My Preciousssesss III

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

My Preciousssesss III

Postby Canamarth » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:25 am

New location but still the same purpose. All my preciousssesss are welcome to tell me how they're faring and share parts of their experiences with me. New preciousssess are of course welcome any time. :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:29 am

I've really been out of the loop for a while, Daefaroth. Wasn't even once looking at the numbers. :roll: Thanks for taking care of it. :hug:

I really hope Erumahtar will find his/her way back. You see, you really need to tell me at least one detail about you. ;) I'm Ms. Canamarth, also known as the Mistress Archer of Dale. :D

Yeah, Silwen, the Sims game. It is a bit addictive. Went to bed too late again last night. :roll:
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:03 am

Do you check out Sims websites and stuff? Foolinthemoon (from B77) has a Message board with downloads and stuff.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:58 am

Ah, at last! Here we are. Good thing I checked Talk today.

I left a trail of breadcrumbs for anyone from the last thread so they can find us. No need to thank me. Image

Guess what? I finished another sock. I've not done the second one yet, but it went very quickly even though the pattern is more complicated than others I have done. I was quite surprised.

Apart from that I did lots of formatting for my thesis and upped my pages to 195 from 183. Today I decided to delete the footnotes and add them to the main text where appropriate ... and now I am down to 188 again. *sigh* At least I didn't get further down or I would have been very worried.

See you later!
Last edited by Silwen on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:37 am

But I still say thanks, Silwen. :P

I haven't gotten back to my stitching project over the weekend. Was too lazy on Saturday and went out to the Barbarossamarkt on Sunday. That's a big market / fair in the old town of Gelnhausen. Met up with a colleague and we had a ride on the ferris wheel with a wonderful view over the town and the whole Kinzig valley.

You can still format the footnotes back the way they were, Silwen. ;) Oh, and changing the font from TNR to Arial also helps with adding a few pages. :D

Thanks for the tip, oldtoby, though I don't think I'll check out any websites. It's fun but I don't tend to get too much into computer games. Will tell my friend about them, though.

How's life treating you these days?
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:14 am

Prod me so I get to work, please. It's already 3 p.m. and I haven't done anything at all. :roll: I've joined Ravelry, the knitting community that everybody has been going on in knitting circles, and it is really as good as they say! So I am spending way too much time goign there and making lists of what I am knitting now, what I have finished, and what needles and yarn I have. That's not good! :lol:

I am not going to reformat the footnotes! :nono: :P It looks better the way it is now. I was getting worried about having so many in my thesis that they were getting into the triple-digits. :Q Who wants to read all that? So I did it the most common way and added sources within the text, though I find that annoying while reading, normally. Now all I need is to decide on a format for all the different headings - and I still have to find headings that actually sound good too. Usually, I am good at that, but recently I have not been too creative. At the moment they just consist of terms that allow me to know what the section is about.

Oh my, I just noticed all my typos in the last post. I must correct them. :shock:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:04 pm

How's life treating you these days?

Caint complain.

(well I can)

(but i wont) :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:37 am

Same here, same here, mustntgrumbleoldtoby. :D

So, Silwen is moving in knitting circles now. :| Are they looking down on the cross-stitchers and slag the crocheters off? :P

Hey, if you need any suggestions for titles - bring them on!
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:22 am

Yes, the elusive, secret knitting circle to which you can only get by invitation. :twisted: It is also for crocheters, though. No cross-stitchers allowed! ;) I even found someone from Giessen there, but it is no one I know.

A few days ago I uploaded my English CV on monster.co.uk and I just got a letter from someone after he saw it. Unfortunately, he works for an insurance company in Germany and I have no idea what people even do there, not to mention my lack of interest in that area. Mark would know now that he is employed by one. However, I do not see my future in that business. It sounded more like the type of letter they send to anyone they find. If I can't find anything else, at least I know there's someone who might be interested. ;)

I've been looking for jobs In Bath recently too, and there are a few publishers there that I'd be interested in. One is quite big too and apparently well known, with offices in Bath and London. They have no vacancies right now, but I am really keen on a job in publishing at the moment. Who knows? One day I might be head editor. :D

In the meantime I shall try to edit my thesis. :roll: I need a good overview, which I haven't got anymore now that it's so long. I will think about the title sometime soon and if I need help, I'll let you know, Canamarth.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:07 am

Hey a new spiffy home :)

*wipes his dusty boots neatly on the doormat*

Had some terribly busy days at work and some old sleeping problems were back again, not to mention this site is not accessible from work easily*grumbles*

But on a much more positive note, it is good to see you all again. :wink:

And it looks outside the big storm finally laid down and there is even a sun :lol:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:35 am

Glad to see you found us too!

