READ ONLY - Official TENGWAR Transcription (and TATTOOS) - I

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

READ ONLY - Official TENGWAR Transcription (and TATTOOS) - I

Postby Breogan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:38 am

April 2010 - NOTE: This thread is now locked however, it is still fully readable.

If you cannot locate an already completed transcription for your text in this thread, you may post a request in the new Transcription thread:

Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - II

(clicking the link will take you directly to the thread)

Daefaroth, Moderator
The One Ring.com

Due to the numerous requests for help with tengwar transcriptions (esp. for tattooes), the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread is now open for business.

Please keep all relevant Tengwar transcription requests and questions to this thread and this thread only in order to keep things tidy and under control, and make sure no request goes unnoticed.
Also, feel free to collaborate with your trancriptions and post here your trancription exercises if you are interested in learning to use the tengwar and the different modes.

Do not forget to visit our Elvish Language FAQ (http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=43137), where you can learn more about the story of the elven languages and the Tengwar created by Tolkien.

:) Breogan
Last edited by Breogan on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Breogan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:11 am

Gaveym,

Here you have a transcription, according to the Original English Mode. :)

Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Breogan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:06 am

Jenova811

Here you have my trancription. Hope this helps :)

Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Jenova811 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:46 pm

thank you SO much! this turned out perfect, it will certainly find a nice home on my wrist!!
Jenova811
Petitioner to the Council

Postby joshfrance04 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:45 am

Hey i recently had "you reap what you sow" transcribed into tengwar annatar form, and i was wondering if someone could put it into the one ring font as i think it might look a lot better. thanks

Josh xx
joshfrance04

Postby Breogan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:47 am

Josh, those transcriptions requested to look like "the One Ring" inscription use the Annatar font (cursive).
The same font and style I have used for your transcription.

This font is the closest one so far to the Fiery Letters seen on the One Ring - however, the text in the One Ring is Black Speech, the tongue of Mordor, and that has a very particular morphology, which gives the text its characteristic and flowing look, very different from that of the English language.
Also, depending on the text you transcribe into tengwar, the final result will look more or less similar to the One Ring... but the font is always the same, Tengwar Annatar cursive.
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby joshfrance04 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:09 am

So i would have to get the text re-transcribed then in order to get it into the black speech? xx
joshfrance04

Postby Breogan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:07 am

There's no point in doing that.
Even transcribing the English text according to the Black Speech Mode, the result is basically the same.
The English language hasn't got the sounds or the morphology of the Black Speech, that's why you can get an English text written in tengwar to look like the One Ring inscription only to a certain point, since the two languages are very different.
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:27 pm

Hi I just want to say you guys are the best!!!

I was also hoping if I can have a translation of "Im ready to meet him" and "Good Times / Bad Times" in Tenwar Annatar
I have searched high and low and its driving me crazy.
Anything will help
Thank you

another tattoo transcription =)

Postby cflex420 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:07 am

i was wondering if you could trascribe "Divine starlit night" into tengwar annatar, would be very much appreciated.

thank you
cflex420

names wanted to be transcribed

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi, first post I am afraid. I need some help please with transcribing our names into Tengwar Annatar font. Just can not get my head round it!
The names are

Kirsty
Ash
Aidan
Mia

Any help would be great, thanks x x

Postby cflex420 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:34 am

sorry ahead of time for the bother, but i also have two other sayings i would like transcribed when you get a moment, if youd be so kind.

"soul meets body"
" i will follow you into the dark"

again, thank you for your time.
cflex420

Postby J-Cat » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:13 am

Hello there. I would like to get the word "Dream" written in elvish. I do not want the elvish word for dream just the english word :)

I have downloaded a font from a site and I would also like to know if this is the correct translation. I am thinking of getting a tattoo so I do not want any misstakes here :roll:

Hope you can help :)
J-Cat

Postby Breogan » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:04 am

Ok, here you my version of the transcriptions requested, according to the Original Mode and using the Tengwar Annatar font.

J-cat

What you have transcribed does not read "dream" - it's just gibberish, so to speak. The layout of the elvish characters does not correspond to the English one - so you cannot type "dream" and expect to get the equivalent in tengwar (leaving transcription rules aside).
The correct transcription, according to the Original Mode is:

Breogan
Ranger of the North

Transcription request

Postby Coral » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:00 am

And another try ... :(

May I ask for a transcription as the below once as well, please?

I need following words for my wedding rings:

At sea the Love was found, with this rings forever bound!

Thanks a lot, your help will be much appreciated!
Coral

Postby Breogan » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:46 am

Coral,

What you've written (thIS ringS) is quite confusing, could you please post the exact text?

"At sea the love was found, with this ring is forever bound"
"At sea the love was found, with this ring was forever bound"
"At sea the love was found, with these rings is forever bound" or
"At sea the love was found, with these rings was forever bound"

Thanks.
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Coral » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:29 am

Sorry,

English is not my native language! :(

What do you think about "at sea the love was found, with this ring it is forever bound"

Thanks and sorry again! :lol:
Coral

A big THANKS!

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:27 pm

Thank you so much for your time and help. This is wonderfull :lol:

Postby J-Cat » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:10 pm

Breogan wrote:
J-cat

What you have transcribed does not read "dream" - it's just gibberish, so to speak. The layout of the elvish characters does not correspond to the English one - so you cannot type "dream" and expect to get the equivalent in tengwar (leaving transcription rules aside).
The correct transcription, according to the Original Mode is:

I doubted that I should trust those fonts.. :roll:

It's much better to ask someone who knows what they are talking about. Thanks a lot for this! We'll see if I end up getting this as a tattoo :)

Many thanks again :D
J-Cat

Postby Breogan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:33 am

Coral,

Do you really want an inscription for your wedding band in English, when English is not your native language? Because what you are requesting here is a transcription of the English text, according to the English rules... perhaps it would be easier if you were to post the text you want transcribed in your native language, exactly as you want it...
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Coral » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:52 am

It doesn't fit the English rules again :?

I would actualy prefer in English as we are from different countries (me from Austria and him from Bulgaria). Non of us knows the others language well, but both know English as it is the board language on our cruise ship and we always speak English.

Besides in German it is far longer: "Auf dem Meer die Liebe gefunden, durch diese Ringe fuer ewig verbunden"

But maybe you are right, because I am not sure about the right meaning of the word bound, if it is really used right in this sentence.

May I ask you than for the German version:

Auf dem Meer die Liebe gefunden, durch diese Ringe fuer ewig verbunden

Thanks so much for your help, it is really important to me to be perfect as we have to wear these rings for a lifetime! :)
Coral

Postby Coral » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:56 am

I don't want to seem rude, but if there is a chance to get our names as well, it would be great:

Bianca (my name)

Todor (his name)

Todorov (his family name and my future family name) :wink:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coral

Postby Breogan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:19 am

OK, I will have a look and see if I can find the transcription rules for the German language. I will include names as well.
I will post the transcription in a short while :)
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Breogan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:58 am

Coral

The text makes more sense in German than in English (well, I got the basic idea in English, but it was not that correct).
Here you have two versions of your text. The first one is transcribed according to a standard German Mode, while the second follows a revision of previous modes.
Hope the font is large enough for your wedding rings :)

Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Coral » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:44 pm

WOW!!! :o SUPER!!! :) :) :)

THANKS A LOT!!!!

I appreciate very much, I do not understand the difference between a german mode and previous modes, I will take the first one, eitherhow they are almost the same!

Woderful, I am very happy, thanks again and again and again!
Coral

Postby Nenriel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:18 pm

Could you please tell me what this says? I'd really appriciate it. Thanks!

Nenriel
Shield Bearer

Postby Breogan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:16 am

The transcription is hard to read since some tehtar are misplaced, not knowing exactly the tengwar they follow.
Do you know the original language? I have tried to transcribe it and so far I am just getting gibberish...
Breogan
Ranger of the North

Postby Nenriel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:38 am

No, I really don't have any idea. It was something a friend of mine wanted translated and I was completely lost. I don't have any clue what the original source was though. Eh, I'm sure they'll survive..
Nenriel
Shield Bearer

Postby rrayvic » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi there i am very new to this site and stumbled on by here while looking for inspiration for my tattoo.

i am looking to transcribe my sons and husband name and also a spiritual message but not sure yet ....i have tried doing it myself with a alphabet and it does not look too bad then i used the online tangwar transcriber and most of my names look different because of the a,s being above the wrong letter so i thought i would ask if you kind people could help me out .....plus also your transcribes look alot better than the site i was on .........

my names are

RAY

RHYS

CAILUN

also wonderd how would .......LOVE LIGHT AND LAUGHTER.........look

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND HOPE YOU CAN BE A PART OF MY WONDERFUL TATTOO.

look forward to hearing from some of you soon

vicki xxxxx

:bookworm: :) :)
rrayvic

Postby Alatius » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:20 am

Nenriel wrote:Could you please tell me what this says? I'd really appriciate it. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to read "North forty-one degrees zero three point nine one six. West eighty-five degrees thirteen point four five six."

Edit: Seems to point to a place close to Greenlawn Cemetary in Fort Wayne, north-east Indiana, USA, unless I'm mistaken.
Alatius

Next

Return to Language