat back in chair and sighed. It had been a long time she'd had anyhing but mutton and half-moldy bread, the change was a welcome relief. The man named Agoth had gone a while ago but somehow the empty inn still retained its character. It would be nice to settle down for a couple of days and put some food inside her before moving on again. After all, she wasn't exactly in a hurry.
"Interesting place." she muttered to herself taking a sip of her ale.

In response a sharp twang sounded from a corner of the inn.

Eleanor sat up quickly and felt her head spin, "Whose there?" she called trying not to sound as tired as she felt. No sound came from the inn. So she stood up and peered around the room.

'Nothing there' she thought, 'It's just the wind.' So she sat down and finished off her ale. Picking up her key she peered at the number that said 97.

"Ninety-seven! That can't be right."

This time a couple of twangs sounded, coming from a corner in the inn. Feeling parinoid Eleanor crept to the corner of the inn but only found a harp sitting on a self. After a few minutes of inspection she found nothing else of interest.

"Wow. I thought it would take me much longer to go crazy." she announced to the empty room.

A series of what could only be called notes responded.

She swung around to stare at the harp, "You!" she pointed at it rudely. But it just sat smugly on its shelf. Giving the harp one final glare Eleanor decided it was time for bed if she was yelling at inanimate objects. So she trudged up the stairs, found her room after some difficulty and dropped onto the bed as if dead until the morning.
Last edited by Durins_Day on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Durins_Day
Shield Bearer

Postby SmogsFlame » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:52 pm

As soon as Eleanor had left the room Agoth turned to the dark corner where the twanging noise had come from. "You know you didn't have to do that Agarak." The dragon harp gave a question chirp. "You know very well. She was already about to drop from traveling, then you go and make her think she's mad."

The dragon harp made an indignant 'thwung'. Agoth laughed. "Of course she didn't know were just saying 'Hello'." He didn't know how he was able to understand what the dragon harp said. For all Agoth knew it might have had something to to with prolonged exposure to the harp. Agoth didn't know. But what he did know was that for the last two months or so, it was like the string noises had linked themselves to words all on their own.

The harp struck a string of cords in rapid sequence. Agothien laughed again. "No I don't think she is an uncivilized tramp for not knowing your harp language, or whatever it is you call your speech. Remember I didn't either when you first started talking to me. Just give her time."

Agoth got up and took Eleanor's tray to the kitchen. He set it down on the counter, and poured another mug of ale. This he took back out to the main room and set it in front of the harp, who made his pleasure known.

Agoth smiled at the harp. "Your welcome Agarak. Good night. I'll see you bright and early in the morning."
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Durins_Day » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:46 am

The sun rose over the idyllic place that the Lucky Fourtune Inn occupied, spreading light over the hilsides as animals began to wake. Unfourtunately for a girl inside the inn one of those animals was a rooster who like to sit outside the particular window her room was next to.

With it's first call of the morning the girl in question woke with a start, banging her head on the headboard."Argh! Bloody stupid bird." she muttered as she gingerly rubbed her head.

Eleanor contemplated shoving the bird off the roof but decided against it. As the other birds in the area began talking to each other Eleanor knew she would never be able to sleep through the chatter and resignedly got up.

Finding her way back to the tavern wasn't nearly as difficult as the night before and she was soon walking down the stairs to the main room. It was empty as the night before though the door was open and she could smell food cooking in the back.
After taking a seat at a bar stool Eleanor chanced a glance at the corner where the harp was. There it was sitting, same as the night before, except that it had an empty tankard of ale in front of it. 'No....not possible.' she thought.

A stout Hobbit then bounced cheerfully into the room, scooping up the tankard and turning to look at Eleanor in one smooth movement.

"Hullo!" he called, "Here's a new face I haven't seen before! I be Willum, staff of this here inn. Who might ye be and what can I get for ye?"

Due to the early hour Willum's cheerfulness caught Eleanor off balance, but she tried her best for a cheerful response, "I'm Eleanor, just got in last night." she sniffed the air, "And if it's food you're offering me, I'll have whatever smells so good."

Willum gave a quick bow with a grin and exited into the back. Before Eleanor had time to sit back and relax he was back with a tray, "Bacon, eggs, toast and coffee for the miss." he said putting it in front of her.

Eleanor's eyes widened, "It looks delicious!" she then proceeded to devour it.

"Slow down! It's not going to run away." Willum chuckled, "What brings you around to these parts missus?"

"Eh?" she said pausing, "Oh, just travelling. I take jobs wherever I can get em'." Eleanor considered the Hobbit, "Speaking of which," she gave what she thought was her most winning smile, "I could definitely use a temporary posistion..."
Last edited by Durins_Day on Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Durins_Day
Shield Bearer

Postby SmogsFlame » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:38 pm

Willum considered her a moment. "Aye we have a spot for ya. We've not got a maid. As a maid you'd be helping me in the kitchen, making the beds, cleaning rooms, serving guests (not very many of those since the Lady Heather left us back afore Christmas), and helping me or Agoth as need be. You interested?"

