OOC:The Dark Journey East

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

OOC:The Dark Journey East

Postby BrninThedwarf » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi there. This is the OOC(out of character) thread for The Dark Journey East. Here is where those who participate in the Role Play will come to discuss story elements, character development and so forth.

The following is a summary of the main theme of the story:

It is the tenth year of the fourth age. Peace has fallen upon most of Middle Earth. The lands of men in the west, Gondor and Rohan have prospered and grown. Men have known a level of peace not seen in ages.

The lands of the Dwarves, Erebor, The Iron Hills, and The Blue Mountains are more productive and prosperous than ever before. In Erebor Durin's folk are working with the men of Dale and the citizens of Esgaroth to ensure peace in the North. With the aid of the remaining elves in the area, they have been successful in rooting out the last of the evils in the land of Mirkwood.

It is in this time of peace that a dwarf from Erebor, Brnin Son of Borin, decides to search out the long lost lands of other dwarven peoples. Stories among dwarves tell of lands of their peoples in the dark east. Perhaps in the land of Ruhn, or farther east.

He sets out with his sister Willow on a quest to find these lands, and hopefully the lost four kingdoms of the dwarves. They set out from Erebor making a leisurely trip to the Iron Hills to stock up on supplies. The day they left the Iron Hills was the last anybody heard from them for over a year.

Then one day, Brnin stumbled his way into the halls of the Iron Hills severly injured and alone. He would tell no one of his journey or of the fate of his sister. Not even King Dain.

Our story starts with Brnin getting drunk in a tavern in Dale. It has been six months since he returned to known lands and he is finally revealing his tale to a group of people in the tavern. In the course of his adventures he and his sister encountered a dragon. In the ensuing battle he is severely injured and his sister killed defending him.

Now healed from his injuries Brnin is searching for allies to travel with him to the lands in the East and slay the dragon, avenge his sister, and find the lands of the dwarves in her memory.

This RP is intended to be a serious interactive story. As such every post need not be battle oriented nor include battle of some kind. Character interaction and character depth are much more important. Besides battles are far more epic when they happen less often.

Rules and Guidelines
This RP will follow the guidelines set up by this forum for posting in the Prancing Pony.

Rules and Guidelines

Characters:

I would like it if characters could be a bit diverse. Not everyone can be, nor should be a Ranger or Numenorean. This is an almost extinct people and there are a relatively small number of them.

Please feel free to be anything you wish, so long as it is an established Tolkien Race. Examples are:

Men(Gondorian, Rohirrim, Easterling, Haradrim, etc)

Elves

Dwarves

I would perfer it it there were no hobbits or orcs or urk-Hai. There are reasons for this.

1.Hobbits are generally seen as a timid and shy race. They would be unlikely to travel so far away from their home.

2.Hobbits are not known to be warriors. I would perfer characters that could defend themselves and others.

3.Orcs, Urk-Hai, and all other beings in this category are the enemies of all goodly races. Even if your character would be reformed, or good, people would be at the very least reluctant to trust him or her. At the worst would attack them on sight.

Ents are generally frowned upon as well. They, like Numenoreans are a rare race. Ents are also reluctant to join in the affairs of other races and are content to tend their trees.

Another note on Character: Please do not give your character any superpowers. One exception to this is the Rings of Power worn by members of the Rings Guild. Though ring powers shouldn't be all powerful attacks or effects. There should be limits No one(elf, man, or dwarf) can singlehandedly take down an entire army, or defeat a group of trolls alone. Character interaction and cooperation are what we're shooting for.

I welcome any ideas that others might have about this story. Please feel free to post them here.

Here is one of the best maps that have been found for the puroposes of this RP. I have to zoom it in to it's full size everytime I look at it. Map
Last edited by BrninThedwarf on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BrninThedwarf
Shield Bearer

Postby Sith~Happens1292 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:45 pm

HAHA!! BACK IN ACTION! I've been away for so long... I have quite missed it here.. (I used to RP until my internet got shut off, so I am experienced.)

Very nice RP, by the way. May I just ask one tinsy question? Can I join?? I have bio already ready if need be...

~God Bless~
§sith§
Sith~Happens1292
Shield Bearer

Postby BrninThedwarf » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:43 pm

Thanks for your interest. Of course you can join up. I just need to see a character bio if you can post it.
BrninThedwarf
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:47 am

I know I told you I was too busy for another RP, Brnin, but I think I’d like to give it a try after all. :) Things have been slowing down here on TORC and I really think I can keep up. It looks like such a nice story. So, may I join?

I have two characters in mind, and I’m not sure which one would be more suitable to the story, so I’ll let you pick.

The first is an elvish character from another RP that I was never very fond of, but I’ve been thinking I’d like to give her another chance. See if I can redeem her in my own mind I guess. :P Her name is Dulin and she’s from Rivendel, but at the end of the last RP I had her in, she had decided to leave home to see what else was out there. She had been somewhat prejudiced against non-elves, but was starting to see that there was more to humans then she had previously thought and it was with this in mind that she had gone off to seek adventure in the human world. That could easily have led her to Dale where she would overhear Brnin’s story and be intrigued by it. :wink:

If you’d rather I use a human character, I was starting to put one together named Vespasia. I don’t have a whole lot in mind for her yet other then she’ll need an excuse to get out of town quickly, and Brnin’s story could supply her with the excuse she’s been looking for. That’s all I have for now. :roll:

Which (if either) do you think would work better for your story?
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby BrninThedwarf » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:45 pm

Hey Lark, glad you decided to join us. Whichever character you decide to use is fine with me. I know that any character you use will be great.

Sorry I haven't posted any sooner than today. Oklahoma got hit with one of the biggest ice storms in our state's history. Right at this very moment is the first time I've had the chance to get online since last Thursday.

I promise to have the first IC post in the next few days, I hope that more people will show interest. Here is the bio of my character.

Name: Brnin Son of Borin

Hair: Deep natural red styled in the standard fashion of the dwarves. Long with braids to keep it out of the way while fighting. He also has a beard of the same color with two large and long braids amongst it.

Eyes: Green and deep set into his face.

Build: He is tall for a dwarf almost 4 ft 11 in. He is stocky and well built, but his body lacks the uneven muscular build that most dwarves have due to his constant use of both hands in battle.

Weapons: Brnin uses weapons forged specifically for him by his father. In his right hand he usually weilds a hand axe and in his left a large belled hammer with one side tapering into a curved blade. Both of these weapons are made of a Mithril and steel alloy developed by his father, the secret of which he shared with no one but Brnin.

Brnin also carries a standard two-handed dwarven battle axe made of steel.

Armor Items Etc: Brnin wears a standard dwarven armor design used by the royal guards in Erebor, of which he and his father belong. The only oddity is the left gauntlet which has slots into which his round shield fits.

Made entirely of Mithril, the shield is the most valuable of his families posessions. He inherited it upon his father's death.

Brnin also weilds the Fire Ring of Aule the Smith, gifted to him by the Rings Guild.

History: Brnin was born in the Iron Hills in the years of trouble in the thrid age. Smaug had overrun Erebor and forced the dwarves into retreat. The only knowledge of his homeland that he possessed was the stories of his father and other members of his family.

Growing up in the Iron Hills, Brnin didn't know of the hardships that some dwarves, especially those in the Blue Mountains experienced during those years. His family made it out of Erebor with more than some, and fighting against dwarven nature, shared it with many.

He apprenticed in the smithy under his father, as ten generations of his family had done. He became well versed in the ways of metal, stone, and wood. He could craft many a beautiful piece of art, but it was in the art of war where he showed the most promise.

Trained by his grandpa for fifteen years he could fight against any race in Middle Earth. "The wise old Dwarf" as Brnin called his grandpa, taught him ways to defend against the great strength of men, the superior speed of Elves, and the unbridled rage and hate of orcs and goblins. In many lessons he even learned how to combat the terrifying strength of trolls.

When Brnin was just into his 37th year, and three years short of the end of his apprentiship, his father was killed in a battle against goblins. His grandpa stepped in to finish his apprentiship, but it wasn't the same. Brnin wasn't the same.

After his father's death his mother talked of moving to the Blue Mountains where her kin were. She waited until Brnin's training was complete and then set out for the West.

In her journey she met a hobbit by the name of Delwin Weatherford. The hobbit was, in her words, "The most unhobbit like hobbit I've ever met." She slowly fell in love with Delwin and married him, much to the shagrin of Brnin.

Two years into the marriage, the couple had a child. They named the girl Willow. The pair were overjoyed, for no one expected that a dwarf and hobbit couple could even have a child. Many in the Shire and in the Hills were unhappy with the child. Many thought it was an affront to the true nature of things and refused to even speak to the girl as she grew up.

Brnin's mother didn't even tell him of the child until she was five years old. He found out about her when he visited his mother and the child came out of the room where she was told to stay until Brnin left.

He was angry that his mother had hidden the child, his sister, from him almost as much as he was shocked that such a child could even be born. Unlike most, Brnin didn't hate the child simply because she was different. He spent more and more time with his sister and grew to love her.

When she came of age, as hobbits deem it, she left the shire and came to live with Brnin in the mountains. He felt that she should learn the ways of the dwarves, for she was of their blood. For ten years he labored to teach her, labored not because of any deficency in her to learn, but labored against her hobbit nature. She was extermely intelligent, but she loved fun and games more than lessons.

After Brnin deemed that her training was as complete as he could make it, he took her out into the world. During Brnin's training Erebor had been retaken and Smaug killed. He took her to the Lonely Mountain, and the newly remade city of Dale. They traveled town the river to Esgaroth on the Long Lake, and far into the west to the sea.

It wasn't long before Brnin came to regard Willow with more respect and love than anyone else in the world. She was his family, his sister, his best friend and his most trusted confidant.

It was this bond that compelled Brnin to ask Willow to go into the east with him. It was this bond that at times would make Brnin wish he were dead in the months following her death.

Sorry for the long bio, please don't feel that any others should be as long. It's mainly so long because some of it is events taken from my real life, the sister from another marriage.(Not the training or any of that :wink: )

My sister in real life Mellisa, was known as WillowWeatherford here on TORC. She died as the result of a car accident in July of last year. I am trying to use this RP as a tribute to some of the things she loved most, Role Play and storytelling.
BrninThedwarf
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:58 am

Great bio Brnin! Very sad, but very well written.

I’m out of time this morning, but I’ll try to be back with my bio this evening. I think I’ll go with Dulin since she’s already an established character…and I lack imagination. :P

Did you want to wait for a certain number if participants before you start the IC?

Edit: Here’s my bio~

~*~*~
Name- Dulin

Race- elf (Sindar)

Height- 5‘9”

Age- 235

Appearance- Dulin has green eyes and blond hair which she keeps cut short, though she has recently grown it somewhat longer to help hide her pointed ears. Like most elves she is tall and slender with a straight figure. She prefers to wear pants rather then a skirt and has substituted her usual elvish garb for human clothing, with the exception of her green elvish cloak.

Weapons- Dulin always carries two small daggers hidden in either side of her belt, but when traveling she also bears a long bow and a quarter staff with silver bands and caps at either end, and a leather grip in the center. She is proficient with a sword, but almost never uses one.

Horse- Pale gray, elvish bred palfrey called Celebglin.

Dulin had lead a fairly sheltered life in Rivendel with her twin brother, Thalion. As a result, she had grown somewhat prejudice of humans and other races for lack of knowledge. Aware of this, she left home more then a year ago in the company of a human thief named Halda, with the intention of expanding her understanding of the world and the hope of finding adventure. She and Halda parted ways shortly there after under less then happy circumstances, and on the whole, her traveling in the human world has been a humbling experience. She has been residing in Dale for a few weeks now, however, feeling disillusioned and nearly out of money, she is starting to think about returning home.
~*~*~

This is all I have for now.
Brnin, I hope this RP becomes all you wish it to be.
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Kethasbro » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:04 am

Name : Halith (Huh-leeth)
Race : 3-4 man and 1-4 elf
Height : six foot
Primary Weapon : one elvish sword 5 feet long
Other Weapon(s) : Bow and arrows and dagger.
Skills : tracking hunting smuggler.
Mother : unknown
father : Beregond
History : Born in Gondor, his father died when he was 7 he lived as a stable boy till about 20 then started traveling. It was only coindence that he was in dale when they started.
Appearance : black, longish hair with a blond streak. He wears a grey longsleeve shirt, black leather vest, black pants, and black boots. (He likes black, can you tell?)
Last edited by Kethasbro on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kethasbro
Shield Bearer

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:54 am

Hi, Brnin! Can I join? I have a bio..

Name: Narchohen (remember the ch makes a sound like choir)

Race: half-elven

Height: just at five foot.

Weapons: An elvish knife, much like Legolas's, and bow. Carries a haradric curved knife strapped to her boot.

Skills: Varied....She has been in many differnt dangerous situatiions, and has as much skill in lulling a man to sleep as she has skill in the bow. Potions are also a specialty.

Mother: Her mother was an elf, by name of Luinfaer. While tarveling through the southern reaches of Gondor, her travling party was set upon by Haradrim. She was captured, and given to a Haradric chieftain.

Father: Said chieftain, by name of Jiran. A short man, and from who Narchohen gets her short stature.

History: Born in Harad, she was named by her mother Narchohen, meaning tear child. A Haradric name was also given her, so she might not be tormented unduly by her father's people. Nevertheless, as a girl-child, and elvish girl child at that, her uses as percieved by her father, were only in forming alliances with neighboring tribes.
At the age of fourteen, her father made plans to give her, as almost a peace offering, to Khalin, a fat, pompous old man, who's mercenaries were the best armed in the desert.
At that point, Luinfaer set in motion plans she had been forulating for years. They drugged the guards, stole Jiran's best horses, and made their way north-west towards the sea of Rhun under the cover of darkness.

As they travled to the north, they passed by the westernmost edges of Mordor, and there, wearied as she was by her years in captivity, and wounded by a poisened dart, Luinfaer died.

Narchohen continued on her own, and over several years, made her way towards the city of Dale. At the time of this tale she is 20.

Apperance: Wears an assortment of northern and haradric clothes. Her hair is dark, waist leangth, and wavy. Worn usually pulled back and wrapped with soft leather thongs. Tall boots come above her knees, and on the inside part of her right boot is a very inconspicuious sheath for her dagger. She wears her haradric tunics, but usually covers them with a knee leanth dark-grey leather vest. She is short, but not stick thin..she presents the inpression that there is muscle under her petit exterior. Her skin is dark enough to seem unusual among northern men, yet light enough to not seem too unusual. Really, she looks like either a dark skinned gondorian or a light skinned Haradrim.
Last edited by Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel on Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby BrninThedwarf » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:03 pm

Great. All the bios look great. Welcome everyone to The Dark Journey East. I should have the first IC post up tonight. I have it written out on paper and I just need to type it.

Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel

Love the bio. I love the fact that your character has already grown up in lands allied with the people that we will undoubtly meet in this RP. The men of Harad and the Easterlings of Rhun were allied under the banner of Sauron. Allies would have knowledge of the others' strengths and weaknesses. If we fight the Easterlings, which I plan to do at least once, your character would prove valuable.

Kethasbro

Good bio. I would ask that you flesh it out a bit more when you post in character though. :wink:

Lark

You asked if I was waiting for a specific number of people...well I think that we have enough now to get started.....so I better get started.

Bye for now.
BrninThedwarf
Shield Bearer

Postby BrninThedwarf » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:57 pm

Sorry to dp but the IC post is up.
BrninThedwarf
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:38 am

Welcome Mara and Keth! :) Good to see you here!

Brnin, that was an awesome first post! :D I’m ready to follow up, but I know I won’t have time before this evening. If someone else wants to go on ahead of me, go ahead, and I’ll try to get one written out tonight. :)
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:05 pm

Oh, just so yu guys know, I'm editing my bio-post to add the description of Narchohen...I forgot that yesterday. :roll:
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby lark » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:35 pm

Great post Mara! :)

Unfortunately, I just finished one offline, and now I’m trying to figure out how to make the two fit together. :roll: I hate when this happens. Mind if my character gets to Brnin and has a few words with him first? I could mention your character approaching at the end if that suits you.

Edit: I can’t stay on much longer, so I went ahead and posted. If it seems awkward to anyone, I can try to change it. :)

Brnin, I did some dialogue between your character and mine. If it’s not to your liking, just let me know. :wink:
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby BrninThedwarf » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:42 pm

Awesome posts guys :D This story is starting to come together. I have a post ready I just need to double check the little things, like if it makes sense or not.
BrninThedwarf
Shield Bearer

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:41 am

Yeah...Minor details.

That post was good, Lark. I couldn't quite think up dialogue for Brnin, which is why I cut it off.

I really sometimes get stuck on the dialogue with other peoples characters, just so you know.

(BTW, Lark wrote "a dark, completed woman"......Erm....huh? :? :P )
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby lark » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:54 pm

Sorry about that Mara. I meant “dark complected” woman. :roll: For some reason my spell checker won’t accept that word even though my dictionary says it’s correct. I’ll warn you now, I’m borderline dyslexic, so I’m afraid I make spelling errors pretty often. My computer catches most of them, but sometimes it mistakes one word for another and I don’t notice. :P

Can’t wait to read your post Brnin! :)
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:45 pm

Oh. complexioned.....Completed just made me think of Hot Elves.... :shock: :P
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby lark » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 pm

ComplexionedComplected:? must be a dialect thing. Complexioned seems awkward to me for some reason. I’ve always said complected.

Why does completed woman make you think of Hot Elves? Never mind…don’t answer that! :shock: I don’t think I want to know! I often marvel at what J_F, Riot and Ed get away with on that thread. :P I may never live down the "Larkenstones." :roll:
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:19 pm

Yes, it is indeed quite atonishing.....And rather scary.. :shock:
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby lark » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Kethasbro, I’m glad you got a chance to post, and I know you have a broken arm, but you need to check the rules and guidelines in this forum. It’s different then the light RPs we do over in Guilds and Alliances, and you’re not allowed to write such short posts. What I was told when I first started RP was to try to think in paragraphs, not sentences. :wink: Perhaps your sister could give you some advice. She’s an experienced RPer and quite good. :)

Brnin, where did you go? :?
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Kethasbro » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:35 pm

do tell me if theres anything wrong with my posts please

I'm sorry about my last post
Kethasbro
Shield Bearer

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:57 pm

Content, actually pretty good; grammar and stylistics.well, it only needs some small changes.Grammar wise, that is. I'm saving your original post in your folder; and making said small changes. If you have any issue with my editing, please slay me in my sleep. :P

One of the main problems....When there are two main people you are talking about, and they are both males, try to make clear who he is...It really got confusing when you added the troll to the mix...that was three 'he' s!!! :wink:
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby BrninThedwarf » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:18 pm

Hi guys. Sorry I've been away. I've been sick all this week, and am about to embark on a new job opportunity. I have a post ready that should progress the story along a bit more.
BrninThedwarf
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:15 pm

I’m so sorry to hear you were sick, Brnin, but I’m glad you’re back, and your post was great. :) Good luck with the job!

Kethasbro, I didn’t notice you had changed your post. It was quite an improvement. :) Great job!

I hope to have a post up later today or this evening sometime.
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby BrninThedwarf » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:23 pm

Found a link to a page all about the dwarves of Middle Earth, if anyone is interested in checking out some of the back story that Tolkien himself made for them.

Them Dwarves.

Also, here is the Wikipedia info on the mighty folk of the mountains.

Dwarves

Lark, thanks for the nice words about my last post. I know that it wasn't great, I was in a terrible rush as I was writing it. Hopefully I will have more time for my next one.

I didn't write much about the introductions of the other characters to Brnin, other than Dulin, because I thought it would be better if they all did it themselves. Can't wait to see more of this story unfold. :TORC:
BrninThedwarf
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:46 am

Thanks for putting up those links, Brnin. :) I’m in a rush this morning, but I’ll come back and read them later.

Sorry I didn’t get my post up last night like I thought I would. I’m about half done with it, but my muse kind of died. :roll: If I’m holding someone else back, let me know, but hopefully I can finish it up today.

Edit: My post is up. Sorry it took me so long. I rewrote it like three times, and I’m still not very happy with it. :roll: It will be a wonder if it makes sense. :P I was shooting for some character development, but…Meh.

Mara, I had to kind of guess how your character would react to being asked about her heritage. Let me know if I messed up.

Kethasbro, I didn’t really feel like I know enough about your character to have much conversation with him. Give me time, and I'll do better with him. :wink:

Brnin, tell me if I should change anything. :)
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:59 am

No, Lark, you played her perfectly....I'm hoping to get a up post tomorrow.
Ciao!
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ilyda » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:49 am

This thread looks great! Great idea, Brnin, and good job so far everyone else.

I am looking for a way to finally get back into RP, and this thread is tickling my muse. Is there room around here for a lost little Ranger?
Ilyda
Ranger of the North

Postby lark » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Hello and welcome Ilyda! :) Brnin is the thread-master here, so only he can allow you to join, but hopefully he’ll be along soon. (I think he got a new job which keeps him pretty busy :wink: )

Mara, I’m glad I did okay. :) Looking forward to your post!
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby BrninThedwarf » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:30 pm

Welcome Ilyda, sure you can join. I just need to see a bio before you post. Great job everyone.
BrninThedwarf
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)