So you had the big storm too? Here it wasn't too bad and all we had were some fallen trees and branches on the roads. Fortunately, no one I know has been blown away. ;)

I'm off to our old home today - Giessen. An afternoon of trying to hold on to my money, which won't work since I need new glasses. :P See you later.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Erumahtar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi everyone.

I am glad I found the thread at last. I was looking for it for days and I even thought to open it myself but since I am new here I didn't do it.

So, here I am now. I really don't know what exactly I'm supposed to say but I'll say that you can call me Eru, a nickname I like very much because it was given to me by someone I am very fond of.

C ya :wink:
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:00 am

Hey, Eru. Glad to see you found your way into the new thread. You're supposed to say what you feel like saying. ;) We tend to share a bit of our busy worklife, weekend plans, hobbies etc. Let me start with the opener: How did you encounter Tolkien's work?

I was given The Lord of the Rings by Khorazîr with the comment: "You have to read this! I need to talk about it with someone." I was 14 and since then I have read the books and most other Tolkien works a few times. Also landed at this messageboard because Khorazîr told me to check it out. It's all her fault. :)

Did you get glasses you liked, Silwen?

I also got some offers from companies at Monster that sure as hell didn't tailor their requests to the individual but just sent them out to anyone. :roll: But I found the job ad for the job I currently have on there, so I most certainly can't complain. :D

Oooh, shiny-boots-Maeglin. Glad you also found your way over. Same problem here - lots to do at work (the semester at the uni I work for has just started and I had to organise quite a few things for a very important date my profs have with a bank today) = no time for TORC :( So, the late afternoon might be quiet. Next week I have to cover for the dean's assistant - which means two jobs at the same time... Don't expect me over much (maybe at all...). :roll:

So, any exciting plans for Easter? I'll do a lot of roleplay tomorrow! :D D&D from lunch to midnight. Then a short trip to my parents on Saturday and then probably hanging out at home.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:10 am

Good to see you again, Canamarth! :hug:

The nearing LOTR films were to blame for my reading the books first. Not a bad thing, though if I hadn't liked them, it would have been quite a waste of money since I bought the books in English and in a boxed set, which made them quite expensive. As you can tell from my being here, it was a good investment.

Through the books and films I got to know Canamarth. :D So it was an even better investment! Canamarth then brought me to TORC.

I did find the pair of glasses I wanted last week. :happydance: I am waiting to here from the shop so I can pick them up next week. I can't wait! I want to see properly again, and most of all I want to see how I really look in those new glasses. When I tried them on in the shop, I had to almost touch the mirror with my nose to see. :P (My worst eye now has - 8.25 dioptrine. *cringes*)

Easter took me by surprise. I thought it woldn't be till April! Well, since I am not prepared, I won't be painting any eggs like I did the last two years. I had painted egg shells based on famous paintings. Mainly I did a lot of art nouveau designs which looke dvery good. This time I don't have the patience since I am rather late.

We never do anything at Easter, so it will basically be a day like any other. I am hoping to have Grüne Soße (green sauce: cream sauce with herbs and egg over potatoes) sometime though. :D
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:55 am

They had that in our cantina today. But I opted for oven potatoes with cottage cheese instead. Don't like eggs unless they're scrambled. I can't eat the white parts. :roll:

I don't quite recall where we really met, Silwen. Was it a creative writing course or a some other seminar? I know I first saw you at a reading but I don't know if we spoke that evening.

Yay for the glasses. I make sure to visit soon after you finally have them. :)

I'd like to colour a few eggs but as I won't eat them anyway... Maybe I can surprise Ziska with a few.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:45 am

You don't like eggs? Hm, I'm still learning new things about you. :D EDIT: I had green sauce today too! :shock: *has scary gift of foresight*

We saw each other at a reading, that's true, but we didn't speak. I was a bit intimidated by someone who could speak English that well too. :oops: I know that I spoke to you somewhere on the third floor near the lift at some point, about a LOTR-related story I was writing just for fun. So I knew that you were into LOTR, but I am not sure how I knew. Maybe it was because you wrote a Middle-earthian story in Creative Writing. It's been a long time since then!

