SILENT ALL THESE YEARS; OOC planning thread

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

SILENT ALL THESE YEARS; OOC planning thread

Postby bill_n_sam » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:46 pm

“Calimehtar, son of Narmacil II, helped by a revolt in Rhovanion, avenged his father with a great victory over the Easterlings upon Dagorlad in 1899 (third age)”

So says Appendix A to LOTR

After the Wainriders’ successful conquest of much of what was the south and east of Rhovanion, there were those from Gondor who seemingly were open to doing trade with the interlopers from the east. Unsanctioned by their own King, of course, still they did a brisk business in a sort of black market operation. Goods were taken very quietly out of Gondor, and delivered for a fat profit to the Easterlings. A handful of these black marketeers, though, were acting on the King’s behalf, spying out the enemy’s strengths, and weaknesses, and trying to form a secret line of communication with their enslaved allies. A risky business indeed.

And the Rhovanions who found themselves at the mercy of a cruel and brutal race - what price would they pay to regain their freedom, and the freedom of their country?

War, intrigue, conquest, insurrection, violence, victory and defeat – friendship, loyalty, honor, treachery, betrayal, suffering and hope. Let’s see – what else can we pack into one RPG? Oh yeah, love (if we must) and death. I think that about covers all the bases. Following is a very brief outline of what I’ve been thinking about for this game. If anyone is interested in playing, I am totally open to suggestions/comments/critiques (helpful ones), etc. If you read this and are already wanting to sign on, just give me an idea of who you would like to play. Be creative but within the parameters of the time and setting (so predominantly men/women of Gondor or Rhovanion, and the Wainriders) I’m not asking for a complete character bio yet, as I would like input from all committed players about the storyline before anything is set in stone (and even then it won’t be). And I want to make sure that our story will fit with our cast.

Otherwise, even if you don’t want to join, but if you do have a comment, I’d love to hear it (I think).

OUTLINE: The action will revolve around a trader (or two) from Gondor who is/are loyal to King Calimehtar and who have agreed to go to occupied Rhovanion in the guise of black marketers. Their mission: to contact enslaved locals and try to establish some lines of communications so that a revolt against the Wainriders can be planned in support of Calimehtar’s plans to go to war against them. The trader(s) also are gathering information about the enemy and intend to enlist the help of the slaves for this purpose also. Other traders from Gondor, however, will be very unhappy to learn that their necks are all forfeit if either the King discovers who they are, or the Easterlings get wind of the spies among them. The slaves, on the other hand, have their own agendas. Some are eager to do whatever it takes to throw off their bondage, others are more cautious, fearing their conquerors’ wrath. Still others may see a way to gain their own freedom at the expense of their fellow slaves’ lives.

(Note: when and where the story opens is up to discussion. The traders could already have established this spy ring or they could just be starting. Or it could be really close in time to the actual uprising)

Ultimately I would hope the game gets to the point where the actual battle is taking place and will cover that too.

Characters could be traders from Gondor, both loyal and not so loyal, Rhovanion slaves, both willing to help Calimehtar or not so willing, and Easterlings.

One last point. I am not the most knowledgeable Tolkien scholar so anyone who has a good grasp of Tolkien canon would be more than welcome, even just in the capacity of advisor.

Thanks to all who read this post!
bill_n_sam
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:51 pm

I think this is a really good idea, but there is still hardly a story line. You have a plot, now you need a more organized fashion for this to all take place really.

and as for the slaves, what kind of people are we looking at here? all humans? are there any dwarves? any elves? or do we have our choice as to what and who they are?
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby bill_n_sam » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:22 am

I was holding off on developing a concrete story line until I saw who wanted to join and in what capacity. For example, if there were more people who wanted to have characters that were slaves, we would create the story centered around that point of view. Or if more people would be interested in playing Gondorians, we would concentrate on that. My idea was to develop the story conjointly with the other players. But if that's too nebulous, I can go ahead and plot out the basics on my own.

I would say the slaves would be Rhovanion, the overlords Easterling/wainriders. I guess if someone really wanted to be of another race and could make out a plausible reason for their character being enslaved, during this time period and in this part of ME, then it could work out.

I hope that's helpful.
bill_n_sam
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:25 am

quite honestly, I think you would get more people if you had a more solid story, people do like to have a clear idea of what a story is and where it is going :wink:
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby bill_n_sam » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:32 am

Alrighty then - here's my storyline, which is still flexible, as I don't think an RP should be already totally laid out but should allow for a lot of creativity and expansion by the players.

This story will revolve around a group of slaves living in the eastern part of Rhovanion. The Wainriders have been ensconced there for several decades, and thus some of the Rhovanions were born into slavery. The slaves in this area are frequently kept in slave compounds from which they are taken out into the fields to work. Other slaves belong to certain owners and are kept in separate quarters of farms or in the villages now occupied by the foreigners. This particular group of slaves will be composed of three separate groups – those who are actively plotting whatever they can to end their servitude and drive out the easterlings; those who are too fearful to plot rebellion and counsel the others that they will only bring the wrath of their masters down upon everyone’s head; and a small contingent of those who carry tales to their masters, either openly or in secret, in order to further their own situations, with no regard for the welfare of their fellow slaves.

There has been a steady trade growing with some men of Gondor who have no compunction about dealing with the enemy, as long as it makes them a fat profit. Of course, this group of smugglers/black marketers is careful to keep their identities unknown to the King and his men, who would have their heads if the smugglers were found out. However, unbeknownst to this group, Calimehtar has managed to put in place his own spies, who are in Rhovanion to gather information about the easterlings and also to try to establish contact with the enslaved locals in order to encourage them to start an insurrection at the same time as Calimehtar moves against the Wainriders in open battle, to increase the King’s chances of success.

The setting, to begin with, is a thriving eastern settlement of the Wainriders. There is a slave compound, as well as slaves in various households and businesses (eg traders/smiths/weavers/goldsmiths, etc) some of whom would no doubt be highly skilled artisans/craftsmen themselves (and thus highly valued by their owners). Within the settlement, traders from the south come and go with frequency, although they must take great caution to transport their goods past the borders of Gondor. If/when they discover the King’s man within their little ring, they will not be happy.

As the story progresses, I hope that things will foment and blow and that many of the characters will be swept away, literally, to the plain of Dagorlad, and the battle will be the culmination of the action.
bill_n_sam
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:48 pm

Wow, nonsense, what an awesome RP! :) You’ve done a beautiful job setting this up!

I’d really like to join, but I’m worried I may not have the time to devote to it that it deserves. I had to drop a beloved RP once before for lack of time, and I really don’t want to do that again. :( If you don’t mind, I’ll give it a day or two of thought, and see who else joins in the mean time. I’d also like to see what I can find in my books about this time period, as I don’t remember reading anything about it before. It’s all so intriguing! :D

I’m also uncertain about what kind of character I would choose. The part of a spy would be awesome, but I’m more comfortable writing a woman, and I’m not sure how realistic that would be. What kind of character where you planning on taking, nonsense?
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby elerrina_narloth » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:50 pm

I like it nonsense very good! I think I will join now.....I will try to come up with a bio sometime later today
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby bill_n_sam » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:48 am

Lark - thank you for the encouraging words :) I can completely understand the time constraints, especially in light of all the children, critters and husbands you have to wrangle. (Well, one husband anyway, but they require more wrangling time per capita than children, goats or dormice :P ) I appreciate the fact that at least you will make a considered decision before committing. As you say, it's sad to have to bail from an RP once you get into it. (sometimes it's a relief :roll: but for the sake of arguing one should put some thought into committing before jumping in feet first, we'll say it's sad :D ) In any case, thanks for your interest.

I'm thinking that I will be playing primarily a slave who is one of the really unlucky ones to be kept in the stockade and lives a life about on par with a farm animal. I thought those would be the most desperate to revolt, as they have little to lose and much to gain, compared to the slaves who might be leading a slightly more endurable existence as house servants or skilled laborers.

As for women parts, there could be any number of them. And it would even be interesting if King Calimehtar's "spy" was a woman, say the wife or daughter of one of the traders. It could be a unhappy marriage and she's willing to work against her husband's interests in order to escape the marriage. Or it could simply be that both the man and woman, father and daughter, say, are working for the King and it is left to the woman to try to feel out the slave angle, as maybe she'd have more contact with them, being servants and all.??? And of course there would be female slaves as well. These are just thoughts.

elerrina - That's great! Welcome! I'm glad this looks of interest to you. Take your time thinking about what character you'd like to play and we'll see if I get any other takers for this RP.

I usually can only post from work so if I don't reply to an enquiry over a weekend, don't think I've disappeared.
bill_n_sam
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:57 am

thanks nonsense! ok, I got a bio:

Name- Mirwyn

Sex- Female

Age- 17

Ocupation- Household slave

Race- Rohvannion

Hair- Long, slightly curly, blond

Eyes- soft grey/blue

Other- she is 5'6", 110 pound

History- Her mother was Rohvannion and her father was a horse trainer and very respected, her father died when she was very very young. Mirwyn and her mother lived in Rhovannion together before her mother was killed...Mirwyn has been a slave for about 10 years and is desperate to escape.

Personality- Strong and stubborn. She has a kindly heart. She can fight if given the opportunity, but in her tightly reigned slave life, she never does. Would be quite sweet and joyous if she was not enslaved. She is very clever and sly and can think through and situation. She is very brave, though hides it behind a soft countenance.
Last edited by elerrina_narloth on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby bill_n_sam » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:53 am

elerrina - that looks great! Thanks. Now we just have to convince about ten more people that this is really going to be an awesome RP :P :D
bill_n_sam
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:00 pm

I wouldn't neccesarily say ten......maybe four or five to have a reasonable number....ten would be almost too much in my opinion
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby lark » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:11 pm

All your ideas for female characters are great, nonsense! :) I especially like the unhappy wife one. :wink: :P

I have another question for you, and I understand if you can’t get back to me over the weekend. On my map, it’s hard to tell exactly where Rhovanion is. It looks like it covers most of Mirkwood and into Rohan. Where would this be taking place exactly?

I’m still trying to get the time period straight too. I’ve never been in a pre-War of the Ring RP. I was in one during the War, and several Fourth Age, but that’s about it. :P

Whether I’m able to join this RP or not, I’m really hoping things take off for you here. :) If for some reason it doesn't, I’d like to invite you to join the RP that I help run here at the Pony. It’s In the Diminishing Light of October (Blight of Fangorn) and there’s a link to it in my sig. It’s kind of late, and you’d have a lot of reading to do to catch up, but I think you’re an awesome writer and we’d love to have you there. The Rohan character you wrote about in your writing sample on Third Muster would be perfect for that thread, :) but it’s kind of a dark story, and I don’t know if you would like it or not. Anyway, I just thought I’d mention it in case things don’t pan out here.
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:09 pm

I love what you've proposed here! I think this has the makings of a great RP and I'd be interested in joining. I usually like to use a few characters, both good and bad, so I hope this is okay. I've VERY interested in the spy ring, though an idea has been forming about double agents as well...

Hmm....I'll see what I come up with and run some ideas by you....

BTW, I like the idea of a rather open plot line. I think it allows for the greatest RPing because of the creativity it encourages.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby bill_n_sam » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:32 am

elerrina Yes, it's only wishful thinking on my part to have ten or twelve people to start with :P My experience has been that people have a tendency to drop out over time, so if you start with twelve, you'd be lucky to have six that are very committed players who stick with the game until the end. I could see this particular story taking quite a while to play out, so it would be nice to have five or six really dedicated players. But we will see if we even get enough interest to start it. :)

lark Ah, how quickly you have pierced my flimsy armor :roll: A Tolkien scholar I'm not. And my sense of where Rhovanion lay is murky indeed - generally south of Mirkwood, east of Fangorn (and perhaps east of the Anduin?), north of the Emyn Muil???? Well, that's just a guess. Here are some exerpts from the appendix that sort of describe it a bit:

"The Kings showed them (the Northmen) favor, since they were the nearest in kin of lesser Men to the Dunedain (being for the most part descendants of those peoples from whom the Edain of old had come); and they gave them wide lands beyond Anduin south of Greenwood the great, to be a defense against men of the East. For in the past the attacks of the Easterlings had come mostly over the plain between the inland sea and the Ash Mountians.”

“Minalcar therefore in 1248 led out a great force, and between Rhovanion and the Inland Sea he defeated a large army of the Easterlings and destroyed all their camps and settlements east of the Sea. . . . On his return (he) fortified the west shore of the Anduin as far as the inflow of the Limlight and forbade any stranger to to pass down the River beyond the Emyn Muil. He it was that built the pillars of the Argonath . . . “

“(Viduvagia) called himself King of Rhovanion, and was indeed the most powerful of the Northern princes, though his own realm lay between Greenwood and the River Celduin(the River Running)”

“(the Easterlings) made a sudden assault upon Gondor, and King Narmacil II was slain in battle with them beyond Anduin in 1856. The people of eastern and southern Rhovanion were enslaved; and the frontiers of Gondor were for that time withdrawn to the Anduin and the Emyn Muil.”

"The forefathers of Eorl claimed descent from kings of Rhovanion, whose realm lay beyond Mirkwood before the invasion of the Wainriders . . . In the two thousand five hundred and tenth year of the Third Age a new peril threatened Gondor. A great host of wild men from the Northeast swept over Rhovanion and coming out of the Brown lands crossed the Anduin on rafts."(note: this is long after the time setting for this RPG, but it would appear that for the most part, Rhovanion lay to the east of the Anduin and Mirkwood ???)

I'll try to do some research and get a little more definite. Give me a day or two.

As for the time. I just pulled this setting straight out of that quote in my first post which I read in Appendix A. It was in the part that discussed the Gondorian kings. It falls within the "third great evil" which befell Gondor, that of the invasion from the east of the wainriders. The first, I believe, was the Kin-strife, which was around the 1400s of the Third Age, and the second was the great plague, which was in the 1600s. In the mid-1800's a better equipped group of easterlings pushed westward with some success. It would not be for another 600 years that Eorl would come to the aid of Gondor at the Fields of Celebrant and that "Rohan" would come into being as a "country". I hope that helps some.

Thanks for your invitation. I'll be looking at your RP and see if this one is really going to take off or not. That's part of the problem with trying to role play. If you aren't lucky enough to get in on the ground floor of one, it's usually pretty hard to join in once it's moved along.

Tempest Welcome, and thanks for your interest. Playing more than one character is fine with me. I also find it sometimes easier and more interesting to do that. And a double agent sounds great! I hope you do share your ideas. I think players become more invested in a game if they have a lot of input into how it is going to be played. Otherwise, one might as well just write a novel. For me, the fun of RPing is the interaction, and tossing ideas around, the group effort. And then it's also fun to have a few unknown quantities, and that can be facilitated by using email to develop some of the plot, to keep players guessing and giving them the chance to react creatively to new situations, etc. It would be my hope to do some small amount of planning before the RP actually begins.

To anyone else reading this, please let me know if you have any interest in playing, even if you aren't sure of what type of character you'd like to be.

EDIT: Here is a link to a map of ME showing Rhovanion, as per the Encyclopedia Of Arda:
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp

The various entries I found there say Rhovanion was a wide region of Northwest ME lying between the Misty Mountains and River Celduin (River Running) which arises at Erebor (the Lonely Mountain) and flows SE into the Sea of Rhun. Greenwood was the name of Mirkwood before Sauron inhabited Dol Guldur, which you all probably know already)
bill_n_sam
Shield Bearer

Ooh!

Postby Elfkin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:37 am

Well, I'm afraid no-one could call me a Tolkien scholar, but dang if this rp doesn't look like it's made of awesome. =D So... the guys in Rhovanion are Easterlings, and the slaves/spies/merchants are Gondorian? Do I have that right? And is there a King in Gondor at this point? I can never remember the royal successions of anything. :doh:

But, yesh. I am, how you say?, very very very interested in this rp. ^_^ I have a question (another one!): could my character be a wetnurse to a rich family, but with mixed loyalties, to both the slaves and to the baby? Yay for character conflict and stuff.

I think I should vanish now. School is odd today. It's like a horror movie. But I'll be back. :P
Elfkin
Ranger of the North

Postby Riot » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:25 am

Could be interesting...I'm not sure if I have the time either, but the premise is solid.

Elfkin: YOU LIVE!!!!! Come back to Dwarves! We have a sporran for you!