Eleanor nodded. "Good! Good then!" Willum said smiling as he trudged into the kitchen.

~~

Agothien awoke surprisingly early considering how late he went to bed. He swung his legs over the edge of the bed and pulled on his boots, then grabbing a shirt walked out of the room closing the door behind himself.

As he walked down the hall he knocked softly on Borin's door. A loud snor was the only reply he got. Smiling to himself Agoth hopped quietly down the stairs.

When he had gotten down to the main room he found Eleanor already there munching a tasty looking breakfast. "Good morning! Didn't expect to see you up so early." He said to her on his way to the fire place. She mumbled something that Agoth could understand and went on eating.

"She's goin to be a gettin up early for a while now." Willum shouted from the kitchen. "She's goin to work here for a while, temporary like."

"I don't suppose you have any more of that tasty lookin breakfast for me have you Willum?" Agoth asked throwing on several logs on the burned down fire.

"Ah. Ye know I do. Is Borin coming down?

Agoth laughed. "Nah I don't think so. That old dwarf is up there in his room snoring the day away." Agoth finished with the fire and walked over to the bar, pulling his shirt on as he went. By the time he had gotten there, there was already a tray of food provided by Willum.

"Thank ye Willum." Agoth said before chowing down.

Willum turned to leave but stopped halfway. "Don't forget about that leak in the stable roof. Theres one in the kitchen corner too that needs fixin."

Agothien nodded. "After breakfast I'll take the cart and go pick up some shingles. An if ya don't mind I'll take our new help with me. There be a couple rooms that be needing new sheets and such."

Willum shook his head and walked back into the kitchen. "Don't take to long though. There'll be a people coming for lunch no doubt, an I'll need her help."

Agoth finished his breakfast, taking his time. Then finishing his coffee turned to Eleanor. "You be 'bout ready to go?"
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Aerin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:52 pm

The elf rides into the clearing and dismounts, leading her horse into the neary stables and seeing to the animal's needs before slowly pushing the front door open.

From the empty stables she knows the place is deserted, but she still wrinkles her nose at the mess inside - it looks as if a tumultuous fight had taken place; chairs are overturned, a table is broken, and there are empty bottles and flasks everywhere. The entire place is covered with a thick layer of dust.

Aerin picks her way through the mess and heads up a stairway in the back, disappearing into the room she shares with her husband Erinhue. She quickly changes into an old blue dress and braids her long black hair, pinning it up out of the way. Returning to the common area, she grimaces slightly, then begins stacking bottles and mugs for washing.
Aerin
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:21 pm

Resting in the heat of the afternoon, Vana walks finding herself in a meadow. Slowly she strolls over and sits next to the pool of water beneath the waterfall. Removing her shoes, she dangles her feet in the cool waters and starts remembering the days of years gone by and the many happy visits she made here when the meadow was first discovered. Tilting her head back and letting the rays of the sun shine upon her face and golden waves of hair, she listens to the birds and creatures of the meadow as they go about their summer day. The flowers in full bloom, the bees buzy flitting about and the birds singing to their mates and families.

A faint sound of clanking bottles comes softly upon the breeze from down the hill and somewhere out of site. Vana looks over her shoulder and turns her head in that direction letting her astute hearing lock in onto the sounds. Yes, it sounds so familiar. The sounds of a place from her past that she has not been to in many a long time.

With the grace of the elves, she stands to walk in the direction of the sound when suddenly a gentle and familiar humming can be heard on the wind. Could her ears be deceiving her or was that a friendly sound?

Slowly she heads down the path that is grown over with brambles and weeds as if nature were trying to take back her own. Her bare feet padding upon the trail as she steps carefully around the obstacles along the way.

Finally pushing a large over grown bush to one side she spies what she expected to see. There, sitting in relative obscurity and desolation, stands a once proud and busy establishment looking worn and ill kept. The Lucky Fortune Inn, owned by one Lord Erinhue and his lovely lady Aerin. Friends from years gone by but long since gone from this place.

The sound of the humming returns as the door opens and a woman, in a simple blue frock appears, shaking out a rug.

"Bless my eyes?" Vana exclaims, "Is that you Aerin?" The look of surprise on Aerins face and then the realization of whom is speaking to her settles in.

Both of the ladies smile and giggle as they embrace as sisters of a common cause. Tears flowing, not for sorrow but for great joy, at being reunited here at the first place they ever met.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Aerin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Aerin had finished stacking the dishes for washing and decided to shake out the main rug next, as it looked terrible and made her track dust and dirt all over the floor. She dragged it outside and threw it over an old wooden frame, then began beating it with what looked like a badminton racket.

"Bless my eyes! Is that you, Aerin?" Suddenly a very familiar voice rang out in happy disbelief, and the elf looked up to see her old friend Vana running towards her.

"Vana dear! Oh, it's been ages, we've both been away too long..." The womens' words were swallowed up by the happy tears that flowed freely from their eyes as they embraced.

Finally Aerin stood back, clasping Vana's arms as she looked her friend over, and giggled.
"I'm sorry, I just made your dress a whole lot dirtier... thought it looks like an older one anyway, so probably no harm done.

"How in all the world did you manage to come here so soon after I did, then?"
Aerin
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:56 pm

Standing at arms length from Aerin and looking down at her dress now covered in a film of dust from Aerins cleaning efforts. Vana starts dusting off the dress that she is wearing.

"Well, I just happen to be passing by in the meadow back there behind the Inn and I heard some noises coming from here. Then I heard your humming and knew that I had to come and see for myself that someone was here again." Vana smiled. "But since my dress is already dusty, can I help you get things straightened up or finish with whatever it is you are doing?"

"Well of course, any help I can get will be most appreciated. And to have a good friend here to visit with will make the job so much quicker!" Aerin stated with great joy and relief in her voice. "I have so much to do and the more hands to do it the faster it will go."

"Then I am yours for as long as you need me!" Vana pushed her hair back and bound it with a ribbon from the lace at her sleeve and tucked the edge of her overskirt into her waistband so that she wouldnt trip over it. "So where do we begin?"

"While I finish with this rug you can start some dishwater heating on the stove."

"Done!" Vana almost sang out as she darted off to the kitchen and the chore of the dishes.

Soon humming could be heard not only from the yard where Aerin was beating the rug but also from the kitchen where Vana was sweeping while she waited for the water to boil for the dishes.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Claymore » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:23 pm

Softly the door of the Lucky Inn swung open. It was raining outside and the wind could be heard howling.
The interior was dim as most of the customers had gone to bed at this hour.
Two shadows slipped in, one on two legs and one on four.
The shadow on two legs swept back the hood who had been obscuring his face and shook his head like a dog, sending droplets flying everywhere. The moonlight falling through one of the windows revealed a young elf with short raven-black hair, a nut coloured skin and brilliant green eyes. He was wearing well-made but worn traveling clothes, and a slim sword and a dagger hung from his belt. His boots were caked with mud and made a sopping sound.
-Brrrr! What an awful frog-weather, isn't it Antaka?
The white she-wolf looked up when she heard her name mentioned.
She gave a short yip.
-I totally agree with you my lady. Let's try to find a nice little corner to sleep. I guess the owners of this inn don't want to be waken up at this hour so we will satisfy ourselves with a table to sleep under. We have slept in worse circumstances, haven't we?
Antaka yipped again.
The young elf crawled under a table, made a soft nest with his cloak and pulled the white wolf close to him as if she was a blanket.
'I just hope the owners won't think we are robbers when they discover us tomorrow,' he murmured sleepily.
A few minutes later only the soft breathing of elf and wolf could be heard in the inn.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby SmogsFlame » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:50 pm

The shopping had gone well enough. But then again girls always did better at that kind of thing then men. Agothdín thought to himself. Eleanor laughed at his distraught look as she sat beside him on the buckboard.

"What?!" Agothdin said looking over at her.

"Oh nothing." She replied smugly.

The ride back to the Inn went without incident but when he got there he found that someone else was there too. "Now I wonder who that could be?"

He was seriously starting to hope that Master Erinhue or Lady Heather would come back to relieve him. "We shall see." He muttered as they pulled up in front of the Inn.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby celebalqua » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:20 pm

The mid day sun was warm on his back and the old man’s stiff joints loosened with its warmth. Slowly he followed the road as it wound through the grass field and over the last rise, his shuffling gait creating a small dust storm at his feet. The land was dry, the seasonal rains were late and all who tilled the land knew that if this dry lasted much longer the winter crop might fail.

‘The land is not the only thing that’s dry’ thought Cam, his throat was parched and the load he now carried seemed to suck all his strength.
As he came to the top of the hill he surveyed the small crop of buildings and trees below. Lucky Fortune Inn was a familiar and welcoming sight. Almost every day he had made this pilgrimage from his farm on the other side of the valley, to eat, drink and enjoy the company of friends old and new. The events that unfolded before him in his usual spot in the corner near the fire were often extraordinary, but he had lived through an extraordinary time, Middle Earth had changed greatly with the war.

But evil still reared its ugly head; the load he now carried was proof of that. He just hoped that one of the fair folk who often visited the inn would know what to do with it, because he certainly didn’t. As Cam came within ear shot he could hear the familiar ruminations of preparations for the lunch crowd. He wasn’t usually here this early, his chores usually kept him busy ‘til the sun set, but with his discovery he needed advise and hopefully someone to take the thing.
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby celebalqua » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Cam pushed through the door load first. The place seemed freshly scoured and was almost recognisable from the state it had been in last night. There had been a bit of a balmy. Nothing to serious, just a couple of friends getting a bit too merry and disagreeing on whose shout it was. Agoth, that young man from Rohan and the lad Willum had been quick to disperse the crowd after that. Cam, being woken from his usual snoozing in the corner, had left then, though it was still relatively early, but his body had ached from a hard days labour and he didn’t have the sticking power nor the will to hang around til closing these days.
A sharp twang came from the shelf on his left, where the dragon harp Agarak rested. Cam frowned at the instrument, he didn't much take to magic, but this greeting disturbed him. Others in the room looked up at the sound and to his surprise, and relief, he saw not one but two of the fair folk, both of whom had been long missed in the Inn.
“Hail Aerin, hail Vana, it has been too long” called Cam as he approached the two women.
Last edited by celebalqua on Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Claymore » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:41 am

The young elf woke up with a start and bumped his head against the table. A soft hiss of pain escaped through his clenched teeth.
-Achhhh my HEAD!
He rubbed the painful spot and pushed away the white wolf who was now lying on his legs.
-Wake up you lazy white furball.
The she-wolf didn't wake up however and started scratching the elf's leg as she pursued some tasty prey in her dreams. He pulled back his legs with a yelp and banged his head again.
-Oromë's howling horn! Next time I sleep under a table I'll look for one who was made for giants!
Suddenly he realized he wasn't the only one in the room.
An old man and two women of his own kin were looking at him.
-Well,well. And who might you be young one?
The elf quickly crawled from under the table.
- Are you the owners of this inn? I hope you don't mind I sneaked in without permission last night. It was such bad weather and I was dearly in need of a dry shelter. It was late when I arrived and I didn't want to wake you up. It seemed you already had had a busy night.
The woman who had questioned him laughed.
-Easy boy we're not going to eat you. We already suspected you had a good reason to sneak in like that. That's why Agoth let you sleep.
-Who's Agoth?
A Rohirrim came out of the kitchen together with delicious smells.
-That would be me. But tell me, who are you? I've been wondering since I found you this morning.
-Oh excuse me I forgot to present myself. I'm Morwë but most people call me Hawk, don't ask me why.That bunch of fur there is called Antaka
-And what are you doing here Hawk?
-Oh I'm just traveling around, seeing a bit of the world although sometimes I stay a bit longer in one place. I think this is one of such places. It seems to me that you might need a bit of help.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby SmogsFlame » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:35 am

Agothdín thought for a moment. "Aye we could use a stablehand. It's poor honest work. But we need a man who knows how to care for beasts, you being one of the fair folk and all. I should think you'd know how to do that better then anyone."

Morwë seemed to consider that for a moment before Agoth moved on. "But for right now I spose you'll be wanting some breakfast. Willum will be out in a moment with your tray. Just take a seat, anywhere." Agoth turned to leave but then remembered something. "Oh and he'll have a couple bowls for the 'white furball' " Agothdin laughed.

The door to the Inn opened and Cam came walking in, backwards, "How odd." Thought Agoth. "And what a strange load."

But Cam walked up to Ladies Aerin, and Vana so Agothdín made a mental note to ask him about it when his conversation was over.

About that time Willum came out of the kitchen carrying a large tray laden with all sorts of food, and set it down in front of Morwë. "When you're finished with your breakfast I'll take you out to the stable's and show you about if you want."
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Claymore » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:06 pm

Hawk eyed the tray with astonishment.
-Aulë's beard, I am not that big Willum! That's enough for three breakfasts!
-You need some meat on those bones.
Willum poked in Morwë's ribs with a little stubby finger.
-Your a bit too skinny. Working the stables is tiring work, boy.
Morwë laughed.
-Don't worry about that. I once spent three weeks in the mountains with nothing to eat but what I and Antaka could hunt. Hunger made us fairly good hunters.
He gave another short laugh that almost sounded like a bark. After that he attacked the tray with a voracity that belied his earlier words. Antaka who had woken up when she smelt the food attacked the contents of her bowl with as much as not more enthusiasm as her two-legged companion. Occasionally Hawk would toss a piece of beacon in the air and the she-wolf would jump and catch the beacon adroitly before it hit the ground. After she had quickly emptied her bowl she ventured out to see if Morwë hadn't let anything else drop from his plate. Hawk chuckled.
-I'm afraid you already have eaten anything I might have let fall, bottomless pit. But don't fear, I'll give you my leftovers.
Morwë looked over to Willum.
-You don't mind that she licks up the leftovers, do you?
Willum took a look at Antaka's empty bowl.
-If she licks your plate as thoroughly as she did her bowl, I don't mind at all. It will make it easier for me to clean it up later.
Morwë grinned. True to his word he gave the white wolf his leftovers after he had finished eating. Antaka licked them up as quickly as if she hadn't already eaten a bowl full of food.
-I'm ready. Let's see what your stable looks like. Antaka stay here, I don't think the horses will like it to have you around. I guess you have a bit too much teeth to reassure them.
' Won't she see the horses as food and attack them?'Agoth suddenly asked worriedly.
-No, I've adopted her as a pup, she grew up among horses and she knows that they aren't for eating. The horses don't know that though. They might panic when they smell her. We don't want to have a stampede right now, do we?
Willum led the young elf to the stables. He showed Morwë where the brushes were and where he could find hay and oats for the horses. Hawk checked the quality of some. He frowned when he inspected the last bag.
'The person who sold you those oats, cheated you, ' he said to Willum.
-What's wrong with them?
Hawk took a handful and showed them the the hobbit.
'See that?'he asked as he spread the grains on his hand.
-That's sand, if the horses eat those they will get colics. I don't think that's the right way to keep the customers happy.
Hawk quickly checked the other bags to see how many were partly filled with sand.
- At least only three of the bags are of bad quality. Do you know who sold those oats to you?
-No it was Agoth who did the shopping last time.
- I'll ask him later then. I must say that except those bad oats you keep a nice stable. Dry, not too draughty and I haven't heard much mouses. Your cat seems to be doing a good job. I just hope the cat won't be too much startled when he will find himself nose to nose with Antaka.
He laughed again that strange barking laugh.
-Let's get in again. I would like to clean myself up. My clothes are still rather travel-stained
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:50 pm

Vana smiled at all the commotion and the many guests who had found their way to the Inn. It seemed like it had come back to life as it once had been many years back.

Aerin was again working the kitchen, helping tend bar and renting rooms to the many who came in. So Vana made herself busy with tending tables and greeting new faces.

One not so new was Cam who when he came in shouted out a greeting to Aerin and herself. It is nice to be home again she thought to herself as she laughed at Agarak's singing tunes out. Just like that old stinker of a harp, she thought.

Vana nodded to Cam and then brought him a drink.

"How have you been Cam?" She smiled as she set the drink before him.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby celebalqua » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:57 am

Cam grinned as he accepted the proffered drink.

“Many thanks my Lady Vana, I have a thirst big enough to fill a dam. If only the dams were full.” Cam began addressing Vana’s question. “I am well enough, the rains are late and the ground is parched, a wild wind blows in the evenings but it brings nothing but dust. I was up in the hills at the back of our farm, where the old troll lived many years past. I was digging out the spring so that its feeble trickle could make its way down to my herd. I had not been there for many years, I don’t think I have ever known of any of my family having to dig out the spring. It is little wonder that I uncovered something from a past age.’

As he said this, Cam opened up his load to reveal three objects. All were crusted in dried clay which made it difficult to determine exactly what they were. As the objects tumbled onto the table Agarak gave another twang, this one sounded decidedly like a protest.

“Calm yourself” Aerin called to the harp turning her attention to Cam and his load.

“They are all made from metal of some kind, but I have not looked too closely. This one” said Cam indicating what appeared to be a small sphere no bigger than an orange, “This one has markings that I do not know, but they are of evil I am sure”.

Cam turned a stern face to the women; the lines from many years labor in the sun had made deep valleys through his brow.

“Since I have had these things in my possession, my sleep has been fitful and full of dark visions, the grass were they lay on the day that I found them has shrivelled and died and any living thing that is near turns and flees. It took them back to place where I found them and tried to bury them, but the dirt would not fall on them, as if the earth itself was unwilling to take them back!

“I do not generally care for the likes of magic in this world. I live a simple life, I take from the land what I need and I give back what I can, but these things are disturbing the balance and I do not want to be a part of their will”. With an expectant look Cam pushed the objects toward Aerin and Vana.
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Claymore » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Vana and Aerin were quietly discussing the strange objects before them, when Hawk entered, his hair still wet from the bucketful of water he had thrown over his head. Antaka followed him closely.
'What's going on?' he asked, eyeing the three artifracts curiously.
'Cam,' Vana said, nodding to the old man.' Found these strange things on his lands. He has a bad feeling about them. I can only agree with him.'
'May I take a look at them?' Morwe asked.
-Sure, any information is welcome.
Hawk took the sphere in his hand, but he let it fall almost immediately, hissing like an angry cat.
-What's the matter?
'When I touched that cursed thing.' Hawk spat.' I felt something I've felt but once before in my life. It was in Rhun about two years ago.'
-Can you explain when you felt it exactly?
-If you wish. At that time I was travelling through a rather inhabitated region east of the Sea of Rhun. I was wondering why there were so few people living here because the land was very fertile. I asked one of the few brave souls living there and he told me that people stayed away because of a haunted tower that was standing on a hill there. I was curious and I decided to pay that tower a visit. As soon as I came in I felt my hair stand on end. There was feeling of old evil in that tower. It was not as powerful as it once had been but was still strong. I did not stay long. It made me feel dirty to be there. I had the same feeling as I have now when I touch that thing. Later I inquired about that tower and I found out that it had once been the tower of Khamul the Easterling, the Witch-King's second-in-command.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Vana first response would normally have been to pick up and examine the objects, but she could sense some evil emanating from the stones.

She almost jumped when Hawk picked them up and turned them over in his hands.

He didnt seem to find anything that gave any clues as to where or who would have created such objects.

Another customer across the room needed some service so Vana left the little gathering and went back to work.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Aerin » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:03 pm

Aerin watched the reactions of her friends to Cam's mysterious objects in silence. After Hawk dropped the sphere, the elf slowly reached for it; balancing it in her palm at first, she quickly changed to cupping it with her fingers.

She half-closed her eyes, lidding her sight as she went inward to probe it with the limited power she had. There was a definite sense of malevolence about the object, but nothing she could pin down in any way. There was a faint hint of familiarity about it, however.