My new glasses are thin wire framed ones. And they are red. :shock: But it isn't too obvious. I never thought I'd have red glasses. :lol: I just realised that my mother has red ones too. The frames aren't very shiny either, luckily, and they are quite narrow like yours, Canamarth. I've always wanted that shape, but couldn't tell if it suited me.

Right now I have to get back to some surprise work I got. I have to proofread another article - since I worked just a fraction of the hours I was meant to work on the publication for according to my contract in January, I have to do the rest as well. :roll: Right now is not a good time, but it's got to be done.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Erumahtar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:30 pm

Let me start with the opener: How did you encounter Tolkien's work?

Well, I had heard about the first movie coming out and wanted to read the book before watching it, but didn't manage to buy the first volume of Lord of the Ring. Instead, I found Silmarillion and started reading it like crazy because I was told that it mentioned the events that had happened before the ones described in LotR. So, I started reading Silmarillion and loved it, especially Ainulindalë and Valaquenta. Something else that made me love the book were the languages of the Elves. In the beginning I thought it was one of them, just Quenya, because I had heard of that one before and loved the way the word sounded, but sound saw the differences in the names and did a little search in the Internet and found out more about Tolkien and his work.
After Silmarillion, I bought the Lord of the Rings, but didn't like it as much as the first.

I think it is enough for now.

C u :wink:
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:14 am

Over Easter I tried to watch FOTR and TTT, but my laptop for some reason no longer recognises the second FOTR disc. :? No idea why! It does the same with my Schindler's List DVD. :( Even i I try to play them on another day they still won't work. They are fine on ordinary DVD players, though. It must be some issue with my laptop, but I have no idea what causes it and how to fix it. Very strange.

It's been a long time since I watched the extras on the extended DVD so I had a look into them again instead.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Erumahtar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:32 pm

On Saturday I finished reading Eragon and decided to watch the movie, because a friend of mine (who is an Eragon fan) had told me that the movie was very different from the book. He was more than right in what he had told me. After watching the beginning of the movie I didn't want to continue watching, but after a while decided to watch it till the end in oredr to see the changes that were made, which were so much I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, how are you guys doing? I haven't seen you these days. Is everything alright?

C ya ;)
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:45 pm

Got room for a worn out old bard in here? Think I'll set a spell if you yunguns don't mind.

I did not read the book but I saw the movie Eargon and I can't tell ya how disappointed I was. It had all the ingredients but they didn't add up to anything tasty ya know. I do not know when this was actually written but I hope it was a source of some of the looked like warn rehashes of a jillion other Somewherland fantasy movie. Feh!
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Canamarth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:50 am

The bard has graced us with his presence and everything went quiet? :? Glad you found your way in, erinhue. :hug: How have you been faring?

Ok, I can explain my absence. Lots to do at work, no time to check anything online. And too exhausted in the evenings. So, everything's alright, Erumahtar, thanks for asking. Just very busy at this end.

It's strange to hear of someone who actually started with The Silmarillion - and enjoyed it so much. I read it soon after The Hobbit (which followed LOTR) and was also fascinated by it. But I know many people who are great fans of LOTR but never got their heads around The Sil. I know it's pretty complex and I keep forgetting which elf whose name starts with an F is related to which other elf with an F in which way. But it is still utterly fascinating. Have you read any of the History of Middle-earth books yet?

Can't say anything to Eragon. The books somehow failed to have any appeal to me so far.

Silwen, I guess most people at the faculty at one point knew that I was the girl from the German Tolkien Society. :D I actually think the story I read at that reading was about Loki so you must have heard about my hobby somewhere else.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:25 am

I remember the Loki story! Well, I remember you wrote and read one and that I liked it. :D So how we met is clear, but how we got talking remains a mystery.

If I had read The Hobbit before LOTR, I think I would never have been as much interested in Middle-earth as I was. Perhaps The Silmarillion would have kindled my interest, though; I prefer to The Hobbit by far. Frankly, I don't like The Hobbit as a book at all. I suppose it depends on how old you are the first time you read it. Perhaps I was too old.