Riot
Riot
Ranger of the North

Postby bill_n_sam » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:47 am

Elfkin At this point I think you could propose being a two headed troll that babysits the delusional Easterling king and I'd say yes :P :D Not that I'm desperate for players or anything :roll: (j/k)

Actually, Elfkin, that would work very well, as it would be good to have conflicted slaves who don't know where their loyalties (and best interests) lie. (lay? I always get those two mixed up) As for the races involved here, the slaves are Rhovanion, which is a race of men which moved into the area in question(generally, east of the Anduin, east of the Misty mountains, west of the River Running, north of Mordor) from further north (they were the Northmen to the Gondorians). In a way, they are the precursors ultimately to the Rohirrim. The traders and the spy(ies) are Gondorian. The interlopers/invaders are Easterlings. The King of Gondor at the time is Calimehtar.

So, welcome and thanks for your interest. We'll see if we can get a few more players interested so we can start.

Riot Thanks for stopping by. I've been enjoying reading the Dimishing Light of October RP. I love your character. I understand the time issue. Seems there's never enough of it. It's probably a bad time of year to try to start a game too, with the holidays looming ahead. Ah, well . . . :whistle: Just have to be patient and see what develops.

elerrina and Tempest Hang in there and maybe we can get enough players to begin. :)
bill_n_sam
Shield Bearer

Postby Tempest » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 am

Right, I'm still here and still interested. I usually don't post much of a character profile because I like to reveal things as the story progresses, but basically I would like to run the spy ring, with a main male and female character, along with several side characters. One of the characters will be a double agent imbedded in the spy ring, but really working for the Easterlings.

Does this work at all? I'm open to anything!!!
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:33 am

Hmmm... Can I join too?

Once I'm done with my final exams, I should have all the time in the world to join this thread... I have missed writing for a while anyways... (and, I suspect that I have plenty to learn from all else present)

While I'm here, I'll run a random idea by you, for character... I'd like to try my hand at portraying an Easterling noble, probably a young woman, desperate to get herself out of an arranged marriage, and perhaps with sentiments either lying with the slaves or not, as I really haven't decided.
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby Elfkin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:34 am

Bill: Woohoo! I'll get to work on a character sheet. And thanks for the info. :D

Riot: Gasp! A sporran! How can I say no? But does it still bear the fragrant stench of J_F? :P
Elfkin
Ranger of the North

Postby bill_n_sam » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:00 am

What the heck is a sporran? :? :P

Tempest that sounds great. I would think once we know for sure this is a go, all players should post at least a minimal bio so we all know something about the characters. But yes, certainly, keeping a few secrets up your sleeve is fine. Also, email is a good way to perhaps let some players know some things while keeping them under wraps from the others, as needed.

Tobias Welcome! Yes, of course we'd love to have you! And your character sounds good. I believe that in this time period, the Easterlings were still pretty rough and ready people, so their "nobility" would not be very glam. But I like the idea and like you said, this may be a way for the slaves to move their own plots forward. It might be fun to have her very distrustful of them and they of her but each having to use whatever means they have to get what they want. Well, you can decide that as you like. I'll tell you, my slave character is going to be desperate enough to make a deal with just about anyone, the devil included, to gain his freedom. :P

Elfkin Great! You might want to consider having your character working in Tobias' household, if that would work for the two of you. ??? Just a thought.

Here is a link to Wikipedia's entry on easterlings, to give some idea of who they were:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easterlings
bill_n_sam
Shield Bearer

Postby Elfkin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:16 am

It's a little Scottish pocket-on-a-belt... thing. ^^

A servant in a noble household... a noble family... how to fit them together?... :P Hey, Bill I love your idea! Tobias, what d'you think? :D
Elfkin
Ranger of the North

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:18 am

I'm definitely game too!

I think we can definitely work something interesting out here... :D

(and damn I miss RPing)

And hmmm... but not 'glam', you mean more of the hides as clothes kind of thing, I presume, and not so much fabric?
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Charrie sheet

Postby Elfkin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:32 am

Name: Lathwen
Race: Rhovanion
Occupation: Slave. She serves as a maid and wet-nurse, and is also able to act as a midwife if the need arises.

Appearance: Of about average height, with coarse, dark hair drawn back into a bun, and a wide, kind, tired face, thick-lipped and brown-eyed. Her hands are rough and blotchy from all the work she has to do, and her back is rarely unbent. Her skin is quite weathered, though not so much as it would be if she had to work outside, and her body is fairly curvy, though that’s usually hidden under shapeless slaves’ clothes.

Personality: Outwardly quiet and obedient, though she rebels in small ways against her masters, spilling milk and breaking dishes and being slow and just generally trying to make their lives difficult. She doesn’t hate them, but there’s no love lost in that relationship, except for the baby whom she nurses. She wouldn’t raise a hand against him if it would save her life, despite his being part of the family and race that enslaves her and her people. And this presents a problem, as her loyalties mainly lie with the slaves: those struggling on and those trying to escape. She only half-believes they can succeed, though, and knows that by far she isn’t the worst-off of the slaves, so she’s more of a passive supporter, only really sticking her neck out if she’s sure of a venture’s success. She’s not totally prudent, but she’s not about to risk everything on a whim, either. However, she doesn’t always think ahead, and she’s loyal to friends and fairly easy to persuade, so she might go along with a plan for others’ sakes rather than for her own.

History: Not much to tell, to be honest. She’s been a slave all her life, born to parents who were slaves, and growing up around slaves; it’s caused her to become almost apathetic to her situation, as it’s all she’s ever known. She learned various domestic skills – cooking, cleaning, midwifery and so on – partly through training, though mostly through practical application. Apart from that, all there is to be said is that this is the second family she’s served, having been bought by it after her old master died.

Howzat? :D
Elfkin
Ranger of the North

Postby Tempest » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:21 am

All right. Here goes:

Main Characters:

Keten: male, Gondor (brother of Keria)
Keria: female, Gondor (sister of Keten)

Background: The siblings are from Gondor, though they trace their lineage on their mother’s side back to Rhovanion before the Easterlings conquered it. Because of this, they have a natural hatred for the Wainriders. Keten served in the King’s guard before taking over his family’s blacksmith business upon the unexpected death of both parents. Having been approached a few years later by blackmarket traders interested in profits from Rhovanion, he approached King Calimehtar with the suggestion of forming a spy ring within the illegal smuggling group, thereby keeping the King informed and all the while working to bring about the destruction of the Wainriders from within their own territory. With this goal in mind, Keria also joined her brother, and the two have been successfully trading with (and spying on) the Easterlings for awhile.

Evil Characters:

Salfang: One of the chief Wainriders who trades often with Keten. He is known for his mighty wagons/chariots and horses.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby bill_n_sam » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:52 am

Tobias_Red-tail wrote: And hmmm... but not 'glam', you mean more of the hides as clothes kind of thing, I presume, and not so much fabric?

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. I know the movie (TTT ?) only very briefly portrayed some "easterlings" as they approached the black gate, and they looked almost oriental. But my feeling from what little exists in writing about them is maybe something more along the lines of peoples from the "Eurasia" area, perhaps like from the steppes of central asia????? It's pretty vague. Short and swarthy is about all we get (although in the war itself apparently they had gotten a bit bigger).

So it's open as to how we choose to depict them. I kind of had in my mind these fierce horsemen, who used chariots more than rode astride (for battle anyway. I think many ancient people did that because the sturrup hadn't been invented yet and the ridden horse was a very unstable platform for fighting). I had an image of men shorter than the Rhovanions and Gondorians, but very thick bodied and strong. Their homes might be say lumber and thatch, but maybe they would use tents when on the move, so newer "settlements" might also contain tents for living in. Of course, they would have also taken over whatever structures the native Rhovanions had built, again probably like wood and thatch????

As for clothing, perhaps the majority would be clad in rough spun wool, a few might have finer linens, and a very few some of the luxury materials that were being smuggled out of Gondor.???

Well, that is what I meant by saying this is a "planning" thread - I hope everyone will pitch in with their thoughts and we can decide as a group on such points. So if anyone has any ideas on how the Easterlings would have lived - let's hear them!

Elfkin Lathwen looks great. No Mary Sue there :) Does she have any family, like a recently deceased husband, to account for her ability to nurse? Or maybe one of her masters was responsible for a preganancy and the baby dies or was taken from her? I only bring up these thoughts because you all are creating such intersting characters and I just get to thinking about them too much :P Of course, "all shall be revealed" is a perfectly acceptable reponse in my book.

TempestKeten and Keria look good - maybe they'll run into some long lost family there in Rhovanion :P If we want to get even more intertwined, Salfang might be related to or known to whoever Tobias comes up with, if Tobias sticks with an easterling maid wanting out of her pending marriage. I don't want to make things to complicated but it's always nice to have other characters to interact with instead of posting all those "here's what my character is off doing by himself" posts :thumbsup:

Well, this is great! Looks like we can plan on getting started here in just a bit. Hopefully elerrina is still around and wanting to play. I'm going to start working on a bio for my character and a first post and try to get that up very soon.

Yay for new RPs!
bill_n_sam
Shield Bearer

Postby Elfkin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:35 pm

Thanks! :D Hmm, well... It is possible to lactate if you've not got a baby, or even if you're a virgin, but hrmm... hey, anything for character-building history! ^^ Let's say her previous master was also her lover (by his choice rather than hers... dang, I know that's in a book someplace, I just can't remember its name), and she had a baby by him, (dang! dang! dang! I know this book, we did it in English, it has blue flowers or something in the title...) but it died the day it was born. She doesn't know anything, but she suspects the man may have had a hand in it. She's managed to put it to the back of her mind.

The guy's wife had a baby about that time, too, but she was weakened by it and ill for a long time afterwards, so Lathwen ended up playing nursemaid. The kid -- his name's Orren -- is about ten now, but she hasn't seen him for years. And now she's being nursemaid again with a new family. This baby boy is called... hmm... Sorda. Worship my mad Scrabble-bag-name skillz! :P

A couple of ideas for Easterling culture... maybe they have multiple wives or something? Richer noblemen show off their wealth by supporting many wives and/or large families? I'm using this idea for a fantasy culture I'm making up... inventing traditions is fun. ^^ Also, unusual taboos is always fun to play with, for example murder is perfectly legal in certain circumstances (duelling and such), but if you... I dunno, you could get severely punished for showing disrespect to someone of a higher rank or something. Ooh, inventing cultures is addictive.
Elfkin
Ranger of the North

Postby Sea Spirit » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:08 am

hello everyone im new on this site but not new to writing and RPs. This RP looks like it has fabulous potential and just by reading whats already been said i can tell the people involved will make it better. so will you take me on? 8)
Sea Spirit
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Riot » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:41 am

BnS: Thank you. ^_^ I'll try to keep up with this one, and if time allows, maybe I can jump in later?

Riot
Riot
Ranger of the North

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:49 am

Believe it or not, my 3rd shot at writing this... :P

My rough character sketch...

Name: Yihenna

Race: Easterling

Appearance: Slender, and a pretty maid by all accounts, with large dark eyes and long black hair that flows past her shoulders. As a result of her father's determination to show off his wealth, she has a tendency to be clad in the rare fabrics smuggled from Gondor. However, while they might be rare and expensive, the richer colors only end up highlighting the sallow tone of her skin, the result of being kept indoors most of the time.

Personality: As the pretty daughter of a rich noble, it is hardly surprising that she ends up spoilt to the core. In her world, everything is done solely to benefit her, and her request is equivalent to the law with no one permitted to argue with her. Hence, it is hardly of any surprise that the idea that she marry a man thrice her age and size is absulutely absurd and impossible to her, regardless of the fact that the marriage is purely political and will benefit her house greatly. Despite her spoilt nature, however, she rarely lays hand, nor yells at the slaves. Not because she is innately a nice person, but more because to her, they simply do not exist. The only ones on the receiving end of her temper tantrums tend to be others of supposedly equal status, especially family members.

Background: Her father took her mother as a concubine, not so much because she was a potential political match, but rather because she was a beauty, and it was from her mother that Yihenna had inherited her beauty. Without a doubt, her father was pleased to be blessed with a pretty daughter, simply because there was not so much to worry about regarding arranging a future marriage, and when a fellow noble from a house of equal standing proposed taking his daughter as a wife, her father was ready to agree. However, the girl had different ideas, and threw a tamper tantrum, which had resulted in more than a few valuable items being completely ruined beyond repair. In a fit of anger, he had struck her, and afte that injury to her pride, she will do anything to ensure the marriage never takes place.
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)