Aerin took a deep breath and opened her eyes, still silent, to study the dirt-encrusted sphere. Frowning slightly, she pushed a lock of hair back and bent to peer closely at what seemed to be markings or engravings on the surface. Rubbing at the dirt with her finger produced no effect, so she picked up a table knife and gently scraped at the clay instead. A small piece of dried clay fell off, revealing a section of engraving that appeared to include a jagged mountain and a peculiarly-shaped spiral.

The elf's frown intensified as she studied the carved symbols. There was something about them...

Remembering, her eyes widened in horror and she slammed the sphere back onto the table. Her body shook and she hurriedly washed her hands in the sink at the bar, scrubbing the feel of the sphere from her skin. She poured herself a mug of ale and tossed half of it back at once, shaking her head, before rejoining the group at the table, who were looking at her strangely.

"I..." her throat rasped from the ale and she cleared it before continuing. "I've seen these symbols, or very like to them, before. It was many, many years ago, in lands far to the East, in the caves of the great vampire herself... Thuringwethil."
Aerin
Mariner

Postby celebalqua » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:06 pm

Cam gave a slight bow as a third Elven friend came to study the artefacts. He was not surprised when he released the ball almost instantly. Aerin approached it with more caution, she held it for a time before scrutinizing the markings closely.

"I've seen these symbols, or very like to them, before. It was many, many years ago, in lands far to the East, in the caves of the great vampire herself... Thuringwethil."

“Thuringwethil.......vampire” Cam repeated in a whisper, “But what does this mean? Surely this vampire is long gone from these lands.”

“Indeed Camden son of Keldír, the Woman of Secret Shadow past to dust long ago but the evil she harboured lingers still in these” said Aerin with gesture to the objects.

Cam stood straighter when the elf used his full title, he nodded his understanding but this did not settle his mind.

“What are we to do with these things then, as I said I cannot return them to the place I found them, they will not be reburied!”
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby SmogsFlame » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Agothdín had come in part way through the conversation. Right after Morwe had picked the sphere up. But he had been quite, listening. He, like everyone else, didn't like the sounds of this.

"Let's hide it away for today. We need these gone if we don't want to scare away the customers. Right now I think all our minds are a bit muddled by the discovery of these, things. Lets wait till tonight to decide. After everyone is asleep or gone."

Everyone nodded. Agoth walked over to the table and picked up the items with much disdain, and carried them up to his room and locked them in a drawer. He then put the key under a plank in the floor, before getting his sword and daggers. One dagger on his hip, and one in each boot. His sword he put casually on his back. Out of his way so that he could go about his work, but close enough at hand to get at in an imergancy.

If there was one thing he had learned about evil things, it was that they attracted other evil things and people, and he was determined to be ready for it.

Morwe met him at the bottom of the steps. Agoth walked up to him and wispered. "Keep a sharp eye out on things today. Keep your weapons close but don't be to obvious."

Morwe nodded his understanding before question Agoth about the grain he had most recently bought. Agoth shook his head. "I know. It's happened a couple of times before. The old man I by from is a bit old in the head, he doesn't do it on purpose. I usually go through all the bags before feeding any of the horses. But I just hadn't yet. I thank you for catching that."

Agoth turned to go when a thought struck him. "Since you're in charge of the stables you can buy from whomever you want. Do you think it might be wise to change suppliers."
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Claymore » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Morwë thought about Agoth suggestion.
Finally he said: 'That old man probably needs that money, if we check the bags before buying, I don't think we will have to change.'
After that he picked up his belongings who were still under the table and took a very tall, strangely bent stave together with a full quiver and strange glove. Agoth eyed the stave curiously.
Hawk noticed it and laughed.
-Never seen an unslung recurve bow?
-Oh I've seen them often enough but I've never seen an asymmetrical one.
Morwë gave a rather sad smile.
-An innovation of my father. It requires a different way of drawing it but it has a few advantages over a symmetrical bow. It can be used on horse-back or in a kneeling position and the different way of drawing enables a maximum use of strength.
Hawk quickly strung the strange bow, put on the archerglove and showed to Agoth how to draw it. The way Morwë drew the bow it was almost a ritual. The long end of the bow was almost touching the ceiling now.
-A powerful weapon indeed.
-Yes, whatever attention those cursed objects will attract, I'm ready for them.
He unstrung the bow again and called Antaka. He took her big furry head in his hands and began to scratch her behind her ears.
-Antaka, I want you to stay here. If you hear or smell something strange, growl. Be wary.
The wolf wagged her tail once to show she had understood. She went to a corner of the room and lay down, her golden eyes bright and full of attention. Morwë went to the stables. He put the bow and the quiver on a place where he could easily reach them but he kept the archerglove on his hand. It would be a bit awkward to work but he didn't care. He extinguished as much lamps as possible. There would less risks to accidentally knock one over and start a fire in the stables. Hawk began to hone the edge of his sword and dagger.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Claymore » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:43 pm

Antaka stayed the whole day in her corner, watchful, like Head-of-the-Pack had asked her to do.
Nothing happened however and at the end of the day she snoozed off.
It was a foolish thing to do, she should have known that a quiet day didn't mean that it would be a quiet night. But she was young and had never been in such a situation, so she relaxed and slept.
She woke up later that evening with her hackles raised. Something was wrong.
She looked around. Little-One-with-the-Pointy-Ears was still in the kitchen and she saw Tall-One behind the bar. The two Women-with-the-Pointy-Ears were serving the customers and she heard Head-of-the-Pack talking to the horses in the stables. She looked carefully at the customers but she saw nothing strange. Her feeling that something was wrong didn't go away however. She walked around the tables smelling at the customers. Maybe that her nose would tell her things that her eyes couldn't.
-Hey doggie, wanna some meat?
Antaka looked at the man who had said that. He was wearing a hood that was hiding most of his features. Was he talking to her? She was a wolf not a dog. But the meat he was waving at her did look tasty. She would let the insult pass.
She approached the man, her tail wagging. She tried to pry the meat out of the man's fingers but he didn't let it go. Suddenly she realized that the man smelled wrong. He didn't smell like a Round-Ear or like a Point-Ear. He was smelling like something twisted, something unnatural and evil. She backed away, just in time as she saw a knife flash in her direction. She could avoid to be stabbed in the chest but the knife scratched her leg nonetheless and she howled. All the customers turned around to see what was happening. The door that went the stables banged open, and Head-of-the-Pack stepped inside, an arrow nocked to his tall bow.
-Antaka, to me!
'Damn,' the man hissed. 'Time for action boys!'
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby SmogsFlame » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Agothdín, who had been watching the dog make her rounds, wasted no time in springing into action. Instantly almost before any of the men could draw their weapons, his hands had dropped down to his boots to retrieve his daggers.

He flicked both wrists as he popped up from behind the bar, both struck their intended targets. But Agoth never saw, for as soon as they were out of his hands he hooked his hands onto the edge of the bar and hauled himself in a single, agile, leap over the it. Drawing his sword as he landed in a crouch.

Me paused just long enough to count seven men in the group. He saw his daggers in two of the men, and a couple more had arrows sticking out of their bodies. Still it would be a hard battle. But Agoth was suddenly aware of more men getting out of their seats and drawing their weapons. It was now ten, five being wounded but still standing.

But then one of them doubled over, one of them that had a dagger in them, with a very short arrow in his stomache. Willum stepped out of the kitchen, bow in hand, a feather knocked on the string, and a knife in his belt. Agoth also saw the ladies draw their daggers.

"You'll see what happens to people who try to start trouble in this Inn!" He shouted before plunging into the mass of men. The odds would have been interesting, had anyone cared to figure them.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Claymore » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:42 am

As soon as Morwë saw that Antaka was relatively unharmed, he let the string lose. The arrow, shot from such a short distance, punched right through the first man's mailshirt, in his side. He gave a shriek that wasn't entirely human.
An Uruk Half-breed... And not the only one. Hawk thought as he saw some of the other men's faces.
He let a few other arrows fly but soon the room became too crowded with panicked customers who tried to go away, to get a clear shot. He dropped the bow and unsheathed his dagger and sword.
Time for some close combat it seems.
He headed for Agothdin who was already fighting in the middle the throng.
Morwë was quick fighter and usually he had darted in and out of his opponent's reach before they had realized what had been happening. Antaka followed closely, ripping at throats, biting in legs and giving those who where down no chance to get up again.
Hawk quickly reached Agoth and he was now fighting back to back with him. It was a bit awkward at first but they soon figured out how to fight harmoniously together. Agoth had a longer reach than Morwë, and could take care of enemies who were farther away while Hawk would see to it that none of the smaller foes could get to them. But suddenly, Morwë heard a horse whinny soon followed by the smell of burning straw.
-The stables! There are enemies starting a fire in the stables.
Agoth threw a look at Morwë which nearly cost him his head.
-We're nearly finished with those guys here, take Willum with you and go to the stables.
Hawk nodded and fought his way out, slashing and jabbing at opponents as he went.
-Willum come with me!
The hobbit nodded and headed to the stables' door. Morwë picked up his bow again and fitted an arrow to the string before kicking the door open.
The stables were already an inferno. The intruders had set a few bales of straw ablaze and the panicking horses where rearing and kicking against the doors of their boxes. A few men with swords were holding torches near some other bales.
So much for extinguishing as many lamps as possible Hawk thought sourly.
-Willum, open the boxes! We will retrieve the horses later. If they stay here they may die. I'll keep those guys occupied.
He quickly drew his bow and he was able to feather a few before they had localized the place from where the arrows where coming. One of the intruders, a particularly tall and ugly half-breed, smiled when he saw Morwë.
- Little Point-Ear shouldn't meddle with things that doesn't concern him. Where is the sphere?
Last edited by Claymore on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arail Fordorthien » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:27 pm