Eragon - I've neither read the book nor seen the film and don't intend to. I rarely read fantasy, having been disappointed by almost all but LOTR. I did try reading other books of the genre, but would mostly have done better not doing that.

Argh, my cough is killing me again. Everytime it gets colder here, it gets worse. :angry:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:47 am

*puts down a large mug of tea for Silwen* :hug: Hope you'll be better soon! The weather man this morning said it's going to get warmer tomorrow (16°!).

Same here with the fantasy stuff. I read fantastic novels but I tend to stay away from high fantasy stuff that sounds too much like Tolkien. Cause it's hard to get any better.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:11 am

Oo that's just what I need! Thank you. :hug: I'll have to make a big pot of tea in a bit too.

There is still one of the History of Middle-earth books on my shelf that I haven't read. I fear it will be ages till I get to read that one because there are so many others I have already started and need to finish first. I enjoyed the HoME a lot though they aren't always easy reads. They remind me of text books what with all the notes in them.

Actually, the book I am reading now (for my thesis) is the most interesting text book I ever had. no footnotes, no annotations, clear and simple language. :D Perfect!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Erumahtar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:00 am

It's nice to see you back here, Canamarth.

Neither do I remember the names of all the Elves who appear in The Sil but I really liked it. At that time I wanted so badly to read something related to the LotR that I would have read any book they would have given me.
I haven't read any History of Middle-earth books. I don't know any of them has been translated into Greek and I don't think I can find them here in Athens. There are few people who are intrested in Tolkien's work, so the publishing houses have not published all of his work.
Maybe when I will travel in an English speaking country, I will try to get theHistory of Middle-earth books. I know I can buy them online but at the moment I can't afford such thing.

C u later, guys :wink:
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:24 am

You're from Greece, Erumahtar? Do you happen to know the Greek Tolkien Society The Prancing Pony? I met quite a few of its members on various events of the British and German societies. I'm sure they know about any Greek translations there are.

I think I'm at volume 8 of the History. Need to be in the right kind of mood to actually read a book.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:58 pm

*jumps in with both feet*

:hihi: on the Preciousssssss thread. My the old thread was a pretty big deal, but then again, Maeglin was a heavy poster back then. :D

Glad you restarted it up, Canamarth. :hug:

Hello Eru. From Athens? I spent 6 months in Athens several years back. I loved every moment of it and surprisingly picked up a fair amount of the language. By the time I left the cheeky people I was staying with couldn't say much that I didn't understand at least the gist of what was being said. ;) Forget reading it though. Pffffffft.

:hihi:
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Erumahtar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Canamarth, though I am writing from Greece, I am not Greek. I am from Albania, but I have been living here since 2000. I am a second generation immigrant, but I am completely familiar with the language and other aspects of life here in Greece. In fact, I am more familiar with Greek language than with my native language, which sounds weird, but it's true.

I have heard about the Prancing Pony, but I haven't had the chance to meet with them. I am even a member of their forum, but not very active. Hope to meet with them some day soon.

rwhen, I am glad you liked your time in Athens. Ελπίζω να μας ξανάρθεις σύντομα. :D (Hope you understand this.)
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:03 am

Erumahtar, make sure you go to one of their events if there's anything in your area. They're a really nice bunch. And make sure to tell them someone from the German Tolkien Society recommended them. ;)

Hey, rwhen, glad to see you jumping in. Were we lucky that the ground wasn't wet or what?

Did you know any Greek before you actually went to Athens or did you pick that all up while you were there, rhwen?
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:32 am

I got the tape for learning some Greek about a week before I left and the first thing I learned was, thank you...which the tape said it sounded like this.... eff - cah - rees - toe.... So I am on the plane and I think to try out my Greek word and a poor woman (who was obviously a native Greek) who just stared at me with a "WHAT" expression on her face. The flight attendant kindly corrected me...it is NOT eff-cah-rees-toe...it is eff-car (roll the r) ess - toe... with accents in there. *sigh* But I learned it all while I was there. I would take the phrase book that I bought when we got to Athens and learn ten lines a day. So in a few months I could get on very well actually. To learn to speak Greek is not all that hard, to learn to read or write it, well that is another story...

So Eru...no, I am afraid I did not understand what you wrote. :D:D

and yes, good thing the ground wasn't mud or something, I could have sone some real damage to the thread.

:hug: all Precioussssssssss peoples. How is everyone?
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Next

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby