A Word Aside: Over The Sea And Beyond The Sky...

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

A Word Aside: Over The Sea And Beyond The Sky...

Postby Zantares » Tue May 09, 2006 12:31 pm

Greetings all.

Im kind of a newbie to this whole RPing thing, well when i say new, i have had one character on TORC, but that was a long time a go. I have written my first post, and i have no idea if it is at an acceptable standard or what have you, so if thre is anyone willing to joing, then you are all quite welcome.

As to the plot, i have no idea where it is heading, or how it happens, so all those who wish to be including in this RP are welcome to add to a plot, or devise a plot that we can all agree on.

Hope to see some extra's here soon

Zan
Zantares
Citizen of Imladris

Postby orliesmyhusband » Tue May 09, 2006 6:38 pm

Hey Zarantes. Im Oricon. As you can see I was an avid poster about a year ago and much of my work was done in The Pony. I havent RPd in a really long time but I would love to start anew and help you construct a story. I have a question however, are you a male or a female and what race are you etc.

My character is obviously a Mirkwood elf, female, named Oricon. I have some telepathic powers but usually only in bursts and usually not of my will. Of course I am in tune with the forest and animals. lol this is sad but Im going to have to look up the rest of my bio... its been that long :roll:

Oricon
orliesmyhusband
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Wed May 10, 2006 1:47 am

I, too, am interested. Here's my character for aproval:

Name: Squirrel

Race: mostly Human

Homeland: Nomadic

History: Squirrel comes from a tribe of nomads who, over the last few centuries, has wandered all over the continent. The tribe, called the Pynta, is creatively pragmatic, taking bits of practices from all over and incorporating them into their own survival. They do not believe in unnecessary customs, or chivalry. They have no real marriage laws, because of a limited gene pool. They encourage breeding outside of the tribe, and their people are a hodgepodge of different races mixed in with human. Squirrel believes that as long as she and her “pack” have a pulse, it’s a good day.

Five years ago, her tribe was attacked and outnumbered by orcs. The usual practice is to split up into several smaller groups and scatter. Squirrel was in charge of a pack that didn’t get away. She was knocked out and buried under a dead orc, waking up to be the only survivor. To this day, she doesn’t know if any of her tribe is alive.

Appearance: The first thing you notice about Squirrel is her height, or lack thereof. She’s too wide to be called “petite,” but all that width is toned and muscled curves. The next thing you’ll notice is her clothing. She likes the color black, and dark earth tones that are almost black. The styles are outlandish, made of bits and pieces that were available at the time needed, but seem to fit her. She’s fair-skinned, with blue eyes. Her hair is that odd shade of brown that slips to blonde and red depending on the angle of the light. It’s cut short to the point of looking masculine, and the curls in it leave it wild and untamable. She’s not really unattractive, but she’s too bizarre to be beautiful.

Her ears are pierced several times from the lobe to the curve in the top, with the bottom holes distended almost large enough to fit a coin in and various odd dangles and chains looping the rest together. The outer points of her eyebrows have three silver (all of her jewelry is silver metal and non- precious natural accents) hoops apiece, and a simple ball stud in the right side of her nose. They do not look like disfigurements on her as much as they do additions.

Watch her for a moment, and you know that this is a woman who knows how to care for herself. She has no need for the customs of traditional Middle Earth. On the contrary, you know that to try to force her to fit those customs would be like trying to teach a dragon to sing in a birdcage. Squirrel carries herself with the full confidence that she can deal with whatever hits her.

Weapons: Several daggers hidden here and there around her body

Powers: Nothing special in the magical department. She’s incredibly creative, unorthodox to the point of seeming mad, and intelligent. She speaks most languages, and has, quite literally, no shame.
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Zantares » Wed May 10, 2006 8:55 am

Well as to both of you, welcome and I’m a glad of a few extras to RP with. As to oricon, I remember RPing with you as Tanhirion, and again that was a long time ago, like 3 years ago, but I recognise the name, and as to you squirrel, I always like to meet new faces and again to both, your characters are fine, and would be much appreciated.

As for myself, here is my bio, though most of it, is thought up on the spot.

Name: Zantares Alosen

Race: Elf

Homeland: Returned from the Grey Havens

Favoured weapon: single long sword, however the grip is long enough to be held with two hands

History: Zan was a member of the army led by Gil Galad against the forces of evil along with the last alliance, and proved himself may times under his banner. However when Gil Galad fell, Zan returned to the household of Elrond, to be welcomed back with open arms

There he dwelt for a while, until he left with many of Elrond's house to take the ship to the Grey Haven’s. However on the dockside, he found his father, and there he was gifted his sword, which is his only possession and weapon along with a few words, before his father died. He left for the Grey Havens with a heavy heart.

After living in the Grey Havens for a time, he realised he misses much about Middle Earth, and then sought a ship to return him there to finish some business.

Other from that, he has no memory of his childhood, and the time leading up to him fighting alongside the likes of Gil Galad.

Any other questions are welcome

As to the plot of this Rp, I have no ideas, so any comments and other ideas will be welcomed

Nice to see you all

Zan
Zantares
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Zantares » Wed May 10, 2006 9:37 am

One more thing, if you ever feel the need to chnage the direction in which the plot is heading, then feel free to do so, justy so long as the chance is easy to follw, and dont hesitate to start posting as i havent approved you character bio, im sure they are as lovely as the are, so there you go

Sorry, i didnt think about editing the previous posts

:bang:
Zantares
Citizen of Imladris

Postby orliesmyhusband » Wed May 10, 2006 7:27 pm

lol I feel dumb that I cant remember much about my character that I was so into :roll: but yes I plan on posting soon. Hi squirrel nice to meet you! lol that sounds funny... :P

Edit: holy crap I was going back and lookin at old threads of mine trying to recall some of my past I.E. Fayciel and Caiolita... and I found a thread where you and me posted Zan!!! HOW WEIRD!!

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=90

Ahhh we were children its funny....
orliesmyhusband
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Wed May 10, 2006 7:52 pm

Tee hee. In reality I'm the Squirrel because I'm Squirrely. :lol:
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Zantares » Thu May 11, 2006 10:13 am

Well at least you remember me!

Now that we are all acquainted, let us discuss in which direction the plot is going, as I am currently lost for ideas, and I don’t know if you have any idea, but it would nice to have a long plot that we can keep going. Also, another thing I was pondering, how would we entice other to come and join our RP, so we have a full range of characters?

All these questions make me seem like a complete monkey and not very smart (though I aren’t, if you get to know me), but anyway, at least we have those of experience in our RP

Keep posting

Zan
Zantares
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Zantares » Thu May 11, 2006 11:18 am

One more thing, if you know of any who are looking to join a new RP from the beginning, then by all means welcome them along or point them in this direction.

Zan

Forgot to edit

Zantares
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu May 11, 2006 3:31 pm

Ok, I am currently sitting in the Seattle airport marveling at my good fortune to have internet once again after three months of more or less cloisterdness as my strict Christain school. Lets just say that the google page never looked so good.

Anyway, I was thinking I might join you guys if you have room for another. I'm afraid I'm looking forward to a flight so I might not be able to post a bio up before I fly the rest of the way home, but I'll try to get one up for your approcal should I not find one that I have already written to my approval. :)

*sigh* its good to be back!

~Quim
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu May 11, 2006 4:49 pm

Gar, I can't seem to write a good bio without making it a novel in itself so I'm just going to go ahead and post IC and if you don't like it I will humbly remove my post and char, or edit anything you deem nessicary to be edited.

My char is basically a Elf from the far south, so not much is known about here so I'll be developing most of her IC.

~Quim
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby orliesmyhusband » Thu May 11, 2006 5:14 pm

Hey all. No your not stupid Zan... we definately need diversity tho... 3 elves and no males what is UP lol

Quim Im sure youll be a fine addition. You can meet up with me or something before we meet up with the other two beginning with a large swordfight explosion! lol jk

I dunno where to go with plot... we could meetup and I could know a piece about the sword and so could Quim and we could all go to like... the mountains w/ the goblins and what have you... i dunno im just puttin stuff out there... lol

*~Ori~*
orliesmyhusband
Ranger of the North

Postby orliesmyhusband » Thu May 11, 2006 5:19 pm

Weird! I wrote all that before I even read your post or knew you were online! Im posting now!!
orliesmyhusband
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu May 11, 2006 5:54 pm

Nice posting Orlie, thinking like eachothers chars already? that's a bad sign >_^

OH BOY! mountains and goblins and mistical magical swords! *sniff* life is so good.

Ok, I'm going to try and nock out a quick post for you, Orlie, to respond to. I have about twenty minutes before my flight leaves so here are my fingers crossed.

~Quim
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Thu May 11, 2006 6:48 pm

Hello there, I see several elves here as well as someone called Squirrel, My kind do na usually associate with elves but since the war and Cousin Gimli had found such a good friend in an elf, I myself have decided ta give everyone a chance until they do me wrong. I'll not be judgin' anyone 'til I get ta know 'em. A little in the way ta introduce meself.

Me name be Borin Silversmith, I'm a dwarf and as I said earlier my cousin is Gimli of well known fame. I be a bit of a disappointment ta most of my relatives as I decided I'd rather be travelin' and seein' the world instead of doing what I was trained ta do. I'm a Master Silversmith and metal worker. In appearence I'm 5 foot tall, rather stocky in size {but it is muscle not fat} I have reddish brown hair, long and usually held back in a thong, I also have a full beard and moustache. My favorite things are meeting people, sitting by a fire telling tales and smoking me pipe, when I can get me some good pipe weed. I do not enjoy fightin' but I will fight for my friends and to save an innocent. I will not purposefully injure another nor will I allow another to be hurt unrighteously. My weapons of choice be me hand axe and of course me battle axe, although I can use other weapons.

If ye be allowin' a dwarf ta join this fair site I'd be honored. I can not always post as I have some medical problems that require me to be out of touch occasionally but if I'm going to be gone I'll let ye know ahead of time if possible.

Thank ye for your consideration

Borin
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Thu May 11, 2006 11:45 pm

Plot plot plot. . .

Where are we starting from? All I know is a valley. Squirrel's on her way south, but can definitely be persuaded otherwise if a GOOD reason can be found: rumors of wild men, sorcerers out for global domination, a prank or two. . .

She's alone, and kind of bored right now.
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Zantares » Fri May 12, 2006 8:59 am

Of course, all those who wish to join are welcome, and can write themselves in when and where ever convienient.

Just one small not to Oricon. in one your posts you said

"Hey all. No your not stupid Zan... we definately need diversity tho... 3 elves and no males what is UP lol "

And im just wondering if you meant three female elves and no males? If you did or you didnt, i dont mean to cause offence or make u see or feel stupid for you may have realised that, but i am a male elf. Sorry for your disappointment

Zan :P
Zantares
Citizen of Imladris

Postby orliesmyhusband » Fri May 12, 2006 8:34 pm

:oops: ..... Sorry I could have sworn you said she... lol :oops: Im kinda dumb... :P Im a really fast reader so sometimes I have a tendency to skip the most IMPORTANT piece of evidence in the paragraph :roll:

*~Oricon~*
orliesmyhusband
Ranger of the North

Postby Zantares » Tue May 16, 2006 12:58 pm

Hey, dont worry about it Oricon

As to regards to the plot, i had some ideas, but if they are not to everyones liking then please feel free to change them.

One was, as i have a sword which i do not know what the letters on the blade say, and as Squrriel does not know here history, or how here tribe vanished or if there were any other survivors (correct me if i am wrong please), then we could both travel north in search of answers.

Then we could run into Quim and Ori, and then perhaps convince them to join us going north?

Only a thought

Zan
Zantares
Citizen of Imladris

Postby orliesmyhusband » Tue May 16, 2006 4:45 pm

Yea thats good, we'll work out where we can contribute along the way.

*~ Oricon ~*
orliesmyhusband
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Tue May 16, 2006 9:36 pm

I like it. A quest might be a good distraction for Squirrel.

For the sake of reference, what sort of letters make up the sword inscription? Tengwar? Dwarf runes? Egyptian Heiroglyphs? Japanese characters? If you can link the letters to he rest of the continent, perhaps far enough east or south to be off of the traditional Middle Earth map, It could take the story in an interesting direction. Middle Earth is based on Norse legends, we could travel to parts of the world based on other cultures' legends. Tolkien never mentions (that I know of) what the rest of Middle Earth was like. Hmmmm????
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Zantares » Wed May 17, 2006 8:53 am

I hadn't thought about the origin of the letters, though I think they should be runes of some sort, perhaps we could be lead to places around middle earth, and then possibly it could lead us to places outside of middle earth?

Only an idea though

Zan
Zantares
Citizen of Imladris

Postby orliesmyhusband » Wed May 17, 2006 7:11 pm

Sounds good! I always wanted to ride an Oliphaunt :twisted:

O and one thing Squirrel.... are the women you hear me and Alex? And if so are yall in Mirkwood???? I may be missing something, as I often do, but I for some reason thought yall were farther away than that...
*~Ori~*
orliesmyhusband
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Wed May 17, 2006 8:33 pm

All I know is that we're in a cutesey valley. Mirkwood sounds like a good location. Zan, what do you think?
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu May 18, 2006 2:09 pm

That would probably be a good idea. It would deffinitely save me and Orlie the trouble of having our chars ride halfway across Middle earth to find you guys.

Now would be a good time to meet too, we've more or less established that Alex has attached herself to Oricon thinking her more or less like a sister at this point so that will be fun work with I think. Besides just because Alex has discovered that one person in the north isn't some kind of barbarian doesn't mean she doesn't still hold that misconception. hehe :D I can't wait for her to meet more people! ^_^ it could get interesting

Oh and Alex is going to love the idea of going north as that is sort of her general destination anyway.

~Quim
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Zantares » Fri May 19, 2006 8:51 am

So we almost have a plot, and it sounds great, and i do agree with Squirrel and Quim that it would be a good idea to move the valley slightly, as otherwise it would mean a lot of posts just about riding and that would be kinda boring.

Well at least me have all met up, at last

Lets get going

Zan
Zantares
Citizen of Imladris

Postby TheSquirrel » Fri May 19, 2006 11:19 pm

Tally ho!!!!!!
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sat May 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Heheheh, Alex isn't going to make it easy. She's very suspicious of just about everyone she meets right now. Oricon being the exception because she more or less hit the magic button with her little speech about wanting to go out and see the world.

Yes, the story line is coming and we have all met, once we get over Alex's suspicions and if S:Dquirrel shows up, we very well might get out of here! :D

~Quim
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby TheSquirrel » Sun May 21, 2006 6:34 am

S:Dquirrel?
TheSquirrel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sun May 21, 2006 10:43 pm

Sorry! I was typing fast and didn't check it Squirrel. Please forgive me :(

Anywho, as you can tell my now, Alex is moderately skilled with illusion and her bow is enchanted to come to her from a decent distance away when she calls it.

Squirrel, I really don't care how you deal with the illusion. It ought to be pretty convincing but then your char appears to be pretty quick so I leave it up to you.

Orlie, I wrote that your char tried to pacify the situation to a certain extent. I hope you don't mind :P

~Quim
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)