The evening was steadily growing darker, the sun dipping closer and closer to the western horizon. A hooded rider came riding towards the inn, a tall and slender form atop the prancing, black mare. The air was still, barely a leaf moved on the tall trees. The horse stopped abruptly, its rider drawing back the concealing hood and raising her head in the air, sniffing. ‘Smoke?’ she thought. ‘Something burning?’ At the same time the first distant sounds reached her sensitive ears. Horses shrieking in terror, people yelling, metal ringing against metal with a harsh clang and the roar of a crackling fire. Wasting no more time, she kicked the mare lightly in the sides and rushed of towards the source of the commotion. A braided mass of darkbrown hair streamed behind her back from the speed, but the elf cared naught for it, but instead raised her eyes heavenwards and let out a shrill whistle. Moments later it was answered as a large peregrine falcon swooped down to fly over her head.

The inn came in sight. Flames leaped from the roof of the nearby stable, and she could clearly hear fighting from inside the actual inn. But more pressing matters lay at hand. The horses began running out of the building, nearly trampling the people in front of them, wild with fright for the searing flames. A small hobbit came running out after them, ushering them further away, and she could also spot an ellon inside, obviously hardly pressed by several opponents at once. She only caught a short glimpse of the men around him, but one look was all it took to recognise them.
“Orc breed!” she snarled in distaste. The mare ran right up to the flaming stable, rolling her eyes at the fire but otherwise calm. The elf jumped down from her back and sent the horse of after the others with a light slap to her rear. The falcon circled overhead, letting out a keen, challenging cry to the men.

The woman carelessly tossed of her dark cloak and drew the curved elvensword from her side.
“Yrch!” she yelled, her voice carrying over the din, flames mirrored in her silverblue eyes. The ellon and the perian looked somewhat startled at her sudden appearance, but the assailants merely smiled wickedly.
“So, another pointy-ear come to play? Well, we don’t say no, do we, boys?” It was the tallest, marginally ugliest of the brutes.
“You just try me, yrch.” She answered coldly.
Arail Fordorthien
Shield Bearer

Postby Aerin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 pm

Aerin was busy, chatting with old friends while she served the customers. Somehow people started arriving very shortly after she and Vana had finished cleaning the place up, and the inn was almost full.

There was finally a break in the madness at the bar and she had taken the opportunity to wash a few glasses at the sink, exchanging stories with an older woman she knew vaguely from several years previously.

Suddenly a fight broke out, so quickly she didn't see who or what had started it. Aerin did note, however, that a couple of the participants had an unusual fighting style, and she bared her teeth in a silent snarl as she recognized them as half-orcs. The elf weighed the glass she had been washing - it was a hefty tankard, with a metal rim and handle - and then threw it at one of the half-orcs. It hit his head with a satisfying thud and he dropped, unconscious. One of his companions tripped over his body a minute later.

Aerin hesitated a moment longer, her gaze whipping around the room as she noted who was fighting with whom, and realized the fighting was too close - and there were too many noncombatants around - for her to use her sword, which was under the bar. It was out of the question to try to shout the fight to a halt - too many people were involved, and when orcs, even half-breeds, were added to the mix blood tended to boil. She drew the two daggers on her belt (one at her side, the other at the small of her back) and dashed around the side of the bar, throwing herself into the melee.
Aerin
Mariner

Postby Claymore » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:09 am

Morwë gave the newly arrived elf a somewhat surprised and relieved look. Despite his brave words he had not been entirely sure whether he could have held them. The new elf gave him a slight smile. Hawk nodded and gave her a half-mocking salute back.
We may have some fun yet.
He looked for Willum and Antaka. Willum was fitting an arrow to his small bow from a safe distance, where he wouldn't be in their way and where he had a clear shot on their enemies.
He didn't saw Antaka however. But he didn't have the time to search for her, their new ally was already rushing to their opponents.
Antake is an adult wolf, she can look after herself. You should concentrate on what you're doing.
He dropped his bow , unsheathed his sword and dagger and followed the elfwoman's lead. Their assailants where fast despite their hulking builds and they were stronger than Morwë. He had to use every trick he had learned during his four years of travel.
He disabled his first opponent with a kick to his knee. He heard a wet cracking sound and the man howled like a wounded beast.
Be they Elf, Men, Hobbit, Orc or Half-breed, they all scream when you break their knee-caps. he thought with a grim satisfaction.
His next assailant was warier and more careful. He had seen what Hawk could do and Morwë couldn't find an opening in his defense. He was almost stepping in the fire when he saw Antaka. She was stalking his enemy from behind and was barely visible with her white fur against the white-hot fire.
Good girl
He feinted to the left, giving the she-wolf a perfect opportunity to jump at the half-breed's throat. Understanding his purpose, Antaka launched herself and landed on the half-breed's side, growling and ripping at his neck. The man couldn't resist such a fury and soon he was down too.
Morwë oversaw the stable. The other elf was fighting as fiercely as her falcon and Willum was quietly feathering more men. All the while the fire was spreading.
We're holding them, but if help doesn't come soon we won't be able to save the stables.
Last edited by Claymore on Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome!